Genee Dance Challenge 2014

Happymum

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dd has a place in level 4 , but is now worried because she was hoping for level 3 as she thinks she is not good enough for level 4. She is only studying grade 8 at the moment although she took her intermediate in 2012, so we were not sure what level she would be in.

Dd has a place in level 4 , but is now worried because she was hoping for level 3 as she thinks she is not good enough for level 4. She is only studying grade 8 at the moment although she took her intermediate in 2012, so we were not sure what level she would be in.

Perhaps it might be worth phoning them to ask for confirmation of the levels, and explain your dd's situation?

I did ask before entering and was told to include as much info as possible and they would decide the level. I am sure it will be ok she just has no confidence in herself. I let her enter for the experience and the chance for extra classes and coaching ,it looks like a fab opportunity.

• Like 4

I guess all levels will have a mixture of abilities within a set range.  Wasnt level 4 Intermediate - Adv 2?  Are they split within each group to their actual grade?

Does anyone know how many are usually in each level?

Sorry for all the silly questions!

Surely level 4 would be the correct level if her intermediate exam was in 2012 and she passed it.  I've always taken the grade descriptors as 'working at' levels.  She may be only doing grade 8 as syllabus classes but is the rest of her dancing not pitched at above intermediate level?  You say it may be her confidence level and I wonder if confidence is more the issue given the injuries and difficulties she has had to face over the past few years.  As you say it is a good opportunity and I hope she enjoys the experience.

• Like 3

Do entrants need to have done all the RAD exams up to their current level?

e.g., if they are currently working at Advanced Foundation level but the last exam they did was Grade 5 or 6 a few years back?

I dont believe so, the form asks for last exam passed but also time spent at current level.

My DD has only done RAD major exams so has no grades at all.

Edited by BankruptMum

2 dancersmum you are right it is her confidence that is the problem she is always telling me that she is rubbish. I thought she would be in level 4 and I do think that is the right level for her. Most of her classes now are non syllabus not sure the level except for one of the classes which I know is basic because they have a lad from the urban programme in the class.

She is not rubbish but as you say she has had a lot to deal with over the couple of years, but I know she will enjoy the two days otherwise I would not let her do it. I live in hope that one day she may believe it when someone tells her that actually she is a beautiful dancer (when she puts her mind to it).

• Like 2

i emailed the organisers yesterday to ask about availability and since there is still room i think i will be applying too! i would be in level 4 aswell -how many will be in this group and also are people going just from wales, i live in london and am not sure about travelling for it (also on the form you need to title your solo but what should you call it if it is a classical ballet solo as normaly with festivals etc there is no title) Thanks!

My child has done this competition previously so I will attempt to answer some of the questions:-

Within the level, the group is not split further. There is one teacher per level, and the children all take class together, and practice their solos together. Age does not come into it at all.

If you do not have a name for your dance, that's fine- on the program which is printed out for the display of solos, most just said "ballet solo". It is ok to leave that bit blank.

The level the child is in should reflect the grade towards which they are working at the time of entry to the competition. So if the child has taken intermediate and is now working towards advanced foundation, they should be in level 4. On the other hand, if they have taken intermediate but have gone no further with working towards vocational grades and simply continued with the normal graded work, then really they should be in the level which reflects that grade.

The standard within the levels was of course varied; within my daughters level there were a small number of vocational students (2 as I remember), but mainly the students were none vocational. There was about 14/15 students participating within the level.

The standard and choice of solos were also varied. Some children had had dances choreographed especially for the occasion, others were using established festival dances they had used previously, but tailored time wise to fit the entry criteria.

The competition is also an opportunity for the RAD teachers to work with their students to create an original dance which fits the criteria for the competition and suits the style and ability of the student, hopefully to show them off in their best light and yet challenge them too.

Costume wise- simple is beautiful! Elaborate costumes and stage make up are best kept for festivals. A simple, classic tutu is an option if the child is keen to wear one and it suits the style of the dance, but many of the girls wore very simple combinations of a pretty leotard and skirt, or a simple lyrical style dress.

Hope these help the people with questions!

• Like 4

thanks Bestfootforward, really useful to know :) also does anyone happen to know what the time restrictions are on the solos?

thanks Jazzpaws, do you think slightly over would be okay? (about 1:40) as it would be very hard to cut the dance short and re-choreograph a bit. It sounds really nice and im especially excited that its very small classes- is everyone doing it going to be mostly from wales, my teacher was concerned that it was out of our 'RAD region' but it is the only heat in the uk so im not sure where else she thinks i would go? 

A girl from dd's school is going and we're in the north east! There will possibly be more from wales because it's local for students there but I think there will be students from far and wide, I think children from other countries can even enter it!

• Like 1

They are quite definite in the information that the solo should not exceed 1min 30 secs. One of the reasons for this is to standardise all the solos. If one person exceeds by ten seconds, what's to stop another exceeding by 15 seconds and so on?

I would advise sticking to the entry criteria precisely.

• Like 2

Aurora - im thankful im not the only one coming from a bit further- its a fun experience and i think the teaching will be great and since its half term my mum doesn't mind taking me up to wales for a few days but i completely understand why its mostly local kids :)

Bestfootforward and Bankrupt mum - thanks for the clarification iv'e cut the music down to 1.31 so hopefully will be fine now :)

Whereabouts in Cardiff is the competition being held? Can't see it mentioned anywhere...

the infopack said national dance company wales , cardiff. the facilities there look beautiful :)