Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Before the end of term all year 10 parents were invited to a meeting at dd's current school to discuss imminent upper school/vocational college auditions.

In dd's year (Year 10 about to go into Year 11) everyone has achieved RAD Intermediate Ballet, some have achieved ISTD Intermediate Tap, some Intermediate Modern and some have achieved Advanced 1 ballet.

My dd has had to overcome some injury etc issues and she felt she was behind but we were told that having already achieved Intermediate she was actually ahead in what level the school would expect external candidates to be working at.  The implication was that they would expect most external auditionees to be working at or have achieved Intermediate by the end of Year 11 although they would expect most of their own students to be working at or have achieved Advanced 1.

Now that's only one conversation in one school, all will be different but all schools will be looking for trainability and potential.  Many, many students will not have done grades at all for various reasons.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Very sorry to interrupt, but are you expected to wear a belt to upper school auditions? I know it is approved for lower school (why is that?)

RBS seem to like it, apparently it shows whether your hips are square and you are standing level/using yourself properly. I don't remember other schools asking for candidates to wear one in their auditions.

8 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Very sorry to interrupt, but are you expected to wear a belt to upper school auditions? I know it is approved for lower school (why is that?)

My DD always wears a belt and never found one to fit either! Always requires a needle. cotton and pair of scissors.

She always wears one for Class, exams and SS and now Grade 7/Intermediate RAD. I wasn't too sure about auditions so I was pleased you asked the question ;)

Edited by balletbean

When my students audition we see whether the leotard needs a belt. Some leotards just look nicer with a belt, others mainly the low backed ones or ones with seam detailing look too busy with a belt as well. I think it's personal choice. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Would anyone kindly be able to send me the Central audition photos please. I noted them all down from last years forms in preparation and now I need them as DD photos are being taken on Sunday I can't understand my short hand for one of them, and neither can DD, I've written " second position on full pointe " !!  Central website said yesterday application forms would be available today, but it's now saying 18/9. 

Thanks in Advance

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Loulou said:

Hi

Would anyone kindly be able to send me the Central audition photos please. I noted them all down from last years forms in preparation and now I need them as DD photos are being taken on Sunday I can't understand my short hand for one of them, and neither can DD, I've written " second position on full pointe " !!  Central website said yesterday application forms would be available today, but it's now saying 18/9. 

Thanks in Advance

Here's the link to the 2015 application form - can't imagine photo requirements have changed that much since then (and look familiar from our audition rounds last year.) list of photos on p2. 

Best of luck! 

http://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/documents/Senior School Application 2015-16.pdf

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 16:41, Loulou said:

Hi

Thanks in Advance

Adding on to your question. Any news about how Central are to carry out the move to their new premises. All I've seen is 2018/2019. How will that work with accommodation for the pupils? As it has been reported Herbal Hill is not really practical location to stay once the school moves and if this is mid term I'm a tad confused what will happen. Does anyone have any more info. Thanks 

19 hours ago, Loulou said:

At the Easter school they told us the walk from their current location and to the new one is roughly the same from liberty plaza where most of them live. No idea if this is accurate. 

Thank you, having just googled the distances they are similar distance, about 45 mins walk from Liberty to old and same again to new address. Seems quite a hike for pupils after a long day in the studio and that's on a dry day!  

However, the distance between the old and new school building is just 26 min walk, due south across the bridge. 

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Thank you, having just googled the distances they are similar distance, about 45 mins walk from Liberty to old and same again to new address. Seems quite a hike for pupils after a long day in the studio and that's on a dry day!  

The bus is free with a Zip Oyster card, tube half price I think.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

The bus is free with a Zip Oyster card, tube half price I think.

Thank you, I didn't know that.

The Tube doesn't look like a good option (just looking at the underground map) but then I'm no expert on the city public transport. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 18:50, balletbean said:

Thank you, I didn't know that.

The Tube doesn't look like a good option (just looking at the underground map) but then I'm no expert on the city public transport. ;) 

people get used  to zig zag journeys on the tube  , if the  interchanges are cross platform or  up/ down one flight of stairs / escalators  it can still be quick  as the speed of the tube train is considerably  greater than that of a  bus in  traffic  meaning  the overall velocity  / 'course made good'   is competitive ... 

Yup, I would have gone for age as of Sept 2018, as that's the entry date they are applying for. 

Do they really rely on references at such a early stage of the procedure? Not keen that Head Teacher is made aware of plans, post 16 so early on. 

My DD has had to give an academic reference for Central and RCS . Her school are aware of her plans due to missing school for dance related activities and I wanted them to know it wasn’t just a hobby she was missing school for. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Loulou said:

My DD has had to give an academic reference for Central and RCS . Her school are aware of her plans due to missing school for dance related activities and I wanted them to know it wasn’t just a hobby she was missing school for. 

Same here - dd’s school is aware of her plans and the extra-curricular demands involved and are therefore more understanding when her homework is late or she has to miss after school events. Also, I have already made them aware that she will probably need to miss some school days this year to attend auditions. Haven’t gotten around to applications and references yet - that’s a job for half term. We do have the photos ready though :) 

• Like 2

DD went through this last year. Her academic school know within the first few weeks of Year 11 that we were looking elsewhere. It was made easier because if she had chosen to do A levels two of the ones she wanted to do they didn't offer ( dance and English Language!) 

They were fully supportive and gave her all the time off she needed, all the staff were informed and kept up to date. It made it much easier even though some of the staff didn't approve they still helped her. Results day was the most interesting because she got straight A/A* was one top in her year but isn't doing A levels, some of the staff simply blanked her .......

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Loulou said:

We are struggling with the request for references mainly because of the close knit school and word getting out about her auditioning. She just doesn't want the added pressure from others asking her about the upcoming events then how she has done and then how to answer if the outcome wasn't as hoped. Keeping quiet was her choice. Having to ask for references put an end to that private element. Just wondering how others have overcome this issue.   

• Like 1

Last year we found that the academic school DD attended was very accommodating and kept our request for a reference completely confidential, sending it directly to the person who had requested it.  It was a similar experience with the reference we requested from the dance school.

However, we found that as soon as school and/or dance lessons were missed (a necessary part of auditioning from where we live) the other students soon began to talk!  It's just part of spending so much time together for so many years.  I think it would be impossible not to tell your friends what you were doing if they ask you.  On the whole, people are genuinely interested in what others are doing and want them to succeed, and they are understanding and sympathetic if things do not work out as you had hoped.

I think the whole auditioning process is extremely useful in helping our DC to grow up and become more independent, hopefully before they leave home to start training vocationally.

• Like 5