Royal Ballet Russian Tour - Should they go?

I just noticed that the Mariinsky is coming to London this summer.  So the converse question arises - will anyone be boycotting those performances over this issue?  Can't say I have that moral fibre but am more likely to be limited by ticket prices, if they are anything like the Bolshoi's last year.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a companion piece to the Bourne interview in today's Times where the RB tour was mentioned.  A company spokesman is cited as saying that the issue has been discussed recently: "People sometimes do not go for lots of reasons, family reasons for example."  Apparently referring to planned tours by the RB, the RSC and Scottish National Theatre, it was stated that the companies declined to confirm whether any members had decided not to go because of the new legislation.

So far, I've not found another paper that has picked up on this interview or article.

According to an article in the German magazine "tanz", also Svetlana Zakharova and Ivan Vasiliev signed the letter supporting the annexation of Crimea by Russia (see my post from March 15th), among 500 other Russian artists. Here's an article in the New York Times about the petition, started by the Russian Ministry of Culture.

Mr O'Hare is speaking at the Ballet Association tonight, if he takes questions maybe someone can ask him. Bet he doesn't answer.

Bet he doesn't know, isn't it down to the government to make these decisions?  The shooting incident reported today may mean the uneasy situation is about to escalate.

Mr O'Hare is speaking at the Ballet Association tonight, if he takes questions maybe someone can ask him. Bet he doesn't answer.

And I wouldn't expect him to.  If particular dancers don't wish to travel for any reason, it's not appropriate for the director of the company to make those names or reasons public.

If the decision were made that the company should not travel, that would have to be made following discussions with a number of interested parties (including the FCO).  As of last week, the tour is still on.

• Like 5

Well Kevin was asked the question and made two important points. First, going on tour is an option under each dancer's contract so it is up to them whether they want to go on a specific tour. Secondly, he thinks mixing culture and politics is a dangerous game that should be avoided. He also mentioned that the invitation to tour came from the Bolshoi, not the Russian government.

• Like 3

Well Kevin was asked the question and made two important points. First, going on tour is an option under each dancer's contract so it is up to them whether they want to go on a specific tour. Secondly, he thinks mixing culture and politics is a dangerous game that should be avoided. He also mentioned that the invitation to tour came from the Bolshoi, not the Russian government.

I like Kevin O'Hare's answer. However, I was not aware of such option under members of the company's contracts:
"...going on tour is an option under each dancer's contract so it is up to them whether they want to go on a specific tour."

If several leading members of the company opt to withdraw from a specific tour (any tour), wouldn’t it be detrimental to the casting and success of that tour and eventually to the image of the company?
Edited by Amelia

The odds of that happening are very unlikely. The dancers really look forward to them. At this time of the year any injured dancer is really keen to prove their fitness. History has also shown that some dancers are introduced into roles for the first time whilst on tour

Hi, Angela - you are wrong in reporting this letter that culture figures signed. The text did not say they supported the annexation of Crimea, which occurred a week after the letter was raised (weekend 8-10 March). It stated that the signatories believed in Ukraine and Russia being of one shared culture, and that the future was together. It concluded that this was why they supported Putin's position over Ukraine - it is important to remember that this letter was launched by the Culture Minister at the general Culture Council. Therefore it cannot be said that people signed up to the annexation - at the time the letter was being raised, the potential referendum was still being hotly debated. Some of them, interviewed in the press, said they believed Putin's position at the time was to negotiate, talk, and settle the disturbances going on. Whether others believed something else, and signed up to that, is not possible to say from here. I have been following the Russian press on this on my blog. Ismene

According to an article in the German magazine "tanz", also Svetlana Zakharova and Ivan Vasiliev signed the letter supporting the annexation of Crimea by Russia (see my post from March 15th), among 500 other Russian artists. Here's an article in the New York Times about the petition, started by the Russian Ministry of Culture.

Three days ago, many Russian artists signed a letter to Izvestia in which they support Putin's annexation of Crimea. Gergiev is among them, which causes German newspapers to question his job as designated chief conductor of Munich Philharmonic from 2015 on. He already had problems in Munich because of his homophobia; it may well be that, in the end, he'll have to quit before he even starts. Tsiskaridze is also on the list, and Vladimir Urin, the new Bolshoi director. 

• 1 month later...

To go or not to go?

But the ballet life not only in Moscow but in Ukraine too is going on. Amazingly, at this anxious time in Ukraine Margaret Willis, perhaps the gentliest of critics, found herself on the Black Sea shores and sent from there her review of “Giselle” performed by the ballet company at the Odessa Opera and Ballet Theatre, one of the loveliest theatres in the world, btw.

and pictures of the theatre:

I see in today's Sunday Times it is reported that two members of the Royal Ballet are declining to join the company in Russia in protest about the anti-gay laws. The Royal Ballet's spokesperson appears to confirm the facts but has declined to give any names (allegedly one male and one female).

I see in today's Sunday Times it is reported that two members of the Royal Ballet are declining to join the company in Russia in protest about the anti-gay laws. The Royal Ballet's spokesperson appears to confirm the facts but has declined to give any names (allegedly one male and one female).

It is interesting that it is over a human rights concern and yet I assume that the same two dancers may well be joining for the China portion where certain human rights issues are equally strained.  Such considerations - on a global scale - are oft hard to balance methinks.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

It is interesting that it is over a human rights concern and yet I assume that the same two dancers may well be joining for the China portion where certain human rights issues are equally strained.  Such considerations - on a global scale - are oft hard to balance methinks.  

Yeah I thought about that. And i'm sure the RB have toured to places in the past where the LGBT community is as persecuted as they are in Russia. Such a difficult one. I admire anyone who takes a stand, but I think it's impossible to be 100% consistent all the time. You'd never leave the house.

• Like 2

On the Bolshoi website the cast of the Royal Ballet Manon and Triple Bill are online!

Manon - Marianela Nunez (20.06), Lauren Cuthbertson (21.06, 13.00), Sarah Lamb (21.06, 19:00), Natalia Osipova (22.06) 
Des Grieux - Federico Bonelli (20.06), Matthew Golding (21.06, 13.00), Steven Macrae (21.06, 13.00), Carlos Acosta (22.06) 

Lescaut - Thiago Soares (20.06), Rioychi Hirano (21.06, 13.00), Alexander Campbell (21.06, 19:00, 22.06) 

Monsieur GM - Christopher Saunders (20.06, 22.06), Gary Avis (21.06, 13:00 and 19:00) 

Lescaut Mistress - Laura Morera (20.06), Claire Calvert (21.06, 13.00), Helen Crawford (21.06, 19:00 22.06)

The Triple Bill (Rhapasody, Tetractys, DGV)
RHAPSODY
Laura Morera, Steven Macrae (June 17) 
Yyuhi Choe, Valentino Zucchhetti (June 18)

TETRACTYS
Federico Bonelli - Lauren Cuthbertson - Nicol Edmonds  - Paul Kay  - Sarah Lamb - Edward Watson - Steven Macrae - Marianela Nunez - Natalia Osipova  -Thiago Soares  - Akane Takada - Eric Underwood 

DGV
Zenaida Yanowski, Natalia Osipova, Marianela Nunez, Laura Morera 
Eric Underwood, Edward Watson, Thiago Soares, Valeri Hristov (June 17) 

Tierney Heap, Akane Takada, Melissa Hamilton, Beatriz Stix-Bryunell 
Rioychi Hirano, Tristan Daiya, Matthew Golding, Valentino Zucchetti (June 18)

Indeed they are.  I wonder if any of the dancers boycotted the China tour last time around because of human rights abuses - I don't remember hearing anything about it if they did.  OTOH, some human rights issues obviously get a higher profile/more press than others - it doesn't necessarily mean that they are any more or any less important than other rights to the people being deprived of them.

• Like 1

On the Bolshoi website the cast of the Royal Ballet Manon and Triple Bill are online!

Manon - Marianela Nunez (20.06), Lauren Cuthbertson (21.06, 13.00), Sarah Lamb (21.06, 19:00), Natalia Osipova (22.06) 
Des Grieux - Federico Bonelli (20.06), Matthew Golding (21.06, 13.00), Steven Macrae (21.06, 13.00), Carlos Acosta (22.06) 

Lescaut - Thiago Soares (20.06), Rioychi Hirano (21.06, 13.00), Alexander Campbell (21.06, 19:00, 22.06) 

Monsieur GM - Christopher Saunders (20.06, 22.06), Gary Avis (21.06, 13:00 and 19:00) 

Lescaut Mistress - Laura Morera (20.06), Claire Calvert (21.06, 13.00), Helen Crawford (21.06, 19:00 22.06)

The Triple Bill (Rhapasody, Tetractys, DGV)
RHAPSODY
Laura Morera, Steven Macrae (June 17) 
Yyuhi Choe, Valentino Zucchhetti (June 18)

TETRACTYS
Federico Bonelli - Lauren Cuthbertson - Nicol Edmonds  - Paul Kay  - Sarah Lamb - Edward Watson - Steven Macrae - Marianela Nunez - Natalia Osipova  -Thiago Soares  - Akane Takada - Eric Underwood 

DGV
Zenaida Yanowski, Natalia Osipova, Marianela Nunez, Laura Morera 
Eric Underwood, Edward Watson, Thiago Soares, Valeri Hristov (June 17) 

Tierney Heap, Akane Takada, Melissa Hamilton, Beatriz Stix-Bryunell 
Rioychi Hirano, Tristan Daiya, Matthew Golding, Valentino Zucchetti (June 18)

Thank you. Had kind of assumed Muntagirov would be performing at the Bolshoi.

What about countries where women are habitually abused and/or deprived of basic rights?

What would be the test as to what constitutes basic rights?  

What is the standard?  Is it a standard based on a Western conception of human rights?  An Eastern standard?  

Does a ballet company's tour to a country imply approval of the country?

Or conversely, might more contact with other cultures open up a closed society?

One could also ask  - should a ballet company perform ballets in which women are victimized?  (Giselle, La Bayadere, Swan Lake, etc)

It's a thorny slope....I don't know the answers.

• Like 3

Vadim will be rather busy doing ENB's Romeo & Juliet in June. :-)

Unfortunately, in a way, otherwise he would presumably have stepped in for Oberon.  Oh well, God willing he should have plenty of time to do that role in the future.  And I'd assumed that was getting in the way of him rehearsing Manon, too.

You'll be able to see Vadim in Manon in the autumn. Not all the principals would have been able to perform in Manon in Russia anyway. On a quick glance through the casting it's not obvious who the dancers who have declined to go are. All the principals seem to be accounted for apart from one, assuming that Kish and Pennefather are still injured, but perhaps I shouldn't speculate.

As the Company has clearly been careful NOT to mention names, speculation here is unlikely to be in any way helpful.  Nor would I set much store by the newspaper references to 'senior' or 'top' dancers - those concerned could be in any one or more grades.

• Like 4