Posting in a review and pictures

Tomorrow (Sunday) I am planning on posting in a review of a ballet performance. I understand that I should put it in the What's Hapening Forum. I also understand that there will no longer be a magazine format. But....what do I do about pictures? In the past I had the company send them directly to Bruce. From what I am reading - uploading pictures is not easy for those of us (me) whose skills are not equal to the task.

Should I just tell the company not to send pictures? If that's wrong - to whom shall they be sent?

Thank you for all the effort you are putting into keeping this forum alive.

As far as I can see you can't place photos in postings directly from your computer. When you click the little Image icon it asks for a URL i.e. the image has to be on the web.

Sheep.jpg

To add this photo I got myself a Photobucket account (free) which seems to give unlimited photo storage. Having uploaded the pic to Photobucket I could then get its URL and use that to insert it here. It's just one extra step compared to uploading it direct but does mean that such photos aren't taking up space in our account.

The formatting facilities here are pretty limited. For instance you can't run text round an image. I've tried putting the pic into a Word document (which does allow runaround) but when that is placed here the image is replaced by an empty box, though the text flow round that is kept. Not what I wanted!

John: I should have thought of that as I had to establish a Photobucket account for the posting of pictures on another website. As you've found, that works well, albeit there does not appear to be anything one can do to format text around the pics. The other site also strives valiantly to get users to adopt a maximum size for pictures posted, so that the forum frame is not distorted, and we might need to consider that in due course. And I've just remembered that URL links to a Flickr account don't seem to work well on that site - no time to experiment with that now. Got a train to catch!

71633dcf.jpg

Further to my last, just tried Flickr - to no avail, getting just that nondescript icon at top left. (I've just deleted it, having received a message about a non-suitable link on pressing 'Post.')

Photobucket works fine for me, too, as above. The size is, I think, 800 x 528 - so 850 is probably about as big as will fit here.

(And to forestall any questions: it was taken on 13 June 1967 at not-too-many feet above ground level after some resupply drops to a South Arabian Army garrison at Dhala, in up-country South Yemen, in the last months of our having a base in Aden. Something for "Not Dance," I suppose!)

Edited by Ian Macmillan
So that's OK - the site clearly does not like Flickr at all.

I just posted in a review. What I usually do is copy from my Word document and then paste into the posting box by right clicking my mouse. But with this new board that didn't work. So....luckily I discovered that you have to use one of the last three icons on the top row. Lucky me...I really didn't want to have to retype the whole thing. :)

Further to my last, just tried Flickr - to no avail, getting just that nondescript icon at top left. (I've just deleted it, having received a message about a non-suitable link on pressing 'Post.')

Photobucket works fine for me, too, as above.

People should read the small print re using third party sites to host images that are displayed elsewhere.

I think, but people should check, that Photobucket allows images to be posted elsewhere without needing to name them or have a public link back to them. I don't believe that Flickr allows the same at all. You can do it - but do as they ask if you go this way.

6947581897_286fcf4985_z.jpg

Ballet Black dance Christopher Hampson's 'Storyville': Lulu White (Sarah Kundi)

© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

6801448694_453d80e855_z.jpg

Ballet Black dance Christopher Hampson's 'Storyville': Cira Robinson

© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...

Dave Morgan's Ballet Black 'Storyville' photo set - 24 images

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

Out of interest, I've just tried Flickr once again. As on my last attempt, trying to put a picture directly here resulted in the nondescript icon, now deleted. I'm about to see if it will take a URL link:

http://www.flickr.co...tream/lightbox/

Well that seems OK. I'm hanged if I know how Dave is managing to post images, but I'm delighted that he can do so!

Flickr doesn't seem to make it easy and they are fussy. They say about direct linking (as here):

Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

This means that for every photo you put here you have to provide a link back to the image on the Flickr site.

To get the URL of the image so that it shows here go to the Share drop-down above the pic (in Flickr) and select Grab the HTML/BBCode. You then need to extract the actual link from that by pasting the code into a text editor and removing all the fluff so you're left with something like http://farm8.staticf..._4fba9aff33.jpg i.e. a link to the jpeg image itself rather than the page it's on. Then when you click on the Image icon here you paste that code in and hey presto!

6983140669_4fba9aff33.jpg

Flickr

To get the mandatory Flickr link (as above) you go to the Share drop-down and select Grab the link and copy the link and paste it in here via the Link icon.

No doubt Bruce will come along in a minute and tell us the easy way to proceed!

Some pictures, from DanceTabs:

6996425093_babdfb4892.jpg

Sisters (Sarah Lamb as Alice, with Leanne Cope and Samantha Raine)

6996422221_b67043dcc1.jpg

Drink Me - and Alice does (Sarah Lamb)

6850291260_d145e1b71d.jpg

Flamingo used as a croquet mallet (Romany Pajdak)

© Dave Morgan.

Courtesy of: DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...

Dave Morgan's Royal Ballet’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

Courtesy of DanceTabs /Flickr

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 03/03/2012 at 23:41, John Mallinson said:

As far as I can see you can't place photos in postings directly from your computer. When you click the little Image icon it asks for a URL i.e. the image has to be on the web.

Sheep.jpg

To add this photo I got myself a Photobucket account (free) which seems to give unlimited photo storage. Having uploaded the pic to Photobucket I could then get its URL and use that to insert it here. It's just one extra step compared to uploading it direct but does mean that such photos aren't taking up space in our account.

……

I see that Photobucket now requires a subscription from $60 to $400 annually to use this service.