Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

There were 18 girls in groups 1 and 2 today and 17 in group 3 so 54 in total although I can't remember if this included the current yr 11's or not. The numbers in each group were on a schedule of the day that was left on the registration tables and detailed how many from RBS, how many from Elmhurst and then all others.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my audition there were 17 of us and at least 10 already from full time vocational schools: 2 from white lodge, 4 from elmhurst, 3 from tring and 1 from the vienna state school!! Very high standard and not expecting anything at all, panel were pretty clear about who they wanted!

In my audition there were 17 of us and at least 10 already from full time vocational schools: 2 from white lodge, 4 from elmhurst, 3 from tring and 1 from the vienna state school!! Very high standard and not expecting anything at all, panel were pretty clear about who they wanted!

How did they make it clear who they wanted BadBallerina? Doesn't sound very professional of them, I will ask my DD what she thought as I think she may have been in with you.

Apologies for my poor counting- I just glanced at the lists, but obviously should have gone to spec savers! Dd was in a different group to bad ballerina, but said the opposite - she felt that the panel gave everyone fair and equal attention. She also felt the standard was very high, and quite a few international students in her group too, so no expectations, but a very enjoyable day.

• Like 2

There was some fairly obvious staring and pointing but given there were so many members on the panel, everyone must indeed have been looked at. It wasn't particularly unfair but I agree that the standard was very very high and I know I was one of the weakest in my group and I'm certainly not expecting anything from it but it was a good experience and I think, an achievement even to get finals given that there were probably less than 15 non-vocational UK girls there! :)

Any advise for the next step for a devastated 16 year old non vocational DD who has just received a no from Elmhurst, the only final audition she had for upper school. We only applied for RBS, ENB, Central and Elmhurst. Her dance teacher really believes she is good enough to make it in the ballet world and she was an Elmhurst associate. Advise on whether  anyone gets in at 17, where the best places to try are etc would be greatly appreciated. She really wants to do classical rather than contemporary.

Hi Cantref,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I went through the same thing last year. I auditioned for Royal, Central, and ENB but did not get finals for all three. I had just moved to London so I was quite lost at the audition. This year, I train at a school in London, but the teachers are great and I have learned a lot. I think she needs to find a place where she can dance for now and try again next year. I think it is possible. Also, it may help to look at schools abroad if you as parents are okay with that. It could be something other than her technique such as height or flexibility in a certain area. I am very very petit and the school's in the U.K. and Europe as a whole do not appreciate my height. Therefore, I've tried seeking out to schools in the US. Most schools abroad have not yet closed their applications so she still has a chance! You can always DM me as well! Sorry if this was unhelpful! Wishing the best of luck for your daughter!?

• Like 1

According to the ballet west website, they are still auditioning? I believe KSD in Warrington also have places available. 

I would contact both and ask about late auditions. May also be worth contacting northern ballet school.

Have you spoken to Elmhurst for feedback? 

• Like 2

I'm so sorry Cantref - it's so distressing to be in that situation. Your dd did very well as non vocational to get Elmhurst finals.

What does your teacher think? KS Dance and Ballet West would be good places to talk to - they select very much on an individual basis and may be ideal for your dd. Both have excellent reputations and have fully accredited courses.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cantref said:

Any advise for the next step for a devastated 16 year old non vocational DD who has just received a no from Elmhurst, the only final audition she had for upper school. We only applied for RBS, ENB, Central and Elmhurst. Her dance teacher really believes she is good enough to make it in the ballet world and she was an Elmhurst associate. Advise on whether  anyone gets in at 17, where the best places to try are etc would be greatly appreciated. She really wants to do classical rather than contemporary.

My ds is in the same situation after a no from elmhurst and no funding offered at Tring. If anyone can recommend any foundation courses that are still taking applications I would be very grateful. 

• Like 1

I would still try Tring . An ex pupil of mine has got funding . 

It's the old adage of

if you try you might ,

if you don't , you won't .

what about Royal Conservatoire of Scotland ?

hope it all works out for you .

• Like 1

I would agree with the suggestions above to look at Ballet West. They had 2 finalists (out of 5) in the ballet section of BBC young dancer, and they were great ambassadors for the school. The female dancer in particular was fabulous. My dd is spending 2 weeks there this summer with a view to it being one of the schools she applies to for 2018 entry. 

• Like 2

BlueLou mine is spending a week at Ballet West this summer with a view to it being one she applies for in 2019. She would have loved to have done two weeks but her summer is simply too busy this year. 

Edited by Pointetoes
  • Like 2

My DD loved BW last summer and was due to return this year for 2 weeks.

Unfortunately or fortunately which ever way you choose to look at it, my DD was offered a two week place at ENBS. Absolutely delighted and totally unexpected but ENBS dates are the exact same dates as BW.  Probably like so many others she can't select any earlier dates as she would not have broken up from her academic school for the holidays

We have decided to accept the place at ENBS but BW is still on her list.  

Not only did the school have two entrants in the BBC final but they also had entrants in the Genee final in Sydney, as well as one student winning the choreography award at the Phyllis Bedell competition only the other week. The school certainly does not allow their remote location from stopping them from entering their students in all the well known competitions and performing opportunities. Even for the 1st years. The location/scenery is absolutely stunning, the standard is amazing and the people of Scotland are all incredibly friendly and hospitable.  :)

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 3

BlueLou I agree with you about Ballet West.  I happened to be in the UK when the finalists were on TV and I agree the lovely young female participant was gorgeous .

A real credit to herself and her school. It just goes to show that where ever you are if you work hard you will do well.

Its always better if you have the support of your family and friends behind you and I am sure that is usually the key to success but in this case the lovely dancer had left her family a long way away.

In addition to that I thought all the dancers were lovely in particular the Elmhurst participants .

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:25, sarahw said:

Does anyone know if any US have an official or unofficial minimum height for female applicants?

Yes. In 2015 my dd did the ENB audition workshop. There was a Q&A session afterwards with the school principal and other staff and this question came up. It was indicated they apply minimum and maximum heights for female applicants. I believe 5'4" to 5'7" was the range quoted.

Hmmm, I'm sure that's a fluid thing as some of the female dancers in ENB are shorter than 5'4''.  Can't see why they would limit the height of their school when their company is so diverse.  There will always be exceptions - some of their boys are really short too, they need shorter girls to dance with. 

• Like 1