Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading everyone's posts- wow! Such a small number of places for anything higher than yr7- well done to the DC who are lucky enough to secure a place- exciting, but very anxious times! Looking forward to hearing of some success stories soon!

I hope that the 2 places apparently available at White Lodge for Y8 starting in September have become available because there is extra space or because 2 current Y7s have decided that WL is not for them, rather than because they have been injured or are being assessed out. (Although I thought that WL no longer assessed out in Y7?)

• Like 2

Won't they wait until all the auditions are finished on Sunday before any results come out? I know it's different for Associates as they have a number of places for each centre, but for WL I guess they want to see all dancers from all auditions before deciding who the lucky ones will be that are invited to Finals?

Even if sadly some students have left for whatever reason, and there are 'potential beds', they still may not fill them, and years 9-11 do not have a set number of beds for each year group. For the last 2 years I believe no-one has been taken into Yrs 9 or 10 from finals. They have taken one or two from summer school though. But be positive and if you don't try, you'll never know! Every year will be different. Good luck to everyone waiting for results.

Can anyone tell me how many places are available for Year 7 at the "big 4"? I know that RBS can take up to 12 boys and 12 girls but how many places are there at Elmhust, Tring and Hammond. Sorry if this information is out there but I can't find it.

Elmhurst is similar to WL but they don't always take 12 girls and 12 boys. The years I know about was 14 girls and 11 boys and year later 11 girls and 10 boys.

Tring dance course classes are smaller. I know a year with 7 girls and 3 boys. But only half or less of them got in with MDS funding, the rest is paying full fees. Tring has just around 7-9 (that's the years I know about) MDS places to be offered to children auditioning to years 7-11, so it doesn't all go to Year 7.

I don't know how many places there are in Hammond but I know that apart from MDS places they also offer school scholarship.

• Like 1

Last year at WL I believe one girl was offered a place in year 9 from finals and I know that another girl was taken into year 9 last term - she was an MA. I don't know about year 10 but 4 or 5 were assessed out and have been replaced, whether that was from summer school, finals or abroad.

WL do flex the number within each year depending on who they see and yes they do still assess out in Year 8 if things are not working out, but very unlikely in year 7. My dd is now in Year 8 and they brought in bunk beds last year to increase the numbers upto 14 for the girls. There are fewer currently in Year 7 so definitely could fit in a couple more girls. Not sure about the boys.

Good luck to all

• Like 3

Won't they wait until all the auditions are finished on Sunday before any results come out? I know it's different for Associates as they have a number of places for each centre, but for WL I guess they want to see all dancers from all auditions before deciding who the lucky ones will be that are invited to Finals?

They normally release the results for years 8 and above before year 7 results from auditions. So Sunday is for year 7 entry. The first results usually out would be from Bath for years 8 and up as they are the first audition dates - think 11 Jan this year.

• Like 2

Can I just post as a mum of a current year 7 at WL to please ask for a little compassion when speculating about available places and to be sensitive to the families of current years who are just about to take appraisalsand who might be reading the forum .Yr 7 and 8 children can definitely be assessed out although unlikely and nobody takes it for granted that their child will make it through to year 9 .

• Like 10

Can I just post as a mum of a current year 7 at WL to please ask for a little compassion when speculating about available places and to be sensitive to the families of current years who are just about to take appraisalsand who might be reading the forum .Yr 7 and 8 children can definitely be assessed out although unlikely and nobody takes it for granted that their child will make it through to year 9 .

Well said cupcake. Appraisal time at WL was easily the most stressful part of the whole process and I hate the whole "does anyone know how many places are available" debate knowing that some people may be about to have to change schools.

The fact is that if a child auditioning is super talented they will be found a space. I once had a student like this, I persuaded a director to look at her despite being told that there were no spaces.My student was offered a space on the spot. (Frustratingly the parents refused!)

It is also the case that available spaces will not be filled if an audition panel does not feel any candidate merits the place for whatever reason.

So really, asking how many spaces are available is irrelevant and also insensitive to people like Cupcake whose DCs are having to undergo the appraisal process. The fact is, there are always very few places for lots of applicants. But however high the odds, it's always worth a try.

• Like 8

Appraisals are definitely a very real concern for all children at vocational school, and it is a stressful time for all.

At the moment in terms of places available I would have thought any information given out at prelim auditions would only be in terms of spaces because they have extra beds and didn't fill them all the previous year, or because someone has chosen to leave, as assessments have not taken place yet.

Good luck to all auditioning for schools and all who are already at schools and have appraisals coming up.

(edited to correct spelling)

Edited by amos73
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Appraisal results time was awful - there's no denying it. Even before my son has his place withdrawn (or was "assessed out" as it's known) it was horrible every year hearing about those who who got bad news and I'll be completely honest and say that was hard not to feel that someone else had been given their place (away from the heat of the moment you know that's not true and it's a huge achievement for someone to be offered a place in any year). Remember they're not just losing their RBS place - there having to leave their school, really close friends, adults they've been close to, and effectively their home!

We're nearly 9 years down the line now and I still feel the emotion of receiving that awful letter. But I also remember the wonderful feeling of getting the place in the beginning and his place at Elmhurst afterwards - and the day he got his first professional dance contract (that made it all worthwhile).

Good luck everyone - it's a exciting time for you all.

• Like 15

Do you think there is any chance of an u diction if you apply after the last Preliminary? I made the mistake of not applying for Elmhurst, and it says on the website that you can apply any time before the final audition, but is this realistic?

I am also thinking of applying for Hammond and Tring, but their last dates for Prelims are coming up in 20-30 days.. Is this alright?

(I had a no from WL unfortunately) . Onwards and upwards, and I'm thinking positively!

• Like 1