Dance on terrestrial TV

It’s most likely to be the 2018 version with Amber Scott as Hanna and Adam Bull as Danilo, as opposed to the 1993 version with Heathcote as Danilo and Lisa Pavane as Hanna (which is still available on dvd.) The 2018 version is also available on Sky Arts on demand if you can access it.  I fear it’s the only way we’re ever going to get to see the joyful ballet in the UK.

Edited by OnePigeon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Sky Arts Merry Widow recorded- Australian Ballet with Amber Scott as Hanna, Adam Bull as Danilo, Leanne Stojmenov as Valencienne, Andrew Killian as Camille, and Steven Heathcote and David McAllister in the acting roles of Baron Zeta and Njegus respectively. Brilliant dancing, fabulous sets and costumes by Desmond Heeley. The choreography is by Ronald Hynd but I understand the concept, libretto (maybe these days he'd be called the Dramaturg) and staging was by Helpmann. It's as delightful as the fizz in  champagne, as portrayed in the ballet. A refreshing (and therapeutic) tonic in these times. I might just catch it at 6am or 7am  for a laugh to see it in real time for a few minutes. 😄 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

SkyArts Sunday 4th Feb 6.10-8.30am RB La Bayadere. It says it's Acosta/Rojo/Nunez but previously they've shown Muntagirov/Nunez/Osipova so may be either.

My TV says Muntagirov/Nunez/Osipova

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Thanks 2

On 25/01/2024 at 16:26, Emeralds said:

I have the Sky Arts Merry Widow recorded- Australian Ballet with Amber Scott as Hanna, Adam Bull as Danilo, Leanne Stojmenov as Valencienne, Andrew Killian as Camille, and Steven Heathcote and David McAllister in the acting roles of Baron Zeta and Njegus respectively. Brilliant dancing, fabulous sets and costumes by Desmond Heeley. The choreography is by Ronald Hynd but I understand the concept, libretto (maybe these days he'd be called the Dramaturg) and staging was by Helpmann. It's as delightful as the fizz in  champagne, as portrayed in the ballet. A refreshing (and therapeutic) tonic in these times. I might just catch it at 6am or 7am  for a laugh to see it in real time for a few minutes. 😄 

I am so envious because I don't think we have anything like SkyArts in the US--if I'm wrong, savvy people, please educate me!   

Is the Merry Widow 2018 version on a streaming service like medici or marquee.tv?     Amber Scott is a dancer I wish I could see in many ballets, even the Swan Lake that supposedly is based on the Royal family saga (?).   

Edited by myrtle
spelling
  • Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 15:44, jmhopton said:

This is the photo in the TV guide (tvguide.co.uk).  The Australian Merry Widow was filmed for cinema about 5 years ago so I assume this is that version. Steven Heathcote was (I think) the original young hero, Danilo but he might have played the old romantic interest, The Baron, in this version. Having said that sometimes the pictures supplied aren't always accurate. Lost count of the amount of times I've seen a photo for Carlos/Osipova in Giselle only for it to turn out to be the Vadim/Marianela version. The more I see it the more I'd love any of the English Companies to perform it. It would be so wonderful to see it live, especially with the original sets and costumes.

010c6a96-a724-5448-9b9a-0b35bc9ef7c2.jpg

I forgot to say- the photo is of Leanne Stojmenov as Valencienne and Andrew Killian as Camille. 

6 hours ago, myrtle said:

I am so envious because I don't think we have anything like SkyArts in the US--if I'm wrong, savvy people, please educate me!   

Is the Merry Widow 2018 version on a streaming service like medici or marquee.tv?     Amber Scott is a dancer I wish I could see in many ballets, even the Swan Lake that supposedly is based on the Royal family saga (?).   

PBS does a lot of arts tv (probably like a combination of BBC 4 and SkyArts in terms of arts coverage, with the pop, rock and heavy metal reruns and Tales of the Unexpected reruns removed). If it helps, @myrtle, SkyArts is a misnomer- it screens more pop, rock and heavy metal from the 70s and 80s, and old episodes from the 80s or older of obsolete mystery tv shows. It only broadcasts ballet, opera, symphonies etc about 15% of the time.

I’m afraid I don’t know if Marquee or Medici have The Merry Widow. I know one of them has the Australian Ballet Nutcracker with Madeleine Eastoe, Kevin Jackson and Benedicte Bemet. I don’t think Amber Scott is in the Graeme Murphy Swan Lake recording but she does dance the Lilac Fairy in the Sleeping Beauty recording with Lana Jones as Princess Aurora and Kevin Jackson as Prince Florimund.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I forgot to say- the photo is of Leanne Stojmenov as Valencienne and Andrew Killian as Camille. 

PBS does a lot of arts tv (probably like a combination of BBC 4 and SkyArts in terms of arts coverage, with the pop, rock and heavy metal reruns and Tales of the Unexpected reruns removed). If it helps, @myrtle, SkyArts is a misnomer- it screens more pop, rock and heavy metal from the 70s and 80s, and old episodes from the 80s or older of obsolete mystery tv shows. It only broadcasts ballet, opera, symphonies etc about 15% of the time.

I’m afraid I don’t know if Marquee or Medici have The Merry Widow. I know one of them has the Australian Ballet Nutcracker with Madeleine Eastoe, Kevin Jackson and Benedicte Bemet. I don’t think Amber Scott is in the Graeme Murphy Swan Lake recording but she does dance the Lilac Fairy in the Sleeping Beauty recording with Lana Jones as Princess Aurora and Kevin Jackson as Prince Florimund.

Thank you for these valuable leads!  Much appreciated.

I used to watch PBS quite closely but it feels like ballet has appeared less and less.   But my perception may be inaccurate because if the yield appears low my attention tends to drift elsewhere.  T_T      

• Like 1

18 hours ago, myrtle said:

Marquee TV did have the 2018 Merry Widow when I had it just over a year ago, but not sure if it’s still available on there as I no longer subscribe.  Amber Scott is a very beautiful dancer, I’d definitely like to see her in other roles.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

Marquee TV did have the 2018 Merry Widow when I had it just over a year ago, but not sure if it’s still available on there as I no longer subscribe.  Amber Scott is a very beautiful dancer, I’d definitely like to see her in other roles.

Yes it is, I Googled and it is still there on Marquee.

Also, I know this is stretching 'dance' rather, however, the Gondoliers is on BBC4 this evening, 8pm, Scottish Opera.  It should  be on iplayer for catching up. It's a really pretty production.  Further information and a link to iplayer here, hum along. 

https://www.scottishopera.org.uk/shows/the-gondoliers/

My excuse is this. 

Giuseppe. But never mind that — the question is, how shall we celebrate the commencement of our honeymoon? Gentlemen, will you allow us to offer you a magnificent banquet?

Gondoliers. We will!

Giuseppe. Thanks very much; and, ladies, what do you say to a dance?

Tessa. A banquet and a dance! O, it's too much happiness!

• 2 weeks later...

After this week's famine, next week is a relative feast:

Sunday 18th February:

Sky Arts, 7.15 am: Queen & Béjart: Ballet For Life

BBC4, 9 pm: The Royal Ballet in Mayerling (McRae version)

BBC4, 11.15 pm: Men At The Barre: Inside The Royal Ballet (repeated at 2.15 am)

Monday 19th February:

Sky Arts, 6 am: Rhapsody/The Two Pigeons

Thursday 22nd February:

Sky Arts, 6.30 am: Rumpelstiltskin: BalletLORENT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, alison said:

After this week's famine, next week is a relative feast:

Sunday 18th February:

Sky Arts, 7.15 am: Queen & Béjart: Ballet For Life

BBC4, 9 pm: The Royal Ballet in Mayerling (McRae version)

BBC4, 11.15 pm: Men At The Barre: Inside The Royal Ballet (repeated at 2.15 am)

Monday 19th February:

Sky Arts, 6 am: Rhapsody/The Two Pigeons

Thursday 22nd February:

Sky Arts, 6.30 am: Rumpelstiltskin: BalletLORENT

Neither of the two BBC4 ballets appear in my Radio Times or television programme guide - instead it's The River at 9 pm and When Coal was King at 11.20 pm pm Sunday.  Weird, and disappointing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnneMarriott said:

Neither of the two BBC4 ballets appear in my Radio Times or television programme guide - instead it's The River at 9 pm and When Coal was King at 11.20 pm pm Sunday.  Weird, and disappointing.

WHAAAATTTTT??  How very strange.  I've never seen that before.  Sorry, everyone - they were in my cheapo TV programme guide :( 

• Like 1

I switched on the TV this evening at 11.15, and there was a definite announcement along the lines of "in a change to the published programme ...", so at least I'm not going mad!

• Like 3

Not sure if Arte is terrestrial TV. I have it saved as a favourite on my computer and tend to watch it online but I notice they are doing a 4 part series about Kiev Opera House; an Opera House in wartime. I think you can cast it to TV.

If it's not appropriate here perhaps a mod could move it or tell me where to move it to.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/114674-001-A/kyiv-an-opera-house-in-wartime-1-4

• Thanks 1

Maybe this thread should be labelled legacy UK TV channels?  

I watch these digitally online, as with everything else.  Sometimes on big screen (TV if you will) or on tablet and smartphone.  Occasionally on my laptop/PC.

On 21/02/2024 at 10:45, jmhopton said:

Not sure if Arte is terrestrial TV. I have it saved as a favourite on my computer and tend to watch it online but I notice they are doing a 4 part series about Kiev Opera House; an Opera House in wartime. I think you can cast it to TV.

If it's not appropriate here perhaps a mod could move it or tell me where to move it to.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/114674-001-A/kyiv-an-opera-house-in-wartime-1-4

Thank you for sharing this, @jmhopton. The sight of the Opera Houses of Mariupol and Mykolaiv cruelly bombed is horrific and appalling. Makes me all the more determined to support the various Ukrainian ballet troupes and enterprises (like Putrov's gala last week) in their efforts to rebuild and keep their work going.

Slightly unfortunate that the director couldn't find a clip of Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty etc with Russian music and used Dying Swan (which of course is French music by Saint-Saëns) to illustrate what the artists were discussing but that can be forgiven. Yes, I think the Ukrainians could look into staging other composers  instead (episode 2) - Puccini, Verdi, Massenet, Strauss, Mozart, Janacek for opera, Romantic Era works (and Coppelia, The Two Pigeons, Sylvia in that in-between era) and Ashton/MacMillan/Neumeier/ Cranko/Kylian/Robbins/Ratmansky etc etc for ballet. So many other repertoire gems out there.

I don't know if Arte is a terrestrial channel in France but I do like their fsdcinating dance programmes.  Maybe this thread could be moved and named "Arte.tv " under "performances and discussions"?.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sky Arts has an unspecified Romeo and Juliet on on Monday, but since it's on at the civilised time of 8 pm I'm guessing it won't be ballet. OTOH, it may be being repeated at 6.20 the next morning ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alison said:

Sky Arts has an unspecified Romeo and Juliet on on Monday, but since it's on at the civilised time of 8 pm I'm guessing it won't be ballet. OTOH, it may be being repeated at 6.20 the next morning ...

I checked Sky Arts and it says it is from the National Theatre, so sadly I imagine not ballet.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Check your TV guides for confirmation, but it appears that we have a Bayadere tomorrow and a Swan Lake on Sunday (or possibly the other way around).  Both Sky Arts, both early morning.

• Like 2

My Sky guide says it's the Royal Ballet 2018 performance of Makarova's La Bayadere with Nunez, Muntagirov and Osipova on Saturday morning and 2014 recording of Nureyev's Swan Lake by the Vienna State Ballet (the one with Esina  and Shishov) on Sunday morning.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1