Recommended Ballet Summer Schools 2014

s.dancer

Will find out from friends DD as she was 13 last summer so was probably in this group then.

I went to the show on the last day and I'm sure some girls were on pointe in some pieces but they did some very nice more contemporary style pieces as well.

When she was at the Yorkshire one as she was only just 13 at the time she might have been put with the youngest group in that week but I think there was some mini pre assessment at the beginning (can't remember whether mum asked for it or whether they did as a matter of course) but they moved her into the middle group anyway.

Whether this happens on the ENB one I don't know but is it divided into junior and senior groups it could be the senior course is not the same week!!

Thanks for your reply!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this year DS is applying for Ellison Ballet and San Fransisco ballet SIs and also for the Dutch National and Prague Masterclass. The 2 former are his AD's recommendations and the 2 latter are what he would prefer (I think he would like to spend a summer in Europe for a change). Where he goes obviously depends on acceptance but potentially on any scholarship offered (we are feeling very poor!!!)

• Like 1

Do you mind saying what your level is thebunhead? As it seems you will be or very nearly be 15 by next summer so it may be worth looking at the senior ENB course if you are up at Advanced one or two level ballet. Otherwise you should be okay in the 11-14 group a bit difficult when ones birthday falls at an awkward time for these courses!!!

I am sitting my advanced foundation before Summer and I just turned 14 x

I seem to remember from last year that the Prague Masterclass sounded very good but in the end most of the summer schools/intensives will be of great benefit for all the young dancers on many levels....not just purely dance ones even!

Yes bun head it does seem as if that will be best for this year looking at the requirements for the senior course. Its better to be dancing really confidently at a slightly lower level than feeling a bit daunted at a higher level!! Have just sent off an email to Sydney asking how much pointe work there was on the 11-14 group last year

Linda x

When I am 15 I will be sitting advanced 1 but that will be next year so 11-14 will probably be best

Last year I contacted ENB about their summer school as my dd was 14, had taken her Adv Foundation and was studying Adv 1, so we asked if she could join the 15+ group. They said no, it would definitely be the 11-14 group as it was by age, not current level. She decided not to apply in the end, as she prefers things to be a challenge, and the travelling would have been difficult anyway.

Last year I contacted ENB about their summer school as my dd was 14, had taken her Adv Foundation and was studying Adv 1, so we asked if she could join the 15+ group. They said no, it would definitely be the 11-14 group as it was by age, not current level. She decided not to apply in the end, as she prefers things to be a challenge, and the travelling would have been difficult anyway.

That's good to know, thankyou! Currently still deciding where I am applying this year

I think I posted this in the wrong thread before.

Just to say that the YDA Summer School dates are:

July - 21st - 25th age 8-12 and 28th July - 1st August age 13-16.

They are also auditioning for Full Time training on 12th February and their Associate programme on 9th February.

Some international summer schools seem great quite a treck though especially to America :'(

totally agree about the distance and associated cost. I suppose because DS is at vocational school in America we naturally have a more international approach to summer schools. Plus he's always attended on scholarships so we use the money saved to pay for the flights.... there seem to be a lot of scholarships at US summer schools so I wouldn't discount them- can be a fantastic experience (provided your DC is old and confident enough to travel so far alone...)

Any suggestions for an 11 year old? Dd will be auditioning for NYB again this year as she had such a fantastic time last year, but if she doesn't get in I would like to perhaps give her the opportunity to have a taste of another residential summer school! 

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. My DD has just turned 16 (Year 11).  She has only been doing RAD classical ballet for 18 months (prior to this had danced for several years but on NATD syllabus which is nowhere near the standard of RAD - unfortunately I didn't realise this at the time). She got a Distinction at Grade 4 last Summer after only 10 months in the class.  She is now studying Grade 6 in a group and Intermediate privately (as well as practising alongside a student taking an Advanced 1 in a private class).  She is determined to make up for lost time as her desire is to get on a vocational course.  She did not audition for a 2014 place as we believed she should at least get her Intermediate first, but she hopes to apply for 2015.

She has got a place on the ENBS Spring Course but unfortunately the Summer Course is too high level for her age (requiring Adv 1).  The same applies for Central, London Studio, The Wells Dar Danse and probably YBSS. She is going to send in an application for Elmhurst as it doesn't seem to specify a minimum.  

What others would people recommend for her age? Does anyone have any experience of the RAD 'Performance' Summer Course.?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Edited by Wish22

Hello Wish22 and welcome to the Forum!  I can't answer your query but I am sure many of our members who use the Doing Dance Forum will be able to offer advice.

I hope you will tell us about your daughter's progress in the months and years to come.

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

My daughter will have just turned 10 in june and I was wondering which summer schools would be suitable for her. She is taking classes in inter foundation and intermediate at the moment. We have applied for the royal ballet summer school but the chances of getting that are very slim so would like some ideas for alternatives if possible. Any advise would be appreciated.

I've just booked DD onto the Tring Easter course-she's just 9, has been doing ballet for nearly 2 years and is about to take RAD grade 2 (having passed grade 1 with distinction last May). Her ballet teacher recommended the course as DD has been lapping up every ballet opportunity she is offered; being a student for the PDTD at RAD HQ during August, auditioning for the LCB (got through to the second round but no further) and the Junior Associate classes at HQ. She does musical theatre too but has never done tap so I'm hoping she won't be the only 9-yr-old who is in the same position.

She won't know anyone else who is going but she's desperate to board so that's what I've booked her in for. Do any of you have 9-yr-olds who will be there alone (at the start!).

Also, do any of you know about the t-shirts? Do they get worn throughout the week or are they souvenirs in the main?

Apologies for all the questions, I've been lurking for 18 months but always found my questions have been asked previously.

• Like 2

Wish22 - welcome! and Twoballerinas0004 - perhaps the Yorkshire Assembly summer course run by Yorkshire Ballet scholarship centre would suit both your DDs? It's now for ages 10 and over and specifies at least grade 4 standard, which would suit both of them and it's at Queen Margaret's school in Escrick, North Yorkshire so hopefully quite local for your DD, Twoballerinas0004 ;-)

DD really enjoyed this summer school which has great teachers, including Olivia Pickford and Brenda Last and full days with ballet, contemporary and jazz classes (don't worry if your DDs don't do jazz and/or contemporary, they will pick it up and be part of the end of week show with their class) in a fabulous setting. Evening activities included a barbecue and disco and each class uses the school swimming pool. It's also reasonably priced for 4 days of quality tuition and full boarding.

Have a look at www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com and do ask if you have any queries, the staff were very helpful.

Hi Legseleven

Thanks for this suggestion.  This looks a great alternative for my DD if Elmhurst is out of her reach.  I will contact them to check whether they get many 16 year olds.  I don't think she would mind being with age 14+ girls but I don't want her to end up being the only big girl with a bunch of younger dancers.  

• Like 1

I think they do have quite a few 15-16 year olds, Wish22, possibly some older students although I'm not sure. The senior groups were c ages 13 up from what I remember. DD was aged 12 and studying intermediate when she went, having taken her intermediate foundation the previous May ie 3 months before the summer school and was placed in Intermediates A group. Had she gone again the following year I would expect her to have been in Seniors B or possibly Seniors A as she was then studying advanced foundation and advanced 1. Many girls of her age were placed in Intermediates B group as they were studying at a lower level than intermediate - but class placement is done on the basis of level and age and I would be surprised if your DD wasn't placed with at least some students of a similar age. However, as you say it would be best to contact them just to check that :-)

Wish22 - another possibility for your DD , although it is not residential, might be Ballet Cymru/Riverfront summer school which has a course for 15 years+ - ballet.  I don't think the details for this year are online yet but you can get a taste of what is on offer from last years information.http://www.welshballet.co.uk/education/riverfront-summer-dance/

• Like 2

Hi twoballerinas0004

My dc has done Hammond and loved it. I think they can board from 8? There is no selection and covers all types of dance so may be moving away from exactly what you want. ... we found it useful as a fun way to find out whether vocational school would be an option dc would enjoy. ....