Upper school audition results 2014

Frangapani

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed results from auditions this year - DD had a no from ENB school, but so did everyone else that auditioned on the 8th. When she was at Central on Saturday, there were rumours flying around the ENB School is oversubscribed and they have already given out all of their Final places, so no one stands a chance. Still waiting to hear from Central, but they were packed in like cattle and had no room to move in the audition studio, so not hopeful. Got 2 more auditions .... what is Ballet Theatre Uk like? DD was told they are 10 years behind the times and not to audition, but we are running out  of options, because she is 17. Please advise and keep everything crossed both for her and everyone else auditioning.

Welcome to the forum alwaysbroke.  Audition time is really stressful but it really will not help to listen to rumours as all it does is add to the stress, which neither you nor your DD need.  We were told by one mum, for example, how rubbish schools X & Y were and that her DD was going to school Z.  Can you guess which 2 schools her DD had been unsuccessful for?  In your message above, for example, it is clear that someone has been stirring as Ballet Theatre Uk is new - it will be their first intake this September so no one has experience of their full time school.  However, if you do a search on here, I am sure you will find feedback from their summer school.  All the best to your DD for her remaining auditions.

• Like 2

Couldn't have put it better myself 2dancersmum!

Welcome to the forum alwaysbroke.

Perhaps pay a visit to the thread called Questions about Upper School Auditions (pinned at the top).  There will be lots of suggestions of different schools there  (Elmhurst, Tring, Ballet West, Nothern, Rambert...  the list goes on, these are just a few you haven't mentioned).  If you can't find the information you're after in there feel free to add a question.  Some schools only take them from 18, so you've got time yet even if it doesn't happen this year.

• Like 1

Please dont be swayed by other peoples opinions both good or bad! Be informed yes but then make up your own mind.

How can anyone say a school is behind the times when it is not yet actually running is beyond me! The company is only 5 years old and has already been well received by critics and audiences alike.

As mentioned above there is a thread on their summer school. I have a very happy pupil on their associate scheme and am pleased with with her progress. I know some people including myself have had trouble getting some sort of communication from them though, maybe the person talking to your dd had experienced this?

Hopefully this side of things will improve but I can vouch for how nice the company is!

If you look on utube Ballet Theatre have some of their performances I thought they looked good not that I'm good at ballet, but my two DDs thought they looked different and we are going to try and see a performance this year. Don't know anyone that has been to s school but I expect someone does on this forum. Good luck

I'm not giving an opinion on BTUK school but I did email them with a number of questions and said I might look around the area when DD had her Elmhurst audition. I didn't get any sort of reply which did put me off sending DD there if they are hard to reach. I'm sure all this will be ironed out in time and they may be amazing but as they are going through a learning process too, I thought I'd rather send DD somewhere that has done it all any times before x

I'm not giving an opinion on BTUK school but I did email them with a number of questions and said I might look around the area when DD had her Elmhurst audition. I didn't get any sort of reply which did put me off sending DD there if they are hard to reach. I'm sure all this will be ironed out in time and they may be amazing but as they are going through a learning process too, I thought I'd rather send DD somewhere that has done it all any times before x

If I was doing things all over again I would think exactly the same way! Its always risky being the first set of pupils anywhere and it doesnt help instil confidence if emails are not responded too. Such a shame because if the teaching staff is going to be the same as for the associates then Id be happy to have a student go. And there is the very real opportunity to be involved with the company's work and performance which will be invaluable experience for their future students.

• Like 3

My DS auditioned on Feb 8 th for ENB and has got into finals - I'm certain they would always take someone into finals if they wanted them -otherwise there would be no point holding the audition at all .

I

My DS auditioned on Feb 8 th for ENB and has got into finals - I'm certain they would always take someone into finals if they wanted them -otherwise there would be no point holding the audition at all .

I'm very sorry but it's certainly NOT a rumour, he was informed by email not to bother with the final, and was offered a place. FACT.

Hello Vontothbart - slight misunderstanding . Someone had said that finals were possibly full , and that no one seemed to have got into finals from Feb 8 th audition . I just wanted to dispel that rumour - most certainly wasn't questioning your friends e mail. I wouldn't dream of it . Sorry if I've caused offence

I think the "rumour" comment was aimed at that there had been no successful Dd's or Dd's for the enbs finals from the feb 8th audition ! Tutugirl was merely dispelling that rumour with her Dd's success !! It was nothing to do with the ds bring offered a place straight away ! That's my interpretation of the thread anyway !!

• Like 1

Hello Vontothbart - slight misunderstanding . Someone had said that finals were possibly full , and that no one seemed to have got into finals from Feb 8 th audition . I just wanted to dispel that rumour - most certainly wasn't questioning your friends e mail. I wouldn't dream of it . Sorry if I've caused offence

Absolutely no offence taken tutugirl, I hope you can understand my frustration though, as I wrongly thought you were referring to me spreading rumours. Please don't think it was shouting text too, as I'm no keyboard warrior, as they are one of my pet hates. I was only trying to emphasise my post.

No need to apologise tutugirl - I thought it was clear what you meant.

There's no way anyone could know that noone was offered finals from that audition unless they work at the school or have been told that by the school.

Even if tutugirl hadn't confirmed that her DS was successful at the initial audition on 8 February, I would have disbelieved the rumour that no-one who auditioned on that date was successful. I am certain it will have been started by someone who is disgruntled that their DC wasn't successful at the preliminary audition on that date and has decided to 'blame' this on the date of the audition/spreading rumors that ENBS is full. We heard similar rumors from friends who couldn't believe that their DD didn't get into a particular associate scheme....

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 1

I am really new to this and feel quite out of my depth at the auditions - I am just the taxi driver! I am so thrilled for the children who get through, but feel apprehensive for DD waiting for more bad news. We are not hopeful after Central and only have 2 more auditions left. It is tempting to keep applying, but we are limited due to her being 17 and unable to pursue the Musical Theatre route (she can't sing). Do you contact the schools to find out why they have been rejected or just move on? I wish i could wave a magic wand and make everything come true. 

• Like 1

Thank you. It is such a worry - DD was forced to stay on in ot Y12 and made to turn down a 50% scholarship to a school last year. I hate setting her up to fail and can't believe how fierce the competition is. She was upset about ENB school and really wanted a final. Do you know how many Rambert and Norther take? We were told that 'she won't get a ballet job if she goes to Northern!'

Some people say horrid things and I don't know what to believe.

Thank you. It is such a worry - DD was forced to stay on in ot Y12 and made to turn down a 50% scholarship to a school last year. I hate setting her up to fail and can't believe how fierce the competition is. She was upset about ENB school and really wanted a final. Do you know how many Rambert and Norther take? We were told that 'she won't get a ballet job if she goes to Northern!'

Some people say horrid things and I don't know what to believe.

What an unfair thing to say about Northern! Fact is that even those at the "top" purely classical schools will struggle to get work "just" doing Ballet. You only have to look at the audition pages of DanceEurope or Network dance to see how the vast majority of companies want versatile dancers rathet than those purely classically trained.

And I personally think getting a cruiseship job is not a bad achievement at all.

Ive no direct recent experience of Northern but have heard only positives about it.

Please dont let others negative opinions influence you, especially if they havent direct experience of the places they are talking about themselves.

And please, all you students out there, if you really want to be paid to dance, prepare to be versatile!

• Like 13