Regional Youth Ballet

Dea

Hi Everyone, my nine year old daughter Has been dancing since the age of three. She is at a good local dance school and In her last examination for ISTD received 93 marks. She takes her grade 2 in just a few weeks time but is also taking classes the grade 3 as she has progressed quite quickly. At her last examination the examiner asked if she was a junior associate at the Royal Ballet as she thought she showed extreme promise.

She does festival work and in ballet always does very well.. Yesterday she auditioned for the regional youth ballet, and was the only person to be awarded a scholarship. I haven't managed to find much information regarding the regional you ballet, and as this will be a huge commitment and my daughter would need to pass on other opportunities which have been offered within festival dancing, I really would like to know if anyone has any firsthand experience.

My initial thoughts are that doing a over 70 hours of ballet tuition for the show could only mean my daughter's ballet improved considerably which is a great thing considering she would like to audition for the Elmhurst associates programme this year. But I would love to hear from anybody whose child has been involved with the regional ballet of your experience and any comments about the process and end production.

The lady who took the auditions yesterday seemed very open and honest and I'm sure it will be wonderful. I think I'm just looking for some reassurance!!

Hi, my dd took part in regional youth ballet in Oct. She enjoyed the experience but I was disappointed overall. For company class seniors was age 12 & grade 4+ but junior class was mostly grade 1 stuff. Dd was 11 & grade 3 (took exam just after RYB finished) & I had to push for her to do senior class. Also organisation & info provided was poor.

There doesn't seem to be a website - is this the one in Banbury? It might be worth looking at English Youth Ballet - they are doing Swan Lake in Oxford soon.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention, congrats you your dd for being awarded the scholarship!

How many were at the audition, and how many got through?

Edited by taxi4ballet

Thank you Janet :)

I have asked about a website and to view a previous DVD but have not heard anything yet. This does niggle with me a bit!

My DD has applied for English Youth Ballet at The New Theatre in Oxford which has auditions in May, which I have found lots of info on, which is why I was a little concerned about the lack of info for this one.

The rehearsal schedule has come through and it is for 70 hours, I am currently thinking all of the additional ballet tuition can't be a bad thing and with her scholarship it works out less then £3.50 per hour. But I just wanted some real feedback, so thank you everyone.

For what it's worth, and this really is just my personal opinion ... I wouldn't have committed my 9 year old dd to a 70 hour rehearsal schedule and wouldn't have viewed it as 70 hours of extra ballet tuition. Performance opportunities are great, but there is plenty of time for these things. I think my dd was 12, almost 13 when she did National Youth Ballet, which was very professional, lots of fun and a wonderful experience, but it was very tiring, very time consuming, lots of traveling and VERY expensive at the end of the day. As I said, just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

Apart from the letter offering a place, we didn't get any more info until few days before started. I didn't get responses to emails requesting info. As I mentioned above youngest group is pitched about grade 1 level & although maybe there 70 hours she thinks she was dancing maybe half the time.

The actual performance was Sylphides in first half, with various dances in second half including excerpts from swan lake, giselle, sugar plum fairy dance. It was a lovely performance & dd had great time. IMHO, if I'd known eyb was coming to York this summer I would have waited for that.

I have to say I have spoken to Angela this evening and my mind is completely at rest and we are very much looking forward to being a part of the experience. She has been very accommodating to make sure that my DD can attend her rehearsals, festivals and regional finals even though rehearsals and the performances are scheduled.

She didn't pretend to be anything she's not and was very honest with me. The website will be up and running soon and a DVD is in the post for me.

It was very important to us that my DD didn't let anyone down regarding festival work and had the full backing of her teachers who have bought her this far, it is not a decision we have taken lightly but all my worries have been alleviated after the conversation and DD will get to do all of her previous commitments and participate in the programme.

Thank you to all of you for your advice, I look forward to more interaction with you all! X

• Like 2

Sorry a bit late to this discussion but couldnt get on a computer!

My DD also won senior scholarships to take part in the last production of RYB in Newport and Sleeping Beauty with EYB in Weston.

Both different expereiences but both enjoyable for different reasons.

To be honest I wouldnt worry too much about the level of work involved in the company class, it is just a 'warm-up' class.  Associate classes never over-stretch their pupils, its all about a solid grounding of good technique. 

The RYB performance (as already mentioned) consisted of the first half being Les Slyphides (full cast) and the second half was different pieces of work e.g. Giselle which involved the whole cast, three solo performances by some of the older cast, other dances allowed the chidren to perform in small groups/duets, working at a suitable ability and ensuring they all get their moment to shine.  Some very simple pieces of work but the choreography was lovely. 

I was a bit surprised at the time of watching that the standard of some wasnt quite what I had expected but I have come to the conclusion that they can only work with the students that audition and cant expect to work wonders over ten weekends!  RYB did however, allow everyone to dance at a comfortable level for them and have a lovely experience.  If a child showed potential or promise then they adjusted choreography to suit. 

It sounds as if you have a copy of the last DVD, if you havent I would be happy to lend you my copy.

Although we didnt receive too much paperwork beforehand, we did get a full rehearsal schedule, there is a photo opportunity inbetween performances to take picture of the performers in costume, a free t-shirt and free DVD of the performance and they did put on a small party for the dancers afterwards.

In comparison, I found the EYB experience to be full performance experience but the younger roles in sleeping beauty didnt really allow for them to perform in small groups and the costuming left them unrecognisable at times!  It was also a very 'commercial' exercise, everything was an additional hidden cost.  Whilst my daughter benefitted by the number of hours she was able to practise her pointe work there, I cant say the company warm up classes taught her any more than the RYB ones.

A point to remember is that any performance is only as good as its performers!

I'm sure your daughter will have a lovely experience.  I believe RYB were part of Primo Balletto - worth a google, I think there has been another thread on this forum as well if you have a dig around.

• Like 1

BankruptMum, I agree with your comment about performances only being as good as the performers :)

I also think that the standard of teaching plays a large part too, and also the choreography makes a big difference when it is able to show everyone in the best light.

We too, have experienced both large (EYB) and small (Three Counties) youth ballet companies, they have both been very rewarding.

• 1 month later...