Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Wow Kate_N, I am impressed at doing a Piqué turn manége around the Royal Albert Hall stage, that must have been exciting. I wonder when that was. I have done many of ENB workshops over the last three years but never had the opportunity to go on the Albert Hall stage.

These days most of the Workshops are either on the London Coliseum stage or at their studios at Markover House where I attend my Monday night classes.

The dance of the Three Odalisques I first learnt was with ENB at Oxford, and strangely enough as far as I can recall, the bit we learnt was to Bolshoi’s Choreography. The reason I say that, was when I first see Le Corsaire performed by them at the Coliseum, I was a little disappointed with that, against what we were taught. The ENB workshop at Oxford was for me the best they ever did. We ended up doing part of that dance as duets, a dancer coming out of each corner crossing in the centre and dancing on opposite legs and only occupying half the stage, each dancing towards and away from each other. It finally closed with pique turns towards each other ending in a tendu devant with the two dancers forming a “V” shape with the two front feet almost touching, it was gorgeous but I guess you couldn’t do that with every class.

ENB’s choreography for the other piece Gulnara’s solo has a beautiful turning ending, sadly non of us could have done it, so it was very much simplified, however its certainly on my to do list. The ending is a Pique turn, double pique into a single fouette, followed by a double fouette, that combination is repeated three times and chaines to end. Our teacher that afternoon demonstrated this beautifully.

I don’t think we are worlds apart from you take on “Muscle memory”, during latter stages of rehearsal there are always minor changes and tweaks to polish the final production, also then for the faster pieces of choreography you are running at full speed, certainly one of the advantages of having a pianist. Where it becomes more challenging is where part of the sequence is reversed, opposite arm and leg combination mid-sequence, that more difficult to burn in, but if that’s what the Artistic director desires, then we have to accommodate it. But never the less it’s not easy.

Repertoire for me drops into two categories, (1) that which I have to dance as part of a company in performance.
(2) That which I have developed from the classics from multiple sources, those I have control of.

Workshops for me are sources of inspiration, that why I insist on knowing what is being taught, as I can then discriminate against those that will not add any value to my own repertoire. In any case I don’t attend them just to have fun and forget everything over the following few days.

Even though I probably didn’t show the recent “dance of the Three Odalisques" in a very positive light, never the less I do take a little bit of its choreography away with me for incorporation of my own. It very small but a neat connecting pas de buree which Bolshoi don’t do.   At the end of a short developee / arabesque combination repeated three times, Bolshoi end the last second arabesque by placing the gesturing foot down, rotating the body a quarter turn ACW, the gesturing foot is now in tendu devant and the associated arm in 5th, normally bolshoi would do a walk to prep for the next sub-sequence. ENB on the other hand do a coupe, chasse , pas de puree to prep. As Bolshoi’s leg is already extended, the pas de buree fits nicely, and for me, make a far nicer connecting step. 

Although I have said my version is Bolshoi, which it largely is, it has influences from Kerov, Mariinski and American Ballet Theatre too, together with some additional audience orientation from my one-to-one sessions at Ballet West.

I love your take on the Tendu and Glissé, I would argue that the Glissé contains the Tendu as you must go through a Tendu first and close through it too, the same is true for a Grand Batterment. As for they have different emphasis and energy, for me that’s in the music, I take it that emphasis you means accent, eg AND IN, energy meaning gusto.

Coming back to your manege of Pique turns around the Royal Albert Hall. I personally find it more challenging doing a manege in a smaller circle. A real challenge is doing the RB Sugar Plum Fairy solo manege of mixed turns in a small space. I can manage this in my local village hall, but not in the two studios I hire. I dropped the manege when I did my version of the Sugar Plum Fairy variation with Ballet West.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh Michelle I do workshops just for the fun of it!!

I don't mind if I can't remember the choreography more then a couple of days or a week if I'm lucky unless of course it's for a proper public performance when it has to,be remembered of course. Which is why I do write down LAB's choreography in my little "ballet book" but not that of one off workshops.

I do believe you are planning to perform some of the choreography you have learned so obviously will have to memorise more than most people need to but there is such a thing as just enjoying being in the moment and having a bit of fun!!

• Like 6

Hi Lin

There are workshops that I do for fun as they are for me less about learning and more about social contact. In the main I have dropped most providers of these workshops, I'm now more focused on one-to-one rep coaching.

To an extent the same is true of ballet classes, Wednesdays I do a beginners class at Sleaford, although I don’t think any of the girls there are actual beginners. I like the girls there and the school too. The school has been very good to me, in opening up early to accommodate my private hire. In the winter the heaters are always put on prior to me arriving, the studio is always spotlessly clean, the staff at the school are absolutely fantastic. However if I should find another performing group for Wednesdays, then I would sadly no longer be able to support that class.

As for writing stuff down, when using one-to-one coaching, it tends to be to my choreography, that is usually documented for my teacher/coach first as our basic plan. However corrections are also important. During my visit to Ballet West both my teacher and I kept a list of observations as we went along, these were not necessarily the same, most if not all would be corrected during the sessions, however at the end of the day, we both sat down and I drew up a consolidated list of issues that had come out, I still have those as a reminder.

Potentially all my repertoire is performance pieces, but the only one likely to see the light of day in the immediate future, that is the Nutcracker Grand PDD and the associated Sugar Plum Fairy solo. However the PDD is well behind schedule for our Christmas Salsa Party, as our local hall has not been available for practice for the last three Sundays and I’m sure Adrian my boyfriend will have forgotten much of what he had previously learnt. However the out-door porcelain tilled surface is ready for testing out this weekend if weather permits. Then hopefully we can make up for lost time.

Remember the “A” Team saying “I like it when a plan comes together”, well my week felt a bit like the opposite to that.

Firstly I have lost my slot for rep practice in my local hall this Monday, as someone has done a three day block booking over the weekend and Monday too. Fortunately I did manage to SQUEEEEZE a slot in for Tuesday before rehearsal in London.

Thursday morning I got an email to say my rep coach at Heckington could not make our Friday session, so we have re-arranged that for Monday utilising my hall slot.

Thursday evening at LAB rehearsal we were told we are not doing the middle piece of our dance that we learnt the previous week, its now being done by another group. Oh poo and I really liked that piece. So now we have the beginning and then end. For practice I will still continue to dance the whole thing through.

This Friday I have lost my two hour slot at the studio I hire in Sleaford, as its required for the youngster rehearsal for their show.

Hopefully my planned schedule will be restored the following week.

On the bright side, we did manage to check out the new porcelain outdoor ballet floor for PDD practice. For promenades and single turn partner assisted pirouettes its pure magic, but it is extremely slippy for anything else. I even found I could do fouettes round on a flat foot. Even a standard single turn en dehors pirouette is quite tricky as it requires almost no energy. On the down side, its extreme easy to pick grit up from the non porcelain slabs that border the floor, so ballet slippers must be kept off then. Also the porcelain tiled area needs to be a little bigger for the guys walking circle for promenading.

• 3 weeks later...

I think someone said it was half term this week, well it certainly doesn’t feel like it.

No break from ENB but that is quite normal for them, also term breaks are often no longer than 1 week.

Although the Alive Ballet Company and London Amateur Ballet do have a half term break this week,  Monday was spent doing a one-to-one with my teacher at a studio I hired at Templeton House from London Rehearsal Space. Basically my teacher needed time spent with me to re-chorography my piece in the show without sacrificing time with the main dancers, as I’m only doing the matinee with this company before going on to do the LAB performance. It was certainly a good session, much of it was videoed, but it will make better sense when danced with the rest of the corps de ballet next week.

For LAB we have our group rehearsal  tomorrow (Wednesday), then we will see how it all fits together, as some schools that make up LAB have been working on different parts of the same scene. I guess there may also be changes to the choreography.  Hopefully we will be told of the costume requirement too.

The only rest bite I get this week, it that there is no Friday one-to-one as my teacher Emma is on break, however I still have my two hours at the Sleaford Studio for rep practice to finish the week off as normal.

Once my Christmas shows are out of the way, I’m hoping to add in  a Summer performance at Northern Ballet in Leeds providing dates don’t clash.

I am also looking at the possibility of joining another amateur performing company, this time in Scotland for a performance in the summer there too, providing rehearsals etc can be successfully scheduled in. 

There is more too for next year!

Hi everyone!

Anyone for morning ballet??? New classes for adults starting next week at the Bradford Dance Centre. Taught by Hiedi Westman (Legat Russian Ballet and Northern Ballet School). The following was posted on facebeook today:

Open classes at the BDC starting w/c 2 November 2015:

* Thurs 9.00-10.20 Adult ballet - intermediate level (Hiedi Westman)
* Fri 9.00-10.20 Adult ballet - intermediate level (Hiedi Westman)

All welcome! £5 per class drop in, or £28 for 7 classes/weeks

http://www.bradforddancecentre.co.uk/open-classes.html

Morning all,

we've got our last two courses coming up in a couple of weeks. One in Birmingham concentrating on women's ballet tech and rep with BRB principal Jenna Roberts and one in London concentrating on Choreography with James Wilkie (RB), Sam Raine (RB) and a new creation (on you!) by Vanessa Fenton (ex-RB).

Don't forget to use the offer code "COURSE10" for a 10% discount.

London - http://crystalballet.com/index.php/event/crystal-ballet-choreographic-workshop.html

Birmingham - http://crystalballet.com/index.php/event/crystal-ballet-birmingham-ladies-masterclass.html

Enjoy!

• Like 2

That's pretty cheap too! Lucky Bradford ballet goers!!

I think £5 per class is petty average, certainly out in the sticks where I live. For me the more expensive cost is travel which usually exceeds that of the more expensive drop in classes like “EverybodyBallet” at the Royal Opera House which used to be £25.00 per class.

Yesterday (Tuesday) was to have been the day I trialled the route between my two performance venue (CBAT Nr Holloway road tube station and The Laban Centre nr Greenwich). However that had to be aborted soon after I started when it was announced that Dockland Light Railway was on strike. I now intend to travel that route next Monday. However using calc from the TFL website it suggests I only have 15 minutes in-hand for contingencies, so it’s going to be extremely tight.

I just hope my boyfriend Adrian and I can get there before the performance starts, as it would be unfair on him if he weren’t allowed in the auditorium. I guess I have a little more leeway as I think there are a couple of scenes before I go on. My group has two parts in a three part dance, we are doing the first and last part, one of the point groups are doing the middle piece, although I continue to practice that piece as I run through the whole of the dance but its not to the choreography the other group are using, it to the Dutch National Ballets version, and I love it.

Similarly a piece we are dancing from Act2 follows one of Myrthe solo pieces which hasn’t been included involving a Manege of 10 Saut de Basque’s. I mentioned how that fitted well with the grand allegro we had been doing in Monday night ENB Advance class as it had all the main movements for that solo and I was being coached on that on Friday. I think the was a look of shock horror when I was ask if I was doing that in the show, to which I replied no. For me the two pieces go well together and I dance them because it feels right, even though I’m not performing one of them. 

At least next year I have 3 companies where dates don’t clash for summer performances now I have Northern’s confirmed, I’ve only got one to go and I wont know for sure until I’ve actually joined them after Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the proposed route last Monday, right up to the changing rooms and Studio Theatre for the LAB performance.

The time taken left 12 minutes in hand. However things took a serious dive on Thursday when our venue was changed to the Studio Theatre The Rambert School, I think this makes things much tighter and tomorrow (Monday ) I will check out the route timing from Kings Cross via Victoria line to Vauxhall underground, with short walk to Vauxhall over ground station to St Margaret’s via SW trains, then final brisk walk to Rambert.

Now I’m not sure if it feasible in this time slot and although there a small number of different routes available, they are all critically around the same time where every minute counts.

To be honest I will be pleased when the Christmas shows are out of the way and can start working towards the performances for 2016 including if it comes off, a  possible performance in Saint Petersburg.

The new route was checked out but was modified to Piccadilly line from Holloway road to Hammersmith, then district line from Hammersmith to Richmond. Although Tfl website suggested a travel time of 45 minutes in reality it was longer due to 3 sets of delays. When I finally arrived at Richmond I only had 10minutes left in my time budget, just enough for a taxis. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to see a full taxis rank just outside Richmond station. As part of the exercise I walked the route from Richmond Station to the Rambert School as that was down as 25minute, however I completed it in 18.

I spoke to our artistic director as he is my Monday night teacher at ENB about the timing, fortunately there is some additional material going in before my scene that will give me just a few more minutes. Even my boyfriend has been prept to leave the first location after my act has finish and make his way to the tube station as he doesn’t walk as fast as me even though he is a big guy 6, 3 and Im only 5, 3, as I cannot afford to wait for him if he trails behind, Gosh this feels more like a military exercise than doing ballet performance but hey ho it makes it that little bit more challenging and exciting.

Enjoyed my two sessions of Grand Allegro at ENB last night but still have to be a little bit careful of the left Achilles as it tends to stiffen up on the journey home. However I do wish I could get to 180degree Grand Jete like the 59 year old lady in this Link: https://www.facebook.com/balletmag/videos/10153640684107976/?fref=nf

Does anyone know of any dance studios in Newcastle that offer adult ballet lessons? My friends daughter passed RAD intermediate, and is missing ballet terribly since going to university but feels a bit scared of going to a class she's not familiar with. I'll do a bit of a Google search but just wondered if anyone here has any firsthand knowledge. Many thanks in advance.

The thing is Michelle I haven't heard of this lady before but it's obvious she is an ex professional of sorts! And if she has more or less kept up dancing then she will only lose a little in strength. Older Adult beginners .....not returners to ballet....will probably never reach such a standard. Still it's good that she has kept such a level of fitness but I have seen this in other even older dancers.....but ex professionals eg ex Royal ex ABT ....who are still pretty good especially with adage .....really good leg height still ...but the jumping is usually the first to go really.

On the Facebook page where the link took you I see some people have commented on Fonteyn....as she continued professionally till 60 or 61 ( not sure exactly) But in her last couple of years she didn't do the big classics (quite rightly) and had naturally lost some of her earlier strength but she did roles where she could be very expressive and use her acting skills .....and very wonderful she was too.

• Like 2

Lin, sorry I wasn't clear: I wasn't criticising posters giving reports of classes here - they're interesting to read! It's just that specific requests like Harwel's can get lost in this long thread.

Absolutely. Whether by design or by chance, this has become a very long thread, more for reporting back on workshops for adults. Kate is quite right, other requests do get lost here so she kindly started a separate thread for people who are looking for classes for adult ballet dancers. That way it's easier for everyone to find the information they're looking for. :-)

• Like 4

Does anyone know of any dance studios in Newcastle that offer adult ballet lessons? My friends daughter passed RAD intermediate, and is missing ballet terribly since going to university but feels a bit scared of going to a class she's not familiar with. I'll do a bit of a Google search but just wondered if anyone here has any firsthand knowledge. Many thanks in advance.

I replied in the other thread, but I'll put it in here too in case you didn't see it!

Dance City are based in the city centre, they run a beginner's ballet class on Monday evenings, then beginner, intermediate and advanced on Thursdays. The classes are fun, it's a really informal environment and everyone is really friendly so your friend's daughter should have no problem settling in.

I also take classes at St Hilda's Ballet School, they teach the Cecchetti method rather than RAD, they have classes on Thursdays and Saturdays. The Thursday classes are in West Jesmond, right next to the metro station, while the Saturday classes are in High Heaton, which is about 15 minutes by bus from the city centre. They teach pointework and also encourage students to take graded exams (though it's purely optional). Dance City don't do either of those things.

Edited by TabbyCool
  • Like 2

Yes I agree this thread has become rather long!!

It's difficult as sometimes it's not worth starting a whole new thread for a small limited request and then it seems better to post here but perhaps it all does need tidying up

Not sure what this thread could be called ....Obviously starting anew ....perhaps ...adult classes and workshops recently attended?

Then requests about specific technique probs or people looking for classes in new areas etc could be separate and easier to access.

I personally think posting classes and workshops need to be on mostly their own individual threads, as I have done with my recent RAD postings, especially where closing dates are critical.

I will do the same with English National Ballet’s winter term dates when they are open for general booking. Those of us in the system received our priority booking link on the 27th. Anyone interested in joining ENB please keep you eye open as their classes fill up quickly.

For those types of posting they will naturally have a short lifetime.

I know the "Simply Adult Ballet" thread is one of the longest, and  well viewed  with quite a following. There are basically no rules as to what is posted on it, other than posters to use there own common sense . When I created it, it was for everyone ref my first para “I’m setting up this thread up for everyone concerned with adult ballet, all are welcome, dancers, teachers, physio’s everyone. I claim no ownership to it what so ever, however I will continue to report about my journey on it, I hope others will too.”

As time has gone by my posting has got less, basically as my hours associated with ballet have increased. I had a peak at this thread on Thursday and was tempted to post, but I had been up from a just before 4am Thursday morning, and on the road by 6 for Norwich Theatre Royal by 9am (awful traffic tailbacks into Norwich in the mornings). Then on to London for LAB rehearsal at RAD studios that evening, finally arriving home just before midnight.

Friday was another long day too, however I did get go Salsa dancing at my local group that evening, something I handnt done for a long time, and Oh heck I didn’t realise how much Salsa I have forgotten, it really is frightening

Edited by Michelle_Richer

No!,  barre's are for those that are a bit unsteady on their feet, I remember doing class at Scottish ballet with two Bolshoi trained girls, much of the time they did the exercises without holding the barre, they were very impressive.

I think I would need a bit more of a challenge on those long bumpy train journeys, I think barre excersised done unsupported on a wobble board would be more approapriate don’t you?

• Like 1

No!,  barre's are for those that are a bit unsteady on their feet, I remember doing class at Scottish ballet with two Bolshoi trained girls, much of the time they did the exercises without holding the barre, they were very impressive.

I think I would need a bit more of a challenge on those long bumpy train journeys, I think barre excersised done unsupported on a wobble board would be more approapriate don’t you?

Both Royal Ballet and English National Ballet start their daily class at the barre. I highly doubt that it's because any of their dancers are "unsteady on their feet".....

• Like 10

One class I do has recently moved studios and the barres move side to side a lot. There is no danger of them falling over but it is very easy to tell who is holding onto the barre to tight. I try with my hand just resting on the top but sometimes I push it too much. Since we've been using this studio I have noticed an improvement in the centre, so perhaps all studios should have wobbly barres.

Still can't do pirouettes though :(

• Like 1

Both Royal Ballet and English National Ballet start their daily class at the barre. I highly doubt that it's because any of their dancers are "unsteady on their feet".....

As do BRB and NB and any other professional dance class I have seen on stage.

• Like 6

Still can't do pirouettes though :(

Trog have you tried filming yourself doing turns and then studying it? We did this a few years ago when dd was frustrated with lack of progress. She was slow to bring her arms in so was losing momentum. She was able to look at film scientifically rather than artistically to correct herself.

• Like 4

Sometimes if our class is crowded, there's not quite enough room on the fixed barres (they accommodate about 14 people comfortably) so I volunteer to use the wall - I can rest my hand against it for a bit of support, but not grip it like a barre. It really really helps my core strength, and reminds me to keep my weight forward. But I find that to enable me to really work and maintain my turnout while just having the wall to help, I need to lower my leg height for some exercises.

Well the barre part of a class does give the muscles etc a chance to warm up properly before doing things in the centre although the aim is not to grip the barre like grim death etc. Some days I'm more guilty of this than others!!