Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

I don't understand why height matters so much... Even companies are more diverse than schools. Shorter girls are (generally) easier to partner, can be put in front row of corps and can dance Cygnets, for example. Taller girls have certain roles too, and can partner the tallest boys easier,mand provided a girl isn't extreme (I don't know, under  4"11 or over 5"11) it should be a bout the dancer, not the person

• Like 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Harwel said:

Hmmm, I'm sure that's a fluid thing as some of the female dancers in ENB are shorter than 5'4''.  Can't see why they would limit the height of their school when their company is so diverse.  There will always be exceptions - some of their boys are really short too, they need shorter girls to dance with. 

I think on the whole, the schools are far more stringent in the demand for physical attributes than the companies.  The repertoire of companies is becoming increasingly more diverse, requiring more diverse dancers.  One size no longer fits all so to speak so surely the schools are considering this?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

I had heard about there being a minimum height. Dd is 5ft 2 and on the reserve list ? She did feel that she was the shortest at finals ! 

Which school did your daughter get on the reserve list for? My daughter is only 5ft 3. 

• Like 1

She is reserve for ENBS, had finals for RBS, declined Central and is staying at Elmhurst. Her brother is at Elmhurst. He was just taller than her at 16 and got a no. Went back a year later, 17 and taller, and got a yes. Since he has been there he has grown 3 more inches ? My children are just late growers unfortunately. Dd will grow next year ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mnemo said:

Yes. In 2015 my dd did the ENB audition workshop. There was a Q&A session afterwards with the school principal and other staff and this question came up. It was indicated they apply minimum and maximum heights for female applicants. I believe 5'4" to 5'7" was the range quoted.

I remember a conversation like this, it could even have been the same event, but I've a feeling they were talking about 'averages' when asked about heights for female dancers rather than stating that these were the min/max.

Looking around at ENBS/RBS finals this year it certainly felt you need to be pretty tall ideally, long legs, flexible and, I would say, very very thin. DD's view is body shape, feet and height count for a lot more than natural dancer quality/musicality or stage presence when it comes to US auditions.  

• Like 1

I suppose that at upper school auditions the top schools can choose students who have all of their own preferred physical qualities and current preferred height and are musical with performance quality. Many students will have reached their final height and body shape at 15 or 16 (although certainly not all, as Cotes Du Rhone has confirmed) so the upper school auditionees have fewer variables than at lower schools.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legseleven said:

I suppose that at upper school auditions the top schools can choose students who have all of their own preferred physical qualities and current preferred height and are musical with performance quality. Many students will have reached their final height and body shape at 15 or 16 (although certainly not all, as Cotes Du Rhone has confirmed) so the upper school auditionees have fewer variables than at lower schools.  

I'm not so sure. Judging by the numbers who are assessed out even at US the schools seem to be often disappointed by their choices when it comes to it. Certainly at RBS...

Edited by Flora

I didn't know they assessed out at US - although I guess it will be no different to LS.

I can see the attraction of long limbs but if the girls are tall as well they must need very tall boys....

Many of the current female RBS dancers don't seem that tall....

2 hours ago, Flora said:

Looking around at ENBS/RBS finals this year it certainly felt you need to be pretty tall ideally, long legs, flexible and, I would say, very very thin. DD's view is body shape, feet and height count for a lot more than natural dancer quality/musicality or stage presence when it comes to US auditions.  

I would hope that ALL the dancers chosen for RBS/ENBS finals (along with the other ballet schools) were selected because of their natural dance ability, musicality and stage presence. With the addition of good clean technique and facility. I very much doubt any dancer would make it to finals without those essential attributes.

As there are only a small number of places, physical attributes are bound to play a significant part in narrowing down the candidates, along with potential for employment.

It would seem that the top classical companies all have a common desire for a certain aesthetic which on the whole includes a lean but strong body, long limbs and good feet (plus others I expect). I'm not sure height (apart from extreme either way) is such a big issue, the RB corps has a large range in heights.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sarahw said:

Thanks all. Just don't want to apply if no chance at all.......

Perhaps your dd could attend the audition workshop herself - then you can form your own opinion 'from the horses mouth'? My dd thought it was a very interesting day and useful experience.

On 17/04/2017 at 13:44, Flora said:

I viewed a First Year US class at RBS before Easter, it was part of the pupils B Tech assessments, using both contemporary and classical dance that they had choreographed in small groups.  The pupils were a range of heights and body shapes.  Not particularly leggy or skinny which did pleasantly surprise me.  They were all immaculate dancers technically, especially in the contemporary that we saw the most of and all had a lovely stage presence.  

I would encouranpge everyone not to put too much store by rumours of height and weight requirements and just go in there and go for it.  You might just have what they're looking for despite being 5'1" or 5'9"

• Like 5

I'm sure most dancers are not put off and apply even if they feel the chances are massively remote because you just want to know for sure if you are of interest or not - and that certainly keeps RBS' P and L nice and healthy. You can't blame RBS for encouraging everyone to apply. It wasn't until DD got to finals that I really understood how remote the chances were: the main application process turned out 30 odd finalists and I think they took 2 non-UK candidates in the end. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Flora said:

I'm sure most dancers are not put off and apply even if they feel the chances are massively remote because you just want to know for sure if you are of interest or not - and that certainly keeps RBS' P and L nice and healthy. You can't blame RBS for encouraging everyone to apply. It wasn't until DD got to finals that I really understood how remote the chances were: the main application process turned out 30 odd finalists and I think they took 2 non-UK candidates in the end. 

So out of the 30 or so finalists through the normal audition rounds they only took 2 people and they were not from the UK?? 

Which I guess means the only UK people they took were from White Lodge and the rest were international competition winners who were given places outside of audition rounds, and then two other non uk students from the auditions?

Wow.

• Like 1

Yes Keepdancing. It might have been three places ultimately, all to non-UK. All the "no" candidates were told and came out of finals at the same time. Those who were retained were just a few and included perhaps one UK dancer. Only international candidates were offered a place in the end. Unlike last year finals didn't include WL who were auditioned separately.  

10 hours ago, Gollyrox said:

Ds was offered a scholarship to Tring yesterday. In complete shock!!!!!

What a great result !! Many congratulations..

Congratulations GollyRox. Great news.

Regarding the Funding mix up, does anyone know whether those starting in lower sixth this year at Tring will remain on MDS for years 2 & 3 or will it refer back to DaDa ?

I think that the audition process at Urdang is exactly the same for the degree and the diploma - depending on the outcome you are offered degree, shortlist degree/diploma or diploma. My friends dd applied a few years ago on strict understanding that she could only go if she got a place on the degree course because of funding arrangements.

As DD is 16 is would be the diploma, but do they have to do a solo, sing?? Their website gives limited information on this, and fees which is bizarre... how can you apply to a course if you don't know how much it will cost?!

1 hour ago, Dancermum said:

As DD is 16 is would be the diploma, but do they have to do a solo, sing?? Their website gives limited information on this, and fees which is bizarre... how can you apply to a course if you don't know how much it will cost?!

They need to prepare 2 songs from musicals. If they are good dancers they will not need an amazing voice but show potential. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancermum said:

Do you mean the 6th Form entry onto level 3 diploma? There are no fees for this. My original answer was in respect of the high level diploma for 18 + years. For the 18+ entry you  need 2 songs, a monologue and to do a jazz and a ballet class. I agree with you that entry requirements for the 6th form are not clear, so I would be tempted to contact them.