Elmhurst auditions?

Frangapani

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending big hugs to all those who didnt get the response they wanted today, keep remembering that as a proportion of all the gifted dancers in the UK the number of classical dancers these four main schools take is tiny - I'm sure they would love to take more. There will be other opportunities.

To those who got a positive reply, enjoy your day at finals and a huge well done.

xx

• Like 3

All I would say is that it's just a "no" AT THE MOMENT, it's not a "never". There are so many reasons why people get a "no" at any given time, it could purely be down to not enough beds. It's not the end of the dream - just a minor delay. Xx

• Like 3

Hello all - our No arrived yesterday :(

Didn't want to tell you on the forum til now, because wanted DD to know before the internet did!

Everyone: it's not a No, it's a Not Yet. This makes you strong. :)

And of course well done, well done, well done to everyone who had a Yes! Big, big Congratulations and have a fantastic finals! :D

• Like 6

Congratulations to all those with a yes for the finals! Have a lovely day :)

Hugs to all those dealing with a 'no' letter. I don't think it's humanly possible not to be dissapointed, but as others have said, its not a reflection of ability or talent, but is often down to practicalities such as lack of beds. Hope all you wonderful and talented dancers stay confident and continue to enjoy dancing

To anybody still waiting - hope the post comes soon.....

• Like 1

Ours was a 'No' too sadly but onwards and upwards, as they say. My DD used to the 'no's' and doesn't seem too dejected this time. She recently got into the Aylesbury EYB production of Sleeping Beauty so I reminded her of that and what she has to look forward to.

Now wishing lots of success to all those Yes's for Finals........xxxxxxxxxx

• Like 2

Ours was a 'No' too sadly but onwards and upwards, as they say. My DD used to the 'no's' and doesn't seem too dejected this time. She recently got into the Aylesbury EYB production of Sleeping Beauty so I reminded her of that and what she has to look forward to.

Now wishing lots of success to all those Yes's for Finals........xxxxxxxxxx

My youngest DD is also doing EYB in Aylesbury! She's 11.

Older DD was ill on audition day for that, so didn't go.

• Like 1

Hello

I'm a new member - have been reading the forum with interest over the past couple of weeks whilst waiting for audition results. It has been really good to share experiences and know I was not the only one waiting for the postman! My DD got a yes for the finals at Elmhurst, still waiting for Tring to ge back to us from 16th Jan and at RBS on Sunday (Bristol) and Hammond on Wed. I hate this waiting!

• Like 1

Just want to throw in here - whilst it will feel like the end of the world to an 11 year old - there have been plenty of dancers who didn't go to vocational school at 11 who went on to have professional careers. And similarly plenty who did go to vocational school who didn't go on to be dancers. It's only the start of the road.

Another word of wisdom my dd's teacher gave me was that it can be HARDER for those who don't get rejections early on, because when they do come, when they are 16/19/whatever they just don't know how to handle it.

The first 'Nos' are horrible - for the child and for the parent. They often seem to get better at handling them as time goes on. I'm not sure that we do! :)

• Like 2

My youngest DD is also doing EYB in Aylesbury! She's 11.

Older DD was ill on audition day for that, so didn't go.

In certain circumstances Miss Lewis will let people audition by DVD, so if your older DD still wants to do it you could email Miss Lewis to ask. My DD is also doing EYB at Aylesbury, it's a popular location! Lovely theatre. :-)

Sorry to go off topic slightly. :-)

Just want to throw in here - whilst it will feel like the end of the world to an 11 year old - there have been plenty of dancers who didn't go to vocational school at 11 who went on to have professional careers. And similarly plenty who did go to vocational school who didn't go on to be dancers. It's only the start of the road.

Another word of wisdom my dd's teacher gave me was that it can be HARDER for those who don't get rejections early on, because when they do come, when they are 16/19/whatever they just don't know how to handle it.

The first 'Nos' are horrible - for the child and for the parent. They often seem to get better at handling them as time goes on. I'm not sure that we do! :)

Very wise words Glowlight. :-)

Wise words indeed. It is really upsetting when they get those "no" letters - and yes, many will go on, keeping trying and get in somewhere for sixth form and go on to be professional dancers. But being realistic - the majority will probably be more like my daughter and many of her JA friends - who had a lovely time and some wonderful experiences and then find something else that interests them and go in a different direction.

So, no it's not the end of the world and it's not the end of a future dance career, but it may also be the start of something completely different.

(I'm just glad my son stuck at it despite being assessed out of WL - I've had a whale of a time :D )

• Like 2

Juliew, this is a refreshing dose of reality. The ballet world is very tough and very few make it to professional level even if they do get a whole string of yesses at a young age. There are undoubtedly some who get early setbacks and no letters that go on to succeed but I am afraid that sometimes the no letters are simply an indication that a child does not have the potential. This is also not the end of the world but I would suggest to anyone that gets more than the odd one of these that they get an independent assessment of their child's ability as this may save much heartache later on as expectations can then be sensibly managed.

Also, I have learned the hard way that invites to the final are nothing to do with the availability of beds as the schools obviously want to keep their options open. if they see someone that they really like in the first audition they will want to see them again and It is only after the final audition that the schools start to juggle who they can and can't take.

I don't think you'd be human if the "no"s were easier! :-). After all, as parents, it's gut wrenching when someone rejects your most beloved child; we want to protect them from hurt and harm yet here we are, delivering them into situations where a "no" is much more likely than a "yes"!

But in real life, the people who've been through the mill tend to cope with change, rejection, disaster etc. much more capably than people who everything has come to easily and without testing circumstances. I know for the rare few, everything goes perfectly - perhaps they win at their very first festival, get outstanding results in every exam, breeze into an Associate Scheme, breeze into voc. school, never have an injury, graduate, get a contract with RB, become Principal....how wonderful for them - but when life, as it inevitably does - throws that first curve ball in whatever form, how will they cope?

I'm convinced that by letting our children put themselves at risk of rejection early, we are giving them a valuable coping mechanism for adult life. Even if the only lesson we, and they, learn is "Don't take it personally". :-)

• Like 4

We were told at DDs audition that they could take up to 30 for the 6th form, same as any other year but they rarely took more than 24. They aim for 50% male 50% female dancers but usually end up with more girls than boys. It was about 21 funded places in total. I don't know how many they take to finals first.

In certain circumstances Miss Lewis will let people audition by DVD, so if your older DD still wants to do it you could email Miss Lewis to ask. My DD is also doing EYB at Aylesbury, it's a popular location! Lovely theatre. :-)

Sorry to go off topic slightly. :-)

Thank you Spanner - I didnt know that! will ask my DD if she would like me to ask Miss Lewis. Thanks again :)

• Like 1