Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope they are picking the best dancers!! Dancer being the operative word. No good having big arches and sway back legs if you can't actually dance! Whilst the body must be pleasing on the eye, the ability to move is the most important attribute. There are many body types suitable for ballet. Simply look at the two RB companies. When I'm asked about the desirable physique for a dancer I always say, "a body that is strong with good technique and classical lines, a good face, decent feet, musicality and most importantly that x factor that draws you in."

I agree absolutely! Dancing is about so much more than a short tick list of desirable attributes. But are all upper schools looking to fill their places with dancers that 'draw you in'? I’ve wondered about this. If they are ultimately trying to staff their company, then they need a lot of coryphee, an individual member of which shouldn’t generally draw the eye too much. Maybe they have to select dancers considering who will blend into the coryphee, both physically and as performers, and they might not necessarily be ‘the best dancers’. Just musings ………..

• Like 2

Speaking from experience even to stand at the side propping up the scenery you have to be very good. They don't pick corps de ballet fonder. They pick individuals who all begin at the bottom. Even the greatest dancers were corps de ballet once. Then it's simple survival of the fittest as to who moves up above that. Speed of learning and being injury free will help with promotion through the ranks. A beautiful face or just charisma will win through. So many factors come into play within a company.

• Like 5

After my hopeful prediction that we might hear soon after the flurry of activity on lower school results, no news here! Given the discussions above about the absence of the AD, could it be he wants to review the candidates chosen before the emails are sent to prevent anyone being 'missed' - I know how anxious my dd is for the result and we have only had to wait since Sunday, some of the prelims were a few weeks ago so surely the results of them must be available so wondered what the hold up is...hence my theory?

Anyway, whatever the reason, hope we all hear soon and good luck to all ☺️

Little bit more about Rambert from today's audition. Dd really enjoyed the classes and parents had a fab, friendly informative tour with all questions well answered. Feels like a very friendly, supportive environment including financial support from the school (where possible)for each student.

8 dancers asked to perform solo (dd included) and 3 of the 8 had physio assessment and interview. We were reassured that those not asked for solo and physio/interview were equally likely to be offered places and the chance to perform solo did not guarantee an offer. Results might take a little longer than usual as the Principal is conducting auditions is USA and Canada and not back until next week. Around 45 places on offer with about 600 auditioning in total.

Good luck to all waiting????

• Like 9

Quick update on ENB audition today. Parents allowed in to drop off/pin on numbers and dc's encouraged in to warm up in studio. Ballet class with no pointe work, small amount of stretches. Dd and her friend felt the barre was quite challenging compared to other auditions but centre work was straightforward with quite a lot of arabesques and adage. No talk or information for parents (as was made clear on audition information) - results by post between 1 and 2 weeks, dd was told. The building is in a smart residential area and is shared with an art and design college. The studio I looked in was bright and had windows and there was a room for physio treatment. Building was lovely and warm on this freezing day. The limited amount of time parents were in the building made it impossible for me to get any kind of feel for the place.

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me how the central course is split between ballet and other genres, contemporary, choreography, etc - how many hours a week of each do they do? Also how many do they take each year?

Don't know much about the school so any feedback gratefully received. Thanks.

It is also the case that whilst he has been director several children who failed to gain a place at the school via audition have managed to enter the school with a trial week/day or simply a private class. There is definitely a discrepancy between the head of outreach and the directors choices. Just to put the final nail in the coffin, it's also the head of outreach that selects for summer school! If you're not Mr.Annear's cup of tea, then it's all over for you!

• Like 1

Two of the private auditionees were directly related to the AD and his staff. Very unfair, nobody minds when all go through the same process, but when there are different rules for some ? with all these complaints re RBS auditions, surely there should be an enquiry to the governing body. The RBS has got away with too much for far too long, it is about time they were answerable to a few questions.

• Like 2

Two of the private auditionees were directly related to the AD and his staff. Very unfair, nobody minds when all go through the same process, but when there are different rules for some ? with all these complaints re RBS auditions, surely there should be an enquiry to the governing body. The RBS has got away with too much for far too long, it is about time they were answerable to a few questions.

Yes, people are bound to feel disgruntled that the AD doesn't go to the prelims for his school, then private auditions are arranged for select people who appear to have links to the staff there. 

• Like 1

Yes, my friend has been offered a place at RBS. She is Australian and went to Prix de Lausanne. 

Also, did anyone do the audition at ENB on Sunday 11 February? I was at the last audition (combined with boys). My friends who were in the same audition as me received their results on Wednesday, but I have not received mine yet. They said it will be out within 1-2 weeks so I know they still have time, but because my friends received theirs on Wednesday, I'm just worried that they missed me or that the email did not go through... What do you guys think???

Thanks