Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Just to say that I have had the time of my life and I am still loating on air. Vlad the Lad and his Mum and Dad saw me dance as well as Skydancer and several other friends.

Performing in front of an audience is very different from centre work in class or even rehearsing. The presence of several hundred fellow human beings who have each paid £6 to see the show many of whom are likely to  know a lot about ballet adds zest and raises one's game. I found the experience remarkably like advocacy and the part of my brain that switches on when I go into court kicked in on stage. Just as you are toast if you appear less than confident in court you dare not let your smile slip on stage.   I am sure that I must have made every mistake possible but I kept smiling and dancing and nobody threw rotten eggs at me. Or if the did, their aim was lousy.

Waiting for me at the end of the show was a  beautiful big bouquet from Skydancer.

I was dancing next to Michelle_Richer for much of the show and she looked lovely.

I have no idea of how we looked to the audience but Skydancer was there and she has offered to review the show for Terpsichore,  

A DVD will  be available in due course.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 8

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Terpisichore

Very well done, that was a lovely smile I see on your face, I guess that’s a moment you will remember all your life.

For me I was a little disappointed, it was a lovely moment dancing on that stage with such lovely people but it all ended so quickly, I almost felt robbed. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning and dancing that enchainement to “Return of the Maxim” with you and the other ladies of Northern, I mustn’t call them girls as I was told off by one of them, but in a nice way. I will certainly miss you all on Tuesdays, as in September I’m starting with City Academy on a 12 wk performance course ending with performances in two shows at Sadler Wells for Christmas. However I will be back if Northern OK the Christmas show, as the City Academy course is in the evenings, hey ho back to my 500mile round trips again.

At least today I did get the chance to try out the stage makeup, although it was very cramp in the ladies loos, sharing two mirrors above the wash basins. Tomorrow at ENB I will be taking my own mirror, which I nearly did today. The makeup video I told you about is on post #1135 of this thread, which was basically the technique I was following.

Can I assume the lady that was with you when I came out the lift at the end was Skydancer?. When I first arrived another lady came up to me and ask if I was Michelle Richer from the BalletCo forum, she has two daughters at Northern and is an avid reader of this forum including this thread, but doesn’t post.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 3

For me I was a little disappointed, it was a lovely moment dancing on that stage with such lovely people but it all ended so quickly, I almost felt robbed. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning and dancing that enchainement to “Return of the Maxim” with you and the other ladies of Northern, I mustn’t call them girls as I was told off by one of them, but in a nice way. I will certainly miss you all on Tuesdays, as in September I’m starting with City Academy on a 12 wk performance course ending with performances in two shows at Sadler Wells for Christmas. However I will be back if Northern OK the Christmas show, as the City Academy course is in the evenings, hey ho back to my 500mile round trips again.

Can I assume the lady that was with you when I came out the lift at the end was Skydancer?. When I first arrived another lady came up to me and ask if I was Michelle Richer from the BalletCo forum, she has two daughters at Northern and is an avid reader of this forum including this thread, but doesn’t post.

I know. I felt a little sad after the reverence too. It was indeed a delightful moment but then all good things have to come to an end.  Remember that tantalizing hypothetical of Anjuli_Bai a few weeks ago where we could dance anything we liked for one night only. Well it was a bit like that.

I enjoyed the rehearsals and classes very much and it was a pleasure to work with you and all the rest of the cast.  

I would love to do it all again but it is very time consuming and there is a little matter of earning a living.

I did meet Skydancer this evening but I thought you already knew each other.   She certainly knows you.

One of my teachers has two girls at the Academy. Perhaps it was she.

Well done to both of you for Saturday.

Terpsichore I love that you found the connection between parts of your job and dancing on stage.. both different types of acting really :)

I often think performing is a kind of 'adrenalin sport'... been thinking about this a lot today as I played in a concert last night which was the outcome of nearly six months of rehearsals - you might not be jumping off a cliff or parachuting out of an aeroplane (neither things I have any desire to do), but there's the same build-up - anticipation - worry about things that might go wrong - the rush of the moment, which is over so quickly - followed by a sense of achievement but often mixed with a feeling of come-down, even disappointment. Especially if it's a one-off performance - all that build-up and then it's been and gone in a couple of hours or even a few minutes. Like extreme sports, it can also be very addictive... the sense of come-down never entirely goes away, but I do find it's helped by having more performances lined up ;)

• Like 3

It's so great to see Red & Terpsichore making the connections between presentation/performance and adrenalin in dance. Any action where you are using your body, face, voice, breath to communicate something is a performance in a sense and it does increase adrenalin levels and become addictive. Terpsichore was definitely still on a high today, boosted I hope by a lovely day spent mingling with amazing dancers, teachers and people from Northern Ballet.

Speaking of Northern Ballet, here's my write-up of the showing yesterday: http://jelterps.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-dance-did-go-on-northern-ballet.html :)

And Michelle, it was indeed me who you saw at the lift yesterday!

• Like 2

I often think performing is a kind of 'adrenalin sport'... been thinking about this a lot today as I played in a concert last night which was the outcome of nearly six months of rehearsals - you might not be jumping off a cliff or parachuting out of an aeroplane (neither things I have any desire to do), but there's the same build-up - anticipation - worry about things that might go wrong - the rush of the moment, which is over so quickly - followed by a sense of achievement but often mixed with a feeling of come-down, even disappointment. Especially if it's a one-off performance - all that build-up and then it's been and gone in a couple of hours or even a few minutes. Like extreme sports, it can also be very addictive... the sense of come-down never entirely goes away, but I do find it's helped by having more performances lined up ;)

Performing on Saturday was a delicious experience and one that I will treasure for the rest of my life but it is not one that I am likely to repeat in a hurry. I invested a lot of time in preparing for this performance by attending nearly all the rehearsals and taking extra classes and coaching to the detriment of my practice. I am a barrister and not a ballet dancer and I enjoy my work tremendously. Happily I have never had to make the choice, but had I studied ballet at the right age and shown exceptional promise, I doubt that I would have contemplated a different career.

Much of the spice of appearing on stage for the first time was that it was a first.   I had no idea of how I would react to dancing to a paying audience in a commercial theatre in a major city. I did not know what thoughts would rush through my head, whether I would rise to the occasion or freeze like a rabbit in a car's headlights. Now I know those things so although I am sure that I would enjoy another adrenaline rush I will never again experience the thrill of a first appearance. 

Like Michelle_Richer I did feel a tinge of sadness after the show was over but that sadness was very short lived. Waiting for me upstairs was Skydancer's bouquet. Afterwards hugs from my friends and family.  The joy on little Vlad's face when I gave him Anna Kemp's "Dogs Don't Do Ballet."   A lovely meal at the Wardrobe with my family and Skydancer.  A house full of guests.  Lovely texts, tweets and emails from friends from all over the world.   Especially after Skydancer's review appeared.  And best of all the 10th anniversary gala of Northern Ballet Academy where I met Kenneth Tindall, Hannah Bateman, Yoko Ichino, Cara O'Shea and many others over afternoon tea and saw a magnificent succession of brilliant young dancers of whom the most memorable was Courtney George.

I have two more classes with Northern Ballet before the end of the year after which I think I will revert to two classes a week at Huddersfield. It is possible that my work may take me to London and I know of at least one good teacher there.  I will keep taking class somewhere in the world for as long as I can.  My next challenge in ballet is to perfect my pirouettes and I think that will keep me busy for quite some time.

One last point, I don't think I ever acknowledged Michelle_Richer's kind compliment:

"Very well done, that was a lovely smile I see on your face, I guess that’s a moment you will remember all your life."

Thank you, my dear, and choukas and/or toi-toi for Saturday.  Too bad it had to fall on the weekend Yorkshire folds up for the Tour de France.

• Like 6

Ah, that's fair enough Terpsichore - all that preparation can take up lots of time and energy! I do hope we'll see you back on stage one day (and also in Sheffield at some point!) And good luck with the pirouettes :)

No ballet for me again this week - frustrating, but also a case of having to earn a living and not enough hours in the day!

............................... I do hope we'll see you back on stage one day (and also in Sheffield at some point!) And good luck with the pirouettes :)

No ballet for me again this week - frustrating, but also a case of having to earn a living and not enough hours in the day!

Many thanks for your kind remarks.

I should like to dance in next year's over 55 class contribution to the Academy's end of year show if that is possible.

I will certainly come to Hype whenever Fiona has to cancel her Tuesday class in Huddersfield.  

I am sorry you will have to miss class this week. Had you been dancing I would have come to Sheffield this evening even though I have already taken a lunch time class with Fiona in Huddersfield. 

My problem with pirouettes seems to be that I can't stay on demi-point for long enough to complete a turn. I can just about prepare for one turn and then I have to stop.   That may be because my toes and ankles are weak but it is probably because I am too heavy.   Fiona has given me an exercise to work on and of course there are regular tendus,

• Like 1

Hi SkyDancer

Terpsichore was under the impression we knew each other (ref post #1196  ) other than outside the lift at Northern. If we have met other than on the forum then I’m sorry for not recognising you.

Terpsichore
For me the dancing goes on; it was another dress rehearsal on Sunday with LAB using English National Ballet largest studio as there were over 70 dancers present for our show, it was simply awesome. LinMM was also there as our resident Tutu repairer helping the girls out, I still have a couple of minor repairs to do on one of my overlays.

Apart from a short barre and centre we did one run-though with corrections and tweaks . followed by a full run-through of everything end to end as it would be in the show, I think we are looking in good shape for our performance now on Saturday. However Saturday will be a really long day as its company class warm-up at 9.30am, we should get two rehearsals in again, one off site and the other at the Bloomsburry Theatre before our first show at 3pm, with our last performance ending around 9.30pm and then a bit of a celebration at 10pm.

Get Saturday over, download everything out of my brain as its dress rehearsal at the Angles Theatre on Sunday morning 10am for the following weeks performances. Then I get a rest in the form of a 6 day intensive at the Royal Ballet School with LABs First Summer Intensive on the Don Quixote rep with a performance on the end of that course.

One day I might see my home again.

• Like 2

I am sorry you will have to miss class this week. Had you been dancing I would have come to Sheffield this evening even though I have already taken a lunch time class with Fiona in Huddersfield. 

My problem with pirouettes seems to be that I can't stay on demi-point for long enough to complete a turn. I can just about prepare for one turn and then I have to stop.   That may be because my toes and ankles are weak but it is probably because I am too heavy.   Fiona has given me an exercise to work on and of course there are regular tendus,

In the 6.30pm class tonight with Fiona we concentrated solely on learning the new, revised choreography for the Chance to Dance piece. I expect we will be doing the same for the next 2 classes since the performance is on 19th July. We made more progress in Advanced, even though VBee and I were completely useless for the last half hour of it!

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, Terpsichore, with pirouettes you do need to relax your legs and feet into the floor before the plie so that you can get the energy to then press up onto demi-pointe. Trust your legs and your feet more during that stage, let them root into the floor so that you can really push off on your landing pad (with both feet) before bringing the other foot into retire. Pirouettes are all about centering and aligning those floors in your body: the ground supports your feet, your pelvic floor supports your level pelvis, your level pelvis supports your spine, your spine supports your balanced head! 

Hi SkyDancer

Terpsichore was under the impression we knew each other (ref post #1196  ) other than outside the lift at Northern. If we have met other than on the forum then I’m sorry for not recognising you.

Hi Michelle. You have been in class with me before on a couple of occasions, most recently at the Northern Ballet's Inter/Advanced class with Chris HL. My friend and I were the loiterers after class who managed to get extra time with him to cover the nitty gritty of grand jete en tournant (all in the hips!) And I think you were also in attendance at BRB's Aladdin workshop last year with Ruth Brill (or at least someone who looks like you was) but IIRC you weren't actually dancing then...Correct me if I'm wrong!!

• Like 2

Hi Skydancer

Wow what a memory you have, I do vaguely remember that session with Chris and at least one girl after class doing some quite elevated jete en tournant’s, I wonder was that you? I guess you may well have been next to me when I was chatting to Chris near the piano when the class had ended, I really liked Chris as a teacher, I met him again later that week when he was teaching company class at the Grand Theatre.

Yes I did the BRB Aladdin workshop that seems such along while ago now.

I don’t understand your comment “ but IIRC you weren't actually dancing then”

Did you do the BRB workshop this year, I swapped emails with them but decided not to attend unless they were teaching a scene from one of the major classics.

I met another girl from the same Intermediate/Advanced class at Northern doing the City Academy’s Ballet Master Class at The Royal Opera House Covent Garden. This was November 2013, I was hoping to see her at Northern but never did. Its not often I can get to that later class unless my regulare class at English National Ballet are on break. They are today for just one week, and I had a trustee meeting in London, so unusually for me no ballet today.

I'm really sorry I didn’t stop and have a chat, I feel relly awful about that. I often meet people Ive done workshops or Intensives with, all over the place but I can never remember their names.

Hi Skydancer

Wow what a memory you have, I do vaguely remember that session with Chris and at least one girl after class doing some quite elevated jete en tournant’s, I wonder was that you? I guess you may well have been next to me when I was chatting to Chris near the piano when the class had ended, I really liked Chris as a teacher, I met him again later that week when he was teaching company class at the Grand Theatre.

Yes I did the BRB Aladdin workshop that seems such along while ago now.

I don’t understand your comment “ but IIRC you weren't actually dancing then”

Did you do the BRB workshop this year, I swapped emails with them but decided not to attend unless they were teaching a scene from one of the major classics.

I met another girl from the same Intermediate/Advanced class at Northern doing the City Academy’s Ballet Master Class at The Royal Opera House Covent Garden. This was November 2013, I was hoping to see her at Northern but never did. Its not often I can get to that later class unless my regulare class at English National Ballet are on break. They are today for just one week, and I had a trustee meeting in London, so unusually for me no ballet today.

I'm really sorry I didn’t stop and have a chat, I feel relly awful about that. I often meet people Ive done workshops or Intensives with, all over the place but I can never remember their names.

My memory is quite a freakish one. Important things tend to get lost in it, but I can recall photographic detail of the most random of events. That certainly sounds like me, and I do remember you chatting to him next to the piano (and Ian the pianist!) Chris is a fantastic teacher and has lots of advice to give.

Well, I remember that you participated in the ballet portion of the workshop but then you seemed to step out when we cracked on with the Djinn dance and the finale dance. I didn't go this year, it was a fun thing but quite pricey when you factor in train tickets. My focus this year has been on developing my classical technique and developing my own movement language. I'm really not that enamoured with classical ballet workshops as a whole, I will never develop the technique I need to satisfactorily pull off a 'classical' variation so I'd rather keep my focus on the things I can do really, really well. Anyway, the male repertoire seems more exciting to me anyway, and that never seems to get taught in workshops.

Speaking of workshops I've just come back from an awesome one with one of my teachers, Benoit Egloff (head of Classical Ballet at The Space). During the first portion we focused on this Felix Blaska piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3THkaro99Y Learned the main choreography, improvised on the theme of and then ran it through a few times. During the second half of the workshop we analysed the overture to Verdi's 'La Traviata', picking out instruments/themes/moods etc. We then choreographed a physical composition that literally was the music, our bodies were the orchestra and we made it come to life. It was a wonderful day, focused on developing different layers of musicality and rhythm and it gave me plenty of inspiration to keep pushing my own development further.

Anyway, back to topic! Don't worry about not stopping to chat, I'm sure our paths will cross again one day :)

Hi Skydancer

I don’t recall going early from BRB as I drove there in my car. My memory now of that event is quite vague, I do remember leaving when everyone else did as I was with a group of girls leaving and talking to some one, not sure if it was our teacher or not about organising other adult workshops, I did follow that up with a number of emails.
As for the two dances you mentioned , the Djinn Dance, having looked at something on youtube, I think I did do that one, I think we had to partner someone for that or at least part of it and I had the only guy that was present during that class. The finale I cant remember at all but I think it highly probable that I was there. As that part of the workshop was more like contemporary it would get filed in my brain as fun and not ballet, so its unlikely I would remember it. Im surprised you found that workshop pricey even though you had factored in Train fairs. But then I guess I spend considerably more that most on virtually full time ballet at around £1000 a month, sometime considerably more.

I remember doing a Summer School at Stamford where they had Lyrical, Modern and Hip Hop down for the Tuesday, I did the rest of the week but did ENB on the Tuesday instead. Friday ended with a friends and family performance of what had been learn during the summer school. The dancers were mainly in their teens other that a couple in their twenties. Thursday was the rehearsal, the lyrical ( I was told Lyrical and contemporary are the same) was the first piece to be rehearsed as I wasn’t present my teacher said I could sit it out and watch, three other girls were already in the audience seating. So I said "no, its dancing isn’t it, in that case I will go to the back and try and follow the other girls, If I cant I will just wing it”, and that’s what I did and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The three girls that were sat down were sent to join me. I did sit out on the Friday performance for that piece as I didn’t think I would remember it, but when the music started it all came flooding back and I really wish Id been performing to it. Again that was filed in the brain under fun not ballet.

For me my love of ballet is classical and from the classics, I primarily dance for me as its unlikely I will ever have the flexibility, strength or technique to match a professional, but I wont get hung up about that, I will always try my hardest to push my own ability. I have shed all my classes that don’t support performances other than ENB, however I still use many of those previous classes as gap fillers during term breaks if they are still running, after all I’ve generally built up a good relationship between the teacher and myself and the other dancers too for that matter.

In the new year I will review my classes again, the bias of performing classes will be solely towards scenes from the classics and not from teacher own choreographed enchainements. It’s also likely I will be doing more one-to-one sessions on classical repertoire.

I am sure our paths will cross again, and I will look forward to it

The LAB production to be performed at The Bloomsbury Theatre on Saturday is looking really terrific so if anyone is undecided about whether to go......I would as I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it!

I wish I could have been more useful last Sunday but most people were pretty much organised and didn't need much help.

The level of concentration throughout the day I must say was fantastic.

• Like 1

Michelle_Richer and LinMM

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see you and Michelle_Richer but the Tour de France passes within a few hundred yards of my front door and all the streets around me will be closed to vehicular traffic. Leeds has come out in jaundice and tea rooms and pubs all round the county including Sid's Cafe in Holmfirth seem to have caught measles. What would Compo and Norah Battye have thought, I wonder.

Also, though I am not a cycling fan I have to confess to a modicum of curiosity about the event. This is the only time I am likely to see the Tour in my village and when you think of it it has quite a lot in common with ballet such as athletes in top form, rapid movement, crowds and drama. Moreover my little Pennine village has temporarily become an extension of France.

I will be thinking of you both and wish everybody in the show choukas and/or toi-toi.

PS This may amuse Michelle_Richer who dances in our county

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/03/le-tour-yorkshire-french-translation-guide_n_5554354.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 3

Hi Lin
Don’t think you are out of a job, I see several tutu’s tonight with the pink overlay adrift in places. Mine only has 3 fastening points left from about a dozen, I think the cotton must break when the tutu is folded up. I shall re-stitch mine tomorrow with Pointe shoe ribbon thread which is extremely strong, I will also have some small safety pins for emergency repairs just in case.

Lin unless you have something else on, do come and help out, you are part of the LAB company now, just go round the girls asking if they need any help, me and a couple of others tonight needed help in tying the ribbons at the back of our tutu overlay as it kept coming undone.

Thank you everyone. For me the second performance was the best as everyone got a better measure of the stage and the lines were much straighter, I know I made a little slip on the Nutcracker finale in the first performance but fine in the second. I was told we got a standing ovation for the second performance but we couldn’t see it when the curtain came down. When I went into the bar after the last performance several people came up and said how they enjoyed the show including one guy where it was the first time he had seen ballet, now its sounds as if he’s hooked. When it all ended my eyes welled up a bit, I just felt so proud to be part of it. To get a true account of how it went ask LinMM as she was in the audience for the second show, but serving on the LAB stand for most of the rest of the day.

Ah well another dress rehearsal tomorrow then performing all week except Thursday and two performances on Saturday again at the Angles Theatre in Cambridgeshire.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. For me the second performance was the best as everyone got a better measure of the stage and the lines were much straighter, I know I made a little slip on the Nutcracker finale in the first performance but fine in the second. I was told we got a standing ovation for the second performance but we couldn’t see it when the curtain came down. When I went into the bar after the last performance several people came up and said how they enjoyed the show including one guy where it was the first time he had seen ballet, now its sounds as if he’s hooked. When it all ended my eyes welled up a bit, I just felt so proud to be part of it. To get a true account of how it went ask LinMM as she was in the audience for the second show, but serving on the LAB stand for most of the rest of the day.

Ah well another dress rehearsal tomorrow then performing all week except Thursday and two performances on Saturday again at the Angles Theatre in Cambridgeshire.

I am so glad the show went well.   I really wish I could have been down in London to see you this weekend.   If you did as well in London this evening as you did in Leeds last week you will have deserved a standing ovation,

I look forward to your next performance in London or the North.

I also look forward one day to making the acquaintance of LinMM. x

• Like 1

I saw the evening performance and it was a lovely evening of Dance and really great to be in the audience.....as it always is when people know the dancers on stage a lovely family sort of atmosphere. There was a really well deserved standing ovation for the company at the end which some dancers standing at the very back on the stage at the end apparently may not have been aware of but Im sure they must have felt the warmth and support of the audience during the show.

The added bonus of the two lovely professionals ....Tomomi Sato and Pedro Lapetra......who did the pas de deux from Nutcracker and Corsaire was the iceing( icing?) on the cake! Two great I felt very musical interpretations absolutely stunning .....what a treat!!

It was nice for me too to catch up with quite a few old friends there that day both at Matinee and evening performances and also to see some teachers of some of the LAB dancers supporting them by attending the show!

Just hope I can be one of the dancers next year but I thoroughly enjoyed my day in "the shop" and as programme seller.

I must have been a bit tired by the end though as in the evening interval a customer wanted a programme and I said to them "yes and how much are they?"

"Well I was going to ask you that" was the somewhat bemused reply.

• Like 4

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, Terpsichore, with pirouettes you do need to relax your legs and feet into the floor before the plie so that you can get the energy to then press up onto demi-pointe. Trust your legs and your feet more during that stage, let them root into the floor so that you can really push off on your landing pad (with both feet) before bringing the other foot into retire. Pirouettes are all about centering and aligning those floors in your body: the ground supports your feet, your pelvic floor supports your level pelvis, your level pelvis supports your spine, your spine supports your balanced head! 

A minor miracle occurred at Team Hud this lunch time. T'owd lass managed to stay on demi-pointe in retiré long enough to complete most of a turn. I now try your exercise every time I go into a studio. Something else that helped was a stepping exercise that Fiona showed me to strengthen my toes and ankles.

There being no classes in Huddersfield I will go to Sheffield tomorrow.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 7

Hi Lin
I don’t think any of us see the standing ovation, I’m not sure who told me about it, possibly you or Tom or probably one of the audience I met in the bar later. And if you recall I was front line from the ending position of La Sylphides Reel., the only people in front was initially our two professionals and the young lady J.Li who did the Arabian dance solo, she was at the side of me but just in front. Tom and Lisa out Teachers came on last, then the curtain came down but from our side it was a 3 ton metal fire screen.

My dress rehearsal on Sunday at the Angles Theatre didn’t go so well, as a group our performance was about the worst I have ever seen it, not really sure why but we were 3 girls absent, most of it was the last part of our sequence for most of us, I know I momentarily lost concentration and lost it with the music but did pick up by the ending, what I found really annoying was the applause we got from the other students sat in the audience seating at the end of it, as we really did not earn that. Needless to say we were all pretty well fed-up with our performance and not a nice feeling to go home with.

Tonight’s performance (Monday) for proper went well, we also had an enthusiastic fairly full audience including the slow hand clap phantom of last year, except this time I spotted him in the front row. When we came to the finale and everyone started clapping in time with the music, so did he, but his was so loud it almost sounded as if he was leading the clapping. This time we all went home as happy bunnies feel that we had achieved something and ready for it all again tomorrow night.

• Like 2

IMG_0616c_zps212d8dbd.jpg

Finally a ballet free day, well almost. I’ve done three shows at the Angles Theatre this week and we get a break today (Thursday) then its three more to the weekend and then we are done. However I was back down my local hall this morning practicing for next weeks LAB Summer Intensive at RBS. Although the hall doesn’t have mirrors or a sprung floor, its good smooth slippy floor with lots of space to rehearse, bigger than most stages and its not too expensive. As illustrated in the picture above.

The LAB corps de ballet piece will be from Don Quixote and the dream scene, I will not know until we get there what solo scenes we many be doing, unless bits are connected with this scene which is quite long. I'm not sure if our version will be based on this but this is what I'm using as a basic model, see link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2fk1umQZpKI

I also have the first part of the LAB workshop on Gamazatti variation from Le Corsaire Tuesday evening. With the second and final part the following week. As most schools are on break that week I will be going up to the highlands of bonny Scotland and do class with Ballet West in Taynuit.

All finished with the Angles Theatre tonight, it was the sixth public paying show this week with good attendance all week, Tuesday according to some was a sell out as was Friday and Saturday evening with a few, with the front row extended to the stage. Saturdays performance of adult ballet see our numbers drop by two but it didn’t seem to have any adverse effect, stage position by this time I think was well understood.

A couple of the girls voiced their disappointment that the DVD was of photos and not a video recording of their dance. I’m hoping that this may have set the seed for change, although I may not be there in the future. That class is now on break until September, however I will be starting a performance course with City Academy resulting in two performances at Christmas at Saddler's Well. So I had never intended to go back this year, however if the City class turns into a regular ballet company like LAB then I will join it.

All though I like the Angles Theatre ballet class during the months of rehearsals, the down side for me is, we are not dancing to one of the classic’s where my real passion for ballet lye’s. However I did suggest the Friends Dance from Giselle before it was decided what we were doing, but it just didn’t happen. Thankfully the Lincoln has finally gone over to a piece from one of the classics (Coppelia) for its next show.

Still a busy weekend for me, getting packed up for LAB first Summer Intensive at RBS (6 days), somehow I’m trying to squeeze two tutus into my suitcase, one for the corps de ballet piece and the other for solo’s as I don’t know what they are as yet.

Hi Lin

I left a posdt last night about the LAB Intensive but I only have 30 minutes free access per day from the Travel Lodge im staying at in Farringdon. THere is alot more packed into this course than we did last year. However numbers have been limited agaist the Spring Intensive of over 70, we have a total of 35 dancers about 5 are guys, three of them I know from my LAB company class at RAS and two are frI also know from classes at ENB.

So fare we have done two pieces from the Barcelona scene, anoth from a re choreographed version of the dream scene (First piece of music) and then another general enchainement that was intended for the pointe class, but many of us attend it on demi.

In addition to that Tuesday evening was my first LAB SHORTS Workshop on the solo I posted earlier on Le Corsaire. That was fantastic and we covered the full sequence in week one and danced it through several times. It is very slightly different from the video but not much, next week we are polishing and then performing solo (one at a time) not sure if everyone will want to do that.

At the moment my ankles are quite sore, but only to be expected, but I think Im coming down with a cold as Ive a developing sore throwt, I bought some strepsils to see if they are effective. Tomorrow (Thursday) we are to start on the solo's I think they may only be two, by what I have heard its highly likely one will be the Entrance of Kitri (here's hoping). I did take a Kitri Tutu with me, Ive left it in RBS with my white sparkly one, I have a feeling it wont be welcome so its unlikely I shall get to wear it. I will take a view on the day.

Look after yourself Michelle doing the Short on top of the intensive day is a lot of dancing and you've another four days to go yet!! Don't get injured and have to be out for months like me!!

I still haven't done my first class back yet as still working on strengthening exercises and until I can do at least 12 rises on the right foot without it hurting and done some work on the wobble board ( next week) advised to wait just a little longer. Today in the Pilates rehabilitation room I was pushing quite a heavy bar up and down (while lying down) with feet in different positions on the barre and had no pain at all which is great news and I'm definitely getting much further in the demi plié before it pulls a bit which means jumping is still another month away I think but in general the foot is much stronger and am taking the weight on the right leg on flat foot without any problems. My target class now is on July 31st but may be back in my regular Saturday class by next week.......I know the teacher really well there and she will be happy for me to accommodate as appropriate on the day.

• Like 3

Hi Lin

My feet are holding up far better than I expected, our first solo is the Entrance of Kitri which Im over the moon with and is hasnt been modified too much. We danced it the first time twoday. Basically we have two groups who train seperately, Im in Group A, Kitri has two logical parts we have the first part with the first three Grand Jete in. Our group is then sub divided into three sub groups. The first dances the first two thirds, the second the remaining third, and my group that goes last deoes the first two thirds again (Two grand jete's) where the third would normally come in most of the group complete the next bit which is similare to the last third except the grand jete has been substituted for a pas de chat and of course a siutatable ending added.

One little highlight of the day, we were taken up to the 5th floor to see the sky bridge, I guess a sacred place for ballet dancers. We are learning a new solo Friday but that may not be incorperated in our performance. Its becomming difficult to keep each enchainement from compromising another. I had difficulty today between two that had simularities. I guess on the night it will be right but I think this is the hardest Intensive Tom has done, as the content of Swan Lake last year had alot of repition in its steps, Don Q is quite different, far more challenging.

Today things are starting to take shape, we are now in the Lindon Studio Theatre with all the audience seating in place, curtains appropriately positioned for the show. Not only have we been practicing and polishing individual enchainements, we have been trying to integrate them seamlessly into our show piece. As a lot of Don Q in Act1 is portraying in a market place it allows different groups to appear to mill about chatting and making gestures with their fans allowing them to enter the stage while the previous group is still performing and arrive in position just as the other group ends.

There is still a lot of polishing to be done as integration has made it necessary to make small changes to the choreography and we are still getting the odd person turning the wrong way or going on the wrong leg, or even missing a step, me included. Although we were down for additional solo’s today it was decided to clean what we had which was a lot to keep fresh in our heads and muscle memory.

Today hasn’t been without its casualties, the ice pack have been our, mainly painful Achilles. As far as I’m aware no one has dropped out with injury yet, but it is intensive and a day longer too this year. I was starting to have discomfort on the bottom of my right heal but that seems to have passed off, however I do have some discomfort at the top of my right leg, almost as if it’s the muscles responsible for turn out. This has only come on this afternoon, not sure why, but we have been doing lots of grand jete’s and high developee’s and also floor barre stretching this morning, hopefully this will have subsided by morning.

• Like 1

Hope today's "show" goes well on the Intensive Michelle sorry can't be there to watch this time but will definitely be able to watch the August one so look forward to this.

At the beginning of the week I emailed the ENB about next Saturdays workshop to say I have withdrawn etc but haven't heard anything from them. I do hope they can offer my place to someone else.

If anyone else here was told this workshop is full (on Coppelia at the Coliseum next Saturday 9.30-12.30) then do contact ENB in case other places have become available as well.

Part of this is to watch company class as well so wish I was fit enough to attend.....however am thinking of becoming a Friend of ENB instead of RB when this runs out as Ive never got to watch the RB company class in the last five years of membership (because of the hierarchy situation with Friends there) so think its time to give ENB a chance!!

Hope I can get to do one of their workshops next year at any rate.

• Like 1

Today there was to have been a dance festival in Sheffield called "Chance to Dance". Many if not all the dance schools and dance groups in Sheffield were to take part.   Hype Dance Co had prepared a splendid programme which they were to dance in The Peace Gardens, The Moor and Tudor Square. I had taken part in the rehearsals for Sugar Plum Fairy and Stay with Me so I knew that they would be good. The women in Sugar Plum were to wear black tutus and those in Stay by Me red tango dresses. The solitary male in Stay by Me had to procure his own red sleeveless t-shirt.

Sadly Chance to Dance had to be cancelled because the weather in Sheffield was like the storm scene in Fille mal gardee only worse. I felt so sorry for the teachers and dancers who had worked so hard not to mention the organizers who must be bitterly disappointed.  But there was nothing for it. You have heard of raining cats and dogs. Well today it was raining tigers and wolves.

To cheer them up I invited my classmates and teacher to lunch by twitter but only one of them made it. I had also invited one of my neighbours and her little boy plus a Chinese friend who lives in  Sheffield to see the show.  Even though there was no ballet we were determined to have a good time. We had a very convivial meal of dim sum and then visited the Millennium Galleries and Winter Gardens. Both are worth seeing if you are ever in Sheffield.

I had come to Sheffield to reciprocate the support that Skydancer had given me 3 weeks earlier when I danced in Northern Ballet Academy's end of year show. She was to dance Sugar Plum and Filthy Gorgeous. I do hope she and all my other friends at Hype get a chance to perform soon.

• Like 1