Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow much cheaper than Brighton then!!

Although you can lark for about £5 in Church Road....near the theatres there....from about 6pm onwards but weekends don't get cheaper otherwise here unfortunately.

I never drive into Brighton anymore for this reason.

Hi Michelle,

The Royal Ballet School studios were incredible (especially the air conditioning, given how hot it was that week), but I'd expect nothing less of them!

In terms of getting responses, the email account and phone number are all monitored by one person (Karen Sant), who also teaches adult classes as well as running the classes for children - so she's always extremely busy! You will get a response, but it might not be straight away.

The intensive this year is the first one we've ever had at KNT, so it's going to be a whole new experience for everyone involved! We're working on creating a pack of further information which will hopefully be sent out soon (keep an eye on your emails!).

I can answer a few of your questions:

- Drinking water will be allowed in the studio, but no food

- There is a cafe area in the building where we'll all be able to eat lunch, or if you wanted to go out for food there are loads of nearby places (such as Subway, Wasabi [a sushi place], Nandos, Greggs etc., and a few nearby shops including SPAR, Sainsburys, and Tesco)

- There is no car pack attached to The Dancehouse, but there is one on the street behind and another across the road (which happens to be the old sit of the BBC), as well as several more within walking distance. Both are reasonable prices, but I'd recommend not bringing a car if you can avoid it. Our public transport is excellent, with very frequent buses (every minute or so) in and out of the City Centre along Oxford Road, right past The Dancehouse, and Oxford Road station is only a couple of minutes walk away (Piccadilly Station is about ten/fifteen minutes, depending on how quick you walk). There are some roadworks going on around the City Centre and the University of Manchester (which is just down the road from The Dancehouse) at the minute, so driving by car will be quite tricky

- The information pack will include anything that you need to know about what to wear/bring

There is no official social outings planned (that I know of), but a lot of the class regulars will be at the intensive so I imagine we'll probably just arrange something at the time - but if something is arranged beforehand, then it will be mentioned in the information pack.

Hopefully this helps a bit!

(Also, as a side note for anybody who cares, the username refers to two different parts of my life - I studied Geology at University, and I love to dance. Kind of made sense to go with BalletRocks!)

• Like 4

Hi BalletRocks1

I will be travelling by car as I’m travelling down from Ballet West in the highlands of Scotland on Wednesday night. That school is a bit out of the way, near a small Scottish village called Taynuilt in Argyle. Unfortunately this time the usual hotel I stay at, was fully booked so I’m staying in Oban approximately 10 miles from Ballet West, further more I have a number of tutu’s with me for the different solo’s I’m being coached for, so a car is virtually essential for the amount of luggage I have and transport to and from this remote location.

While I’m in Manchester I’m booked in the Ibis at the Junction of Princess street and Charles street, according to one of there staff on the phone, there is a multi-storey car park almost opposite which is £10.00 a day, that will do me and I can leave it there. The Ibis seems to be quite close to the Dancehouse too.

Thanks for the other answers too, they are most helpful.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

I have booked for the Swan Lake Workshop too Terpsichore

I look forward to making your acquaintance, Bellini Pointe if we have not already met. I attend KNT Danceworks whenever Northern Ballet Academy is on holiday.

Regrettably I have recently done myself a mischief. I awoke on Wednesday morning with excruciating pain in the right side of my body. Fearing all sorts of maladies I obtained an emergency appointment at my local surgery and underwent a systematic examination. The doctor assured me that I was not suffering from appendicitis which was my immediate worry and told me to return today if the pain had not subsided. It did not and I reported for a further examination thismorning.

The physician who examined me this morning confirmed that I was unlikely to be suffering from appendicitis and prodded me in various places. Following his prodding he asked me whether I had undertaken any violent physical activity. I couldn't think of any but I told him I worked out in the gym and attended the Leeds over 55 ballet class. His ears pricked up and he asked me whether I had injured myself in any of those activities. I replied that I had not but he persisted saying that the injury may not have been apparent immediately. He concluded that all my symptoms were consistent with a pulled muscle and that it was much more likely than appendicitis, gore stones or some other kidney or liver complaint. His advice was to take it easy though to keep moving and apply pain relieving gel to the affected region. I have to say that I am feeling slightly better now though far from my normal intolerably bouncy self.

I have been introduced to Northern Ballet School's physiotherapist and I shall follow whatever advice he may give me.

Isn't there a KNT in Liverpool too Michelle?

That is so.

Karen Sant gave free taster classes in ballet, jazz and contemporary last September in Liverpool town hall and I wrote about the experience in my blog. We were welcomed by the Lord Mayor and her daughter who was acting as Lady Mayoress last year. The classes took place in the ball room where we were overlooked by the portraits of some of the city's most famous denizens. I happened to be near the picture of Lord Canning and I chose his eyes as a reference point for spotting.

In the interval between ballet and jazz the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress entertained us to a very generous repast and the Lady Mayoress (a very young and personable woman) spoke eloquently about her mother's work for a charity to relieve dementia.

I have many connections with, and much affection for, Liverpool and its environs. My father was born in Southport and my uncle attended Liverpool College. Some cousins still live in Hightown. 

The car park opposite the Dance House is very reasonable and at weekends the NCP behind it is only £3.50 all day.

I have nearly always been able to find free street parking either outside the Union or the Square a few hundred yards south of the Dance House.   Street parking is free south of the flyover. I think the car park is just to the north of that border

If anyone feels peckish after a class I can strongly recommend Casa Pancho (almost the name of one of the most charming artistic directors in the performing arts) two or three turnings south of the Dance House. They serve the best burritos I have tasted outside North America at very reasonably prices..

• Like 1

Hi Michelle,

Ah right, if you have a lot of stuff then a car will be needed! I'd recommend checking for any road closures the night before you set off - like I mentioned, there are a lot of roadworks going on at the minute! An entire section of Oxford Road by the University of Manchester is being closed to traffic for four weeks starting next Monday (the 10th), so the traffic flow around The Dancehouse and the City Centre will be affected.

The Ibis is only about a two minute walk from The Dancehouse - depending on which side of the hotel your room is on you migth even be able to see The Dancehouse from your window! If you can, though, I'd recommend asking for either an internal facing room (if they have any) or one away from both roads - there's a club across the road from the Ibis that is quite popular, so it can get pretty noisy. The car park that you've mentioned is one that's part of the University of Manchester - if you follow the link http://www.estates.manchester.ac.uk/services/operationalservices/carparking/carparks/, you'll find information about pricing.

I'm not sure if we've ever been in the same KNT classes Terpsichore, but I do recognise you from your picture (not sure if you recognise me!) so I've probably seen you around!

Terpsichore & Bellini Pointe - I'll see you both at Swan Lake!

Hi BalletRocks1

Thanks for the info on the road closures, hopefully we will have internet access at the Hotel in Oban and able to check those road closures. Traffic should be light by the time we arrive. My boyfriend may be with me if he can get the time off work, but we wont know until the 10th, if so he can navigate.

I got an email today from Karen Sant which literally said “Thank you”, only two words for my email confirming bank transfer done and a PDF of he signed registration form.

I wonder do you know what you are doing for your Swan Lake Workshop?

I note in your post #1666 you made the comment “We're working on creating a pack of further information which will hopefully be sent out soon” Does this mean you work for KNT ?

As for what to wear/bring, I’m not too worried about that as I’ve sufficient ballet wear to cover the roll of Giselle and the roll of the Willis.

What is important is advance detail of Rep being covered particularly the Peasant PDD solo. Firstly there is two completely different pieces of music used for that one, also even with the same piece of music almost each artist dances it somewhat differently.

At least as far as I’m aware the Dance of the Willis use the same pieces of music, but again each company dances it differently. The clip I have for this one is quite long , just under 9 minutes, however a music track I have for “Dance of the Willis” is only 2.40minute which appears half way through the video clip.

Also with either piece our teacher could drastically alter or simplify it so the variation becomes inspired from the scenes we are covering.

I wonder do you know what you are doing for your Swan Lake Workshop?

There is a very big question mark over whether I shall be fit enough to do the intensive by the 17 Aug.

I had hoped to take Jane Tucker's class in Leeds tomorrow but both my medical friends and dance friends warn me that that is far too early to start.

My GP couldn't promise that I'd be ready by 8 Sept when our Over 55 class starts again. A pulled muscle doesn't sounde much but I was in agony last week. I c couldn't sleep for 4 days because I could not lie down.

I took Jane Tucker's class at Leeds today without any adverse effects so far so I hope to be joining Bellini Pointe and the other students in Manchester after all..

I told Jane that I had put my name down for the intensive and she promised that the class would be fun, We met over the water cooler so didn't have time for much discussion.

I hope to take Jane's class next Thursday and I'll share anything I find out.

Great that you were back! I had a lovely class last night, ad my excellent teacher is starting to look at the new year's schedules (the studio "school year" starts in September). She thinks she'll be able to put on an advanced class on Friday nights -- a great way to start the weekend!

Have a great time at all the intensives going on: I'm very busy this summer, but am starting to plan to attend at least one of them next year. There are now so many to choose from which is wonderful.

Hello all!

Michelle, as I've mentioned in a previous post (#1666), Karen deals with all of the emails to KNT Danceworks herself and it's likely that she had hundreds more to respond to, so was simply too busy to formulate a longer response for you. As well as these adult intensives, KNT is running several day summer schools for children at the same time - so Karen is currently exceptionally busy replying to queries. If you were only sending your registration form and confirming that you'd made the payment (that's what it sounds like above?) then I'm not sure how long a response you'd want for that? Personally I'd be quite happy with a simple 'thank you', acknowledging that the payment/form had been received (and stopping me from wondering whether I'd turn up on the first day only to be told the payment and form had never been received).

Bellini Pointe & Michelle - I've got absolutely no idea what we're doing for Swan Lake (I was quite happy to leave it to be a surprise if I'm honest!). I trust that Jane Tucker will come up with something really fun (I've always enjoyed her guest teacher classes), so I'm happy to wait to find out. As long as I get to pretend I'm a swan for a little while I'll be happy! :)

I don't work for KNT, but I do help out on a volunteer basis when I'm needed! I help with the children's classes on a Saturday morning (taking money from parents for the classes, answering questions about the classes/KNT/teachers etc.) and I'm helping with some of the administration for the adult intensives - I work in administration so I offered to bring my work skills in to help out :)

You should get the information pack soon and all of the information about what you need to wear/bring and how to get there and whatnot will be included - if you have any burning questions though, feel free to ask and I'll answer what I can!

Terpsichore - injuries suck!! Hopefully everything will be back to normal for you before the intensive starts. I've currently got something going on in my left foot (nothing broken/fractured, GP thinks it's something soft tissue based) that flares up doing certain exercises, and a dodgy right ankle that is prone to sprains and strains. Just don't overdo it before the intensive, rest as much as you can and if the pain gets any worse then stop and go back to your doctor. I'd recommend bringing a mini first-aid kit with you if you can make it to the intensive, with all of things specific to helping your injury - I'll be bringing one that has lots of stuff for my feet/ankles in case either of them decides to go a bit funny on me.

Not long to go now! I can't wait :D

• Like 1

Hi BalletRocks1

The issue of the “Thank you”, is really a non-event, more importantly the lack of information. It was only the fact that Karen had got me the scene’s we were covering in the Giselle Intensive that I decided to apply, without that, there is no way I would have considered it.

I see from your post #1658 that you did the LAB intensive "Don Q" and the year before. The year before was Swan Lake, I did that too. The Information that was released included the video clip of the Royal Ballet performing “Waltz of the Swans” from Act 2, the info also recommended romantic tutu with white leotards. That is the way things should be done, admittedly these days LAB no longer produces the same degree of information, neither does the RAD, so I have for the most part dropped their Repertoire Workshop/Intensives for those organisations that do.

As this appears to be the first time KNT has run such an intensive I will put this episode down to the learning process of organising such an event, and hope future Intensives will be properly organised in well in advance of the course dates.

However I have emailed Jane Tucker direct, but to be honest it’s virtually too late now to do any degree of preparation as I’m on my last run-up for prep for Ballet West which takes priority.

As for what to bring, I’m pretty well covered for most things, including both costumes for this Intensive.

Strangely enough on Friday I did a double session at one of the Studio’s I hire, last thing I ran through Giselle’s solo from Act 1 in full costume, when I finished the door opens into a changing / rest area which also open into a larger studio. That studio was being used for a Musical Theatre Summer school for youngster, the changing area was full of them and I guess one chaperone teacher, one of the little girls see me in costume and ask if I was Snow White, she was so sweet it almost bought a tear to my eye.

For anyone who is doing the Giselle Intensive this is what we are supposed to be covering:

main solo from act one

peasant pas de deux solo (and maybe some peasant dances depending on time)

main willies dance from act two

I must say, I have fell in love with music from Dance of the Willis, it just grows on you.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Hi Michelle,

I can't say I really see where you're coming from with needing the information on what repertoire we'll cover - personally, I'm quite happy to leave both to be a surprise!

Both Giselle and Swan Lake and great ballets, so I'd be happy to do pretty much anything from either of them (as long as I get to prance around for a while pretending I'm Darcey Bussell I'm happy!). I haven't asked what we'll cover as I'm not bothered (I'll be happy just to go), but if you need to know what we're going to be doing then you'll just have to ask (bear in mind that as Karen isn't teaching the intensives she'll have to check with Jane Tucker - which means she won't be able to reply to you right away).

I'm not sure I ever actually looked at the information we were provided for LAB beforehand, other than to find out what I needed and where to go. I figured that they teach us everything we need to know for the performance whilst we're there (other than basic technique and the like), so there wasn't much point.

As you have mentioned in your post above, this is the first year that KNT Danceworks have run any intensives for adults, so it is a learning curve - if the intensives are put on again next year then it'll be easier to plan and put together everything that is needed as we'll have a bit of experience to call on. I have mentioned in previous posts (a couple of times I think) that you should get the full information pack soon, which includes all of the information on what you'll need to wear/bring - the forms that you'll have had so far are only intended to capture basic details, which I recall was also how LAB did things last year (there was a simple application pack with basic information about what we'd be doing, and then a second one further down the line with more detail).

If you do have any constructive suggestions on how you would like to see things run, then feel free to private message a list to me and I can pass it on to Karen (I'll see her this week in our regular classes).

Only a week to go until Swan Lake! :)

Also, as a side note, have you all heard about what happened to Jonathan Olliver? He was a great dancer (I've only seen him perform in recordings, never live), and it's such a shame about what happened to him.

• Like 5

Terpsichore - injuries suck!! Hopefully everything will be back to normal for you before the intensive starts. I've currently got something going on in my left foot (nothing broken/fractured, GP thinks it's something soft tissue based) that flares up doing certain exercises, and a dodgy right ankle that is prone to sprains and strains. Just don't overdo it before the intensive, rest as much as you can and if the pain gets any worse then stop and go back to your doctor. I'd recommend bringing a mini first-aid kit with you if you can make it to the intensive, with all of things specific to helping your injury - I'll be bringing one that has lots of stuff for my feet/ankles in case either of them decides to go a bit funny on me.

Not long to go now! I can't wait :D

I'm sorry to hear about your foot. I hope all goes well for you too.

Thank you for your prudent suggestions, particularly about carrying a mini first aid kit.

Like you I can hardly wait for "Swan Lake". I am treating this as my summer holiday though I do hope to get to Amsterdam for the start of the ballet season on 8 Sept as well to Cornwall for a long weekend in mid-September.

Hi Michelle,

I can completely understand why you, as an individual with particular goals in mind, would feel the need to know the exact details well in advance for these workshops, but I'm afraid you will have to accept that others do not, as a general rule, require the same amount of information.

Most people, as the others have said above, either want to be surprised on the day, or are simply happy to accept the experience on offer. In fact IMO the whole point of the day is that everyone is starting from scratch with no prior knowledge of what is being taught. Then after the workshop you would have the opportunity to "take it away" and perfect it for performance should you wish to.

Certainly form a teacher's point of view it would be a complete nightmare to have someone constantly piping up & saying "This version is different from how I've been preparing it" or "But on Youtube X did it this way!" It would be pretty irritating for the other participants as well TBH, and possibly intimidating to have someone there who already knew the work.

As I said, I do completely understand why you would not want to waste your money on a workshop that was covering a variation you already knew, or a different version of one that you didn't want to learn, but what I take issue with is your statement that "that is the way things should be done" - when in fact it is just the way you want them to be done.

• Like 11

I imagine it's also really important to adapt and change things to suit the people attending and not have too fixed an idea of which 'version' to teach. personally I like the challenge of trying to pick up on the day and the details I'd really value in advance would be where to park/stay/ eat/ what to bring etc

• Like 8

Certainly for me ANY version of a major classic solo would have to be adapted to be comfortable to do!

Im very happy to self adapt too in little ways ......like always doing assembles instead of brisees .....because for example in that instance I could aim for a half decent assemble but probably a poor brisee....especially if a series in a row(as in Who Cares) by Balanchine.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE brisees but just can't get off the floor high enough to do justice to them these days....just wish I was Luke Scaufuss.

Unless the workshop is actually labelled Advanced/professional workshop then of course the teacher just doesn't know who is going to turn up on the day so has to adapt to who is there.

Franziska on her workshops for example always divides into two groups so you can go for a more advanced version or an easier version which is very helpful.....Whether for class routines or repertoire.

It's difficult sometimes because as a rule I'd rather do something easier and do it really well (for me) than struggle with something too,hard although occasionally it is wise to challenge yourself a bit just to see what happens.

The issue of seeing on YouTube first even though am happy to watch different versions is not that good for me anyway as I'm not that wonderful at learning from videos so learning a variation by actually doing it suits me better and am happy to trust the teacher on what she thinks is appropriate to learn on the day......part of the fun.

• Like 6

Well I guess I have a completely different mindset, to the rest of you girls, If I’m spending hard ernt money, I expect to get a product that complies to a proper description, in simple terms it must do what it says on the tin . That was an essential part of my working life as head of a design department, so in this I have a very proactive mindset with expectations and surprises don’t feature in it in a positive way.

Firstly I booked the Giselle workshop after Karen Sant had provided me with the scenes being covered from Jane Tucker. I must say this was done in a very timely manor an impressed me. Secondly after looking at the Scenes, Giselle Solo from act 1 has some differences but has a lot of commonality in its structures and I know Natalia Osipover’s version reasonably well, even her latest with RB has very little change.

The Peasant PDD solo is the most difficult to second guess, first I have found two entirely different pieces of music used for this one and quite a wide range different choreography to the same music.

In the past I have always regarded Act2 as dreary, mainly because of the low lighting for the grave side scene, and for some reason I never really actively listen to the music particularly the Dance of the Willis. After hearing that I fell in love with the music. In general the is quite a lot of commonality in the choreography from the different companies. I’m at least looking at it, as I cannot afford to learn something prior, only to unlearn it on the to relearn a different version, I’ve been there too many times before.

With at least the basic scene info in place with an expectation of further detail, I checked I could reschedule my time at Ballet West, they confirmed and I booked and paid in full for this Intensive. Without that info in place, I would not have given this Intensive a second glance.

As for the future, well that’s left to Karen and Jane, I won’t try and second guess their ongoing policy until they have gone through their own learning process or running this type of Intensive. If it’s a rigid non disclosure of the basic choreography source, then its off my to do list.

Hi Youngatheart

If I can take some of your comments:

You have used the word “Exact Detail”, I can help think that is somewhat misleading, I would expect the basic structure of the scene to comply but some step types may be modified to suit the dancers limitation, there Im not specifically talking experience as this may well be physical. In any case many of us do not, or do not dance sufficiently well of point to do all of the choreography justice.

Second para: by providing the info for those of us that want to work at it in preparation, is in no way detrimental to those that don’t. As for everyone starting from scratch, firstly this isn’t a contest or a race. Secondly, life isn’t like that, some may have danced scenes from Giselle before, as I have done. As for taking it away, I’m already doing the Dance of the Willis for one of My Christmas Shows but I don’t as yet know what version, the other with the LAB group is also from Giselle but I don’t know what we are covering until we go back in September. Ultimately I will re-choreography that music into a solo, it just to beautiful to leave alone.

Third para: I would agree in principle from a “what if” point of view, but that would be so unprofessional to be blatant bad manners and is extremely unlikely. In any case if you are one of the more experienced ones, should you not be helping the others less fortunate than yourself, so being an asset rather that a liability. The sort of thing that comes to mind, is doing a short sequence across the room in pairs, and sometimes there is a lone dancer who may feeling very uncomfortable on their, shouldn’t a more experienced dancer partner them so at least that have someone to follow.

Last para: You are absolutely right “It is the way I want them done”, but more importantly its not at the detriment of those that don’t want to used it and in get the opportunity to prance around pretending to be Darcey Bussell, each to there own, there is room for us all.

Hi Moomin

For me it not about being challenged, it all challenging, I want to dance it, not just try and remember the steps in short term memory and muddle through it. I know the time it takes through rehearsals at LAB to learn and dance a scene and the difficulties we all have. LinMM will know this as we are both part of LABs company of dancer.

Info pack arrived at 1.27 am Thursday morning, what to wear seem totally inappropriate for Giselle, Black Leo and Black Skirt, dancers to decide if black or pink ballet tights. I cant help think this is just awful, I know I’m more fortunate than most as I generally have professional ballet costumes for most leading rolls and I have these already packed with the three tutu's I'm using at Ballet West

If one knows what to bring well in advance then your intensive may well look like the Swan Lake we did with LAB at the Royal Ballet School last year.

Hi LinMM

Firstly this Giselle Workshop is labelled as “Advanced”

Secondly “Franziska” on her repertoire workshop usually issues Youtube clips of the choreograph, together with some degree of step description. I really like those workshop as she usually takes some of the more challenging pieces. The idea of a dual standard group dancing to the same music is a good one and many teachers use it, I personally this it works better with self selection which is of the process. However especially with LAB dancers are grouped in a similar but by the teacher, but that can in some instances work against you. I remember at the LAB Swan Lake Intensive we were all learning the opening for ACT4, it’s a very long piece and we learnt in three sections totally disjointed. The really was a nice piece with beautiful haunting music, quite late on all three pieces were put together, many dancers had trouble remembering all of the centre piece, although originally everyone was able to dance it. Admittedly she ask the class if they wanted it simplified, most agreed with her, for me I thought the question was asked to prematurely and I was really disappointed to have lost that choreography.

Finally Off Topic slightly:

Firstly I'm taking my boyfriend with me to Scotland and Manchester, does the performance allow a friends and family audience?

Does anyone know of venues in Manchester where I can take my boyfriend Salsa dancing in the evening?

I'm not sure why asking for black leotards and skirts for an intensive is "awful". Almost every summer school and intensive my teenage dd has done - including at Elmhurst and ENBS - requires black leotards to be worn for the end of course demonstration, regardless of repertoire. This is of course excepting those intensives like LCB SS where the dancers are costumed.

I assume there are two reasons for this - firstly that almost all dancers already have at least one black leotard, so it saves buying a new leotard for each intensive - and secondly, the audience can concentrate on the dancers without being distracted by different coloured leotards or different styles/colours of tutus.

• Like 5

To my mind giving advance notice of scenes and including a video or you tube clip of the dances o be taught could also be deemed misleading as you will almost certainly not be being taught and getting 'what it says on the tin' - not unless all the attendees are professional level and on pointe. Any good teacher will be adapting the choreography significantly on the day to suit the students who attend. Advanced is a broad term and will still cover a huge range of both ages and levels. The teacher needs the freedom to adapt the choreography as much as possible or even change her mind about what to teach so that she can meet the expectations of her students. My DD once attended a workshop expecting one thing, only to be taught a completely different scene from a ballet after the teacher decided this particular group could do more in the time allotted than her previous groups and she wanted them to get more from it.

I mention expectations of the students and I think this is where individual mindsets come into it as much as anything. As Michelle says you are spending hard earnt money - so what do you expect out of it and why are you attending in the first place.  Are you going with the aim of learning a certain amount of repertoire to a certain standard or are you going to challenge yourself, to try something new with different people , for the love of ballet and for pure personal enjoyment.

DD's teachers would say that the point of a workshop is to help develop the dancer's skills in a variety of areas, and also to expose the dancer to new and different styles helping them to become more well rounded and that it is a chance to learn new choreography from well known dancers and choreographers.  DD has always viewed a workshop as a combination of being taught and collaboration between dancers and teachers.  It is not a preparation for a performance.  In fact as a parent, I can safely say that if family and friends have been able to watch at the end, it has never been described as a 'performance of X' but rather as a 'showing of what they have been working on for X'.  Bear in mind here, I am not talking about young children - but advanced teenage dancers and adult dancers and I am talking 'workshop' and not 'course'

• Like 5

Michelle - salsa in Manchester - the Cuba Café on Port Street has classes and social dancing and also there is salsa-manchester.co.uk who also offer classes and social dancing. I cannot recommend one over the other as I have no personal experience - a friend has done both but a few years ago now and as a total beginner.

I have just received my joining instructions for KNT's adult ballet summer intensive in Manchester starting next Monday and I can barely contain my excitement. I am a bit apprehensive too because I am 66 years old, horribly overweight, badly coordinated and one of the least talented ballet students who ever clutched a barre but chances like this don't grow on trees. For three glorious days I can pretend to be a real dancer.

When I told my junior clerk in London that I was taking three days holiday between Monday and Wednesday he asked me where I was going. "Manchester" I replied. The silence was palpable. Eventually I heard: "You serious Miss." "Yes!" I exclaimed and I don't think I have ever looked forward more to a holiday even though I have been to Tiwai Island, the Khyber pass, Mount Aconcagua and lots of other wonderful places in previous years.

I am also looking forward to one other performance.  Our over 55 class are dancing in A Feast of Music and Dance by Older Performers at Morley town hall on 26 Sept 2015 as part of The Time to Shine project. The show is open to the public and tickets are free but must be booked in advance on 0113 2438765. As this will be my swan song I am looking forward to a flower throw but I guess that is too much to hope for.

• Like 2

I've never attended an "Advanced" workshop before as to me I think of Advanced as being at least at Advanced level RAD or BBO so I wouldn't be attracted to do it as I'm only Intermediate level...on a good day!!

All of the workshops I've attended so far have been for students with at least two years ballet experience up to Advanced which just suits an old lady like me better!!

Though having said that have been in class with some older ladies ..but ex professionals ....who are still pretty good and still have 90 arabesque. Though the really big jumps are always a bit of a prob for 60 plus year olds. Their petty allegro is still marvellous though.

Anyway hope you all enjoy this Giselle workshop sounds good!

• Like 1