Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting discussion but may I please ask (with my moderator hat on) that we keep these pinned threads for particular questions and answers about auditions, and that you start new threads for other discussions. Many thanks

• Like 1

Hi Dancermum,

DD2 had her prelim at Central at 11 in the morning last year. After the class, they were asked to wait for about half an hour and they were given enveloppes with the results in it. Some of them got a no, a few got a yes. The final audition started at about 2 if I remember well...

Edited by afab
  • Like 1

Wow, that's a lot of finals... how many do they take in each year? Sorry, don't know much about central...

The auditions this weekend include the prelims for overseas candidates. They hold them on the same weekend as finals so that people only have to travel once.

• Like 1

I feel for all of you auditioning at the moment

I pick up so much tension 

from the posts .

I myself was fortunate to get to the RBS many years ago . I came from overseas and sadly at the end of my training sustained an injury that made it impossible to dance again. I have been fortunate in having had a great career in a new field and do not really look back too often.I did in the past teach ballet for a few years.

I was a foster mother to a child who started ballet quite late in her life and last year was auditioning for schools so I experienced the whole audition experience on a completely different level to how it seemed when I myself was auditioning. I found myself getting anxious , joined the forum and probably got even more anxious !

I am so happy to say that my foster daughter achieved finals in prestigious schools in the UK and in the end opted to further her career overseas where she has been doing so well and has found her niche.

It is important to remember that each student will find the right place for themselves to go forward in their training. If they have some talent , work hard , stay in focus they will succeed regardless of which school they go to.

My advice is to stay cool .

• Like 18

I believe, if it's like last year, then it's a letter. However they come out in batches, last year there were some offers/rejections/waiting lists the week after the audition (the Wednesday) however results were sent out in the 2 weeks following that, presumably waiting for rejections of the places to offer them to someone else? It took 3 weeks for my letter to arrive last year, hoping I don't have to wait as long this year! Good luck to everyone waiting x

• Like 1

I do hope all schools consider sending out results all in one batch. People getting them in dribs and drabs and inevitably sharing their results on social media just adds to the stress of auditions, especially when students are also revising for academic exams.

• Like 5

I have full sympathy reading the posts  about over seas students filing places in UK schools. As there are so few schools I agree that this is not satisfactory.

I am afraid that when I came to London  from over sea 's a long time ago to train I was so exited and happy and I did not think about this.

Last year when my daughter was auditioning I felt the same as you.My daughter was a British girl and I felt she should stay in the UK to train. Only then did I think about myself taking the place of a UK resident  girl in a most prestigious school.

Maybe British schools should take only British/ UK residents into the schools ?

I now live in USA I was so lucky to adopt my Foster daughter and I am so proud that she is making a good progress in her ballet even though she started to dance at 12 yrs of age , when she came to live with me .

• Like 1

I have full sympathy reading the posts  about over seas students filing places in UK schools. As there are so few schools I agree that this is not satisfactory.

I am afraid that when I came to London  from over sea 's a long time ago to train I was so exited and happy and I did not think about this.

Last year when my daughter was auditioning I felt the same as you.My daughter was a British girl and I felt she should stay in the UK to train. Only then did I think about myself taking the place of a UK resident  girl in a most prestigious school.

Maybe British schools should take only British/ UK residents into the schools ?

I now live in USA I was so lucky to adopt my Foster daughter and I am so proud that she is making a good progress in her ballet even though she started to dance at 12 yrs of age , when she came to live with me .

What a wonderful story.  Year ago, I fostered a boy who was really showing a great deal of promise in ballet and performing generally.  Social services decided that he was 'too busy' with classes.  That he needed time to think about what happened in his past.  They moved him.  I alway think about the 'what if', for him

• Like 2