Anna C

Questions about Upper School auditions

1,350 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Flora said:

Looking around at ENBS/RBS finals this year it certainly felt you need to be pretty tall ideally, long legs, flexible and, I would say, very very thin. DD's view is body shape, feet and height count for a lot more than natural dancer quality/musicality or stage presence when it comes to US auditions.  

I would hope that ALL the dancers chosen for RBS/ENBS finals (along with the other ballet schools) were selected because of their natural dance ability, musicality and stage presence. With the addition of good clean technique and facility. I very much doubt any dancer would make it to finals without those essential attributes.

As there are only a small number of places, physical attributes are bound to play a significant part in narrowing down the candidates, along with potential for employment.

It would seem that the top classical companies all have a common desire for a certain aesthetic which on the whole includes a lean but strong body, long limbs and good feet (plus others I expect). I'm not sure height (apart from extreme either way) is such a big issue, the RB corps has a large range in heights.

3 people like this

6 hours ago, sarahw said:

Thanks all. Just don't want to apply if no chance at all.......

Perhaps your dd could attend the audition workshop herself - then you can form your own opinion 'from the horses mouth'? My dd thought it was a very interesting day and useful experience.

2 people like this

That's a good idea mnemo - when is it roughly? 

They usually run one in October half term but also did one right at the beginning of January this year. 

The February intensive is good as well so I'm told.

Yes we did the Oct half term one. Nothing for next year yet, but keep an eye on the 'Short Courses' tab.

On 17/04/2017 at 13:44, Flora said:

Looking around at ENBS/RBS finals this year it certainly felt you need to be pretty tall ideally, long legs, flexible and, I would say, very very thin. DD's view is body shape, feet and height count for a lot more than natural dancer quality/musicality or stage presence when it comes to US auditions.  

I viewed a First Year US class at RBS before Easter, it was part of the pupils B Tech assessments, using both contemporary and classical dance that they had choreographed in small groups.  The pupils were a range of heights and body shapes.  Not particularly leggy or skinny which did pleasantly surprise me.  They were all immaculate dancers technically, especially in the contemporary that we saw the most of and all had a lovely stage presence.  

I would encouranpge everyone not to put too much store by rumours of height and weight requirements and just go in there and go for it.  You might just have what they're looking for despite being 5'1" or 5'9"

5 people like this

I'm sure most dancers are not put off and apply even if they feel the chances are massively remote because you just want to know for sure if you are of interest or not - and that certainly keeps RBS' P and L nice and healthy. You can't blame RBS for encouraging everyone to apply. It wasn't until DD got to finals that I really understood how remote the chances were: the main application process turned out 30 odd finalists and I think they took 2 non-UK candidates in the end. 

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Flora said:

I'm sure most dancers are not put off and apply even if they feel the chances are massively remote because you just want to know for sure if you are of interest or not - and that certainly keeps RBS' P and L nice and healthy. You can't blame RBS for encouraging everyone to apply. It wasn't until DD got to finals that I really understood how remote the chances were: the main application process turned out 30 odd finalists and I think they took 2 non-UK candidates in the end. 

So out of the 30 or so finalists through the normal audition rounds they only took 2 people and they were not from the UK?? 

Which I guess means the only UK people they took were from White Lodge and the rest were international competition winners who were given places outside of audition rounds, and then two other non uk students from the auditions?

Wow.

1 person likes this

Yes Keepdancing. It might have been three places ultimately, all to non-UK. All the "no" candidates were told and came out of finals at the same time. Those who were retained were just a few and included perhaps one UK dancer. Only international candidates were offered a place in the end. Unlike last year finals didn't include WL who were auditioned separately.  

Ds was offered a scholarship to Tring yesterday. In complete shock!!!!!

23 people like this

Congratulations! FA fabulous news - a real achievement. ...

1 person likes this

Congratulations to your DS Gollyrox.

We gave up my DD's scholarship over Easter so although we will never know for sure, it gives me a warm feeling thinking it could have been awarded to another forum members DC 😃

6 people like this

6 hours ago, Gollyrox said:

That's amazing news! 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Gollyrox said:

What a great result !! Many congratulations..

1 person likes this

Congratulations GollyRox. Great news.

Regarding the Funding mix up, does anyone know whether those starting in lower sixth this year at Tring will remain on MDS for years 2 & 3 or will it refer back to DaDa ?

Does anyone know what the fees at Urdang are for the diploma course and what you need to do at audition (solos, sing, etc)? I can't find anything on the website about either. Thanks

I think that the audition process at Urdang is exactly the same for the degree and the diploma - depending on the outcome you are offered degree, shortlist degree/diploma or diploma. My friends dd applied a few years ago on strict understanding that she could only go if she got a place on the degree course because of funding arrangements.

As DD is 16 is would be the diploma, but do they have to do a solo, sing?? Their website gives limited information on this, and fees which is bizarre... how can you apply to a course if you don't know how much it will cost?!

1 hour ago, Dancermum said:

As DD is 16 is would be the diploma, but do they have to do a solo, sing?? Their website gives limited information on this, and fees which is bizarre... how can you apply to a course if you don't know how much it will cost?!

They need to prepare 2 songs from musicals. If they are good dancers they will not need an amazing voice but show potential. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Dancermum said:

Do you mean the 6th Form entry onto level 3 diploma? There are no fees for this. My original answer was in respect of the high level diploma for 18 + years. For the 18+ entry you  need 2 songs, a monologue and to do a jazz and a ballet class. I agree with you that entry requirements for the 6th form are not clear, so I would be tempted to contact them.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The Level 6 Trinity Diploma is open to ages 16 plus in line with other DaDa funded courses. 

I wouid suggest contacting the college to ask about fees as they don't appear to publish them. 

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
2 people like this

Dancermum have u looked at Notpushymum forum ? Prob get answers there . Think at all the MT schools it's ballet jazz singing and acting type auditions but my DD is at MT sch and it was the dancing that got her place ! She had never sang or acted but now loves it. I would ring them I'm sure they would be happy to help .

2 people like this

Hi Everyone, my daughter is on the reserve list for Dada for Laine for Diploma and just wondered if anyone on here knew of anyone not taking a Laine dada in favour of going to another school. She was devastated when we found out yesterday and I just wanted to see if it was realistic that she still stood a chance? Thanks in advance

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Dancemaddad said:

Hi Everyone, my daughter is on the reserve list for Dada for Laine for Diploma and just wondered if anyone on here knew of anyone not taking a Laine dada in favour of going to another school. She was devastated when we found out yesterday and I just wanted to see if it was realistic that she still stood a chance? Thanks in advance

I think there is still movement as DaDA doesn't work for everyone.

My boy was offered full scholarship for Laine and his friend offered DaDA  which was no good for him.. We turned down the scholarship, his friend was invited to funding audition and was offered scholarship so that released a DaDA. That's just from the one school so could be happening all over .I think lots of posters have said the same thing re movement.

Good luck!

2 people like this

Yes, I think there will be movement on the waiting lists for MT schools and colleges for quite a few more weeks - some might have had more than one offer and won't have made a decision yet.

1 person likes this

Thanks for your response w445403 that is encouraging do you know if it was recently that the dada was turned down? Just wondered if it would have already been taken into account before the waiting list was released? Thanks 

A few years ago I had a pupil with three offers, degree course and two dada. I seem to remember there was a central body administering dadas and May was when she had to make a decision. She chose one of the dadas which of course released a dada for someone and a place on a degree course (different institution) for someone else.

1 person likes this

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:34, Dancemaddad said:

Thanks for your response w445403 that is encouraging do you know if it was recently that the dada was turned down? Just wondered if it would have already been taken into account before the waiting list was released? Thanks 

it was about 2 weeks ago I think. Hope things work out.

1 person likes this