Rambert auditions

Guest Autumn days

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...dd has been offered waiting list.  As flutterby said, good and bad news. 

For reference, as people were asking - when she auditioned, 6 did solos, 4 did interview/physio.  Dd was the only British girl in the final 4. 

Unsure what to do now!  Dd said, "Who is going to turn down Rambert?"  It's a good question.

No, none.  I would guess we had the same letter that you did, SBallerina - looked like a kind of stock letter.  And from what you've all said here we've no way of knowing where people are on the waiting list, so...we wait.

Guest dancer2027

Heard a lot more people with reserve than an actual place, therefore I'm thinking, as you said Mel about your dd being only brit, that rambert are taking more foreign students. After all they do pay higher fees and with all arts funds and dadas cut it would make sense.

Also worries me that there are so many on reserve I'm really doubting getting an offer or at least in good time before I must decide on my other schools, I don't have all summer :(

I haven't heard of it either SBallerina, but as tutugirl and Friends have, someone must get a place.  It's just that it's clear there are many on the waiting list, and not many places to be filled, I'd imagine.

DD mentioned the other girls (Spanish and French) because she (suddenly) realised it was a world wide playing field rather than just a UK one.  I don't imagine institutions take students solely for the fees.  We have friends who trained at premier ballet schools in Europe and they are always amazed that British students don't seem to consider training in Europe - to them the UK is part of Europe, just another part of the wider opportunity for them.  I only mentioned it because it's been part of the discussion on some other threads, concerning how wide the competition is.

• Like 2

I really do not believe that foreign students are taken before British students because of money. Sorry to say, if a foreign student has been offered a place at Rambert it is because that student is exactly what the school is looking for, irrelevant of their nationality.

• Like 4

All I can add is that the foreign student in my daughters year at Central are all very strong dancers as are the British ones. If they were weak dancers I would presume they were there because of money. The Japanese dancers are particularly strong.

I know of a British girl that has been offered a place at Rambert.

She has turned it down though and taken Laine. She was also offered a scholarship at london Studio Centre. Lucky girl!

Good luck everybody and the waiting must be awful xx

Guest dancer2027

Also I never said that schools are taking foreign students were taken on money not talent, I am sure they are all fantastic dancers and deserve their place but Why do they have to pay so much more anyone know? Because not sure whether schools actually get more money from international students or whether these extra fees are to cover extra costs. I'm sure the latter, in which case my last point would be irrelevant anyway

Guest dancer2027

Also I know of some schools offering scholarships to international students to help them cover their costs. I hope that my earlier suspicions are very much wrong...I'm sure they are :)

Central and Rambert are affiliate schools of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama, which offers a fee reduction scheme. According to website :

The Conservatoire is a publicly-funded institution. UK and EU students are eligible for government-sponsored loans and grants as well as financial aid provided by the Conservatoire and schools

Dada do not offer loans to students from a non-eu country though ..

I'm not even sure if I'll get loan and some kind of a "scholarship" from the government where I come from,

I can't answer why foreign students have to pay higher fees.

I think it is to do with the fact that these courses are at institutions that receive government funding so in effect the government is subsidising the places for UK/EU citizens.  I think the same is true of universities and it is because of the government subsidy that fees are capped at 9k for whatever course you do. 

• Like 2

SBallerina, it is normal practice for students who are not resident in the country in which the institution is located to pay higher fees. If my children go to study in, say, the US or Australia they will have to pay higher fees than the home students.

Sorry SBallerina, I have no idea why but I assumed you were in the EU.  Obviously you gave no indication of that, I just got it into my head somehow that you were actually from a Nordic country, and have been picturing you sitting at a desk with a laptop with Moomins playing outside a large plate glass window behind you.

• Like 2

My DD is an international student starting at Central and my understanding is that it costs the school GBP17000 in tuition per year for every student, home students get this subsidised by the government by GBP 8000 so end up paying GBP 9000 (before student loans etc). International students dont get these subsidies because we have not been contributing to the UK economy through Taxes so we have to pay the full cost. My daughter is actually a British citizen and has a full British passport but because we havent been living in the UK for the last three years, she is still considered international and cannot claim any funding, Govt scholarship or Govt Grant. We have to pay the full cost of her tuition. Also most schools only have  a set number of places available for International students, so really the competition is extremely fierce as all the international students from around the world may be vying for only a couple of the 20 or so place available. The majority will always go to home students ( and thats as it should be I think). With this in mind the international students are not taking places from home students at all, and the school may also only have a set number of Govt subsidised places to offer home students, so any difference needs to be filled by full fee paying Internationals. It is exactly the same scenario for University places in our country as well.

• Like 2