Advanced 2 RAD.

debbie

Taking this exam in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know how many of the set exercises are seen in the exam?

How many from the barre?

Also, are the adages seen on both sides?

Are all centre practise exercises seen - same for allegro??

• Like 1

I am sure that others can give you a fuller reply but do prepare both sides for adage as the examiner can ask for either.

Thanks for that. I 've prepared both sides for everything but I am worried I will be shattered by the time the pointe section is seen! :unsure:

• Like 1

Taking this exam in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know how many of the set exercises are seen in the exam?

How many from the barre?

Also, are the adages seen on both sides?

Are all centre practise exercises seen - same for allegro??

You'll probably find that the examiner will miss just 2 or 3 barre exercises and a similar number or a couple more maybe in the centre. You need to prepare both sides of everything but she will only see one version of each exercise. You can choose which side you do fouettes and turns en manège, the examiner chooses sides for everything else.

You'll probably get plenty of short breaks unless maybe there's only 2 of you in the exam in which case it will be a bit more intense but you will still get a short break after each section (ie barre, adage, allegro etc)

• Like 1

I always said I would not be someone who was of the 'we had it harder' mentality but have you seen the old advanced syllabus book for back when it was not advanced 1 and 2. I will stop there but I remember my advanced exam so well. I think regardless of how tired you are, the adrenaline gets you through and then you come out on a high, convince yourself you failed by the time you get to the station and crash then about an hour later when the adrenaline stops surging through your system. One thing that does help with stamina if you struggle with a particular exercise is to do it a second time whilst still tired in class practice. If you can get through it twice then once under pressure should be fine. A small amount of cardio can also help as an adjunct to build stamina.

In reference to my first comment. I do not think it is easier for the dancers of this generation. The pressures are just different and with so many additional facets which can be added to training regime this in itself increases pressure placed upon young dancers in addition to helping them to fulfil their potential.

• Like 2

Thanks for that. What I think I need to do is to do all the pointe work... Twice! I can manage but I am so tired by then???? I can't do all the barre in one go - too much. I always do the 2 port de bras and 3 of the centre practise and both adages but only on one side. Usually miss out a couple of the allegros.

Does anyone know how complex the free enchainments are? I'm quite good at picking up , as I have trained in istd.

Also, is it true London is not the place to take the exam as you get royal and elmhurst students ????????

Really appreciate this communication- thank you.

Thanks for that. What I think I need to do is to do all the pointe work... Twice! I can manage but I am so tired by then I can't do all the barre in one go - too much. I always do the 2 port de bras and 3 of the centre practise and both adages but only on one side. Usually miss out a couple of the allegros.

Does anyone know how complex the free enchainments are? I'm quite good at picking up , as I have trained in istd.

Also, is it true London is not the place to take the exam as you get royal and elmhurst students

Really appreciate this communication- thank you.

Yes, as I understand it Royal dont do RAD now. But in my experience students at vocational schools are not always that well prepared due to timetable constraints. They may be technically proficient but if they have not been made aware of all the settings then this can be a disadvantage.

They will not necessarily been doing RAD syllabus classes, for example my ds had just 6 before his advanced 2!

So hold your own if you get vocational students examining with you are theres a good chance you will have a better idea of whats needed.

Where I teach we do suggest stamina training though, its a tough exam. Good luck x

My daughter has been told to work on her strength/stamina for her auditions in the new year. Her teacher suggested running (which she hates with a passion!) or maybe skipping. Not sure when she's going to fit it into her week so it will probably be over the Christmas holidays. Has anyone got any alternative ideas which may appeal to a non sporty dancer with very little time?

My daughter has been told to work on her strength/stamina for her auditions in the new year. Her teacher suggested running (which she hates with a passion!) or maybe skipping. Not sure when she's going to fit it into her week so it will probably be over the Christmas holidays. Has anyone got any alternative ideas which may appeal to a non sporty dancer with very little time?

Swimming!

Exercise bikes and the cross training machines are used within some companies. There is also some research into whether those newish vibrating exercise machines help with elevation. Not sure what the findings were around this. I think Lisa Howell has some advice on her ballet blog website re stamina building if this is helpful.

re stamina building.  This may sound silly but I find Zumba classes could be an alternative to running or skipping. 

Of course you must be picky about the instructors.  I found an instructor who is a vocational school trained professional jazz dancer, and her class is 45 min nearly non-stop high intensity areobic execise. 

may be worth a try? 

Edited by mimi66

Great ideas. Thankyou all! Unfortunately she won't be able to try any of these until the holidays and then not sure whether swimming baths/zumba classes will be available although they do appeal to her more. Typically, skipping would be cheap, quick and require nobody to transport her anywhere. I think the mere thought of going out in the cold is filling her with dread at present!!! Have sent her off to look up the blog website recommended. Many thanks. :)

This isn't for stamina necessarily but certainly an easy way to gain core strength I've found is hula hooping! If you get one of the proper fitness ones which are slightly weighted it is really good and I prefer it to sit ups or the plank as it is much less painful and I can watch tv at the same time. :) core strength is always good for pointe work.

If she does decide to run make sure she wears supportive trainers, only runs on even ground (preferably grass rather than concrete as its slightly soft) and warms up thoroughly beforehand. Even then I wouldn't do it more than a couple of times a week, especially if she's not used to it.

Edited by Aurora

Hi Aurora. She will love you for that post! She really hates running and is absolutely useless at it. Her Royal teacher suggested it to improve her stamina but she will love that there is a good reason to avoid it. I did wonder whether it might be stressful on her legs. She dances 5 days a week but obviously needs something more intense.

• Like 1

Well exam in 3 weeks!! Hope all goes ok for your daughter. Is she a vocational student full time?? How is she feeling about it?? Hope it goes well- would love to hear !

As for stamina to everyone- thanks for your help- it's fitting it all in- college practise and life in general!

If I had some idea of how the exam is constructed and how complex the free enchainments are, I might get some sleep!!

Well exam in 3 weeks! How is your daughter feeling? Is she a full time student??

Hope it goes well for her - do let me know.

Thank you all for tips on stamina- it's just fitting it in with college, practise and life!

If I had a but more info on free enchainments - how complex are they? And how long does one spend at the barre??