Royal Ballet & English National Ballet dancers in Sochi

Royal Ballet & English National Ballet dancers in Bilateral UK-Russia Year of Culture 2014

Bilateral UK-Russia Year of Culture 2014 will be marked in Olympic Sochi with the performance of the principal dancers with the Royal Opera House and the English National Ballet.

http://balletnews.co.uk/royal-ballet-english-national-ballet-dancers-in-bilateral-uk-russia-year-of-culture-2014/

Bilateral UK-Russia Year of Culture 2014 will be marked in Olympic Sochi with the performance of the principal dancers with the Royal Opera House and the English National Ballet.

Not to mention even starrier names from the Russian ballet scene.

Diana Vishneva is appearing in the opening ceremony today.  Coverage on TV kicks off around 3pm but if anyone knows where in the programme she is likely to appear, do share, as I don't relish the prospect of sitting through a parade of giant cuddly bears with perhaps a few ICBM transporters thrown in for nostalgia..

updated: the timing of her latest instagram pic suggests she's on early in the proceedings

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 4

Does anyone know whether the gala is being recorded and will be shown in the UK?  The opening ceremony contained some dancing but very little 'ballet' and the merest glimpse of Zacharova & Vasiliev.  More of Vishneva but I would not have known it was her unless the commentator had told me.  The ceremony itself was very spectacular and very, very well done. I thought the commentary excellent too

I had forgotten about the Olympics and turned the TV on about 5.30pm just in time to see Ivan Vasiliev doing something amazing, so decided to watch the rest, thought it was all very artistic paying particular attention to Russian music and art, liked the sequence to Swan Lake music but wouldn't known it was Diana Vishneva, I can now see it was as there is a photo of her on the front page of today's Times.

There is good coverage of the ice skating, next week's Radio Times has a booklet included, the highlights are on BBC2 at around 5pm, and full coverage on the red button at about 3pm.

• Like 1

Thanks Beryl H just love the ice skating. Some years you get all the short programmes and preliminary bits and some years lucky to find the final pieces without having to record the whole of the games going on between 2 and 6 in the morning!!

• Like 1

Enjoyed seeing ballet included in the Opening Ceremony. I thought the Swan Lake section worked well visually- particularly the crane shots. The War & Peace section was charming. I hope it was a sprung floors so no one picked up an injury as they were dancing their hearts out .

For those who missed the ballet scene in the Opening Ceremony:

http://balletoman.com/1260-the-first-ball-of-natasha-rostova-episode-from-the-novel-of-leo-tolstoy-war-and-peace-2014.html

The first ball of Natasha Rostova

(Episode from the novel of Leo Tolstoy War and Peace)

Svetlana Zakharova - Natasha Rostova

Vladimir Vasiliev - Natasha's father

Danila Korsuntsev - Andrei Bolkonsky

Alexander Petukhov - Pierre Bezukhov

Ivan Vasiliev - Hero of War of 1812

And this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26112522

Edited to add a link.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1

Several photographs from the Russian edition of “Tatler”, with some recognisable faces:

http://www.tatler.ru/vash_vihod/304030_sochi2014_zvezdnie_kadri_s_otkritiya_olimpiadi.php#p=304042;

A photo of the final parade at the end of the concert of Russian and British dancers:

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9114/55981814.95/0_b9033_1c4e3489_-1-orig

How many faces can we guess?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught a clip from the closing ceremony of the Games which featured a further ballet sequence. It seemed to be reflecting ballets created by Russians - I glimpsed costumes from Firebird, Spectre de la Rose and the Dying Swan. Does anyone know who was dancing?

Just caught a clip from the closing ceremony of the Games which featured a further ballet sequence. It seemed to be reflecting ballets created by Russians - I glimpsed costumes from Firebird, Spectre de la Rose and the Dying Swan. Does anyone know who was dancing?

“Sheherazade”: Golden Slave - Denis Rodkin (Bolshoi), Zobeide - Alisa Sodoleva (Mariinsky)

“The Dying Swan” - Maria Semenyachenko (Bol)

“La Spectre de la rose” - Anton Korsakov (Mar) ?

“The Firebird” - have no idea.

Diaghilev - Yuri Smekalov (Mar)

I also saw Anastasia Kolegova’s face (Mar) among soloists.

A big ballet gala-concert took place in Sochi last night. Among those who took part were Zakharova, Polunin, Zagrebin, Ryzhkova, Sarafanov, Bondareva and other Russian dancers. 

There were also dancers there from New York and Germany

Edited to add the link.
Edited by Amelia