Recommended Ballet Summer Schools 2014

s.dancer

Hello, I went to YBSS and Elmhurst Summer School last year and I just turned 14. I was thinking about applying for ENB and Central School of Ballet Summer Schools this year and I was wondering what everyone thought about them and any other recommended summer courses? Thanks

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After a change if circumstances (someone has kindly offered to foot the bill for some medical costs for ds) I am looking for a summer school for dd

She is 12, did Harpenden last year & we were very impressed but this year needs to be residential.

We are looking for an emphasis on technique & personal corrections rather than having fun & large groups/just trying to follow on.

Picturesinthefirelight, YBSS is very good the teachers are great, the people are friendly and it is residential. I was in a group with dancers aged 13 to about 16 or 17 which was challenging however there was also a group 13 and under. We did ballet, contemporary, pointe and the younger ones also did character dancing. I learned a lot there and everyone got personal corrections. Hope this might be helpful!

My DS (nearly 14, Vocational School) did WL (on a scholarship - which for us is key) last year. He enjoyed it and would like to try out again this year, but I was wondering if any of you had any opinions on other summer courses for his age and ability. Yorkshire Ballet Seminars were the popular choice when I was a student, but that was a looong time ago !!!

Ellie, I enjoyed YBSS and last year the standard was high. That's great your DS enjoyed WL, quite keen myself to apply for the summer course. Is it for 2 weeks?

I think that this year for 14 year olds 2 weeks is compulsory at WL. (last year you could choose between 1 or 2) Go for it ! I think that the standard was very good at WL last year, I was just wondering about alternatives. x

I think that this year for 14 year olds 2 weeks is compulsory at WL. (last year you could choose between 1 or 2) Go for it ! I think that the standard was very good at WL last year, I was just wondering about alternatives. x

Thanks yes I think I will apply, not been to a 2 week course yet x

• Like 1

I seem to have written something similar on the cost of summer schools thread yesterday but my friends DD did YBSS last summer and loved it. You were probably in the same group but she did not board as we (mum dad and brothers and myself) were staying at a farmhouse just outside York. She lives in Sydney anyway.

She also did a week at the ENB summer school and although she enjoyed this too she preferred the York one. But how much of this was due to the farmhouse and their two dogs Im not sure!! I was certainly impressed with the overall standard of the pupils at YBSS and I loved the end of week show!!

Maybe if you have attended the York one it may be good to try a different one this year and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the ENB one.

I seem to have written something similar on the cost of summer schools thread yesterday but my friends DD did YBSS last summer and loved it. You were probably in the same group but she did not board as we (mum dad and brothers and myself) were staying at a farmhouse just outside York. She lives in Sydney anyway.

She also did a week at the ENB summer school and although she enjoyed this too she preferred the York one. But how much of this was due to the farmhouse and their two dogs Im not sure!! I was certainly impressed with the overall standard of the pupils at YBSS and I loved the end of week show!!

Maybe if you have attended the York one it may be good to try a different one this year and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the ENB one.

Thanks that's great to know! Yes you're probably right, going to a different one this year is probably best especially since I am interested in others such as ENB x

I think the youngest is 15 or 16 pictures. The standard is very high infact some dancers were already in company's.one thing my daughter learned was that a lot of the foreign dancers who were amazing, did a lot of gymnastics from a very early age. They had strength and fantastic flexibility.

I think with the YBSS last year my friend had to send some pictures of her DD in different ballet poses and a report from her last exam and the result. But she lives in Australia so don't know whether it was any different for UK students.......but I don't think so.

My DS did YBSS last year. Fabulous teachers and teaching, but for one of his two ballet classes a day the class size was big, around 40 boys and girls. He was in the middle age group, around age 14 and I can't say he had many corrections in that class, it was just not possible with that number. Apart from that no complaints at all. Plenty of challenge and corrections in the other class of the day, which was split into two studios and the girls did pointework I think.

DD did Central last Summer. She had just done her Int Fdn exam and had already done a couple of terms of Intermediate and was just 13 and did the one week course. There was quite a range of dancers with a few vocational girlies. I think there were about 20 in the group. They worked them hard and the teaching was generally excellent with plenty of time for personal corrections for all. They did pointe work everyday except on the first day. They also had pilates most days although DD said it was quite basic. They did character and contemporary most days. They also had the chance to watch the Central vocational dancers in a rehearsal. It was well organised and well planned. They had 5 full days classes Monday to Friday and on the Saturday they had class and then a rehearsal before a performance for parents.For this they performed as Lilac Attendants from the Prologue of Sleeping Beauty and then a lovely contemporary piece. There is also a 2 weeks course for dancers 14 years +.

Later in the holidays she did the Harpenden Summer Ballet School which was excellent and brilliant value for money. If you can sort out accommodation this is definitely worth a look. Some of the girls knew each other from Associate classes or from their regular dance school but DD didn't know anybody. She settled in very quickly as she was made to feelvery welcome by the teachers and the other girls. The teaching days are shorter than Central but the standard of teaching was first class.

Hello, I went to YBSS and Elmhurst Summer School last year and I just turned 14. I was thinking about applying for ENB and Central School of Ballet Summer Schools this year and I was wondering what everyone thought about them and any other recommended summer courses? Thanks

• Like 4

Picturesinthefirelight, I don't think YBSS will be worried that your DD's last ballet exam was some time ago. I would explain in the application form that she is studying at the Hammond and is working on RAD intermediate foundation, having taken her last exam on whatever date and passing with distinction.

I am sure that they will then be well aware of the standard at which your DD is working, as well as her being a vocational school student which in itself is instructive re her abilities and potential.

• Like 1

I second what Florence says about Harpenden. The teaching was excellent. Ds knew no-one (shed have been in the younger group)

Thank you and Florence for your kind words.

For the record Harpenden Summer School will be 18th-22nd August 2014 (normal week).

Website will be updated later in the spring but if anyone wants more information please feel free to pm me. Format and teachers remain constant (why change what works!)

Incidentally my ds always found Central very good. He also loved Ybss the year he was lucky enough to get a scholarship to go!

Helen Brewer (co-director Harpenden Summer School)

Edited to put in year!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

Picturesinthefirelight, I don't think YBSS will be worried that your DD's last ballet exam was some time ago. I would explain in the application form that she is studying at the Hammond and is working on RAD intermediate foundation, having taken her last exam on whatever date and passing with distinction.

I am sure that they will then be well aware of the standard at which your DD is working, as well as her being a vocational school student which in itself is instructive re her abilities and potential.

The YBSS application form says you only need to send in exam details if you are not at vocational school.

DD did Central last Summer. She had just done her Int Fdn exam and had already done a couple of terms of Intermediate and was just 13 and did the one week course. There was quite a range of dancers with a few vocational girlies. I think there were about 20 in the group. They worked them hard and the teaching was generally excellent with plenty of time for personal corrections for all. They did pointe work everyday except on the first day. They also had pilates most days although DD said it was quite basic. They did character and contemporary most days. They also had the chance to watch the Central vocational dancers in a rehearsal. It was well organised and well planned. They had 5 full days classes Monday to Friday and on the Saturday they had class and then a rehearsal before a performance for parents.For this they performed as Lilac Attendants from the Prologue of Sleeping Beauty and then a lovely contemporary piece. There is also a 2 weeks course for dancers 14 years +.Later in the holidays she did the Harpenden Summer Ballet School which was excellent and brilliant value for money. If you can sort out accommodation this is definitely worth a look. Some of the girls knew each other from Associate classes or from their regular dance school but DD didn't know anybody. She settled in very quickly as she was made to feelvery welcome by the teachers and the other girls. The teaching days are shorter than Central but the standard of teaching was first class.

Thankyou so much Florence for the info about Central I really have an insight of what it is like now and Harpenden also sounds good :) x

Edited by thebunhead

Will find out from friends DD as she was 13 last summer so was probably in this group then.

I went to the show on the last day and I'm sure some girls were on pointe in some pieces but they did some very nice more contemporary style pieces as well.

When she was at the Yorkshire one as she was only just 13 at the time she might have been put with the youngest group in that week but I think there was some mini pre assessment at the beginning (can't remember whether mum asked for it or whether they did as a matter of course) but they moved her into the middle group anyway.

Whether this happens on the ENB one I don't know but is it divided into junior and senior groups it could be the senior course is not the same week!!

Do you mind saying what your level is thebunhead? As it seems you will be or very nearly be 15 by next summer so it may be worth looking at the senior ENB course if you are up at Advanced one or two level ballet. Otherwise you should be okay in the 11-14 group a bit difficult when ones birthday falls at an awkward time for these courses!!!