Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Please ask questions about Upper School/6th Form auditions in this thread.

Do also make use of the "search" facility (top right of the forum pages) in case your question has been asked before. :-)

I apologise for not tagging all Upper Schools but tags are limited in number. If anyone has questions or info about auditions at schools not listed, please do post anyway.

Thanks,

Spanner

• Like 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We printed the central application form today and ours came off the printer the same.My daughter tried to alter it but couldn't. I wonder when the ENB forms and dates will come out ?

Sorry that happened to you as well, but I am a bit relieved that it wasn't just me  ;)

• Like 2

Well since it's so handy, I have a question or 2.

It's regarding RBS. I think I have a handle on the years and how they equate to ours at home(Canada). At 16, my dd would be equivalent to first year of 6th form?

She graduates in June of 2015. In their final year, her class will be auditiong for corps (for the very fortunate), apprentices (also fortunate) but most will look for a one year post secondary program or final year program at other schools - usually linked to a company or country they hope to pursue employment in.

SOOOO... the question is; How often do students apply for and are accepted into just the 3rd year of RBS upper school?

She is aware of the competition and the extreme long shot it would be but she is determined to audition. I am trying to get some background info over the next year so as to be prepared. (And silently I pray she gets an apprenticeship closer to home).

• Like 1

I genuinely didn't realise there was a third year to RBS upper school.....I assumed it was just two.....sort of equivalent of sixth form.

Unless they start from 15-16 as first year 16-17 as second and 17-18 as third??

Perhaps they will allow some students who are a bit older and have finished traditional sixth form at 18 to do that final year when they are 18-19 I don't know......so sorry this is not that helpful.....but others may know better I was just surprised about this "third" year.

Students can audition for any of the third years at the schools (usually known as "graduate" years). I don't specifically know the answer to your question of how many get into RBS, but there are often a few new ones who turn up! However I think they are often students who have won things like a prize at the Prix de Lausanne or other big comps (friend in NZ told me about a comp in Australia where someone was "spotted"and offered a place. So get entering big competitions ;-)

There's no harm in trying - audition and see what happens - just remember that only a very few get picked!

• Like 1

RBS upper school application form has age range 16 -18 years, age as of end August 2014. So guess you just follow the usual application process for 6.3.

Do think as Julie says though that most are offered a place for this year having been spotted at competitions or at their current school's end of year shows etc.

I guess you audition as normal for any of the ballet schools.  I am sure that somewhere on the forms I have read that an applicants background will be taken into consideration along with a phrase along the lines "in some cases it may be deemed suitable for a student to join the 2nd or 3rd year" - its not a quote but my recollection of what I read.

Alternatively your DD could apply for the graduate programme at Northern Ballet or Ballet Theatre Uk that may be more akin with the Canadian options.

Has anyone downloaded the Central form ?

When I printed it, the format is a bit odd and the very last page about ethnicity etc. was superimposed a little - would this be important, or is it just me being a bit rubbish on the computer ?

Its awful isnt it - I did manage to use my IT skills and make it readable and presentable - didn't think the format was particularly friendly to be honest, especially about familiarising yourself with the panel etc!

• Like 2

As I understand it there are three years in all the Upper Schools, Royal, ENB, Elmhurst, Central, etc.  Central and Rambert particularly, as they are degree courses.

Obviously some students do not get to third year, as they are assessed every year.

Also, some students do audition and get accepted in second and third year.  I know someone who was taken into third year at Elmhurst.

• Like 1

Thanks balletmadmom that has clarified something for me....that all the schools are offering three year courses and that you can join the course not necessarily at the beginning etc.

thequays I feel a bit like you have no DC's but probably because I never took that final step all those years ago (my dance teacher of then thought the three of us had at least a chance with the Rambert) I am still fascinated with it all and like to see other people's DC's being successful particularly in the field of Dance (among other things of course!)

• Like 1

Purely practical on auditons....

... Soft blocks or canvas pumps for auditions?!! Advice please :) haven't had any experience with soft blocks but just something DD mentioned following summer school .....

.... Solos .... Pre warned is pre armed (!) can anyone say if any schools definitely require a solo for first round auditions ?

I'm sure my list will grow and these 2 might be the least of my worries in a couple of weeks time!!!

Thank you everyone for your patience with "audition newbies" .

• Like 2

Purely practical on auditons....

... Soft blocks or canvas pumps for auditions?!! Advice please :) haven't had any experience with soft blocks but just something DD mentioned following summer school .....

.... Solos .... Pre warned is pre armed (!) can anyone say if any schools definitely require a solo for first round auditions ?

I'm sure my list will grow and these 2 might be the least of my worries in a couple of weeks time!!!

Thank you everyone for your patience with "audition newbies" .

When my DD auditioned for RBS, ENBS and Elmhurst she wore soft blocks and pointe shoes and was not required to perform a solo.  This was for prelims and finals.  Sorry I can't help you with other schools.

• Like 2

And my DD did not wear soft blocks.  I think she wore satin split soles as she would have for ballet exams at her studio.  This was 2 years ago.  Solos - Hammond you do your solo at the 1st audition but it comes after lunch so some will already have been assessed out by this stage.  Tring - the solo was also in the first audition.

• Like 2

audsjcanuck - don't know about RBS but definately know of one person who joined Elmhurst for the final year of sixth form having been taught privately previously and it is definately possible to audition for Central's third year but not quite sure what qualifications would be available in these circumstances. Central's third year usually results in a BA hons degree but as this follows on from the foundation degree of the first two years not sure if this would be available to a newcommer unless they had transferable qualifications. Your best option is probably just to contact any schools you are interested in and ask them directly about your particular circumstances as you have nothing to lose by asking.

• Like 2

Thank You ladies. It's more then a year away so lots of time to get info and such.  DD not concerned about a degree of any sort - just the training! And RBS will be one of many things she will be auditioning for but if its a dream then you have to at least try right?

• Like 4

To clarify: if someone is very keen on Dance especially ballet as a career you can ONLY do this when young!

Although academic qualifications are extremely important these can be attained later at almost any age 20 plus 30 plus 40plus and so on.

I say this within the context of someone being pretty determined that its a dance career they really want.

• Like 3

Re Central's application form, exactly the same happened last year, but thankfully I am very experienced in IT so used my skills to adjust it all.

And re solos, last year my dd def had to do a solo for the first round of Tring auditions and also for Rambert. Although with Rambert, only a selected number of auditionees are asked to perform solos.

• Like 1

No solos were required at RBS, ENB, Elmhurst or Central.

I actually ended up creating a chart/table last year with columns/rows & listed each school, with their audition dates, required photos, what the audition consisted of (ie type of class, solo, physio assess etc) + any other reqs ie GP letter (Rambert asked for this, you had to take with you on the fay). Some people think I am too organised but believe me it helped enormously especially If your dc are auditioning for lots of schools.

• Like 13

Is anyone else's dc having a bit of a confidence crisis? Dd is getting worried that she isn't good enough to get into any upper school, plus coping with the pressure of GCSEs, homework and fitting in her ballet classes and has had a few emotional outbursts already.

Does anyone have any tips on helping her deal with all the pressure - goodness knows how she'll be once auditions start :( Sorry if it's posted in the wrong place. 

Jaylou, just be reassured that all the kids are all going through the same stressful time, and believe me it is stressful. The way we got through it was to say that if you didn't get the school that was right for you , then you could always apply the following year or after A levels. This took the pressure off the situation. The kids can only do their best on the day and it literally is only a moment to shine. I hope a little of what I have said helps, but yes this year is very hard. Good luck.

• Like 2

Am I correct in thinking that ENB does NOT offer academics in the form of A levels? I understand students graduate with a Diploma in Dance which is an education in it's own right, but in terms of actual school classes such as Maths, English etc, it is not an option available? I've searched their website to confirm this but still wasn't 100% sure...

• Like 1