Tring 6th form auditions (2014 entry)

Guest Autumn days

Gosh yes, I remember (like it was yesterday) getting an email from ENBS only a couple of hours after I'd got home (and ds was on his way back to Elmhurst) offering him a place. I had no idea they would email, we were just expecting a letter in about a week maybe, so to say I was shocked is a bit of an understatement :-)

(Had to then wait nearly a week to hear that he'd got a DaDA but it was his first upper school offer and it was just such a relief to know that someone thought he was good enough!)

• Like 6

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In desperate need of advice.  My dd's ballet teacher has been overseas since December and was due back last week but has now informed us she will not be coming home until after my daughters audition at Tring.  She has no solo ......what do you all advise .......please :(

Edited by meggy13

Hi Klaris, I'm at the auditioning stage for upper schools and noticed your daughter auditioned at similar schools I am. I was wondering what school your daughter ended up in?

I've only had results from Ballet west and as your daughter offered at place in person - love the school but distance a bit of a worry

Thanks poppy.

In desperate need of advice.  My dd's ballet teacher has been overseas since December and was due back last week but has now informed us she will not be coming home until after my daughters audition at Tring.  She has no solo ......what do you all advise .......please :(

Hmmm. Get a new teacher!?

In all seriousness, if you are in contact with the teacher, I would ask her what she suggests, even if that means her referring you to another teacher who could provide some coaching.

• Like 4

I would also ask your teacher if she can refer you.  No doubt your DD is perfectly capable of making up her own solo but it is undoubtedly reassuring to get a teacher to at least advise, correct, suggest improvements etc.  Your teacher must have connections that could help.  When DD's ballet principal needed advice for DD to do advanced 1 exam (a new teacher at the school had actually taught her - 1st time she had taught it too) , she chatted to another RAD teacher and DD was able to take a class with her for a 2nd opinion as to whether she was ready for the exam.

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

I'm sure I will be just as anxious in a year or so. :-)

However, I believe Julie was merely trying to say that following an audition, there is literally nothing anyone can do to change the result. What will be, will be. Nothing flippant about it; just stating the obvious that getting in a tizz about what size the envelope will be will not help any of us, nor change the result.

Julie has been there, done that and got the t-shirt when it comes to auditions and we are lucky to have her as a Moderator.

Spanner, no one is getting in a tiz. Some helpful information was offered, the factual element was questioned for clarification and that element was then corrected. I think that we all know that nothing can change the result. It was the order to "just open it" that seemed flippant as it did not take into consideration the wishes of the individual families. 

Edited to move my comments out of the quote box.
Edited by mum in a spin

Thanks 2Dancersmum, good advice ......I am definately not thinking straight at the moment, initial reaction was to panic!

Meggy, it doesnot matter what style the solo is in. I also know for a fact that they dont mind seeing set exam dances, for example a variation or study from one of the grades. One of my students did this with her own "improvements" as she called them and was still offered a place.

They are looking at candidates ability to perform, not the choreography. Having said that if your daughter has time I also know a self choreographed piece is always welcomed!

And I also know a dodgy version of sugar plum fairy definately a no no!

Good luck

• Like 3

Hi Klaris, I'm at the auditioning stage for upper schools and noticed your daughter auditioned at similar schools I am. I was wondering what school your daughter ended up in?

I've only had results from Ballet west and as your daughter offered at place in person - love the school but distance a bit of a worry

Thanks poppy.

Hi Poppy,

She's at Rambert now and loves it. One of her friends (male) is at Ballet West and is having a great time there. Good luck with the rest of your auditions!

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

I think that the 6th form auditions have finished, now. It seems like ages since we were there - can anyone that was there more recently update us on when they said the results would be sent? They said the end of the first week of Feb to us but I know things may have changed as the time has passed!

I hope everyone had a good time at the auditions and fingers crossed for a good result!

• Like 1

Hi mum in a spin

We were there on the 21st , I thought the chappie that spoke 1st in the meeting said they wouldn't be sending out results until all dance auditions had finished. If this is the case I believe they have the 4 th yr auditions on Tuesday . I think if this is the case then we should receive the dreaded letters by the end of nxt wk or early part of the 2nd week in February . :)

He did say that, and I thought that very fair. Although when I was waiting for DD at the end (she is ALWAYS the last one out), the ballet mistress came and spoke to a family who had travelled over from Poland. She said how well their DD had done and they would love to have her, she needed to perform more but they will definitely be seeing her again. I was not eavesdropping, they were standing right by me and I couldn't help but hear. Perhaps they made an exception because they had travelled so far. Anyway, DD had a lovely day and we will hear around mid Feb like everyone else  ;)

Guest Autumn days

OK, it sounds as though there is still a long wait ahead of us, then! i wonder why it takes them so long when they have seen everyone and must have made some sort of decisions as they go!!

Pas de Chat - did your dd audition for 6th form? I wonder if perhaps the system is slightly different for lower school as the auditions are spread over such a long period of time whereas 6th form auditions have been back to back!

How nice for the Polish girl to have been given instant feedback!!

• Like 1