Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow 53, so I wonder if they do it like tring then and everyone that gets to finals goes on the reserve with a score to order them? Seems quite a few year 9's on the reserve! Has anyone heard of a yes yet??

Also am I wrong in assuming that there probably won't be a massive amount of movement as all the other schools have already had their finals and places will have had to have been accepted already? Or am I way off the mark lol :D 

I'm totally confused by Hammond.  I keep hearing from other parents about kids receiving "scholarships"I don't know if it's just the terminology that's being used and they mean the MDS.  Can somebody clarify the position please, my understanding is that there will be a few offered MDS and that others will receive a bursary but the bursary is capped at 50%.

thanks

I think people just refer to a bursary as a scholarship, which yes is capped at 50% And if your child isn't offered a MDS you can phone the school and discuss the possibility of a bursary with the school.

Yes, that is correct - which is why for some higher earning families offered an MDS - the actual bursary can work out better and they may decide to relinquish the MDS, hence some movement can occur from the reserve list over the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

Yes DD's letter says reserve for MDS (didn't think she would stand a chance anyway as yr 9) and to telephone to discuss bursary, given that it is capped at 50% I haven't bothered as I can't afford it even with 50% off.  I have heard of people saying that they have received a full scholarship though and this had really confused me.  I know you can't always believe what is posted on social media but some info came via a parent.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly from a discussion on this forum, that there was a child offered a 100% scholarship last year because she posted the letter on her Facebook page.  I seem to remember a few parents of hammonds studenrs being surprised that the child had posted it as they are requested to keep the information private.  

I have to say, I hear a lot about 'full scholarships' being offered but when you scratch the surface it's a means tested source of funding (MDS/DADA).  In the past - long time ago - funding was offered in those terms and it was used as a bit of bragging to say child had been offered a full scholarship as it wasn't means tested so a full scholarship implied more talent (no more likely to get a job though once at the end of training).  I wonder if the phrase is used now as a bit of a throw back to that or just parents/children trying to make out they are better - I know plenty of competitive/insecure parents like that, who don't let the truth get in the way of an embellished story.  

Any place  is great, any scholarship is great, if you can afford it with what is offered fantastic.  The dance career path  is a long fraught road. Some will make it many will not but will have a lovely time along their journey.

i wish you all the best of luck with funding as I think this is a very difficult pill for parents. 

• Like 7

Perhaps all will be revealed eventually but at the moment it's all as clear as mud.  

The whole dance thing drives me nuts, I try to educate myself a little (by reading this forum) but each time I think I know what's going on something happens and I realise that I know absolutely nothing!  I'm going back to spring cleaning now, how do dance mums keep up the house work with all the running around? 

• Like 3

.........don't get me started on that one !! I wrongly thought after DS started at vocational school - life would be easier with a little extra time freed up. The fact that we seem to lose whole weekends travelling for EXEAT and non dancing daughter's life being taken over with badminton - I find I've even less time !!

house work , coping ?? - I've found its really advantageous to be very short-sighted, drink a little wine & not get too hung up on it ... for my own sanity. 

My house USED to be like a show-home ...... many years ago, before acquiring a partner & kids !!;):rolleyes::wacko::D:D

• Like 4

Not to mention spending the entire weekend unpacking, washing, ironing & repacking!

Managed to fit in taking dd to visit previous dance school, taking ds to sports practice, cinema trip, taking ds to his show rehearsal, shopping & tonight a family birthday meal so far!

• Like 3

Hi, don't really post anymore but just wanted to say a huge well done to all who have reached finals. 

The standard was apparently incredibly high this year, around 60 on the finals list (a few no shows perhaps) & included some children who although they had little previous training demonstrated incredible potential. 

Apparently there are less MDS awards available this year too which makes it so hard. The panel really want everyone to do their best & they'd love to offer everyone a place. 

So if your child was not one of the lucky few, please reassure them that it's not the end of the road, there are indeed many roads to Rome. If they 'have' to dance they will find a way. 

• Like 13

Thanks for this Pictures and nice to "see" you again - I've missed your posts! My DD was one of the lucky recipients of an MDS award and after reading this we're feeling even luckier (and more shocked!) now.

So sad for all those who haven't had such good news this time, but as Pictures says, all our lovely dancers will indeed find a way.

Edited by elfin
  • Like 6

Yes .... It's a massive achievement to make finals for any of these schools as there are so many talented & deserving students out there, all competing for so few MDS awards. There is also bound to be years where the number of awards available fluctuate quite considerably, therefore some years this just adds to the difficulty.

It's very, very sad for all those disappointed & does make you realise how lucky you are if in receipt of such an award.

Edited by Ballet4Boyz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Bless you all.  I found out that my posts were being stalked by my daughter & her friends so that contributed to my continued silence!

You are missed Pictures. 

My posts are also stalked but I do have a reserve ID for emergencies!! I mostly ask or say things that I would to DD anyway...

1 hour ago, theother51 said:

Not to mention spending the entire weekend unpacking, washing, ironing & repacking!

Managed to fit in taking dd to visit previous dance school, taking ds to sports practice, cinema trip, taking ds to his show rehearsal, shopping & tonight a family birthday meal so far!

I've found that getting them to travel by train helps as they don't have to bring their washing home and they can't carry too much else.

Of course this depends on age and suitability of railway routes....

2 hours ago, Harwel said:

If I remember correctly from a discussion on this forum, that there was a child offered a 100% scholarship last year because she posted the letter on her Facebook page.  I seem to remember a few parents of hammonds studenrs being surprised that the child had posted it as they are requested to keep the information private.  

At an event last year (it might have been Prize Day or the end of year show I can't quite remember) the Principal gave a speech about the launch of the Centenary Fund & how the school knows that there are not enough MDS awards & school bursaries to go around  & how a bursary was not enough for some families generous though they are. Also funding for talented music/drama students. 

She announced that a Bursary fund was being set up & that there would be a Prep School Scholarship set up for a student entering In Year 6 & below. 

It it is therefore feasible that should an exceptionally talented student appear, that such a scholarship might be offered if it was felt appropriate. I don't actually know & parents are supposed to not make specifics known.  

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
Auto correct

2 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Pictures, you really have been missed! Perhaps you could set up an alternative ID for posts which your DD may not appreciate, as Sarah suggests? 

I'd end up getting confused!  I did try that a few years ago when I asked a fairly personal dd related question & I kept logging in as the wrong person!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sarahw said:

I've found that getting them to travel by train helps as they don't have to bring their washing home and they can't carry too much else.

Of course this depends on age and suitability of railway routes....

Yes, that was supposed to happen but she got offered a lift!