Tring 6th form auditions (2014 entry)

Guest Autumn days

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD said the panel were lovely and praised her for carrying on and involving her cough and sneeze into her Hamlet speech!! Though she did say to me that they didn't ask her any questions like 'why do you want to come to tring' 'Are you a good leader' whereas she said that all the girls came out talking about all the questions they'd been asked. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign :/

• Like 1

Dance2013, don't know about Tring but have always assumed that being on a waiting list could mean a long wait. Some that have been offered places at Tring will still be waiting to do finals elsewhere and then might be in the lucky situation of being able to choose what suits them best from their offers. Know that doesn't really help as the waiting is the worst bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dance 2013, my dd is also on reserve for place on tring dance course. I'm also wondering if anyone has heard yet of places being offered to the on reserve list? Waiting is awful, such a long process. Not sure when they started offering to reserves last year but know there were 10 taken from the reserve list.

Got our letter and DD wasn't given a scholarship :( but i did ring Tring and spoke to the head of drama as at her final audition he spoke to us and told us all our children had places at the school, and our letter completly went against that. He was very apologetic and told me that they were initally going to award dd a scholarhsip but there werent enough beds for everyone, and so looking at the finacial state of everyone in consideration they decided that it wasn't worth offering us the scholarhsip as it looked as if we couldn't accept the place anyway. I understand the reasoning but they were completly wrong, we would have been able to afford it and my husband was even willing to pay full fees so i am left feeling angry as DD is now in a state, her current school have told her she is useless to her face (beleive me, meetings have been had but have gotten no where, in fact when i mentioned her final at tring they just stared and asked why they should be impressed) so to hear she can't go to a school where she would have been able to persure her dream because they decided our financial state for us is really upsetting for her. Drama groups are few and far between here as are dance groups for her age and ability, and i feel so sorry for her. She knows that it is a set back which she will have to get over, but at our audition we were told she was in, that she'd got her place and she was the happiest she'd been in a long while; she was finally getting her chance. And now I feel actually slightly betrayed (is that the right word?) that we have been lied to our faces, and that she could have gone if Tring hadn't decided that we wouldn't be able to afford it without contacting us first.

It all gets so complicated. DD is on the reserve list, but I understood this would be open for quite some time. i have also been told by another mum who phoned Tring that there are groups on the reserve list according to how much funding you need - the more you need the lower on the list you are ????? As DD would need maximum funding, I have decided not to enquire as to where she is on the list as it is probably bad news, sometimes ignorance is bliss (or I'm a coward).

From what I have gathered, a DADA (with maximum maintenance portion) would not cover the boarding fees, but would go a long way towards paying for staying with a host family - another mum I know is convinced that the DADA would pay for everything - just wondering as I'm not expecting to hear any more from Tring. And so the waiting goes on ...........

Hang on in there Jazzpaws and try not to listen to speculation. There are still colleges out there that have not finished auditioning yet or allocated their initial DADAs. My DD knows of several people with offers at various places who have not yet heard from their first choices and still hold DADA offers elsewhere. DADAs are supposed to be awarded on merit not how much funding is required and you can see from the DADA website what parental contributions/maintenance portions would be. Once all results are out from Urdang, Central and Rambert I would expect waiting lists to start moving as I think many who apply for Tring will overlap with these schools. Fingers crossed for your DD.

• Like 2

From a post earlier on this thread it sounds like the boarding houses are close on £1000 a month (£9k a year)and with landladies half the cost. If you look at the sliding scale of parental contributions on the government website for DADAs you will be able to see roughly what you would be expecting to pay.  My DD is not at Tring - I am quoting costs previously mentioned in the thread. https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards

• Like 1

Had a look and maximum DADA maintenance  element is £4550 per year, so if a host family is charging around £500 per months over 10 months, that would cover it, or nearly there if you had to rent for the 12 months, which is the way forward I think for those qualifying for the DADA.

I certainly couldn't find another near £6,000 per year - horrors !! (I take it  you mean the shortfall takes into account the £4550) - I know it's nice to be in the boarding house, but this way makes it affordable for those on low income - how many go with host families Its her Life ?

Hi everyone, and jazzpaws, on reserve too, will have maximum to pay on dada, worried as dd favourite place. We will definitely be looking at staying with host family as boarding would be impossible for us financially, although i have never entered competitions and lottery until now and thats all i seem to be doing in my spare time. X

Hi everyone, and jazzpaws, on reserve too, will have maximum to pay on dada, worried as dd favourite place. We will definitely be looking at staying with host family as boarding would be impossible for us financially, although i have never entered competitions and lottery until now and thats all i seem to be doing in my spare time. X

• Like 2

Yes, the £1,978.33 is after the Dada allowance is taken off. So if you are receiving the max DADA award available, ie in income band under £21,000, then that is the net amount still left to pay I'm afraid. Yes, staying with a host family would certainly be cheaper. By the way, the DADA contribution towards accommodation is paid termly in the form of a cheque to the student, and not as one lump sum.

Really don't see how people do it, apart from using a host family. If income is under £21,000, to pay £6,000 per year for in not possible. If income is higher, there is much more to pay - not sure how all these boarding places are funded. I'd be interested to know how many use host families ?

My income is under £21,000 jazzpaws, in fact well under as I am a single parent on a low part-time income (I began job sharing when children younger, currently trying to extend my hours but to no avail yet) and I find meeting these accommodation fees almost impossible. I have had to borrow the money for this academic year on my mortgage :-( and use credit cards for other ongoing costs, shoes, uniform etc. Not good. Fortunately my dd has now been extremely lucky and managed to secure some local charity funding to help pay next year. Without that she probably would have to have left or stayed with host family. Apparently she currently knows of 2 girls who stay with a host family. There may well be others because she doesn't know about all those in the upper sixth or all those who on other courses, ie drama and MT.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know of at least ons still waiting to hear. My DD is going to Central, so all done and dusted for us luckily. Really feel for those still left hanging in limbo especially with the GCSE's now upon us. Really think all this should be done in a short sharp burst after the exams have finished x

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...