Mara Galeazzi Gala with RB dancers, Verona Italy, 23 July

Hi! Yesterday night I attended the Gala with another balletomane friend. What can I say?? There are no words to describe such a wonderful event. All the dancers were absolutely amazing and very friendly at the end of the show :)  It's a pity that Lauren Cuthberston wasn't there, I wanted to see her so much :(

First of all, I have to say that Marianela and Steven really caught the attention of the public. 

Nunez and Soares danced the most captivating Black swan pdd I've ever seen... I loved the intensity of the characterization and the chemistry between them. Technically they did a great job, her Odile was perfect and during the fouettés everybody in the audience was going crazy... we couldn't stop clapping!!! 

"After the Rain" was followed in a religious silence, they really know how to create an atmosphere.

Steven showed off his tap dancer skills with "Something different", a very amusing piece that the crowd enjoyed a lot.

Then he danced a delightful Sleeping Beauty pdd with Sarah Lamb who was so charming and delicate... I particularly loved her as Aurora. Steven, during the prince variation, semeed to fly, his manège was gorgeous!!!

Also Qualia danced by Sarah and Edward was another great moment. Altought I'm not McGregor's greatest fan, I have to admit that this piece  was incredibile. Their bodies blended in a single entity so well that I couldn't take my eyes off of them.

And now it's Mara's turn.. she was, of course, the star of the evening. She performed two wonderful pas de deux (Gremin and Tatiana's pdd and Look West) with Gary Avis and Manon and R&J with Ed. I felt privileged to have seen this great partnership in two of Macmillan most celebrated pieces. Manon was overwhelming and intimate, they really seemed to enjoy dancing it together. To dance R&J in Verona was a great idea but it was strange to see the balcony pas de deux without the balcony ;) the crowd loved it anyway!! 

So, a very special evening with amazing dancers. We will be honoured to have them Italy more often... please come back!!!!

Ps:I'm sorry for my english, I hope it's understandable.

Caterina

• Like 6

Caterina, welcome to the Forum!

I hope you don't mind but I have moved your post into the "Performances Seen" forum.

It's lovely to have a review of what sounds to have been a wonderful performance.  Your English is splendid (and a lot better than my Italian!).  I hope you will continue to post.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you, Caterina, for that.  Please don't worry, your English is perfectly fine :), and it's great to have a report on this.  Which Manon pdd was it - the Act I bedroom one, I assume?

Thank you for posting, Caterina. It was an amazing evening. All the dancers were brilliant but Steven McRae was particularly captivating with his witty performance. The theatre was packed, and although the loudest applause was for Nunez-Soares, you could sense the deep affection for Mara. I felt privileged to be there.

• Like 1

A lovely tribute: thank you very much for posting it, Josephine.  It has to be said, for those who weren't at her recent Ballet Association meeting, that she was equally complimentary in tribute to some of her partners, too.  I'm hoping that will come out in the meeting report in due course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this is the right place to post? Reading around the internet the origin of some authors is obvious, but I'm curious about The Ballet Bag and above mentioned Gramilano: who are they, what do they do, etc? I've read the blurb on their respective blogs, but it doesn't give much information. Thanks!