Do you go to the Stage Door?

Thanks to all those who told me how to find the stage door. I plucked up the courage to wait outside the Stage Door after the Swan Lake show last night for Zakharova and, after an hour, was rewarded! There was quite a crowd waiting for her. In the end she sat in the booth inside and security let us in a few at a time to meet her. I managed to get a signed program and a little conversation and she let me video it on my phone. Such an angel! I was surprisingly not as nervous as I thought I'd be! God, she's perfect. :)

(On an aside it was interesting to see how tiny and slim the ballerinas are as the ballerinas of the CdB came out whilst we were waiting for Zakharova; and also how different they look in their street clothes. I was more surprised by how tiny they all were! Rodkin also got mobbed by lots of girls and was kind enough to take selfies with all of them and he got a round of applause to which he theatrically bowed with a flourish. i'm not gay but he is gorgeous! It seems they all shrink to become human once off stage!)

A great experience. Next persons to meet I hope: Lopatkina, Osipova and Obraztsova and, I hope, Tsiskiradze and Vasiliev too. I will also remember to take a bouquet of flowers next time I meet any of them (including I hope Svetlana again!)

• Like 7

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

…all chanting "We want Rudi, in the nudy!", or maybe that's apocryphal!

Not apocryphal exactly, Richard Buckle the critic coined that one.  A fabrication of course.

The numbers were occasionally so great the police were summoned to assist with crowd control..

• Like 2

I was amazed at how slight he was too and had the epitome of an artists face and demeanour for me.....well at the moment off signing my programme anyway......( Don't ask to explain just something he gave off)

• Like 2

i'd imagine in the years when Nuruyev was at his pomp, there must have been hundreds of adoring females at the stage door?

Many years ago, I think it was 1987, I went to see Nureyev in Giselle. I had an amphitheatre ticket but people were flourishing huge amounts of money and begging me and anyone else they saw to sell them a precious ticket.

After the performance I made my way to the stage door and was one of the first to get there. I saw Ninette de Valois and wondered if I should ask her for an autograph, but I chickened out ( years later, a friend who knew her said she would have been delighted if I had asked!). I also saw Fiona Chadwick, Sylvie Gullem and many others, not quite sure how long I was standing, maybe about 30-45 minutes, when I turned around and  couldn't believe how many people were waiting. The crowd stretched from Covent Garden station all the way down Floral Street and round Bow Street, I have never seen so many people at a stage door before or since.

Nureyev eventually came out and I was the second person he signed for, He stared at me with his magnetic, dangerous eyes, my mind went blank, I managed to whisper a thank you and went home feeling very elated.

• Like 12

Many years ago I was in the amphi at ROH, front row around towards the side.  During the interval I was looking down into the stalls and saw Ninette de Valois sitting in what someone told me was her usual seat.

Within minutes she was surrounded by young girls wanting to speak to her.  How lovely that she still had (and still has) such renown amongst youngsters.

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

Has anyone waited at the stage door for Osipova since she's joined RB? 

Also -- since I might be going to Moscow/St. Petersburg for business --is it possible to go to the stage door at the Bolshoi and Mariinsky?

Thanks in advance. 

(I hope to meet Vishneva and Skorik too during the Mariinsky's London season in July/August.) A question about bouquets: I don't want to be holding a bouquet (or single rose!) during the performances so what is the etiquette? Do I give them to reception and ask them to give them back to me after the performance so i can give them at the stage door?)

Has anyone waited at the stage door for Osipova since she's joined RB? 

The one and only time I've waited at the stage door was for Osipova; Giselle at the RB, January 2014. Didn't have to wait long; maybe 30 minutes or so. She was very nice and spent quite a bit of time talking to those who had waited; posed for photographs, signed cast sheets etc. My signed cast sheet (Osipova and Acosta) is a much prized possession :) . 

• Like 6

A question about bouquets: I don't want to be holding a bouquet (or single rose!) during the performances so what is the etiquette? Do I give them to reception and ask them to give them back to me after the performance so i can give them at the stage door?

Hi, sibarite2015. At the Mariinsky you can bring your bouquet to the stage door and it will be delivered to the addressee.

The stage door at the Bolshoi is in a separate building from both Bolshoi's stages, the historic and the new one. They are linked by a glass bridge and subway corridors. So when you enter the Bolshoi theatre, just before going through the security people, show them your bouquet with a clearly written name of the particular dancer for whom the bouquet is intended. An usher will take your bouquet away and it will be presented to that dancer during the curtain calls.

Edited for typo.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the help Amelia. Unfortunately my visit to Russia didn't happen but it is still useful to know for future trips. Talking of stage doors has anyone ever had a bad experience there as in you've waited to meet a famous ballet dancer or ballerina and they've been really obnoxious?!

I started going to the Liverpool Empire stage door in the 80's and I have to say all the dancers without exception were really kind and patient with me - this super, star struck ballet fan. The SWRB dancers in particular were amazing and I became great friends with the then principle Nicola Katrak. So my early experiences were very positive and I know the dancers really appreciated the fans at the stage door. A couple of years ago in a moment of nostalgia, I decided to go round to the stage door again after an ENB performance. I was delighted to feel that same excitement when the dancers finally came out. Although rather depressed when I noticed just how young and tiny they all were, but that's another story..... Following the premier of AK Giselle last year I again went to the stage door and met Alina Cojucaru, who exited with Johan Kobborg who quickly stepped away leaving her to speak with us. Irek Mukhamadov was also there and when I said hello and told him how I had admired his dancing he thanked me and then pointed to the young ENB males and said they were great and were the future. Which I thought was really lovely. Tamara Rojo exited and recognised me from the previous year - maybe she was just polite? (I do it all the time 😉) and asked what I had thought of the show, I was very generous with my praises and enthusiasm and and I was thrilled when she then reached out and touched my arm thanking me. My favourite, recent, stage door story though was meeting Ed Watson, he was just so friendly, polite and humble. Really wish the RB toured up north, or that BRB came to Liverpool every year like they used to - and that really is another story.... Generally speaking my stage door experiences have been positive, although I have met a grumpy ballerina/rude ballerina, but I excused her as she had been nice previously and we all have our off days don't we?  And I was rather disappointed when I met a Canadian principle in Paris after Nijinsky....Anyway I've decided not to go to anymore stage doors, I want to remember the performance not a grumpy dancer.

• Like 6

Hello Sharon and welcome to the Forum!

I too wish BRB would come back to Liverpool but when the Lowry opened in 2000 the Arts Council "persuaded" them to go there rather than the centre of Liverpool or Manchester.  I do love going to The Lowry though!

I'm sad too that Northern Ballet seem to have stopped coming to Liverpool again.

I only go to the stage door for special occasions.  I don't really feel altogether comfortable.  When I have, though, the dancers have always been charming.

• Like 1

Thank you Jan. 

I saw Svetlana Beriosova sitting in the audience at the Empire one year the Royal were performing here. I was struck speechless, I just sat there staring at her. It was a photo of her in arabesque in a really old book that ignited my love for ballet. I so wish I had spoken to her. She was utterly beautiful.

Maybe I will go to the stage door for really special occasions after all...

Love this forum - it's wonderful knowing I'm part of a ballet crazy gang 😍

• Like 5

I have never ventured to the stage door because I think I would come out with some ridiculous  comment or small talk. I like to preserve the magic of a performance for at least the rest of the evening. However, having seen Fonteyn, Nureyev, Makarova and Guillem perhaps I should thought this through a little more!

• Like 2

I often go to the stage door and 99% of the time dancers are lovely with their fans.  I have encountered one grumpy Russian ballerina so avoid her.  In any case you can usually tell if a dancer is just wanting to get off home and not stop so as someone above said it's a case of use your common sense, be polite and sensitive to the fact the dancers must be tired after the show, and don't push your luck!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

.  In any case you can usually tell if a dancer is just wanting to get off home 

I think that all dancers want to get off home ;) but they also really appreciate it when people wait to see them.

Consideration is the key, I think - in relation to others who are standing there as well as to the artistes. And, as someone has said, once  dancers are out of the Stage Door area, the fact that they are in 'private life' territory needs to be respected.

I believe that, much earlier in this thread, I encouraged people not to be shy. So, once again, penelopesimpson and others, why not give it a go?

• Like 4

I'm sure he appreciated the flowers though.

last summer (a year ago)  I was standing at a bus stop and realised Ed Watson was standing behind me. He had a boot thingy on his leg and I was toying with the idea of asking him what had happened but as this wasn't strictly in a ballet environment I thought he might think it a bit funny a complete stranger asking him this ( not realising that I'd recognised him) so I chickened out.

i was told later by someone who knows him that he would have been absolutely fine about it! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

I've stood outside the stage door a few times with my sister and mum at the ROH to see the dancers and all I have met have spoken to us.  You can tell which ones are just wanting to leave quickly.  Vadim Murgitrov was lovely and despite having arm full of flowers, managed to sign our programmes and a photo with us.  

My fav was seeing David Hallberg at Moscow Domodovo Airport.  I had to look twice and then took a sneaky peak at his luggage just to make sure it was him.  This was at 6 in the morning but he was great as well and didn't mind me asking for his autograph and a selfie with him.  We had a chat about Moscow and what he was performing in at the Bolshoi.   

1958094_10153968154855037_1360787040_n.jpg

1509818_10153968154660037_749984184_n.jpg

Edited by Bravissima35
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, alison said:

I was thinking only the other day that I regretted not having told Ed Watson how much I'd appreciated his performance when I passed him in Floral Street the morning after a particularly good Mayerling ...

Oh, I envy you.  I would love to tell him how much I admire his artistry and that his performances are an absolute highlight in my life.

i was in Bologna last week and listened to his talk with the portrait artist as I got ready to go out for coffee.  The sun was shining red on the rooftops and I sat on the balcony and listened to his calm, respectful voice and thought how down to earth he sounded.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bravissima35 said:

I've stood outside the stage door a few times with my sister and mum at the ROH to see the dancers and all I have met have spoken to us.  You can tell which ones are just wanting to leave quickly.  Vadim Murgitrov was lovely and despite having arm full of flowers, managed to sign our programmes and a photo with us.  

My fav was seeing David Hallberg at Moscow Domodovo Airport.  I had to look twice and then took a sneaky peak at his luggage just to make sure it was him.  This was at 6 in the morning but he was great as well and didn't mind me asking for his autograph and a selfie with him.  We had a chat about Moscow and what he was performing in at the Bolshoi.   

10 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Oh, I envy you.  I would love to tell him how much I admire his artistry and that his performances are an absolute highlight in my life.

i was in Bologna last week and listened to his talk with the portrait artist as I got ready to go out for coffee.  The sun was shining red on the rooftops and I sat on the balcony and listened to his calm, respectful voice and thought how down to earth he sounded.  

Gosh, lucky you.  He is rather gorgeous.  I have never seen him dance but have got tickets for Giselle which I’ m so looking forward to.

Edited by John Mallinson
Photos removed
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bravissima35 said:

Vadim Murgitrov was lovely and despite having arm full of flowers, managed to sign our programmes and a photo with us.  

Vadim is always extremely courteous, generous with his time, and very patient at the Stage Door.

But his family name is Muntagirov!!

[Incidentally, I have just proved (to myself) that it is possible not only to delete text from a quote but also to take out pictures which don't need to be repeated ;)]

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Oh, do tell how

This is how I did it but I'm no expert!

Click 'Quote' to get the whole message in your reply box. Highlight the text you don't want and press 'delete' or 'back'. Click the side of the photo and press 'back' or 'delete' or, if you can, highlight the photo and press 'back' or 'delete'.

Good luck!

On 1/24/2014 at 06:02, Terpsichore said:

You know I think there have to be some boundaries between us and the dancers for our sakes as well as theirs.

however these boundaries are theirs to make ... 

Boundaries are interesting, i've always been a bit underwhelmed  by  celebrities, but  then again  when a family friend  is a World Champion  in an activity , and other acquaintances are national Champions  it;s a bit of a recalibration ... 

different  things have  different norms ...   talk to people who do certain activities   and  something  equivalent to TBR  ( or the calibre of   teachers  on Central;s  evening  classes rosta)  would never happen   or it'[d be  a very special occasion ... 

• Like 1