Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Sorry you have had bad news Vetty. I heard of another elmhurst 'no' for someone I thought was certain to get finals. Good that they get the outcomes out so quickly. My dd in January elmhurst audition so watching from the sidelines somewhat at the mo'.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know how I can get in contact with enbs? I sent my application form almost 2 weeks ago and have still not heard a reply and am worried it got lost in the post. have looked on the website but can't seem to find an email address anywhere

Spoke to Claire from ENBS just now and she was very helpful, checked the database and they haven't received my forms so the must have got lost in the post! glad I rung now

• 2 weeks later...

My dd doing the February audition.  She is in Central Associate scheme and said there are quite a few from associates auditioining in December so don't be put off if there seem to be a cluster of girls who seem to know each other! 

A lot of the students in my daughters year did not come from vocational schools, however they where Royal Ballet senior associates. If you have had good training and have the right physique as well as musicality then you stand just as much chance as everyone else, good luck its a fab school.

No offence and I mean this sincerely. If a family can't afford much more than ballet classes, how will they be able to afford vocational schools? Even with funding or student loans, it STILL costs a fortune. Also as I said if a student has the correct attributes for ballet, then they stand an equal chance. How many dance schools in this day and age still use the backs of chairs? Dance is a business, therefore the business owner should at least invest in dance bars don't you think? Dance training costs an absolute fortune.

• Like 3

No offence and I mean this sincerely. If a family can't afford much more than ballet classes, how will they be able to afford vocational schools? Even with funding or student loans, it STILL costs a fortune. Also as I said if a student has the correct attributes for ballet, then they stand an equal chance. How many dance schools in this day and age still use the backs of chairs? Dance is a business, therefore the business owner should at least invest in dance bars don't you think? Dance training costs an absolute fortune.

I and some of my peers had significant financial help from vocational schools. Yes, it was still a massive struggle for the parents (dance equipment etc).  I understand that at Upper school level, schools are less likely to accept the raw talents who have been hanging off the back of chairs and not attending associate programs. For me dance is not a business, I teach various ages and levels from differing socio economic backgrounds (I do not on a studio) and I would prefer to keep prices low and offer a chance to dance wherever possible. Most dance teachers I know are freelance and live on a very precarious wage with no possibility of investing money. Some of my kids do still use the backs of chairs. I offer free classes to those who show effort and potential. If someone considers themselves poor should they just stay indoors and not aspire to anything ? I'm afraid I've perhaps not been very eloquent with this comment, but to be honest I'm in a state of shock.

• Like 4

Right I DO NOT have the attitude that students who cannot afford to dance shoud not go to vocational schools. I pointed out that all students if they have the correct attributes stand the same chance as everyone else. If I had my way then all students if they where talented enough would get equal chances and financial cost would be met by the government.. I myself would have loved to learn to play the piano, I was always able to sing and was chosen to sing at lots of choirs, sadly my parents were unable to afford me piano lessons or singing lessons. My sister was a promosing gyymnast and from local classes was invited to join the squad, again extra costs meant my parents couldnt afford to let her go. I was TRYING to point out that even when a student gets to vocational school there are still all the hidden costs. Point shoes alone £40 a pop every three weeks, accomodation top ups and food, the cost is enormous.

The question asked do all students during audition get an equal crack of the whip, my answer along with my best wishes of good luck was yes. So again dance10 I certainly do not have the attitude you suggest and just incase you take offence to any other of my comments, perhaps I will not bother to respond to your enquiries, you have actually offended me.

• Like 1

Oh dear, thought that would be the case about royal associates .....seems so unfair though. There are some lovely dancers out there whose parents just cannot afford to even consider associate schemes :(

There are bursaries for associate schemes out there if you ask around !

• Like 3

I of course did not mean to offend you tulip. My daughter is taught holding the back of a chair in a local village hall. I am however very proud that she is a very caring, kind individual that loves to dance and cherishes every opportunity to do so and never takes for granted what little I can offer her. Good luck to everyone at these auditions, whatever walk of life.

But you did accuse me of having the attitude that poor children should not be allowed to go to vocational schools dancing10. Most people who know me on this forum know that I would never suggest this. If I wasn't so offended by your response, I would have just let you comment lay.

• Like 1