Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

My friend's lovely dd was there yesterday and said the children went in without the parents and I understand they didn't get a talk etc yesterday so didn't really have any knowledge of the numbers of girls there or any info on numbers of MDS awards available. However they will hear this week/within a week hopefully so not too long to wait. The dd said she had a lovely day however and loved the audition which consisted of a ballet class, a free movement class I think, and a musical theatre class. 

Good luck to everyone (especially my friends dd!) xxxxx 

Edited by Balletmum55
Typo
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they just like to see if they have the confidence to sing and also because if maybe your not right for the dance course they can consider you for the MT course instead. But it's not a big issue and they say it won't affect the outcome of the audition. And like I say if you don't have a piece prepared they just ask you to sing happy birthday. I'd let her audition, it's a great experience!

They have great music at Hammond - regular timetable class plus all take part in Junior Choir (timetabled weekly) Lots of small performances at various school events plus the most marvellous annual Xmas Carol Concert in Chester Cathedral. The whole school take part & it is stirring stuff! My DD is a strong singer but it seems that even those who have not previously seen singing as 'for them' get fully involved & confidence levels all round are high with them singing their hearts out & loving it - with the excellent Kevin Williams & team at the helm I defy anyone NOT to love singing within a few weeks at Hammond!

• Like 9

Yes .....Kevin Williams such an inspirational teacher, full of enthusiasm & gets all the students singing their hearts out & enjoying themselves.....along with the many other fantastic teachers at Hammond !! 

Good luck to all those waiting for audition results :D

Meant to add, our DS was always slightly reserved re singing - he now feels so much more confidant with his singing & happy to volunteer to sing solos & audition for singing parts ...... never thought we'd see that !!

Edited by Ballet4Boyz
  • Like 4

My DD was there yesterday.  She's been very unhelpful remembering what they did though. We didn't get to speak to any staff, the kids were took off us at the door and then let out once they spotted parents cars. Should have been a 1pm finish but they were done by 12 so lots of kids hanging round by the time I picked my DD up. Apparently there was 29 kids yesterday a mix of yr 7 &8, no idea how many MDS awards they have to give. They did an hour ballet, free movement/jazz class to copacabana then musical theatre to MaryPoppins supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  My DD loved the experience, tense wait now for results.

• Like 2

On 25/04/2017 at 06:42, theother51 said:

There is no Lower School Musical Theatre Course, just Dance or straight Drama.

Just to say that the Hammond school also take Music students. My non dancing DD has had a very rewarding time there. 

My only gripe is that she has been unable to take dance classes whilst there, which I find a little bit ridiculous. 

Regarding singing, my dd auditioned for yr9 last year and was offered a place without singing at the audition at all (she's never been a singer). She started last September and her confidence has gone from strength to strength so much so that she started her private singing lessons today and said it was brilliant.

• Like 8

Sorry to hear that too Sarah2203.

Last year's leaving Year 11 had quite a few MDS's to put back in the pot.  I don't think there are as many this year, however the current Year 10 who will leave next year do have quite a few MDS's so it is definitely worth trying again next year.

Hammond is an amazing school - for all those on reserve list ...... don't give up all hope yet !! There is always some movement, as for some families the bursaries which can be very generous, will work out better than being on an MDS. Good Luck everyone , I remember this agonising wait last year !!:wacko:

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. Realistically the chances of her attending this year are very low, she's not very high up on reserve list and even  the reduced fees discussed with them are out of reach for us. I'm just waiting to see my DD after school but I think she'll be fine, she's a laid back character by nature so I'm sure she'll take it in her stride. It seems this year her hypermobility has been biggest cause of concern for all the schools we tried, though her strength has improved immensely over the last year. I'm sure she'll be raring to do it again next year 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sarah2203 said:

Thank you everyone. Realistically the chances of her attending this year are very low, she's not very high up on reserve list and even  the reduced fees discussed with them are out of reach for us. I'm just waiting to see my DD after school but I think she'll be fine, she's a laid back character by nature so I'm sure she'll take it in her stride. It seems this year her hypermobility has been biggest cause of concern for all the schools we tried, though her strength has improved immensely over the last year. I'm sure she'll be raring to do it again next year 

Very sorry t hear your dd didn't secure MDS, it's a feeling I know only too well!! Can I ask Did they tell you your dd's position on the waiting list then? And if so did the tell you out of how many? I've always wondered how many they have on the reserve lists. Xx

My DD is on the reserve list too for years 9  have to wait till Tuesday , it's a horrible feeling all this waiting But to be honest I don't think I will be able to afford it.good luck to all you little dancers out there. 

Edited by Caroleann
  • Like 2