Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone advise please. My daughter has funding audition March for Tring and April for Hammond. If by some miracle she was offered an MDS for Tring how long would we have to accept? I'm assuming it would be before we even get to Hammond. I know the chances are very slim as they're like gold dust but my daughter is worrying about it a little.

Sarah2203 I think it is likely you would have to decide prior to Hammond.

Does she have a preferred school? My guess is if she got offered an MDS at Tring (which would be an outstanding achievement ) she would also get an offer from Hammond.

From outset it has always been Hammond. However when we went to Tring she absolutely loved the school so she's unable to decide at the moment. I also prefer Tring however I think distance for us Hammond would be easier ( hammond is a 3hr drive away where as tring closer to 5hrs).

• Like 1

I think it says on the letter from Tring that after receiving MDS offer we will have 2 weeks to accept it.

I also though "what if" but as Sarahw says it's so rare to get an MDS offer from Tring that I won't worry about it until it happens.

Good luck to your DD.

Tring every time ! But the MDS are like gold dust . In the recent Cecchetti competition at Sadlers Wells - Tring scooped up most of the awards.

I don't think Hammond enter these competitions , which really do give the students valuable performance and audition skills .

Since being at Tring , my DS passed 8 good GCSEs , 2 A levels , Advanced 2 RAD , advanced 1 Cecchetti .

Been to Gothenburg to perform 3 times .

All the boys in his classical group got scholarships to Hong Kong summer school for 4 weeks .

I cannot praise this school enough .

It has been the making of him .

Please note that this is only my opinion .

Your child must get a feel for all the schools they are fortunate enough to have offers with .

Re visit if you can .

And if it doesn't work out - you can change .

MDS awards do seem to favour the boys at Tring , however one of my students was offered MDS at the very last minute for year 7 . Sadly she had , by this time accepted somewhere else .

Very best wishes to you all who are waiting .

Tutugirl

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies. I've got to say Tring impressed me the most. For the dance course at Tring do they still do singing? My daughter absolutely loves it which is probably why she initially thought hammond would be her favourite. She's absolutely working her socks off now trying to get in as much ballet practice as she can in preparation for the funding auditions. Even if she's not successful this year it's definitely made her want to work and improve so she can audition next year.

• Like 1

It's funny you say about the feel for the school tutugirl. We attended Elmhurst as well as tring and Hammond only because her Associate teacher pushed her too. All the way there she said I'm going just for the experience however when she got there she totally felt at home. Hammond she said didn't have that same initial feeling.

I really don't think you should take much notice of what others believe is the best school - they just can't answer for your daughter. Even though I'm in the slightly unusual position of having my daughter attend both Hammond and Tring, I still wouldn't be able to tell you which is better for your daughter. I personally believe my DD was able to blossom more at Hammond than she would have at Tring, but this is such an individual, personalised matter. You'll both be able to experience the all so important 'feel' that you get when you attend second auditions and ask loads of questions.

• Like 6

Wow it's beautiful. That's exactly what she'd love to do. She currently only does dance/singing outside of school. She doesn't participate in any school groups as some kids in her year group gave her a hard time :( In fact her current class teacher wasn't even aware she danced until they completed the hammond forms in school

Thank you for all the replies. I've got to say Tring impressed me the most. For the dance course at Tring do they still do singing? My daughter absolutely loves it which is probably why she initially thought hammond would be her favourite. She's absolutely working her socks off now trying to get in as much ballet practice as she can in preparation for the funding auditions. Even if she's not successful this year it's definitely made her want to work and improve so she can audition next year.

Dance students do singing and drama and there are opportunities for all students to try out for the choir.  I saw that their senior choir won BBC Choir of the Year last year. 

My dd is at Hammond and I'd agree that Tring is higher in the ballet 'pecking order' and I'm sure she would've chosen it if she had the option.

Having said that the pastoral care at Hammond is fab and the children are all very happy and this is worth so much. Dance and academic teachers are very caring as are admin staff and boarding staff. I'm sure they learn well.

As a parent I would like the academic options at Tring.

This is not a criticism of Hammond - things are going very well for us there just chewing the fat really.

But I think the bottom line is it's a personal choice and you don't actually know until your child is there if it's been the right decision.

Travelling time is important as well - tiring for kids at exeat and for parents esp with respect to juggling siblings and work.

Edited by sarahw

• 1 month later...