Turnout - some basic concepts

Anjuli_Bai

Yes, agreed. It is really informative and Anjuli writes so well. 

I love the way Anjuli_Bai writes as well

Hi PV! Haven't seen you post on here for a while. Hope all good with you and DD and she is looking forward to starting Tring CBA and YDA associates in September.

Also, DD's old teacher always said she didn't have much turnout but after changing ballet schools and some private lessons too, where she was taught the correct muscles to engage for turnout and some homework exercises to help with it, guess what she has almost got flat turnout now!

Edited by amos73

Thank you for posting this, it is very informative.

I recently posted started a post re what is turnout, I noticed my dd wasn't turning her feet a great deal at barre, despite her having a lot of natural hip turnout in box splits and I am still a little curious as to in ballet turnout the hip turnout required comes from a different place in the hip joint as obviously legs are positioned lower down while turned out in standing as oppose to straight out from hips ie in splits? I don't know if you can answer that question? Just out of total curiously really....

I have now realised in my dds case she sometimes forgets to turnout due to habit of working in parallel at gymnastics. I have also noticed on arabesques she does at home she doesn't turn her legs out despite this they look lovely as she has a lot of leg and back strength and flexibility, but if she does turnout they look even better as she can raise her leg much higher by opening her hip. I suspect she would do the same in leaps as it must be in her muscle memory.

She has improved from what she was so much over the past year. Her ballet teacher is fantastic I can be reassured she is not pushing past her limit and will never injure her knees in future by over turning out at the feet and not the hip, she is adamant she will never cheat her turnout. Everything she does is so well taught by such responsible and knowledgeable professional teachers, she is so lucky to have them guiding her.

She is looking forward to next term now and auditions, yikes, after a lovely summer off thank you again for this post.

Edited by Snowflake

Snowflake the majority of turnout comes from the hip but in standing, there is a certain amount of laxity in the knee and ankle joints that all add a little to what looks like the turnout at the feet. It is fine to use a few degrees from the knees and ankles, but never to force it due to strain on ligaments. Also, hip mobility is different in different 'planes' of movement. So depending on whether the leg is directly down from the hip (ie standing) or with flexion (or 'hinge') at the hip (ie lifted leg) or with flexion and abduction at the hip (ie lifted leg at the side) or even if the leg is lifted behind (ie in arabesque). All of these different directions will allow different amounts of natural movement so it's important to assess turnout in different positions. A dancer might appear to have 'flat turnout' in frog position or side splits (where the leg is in 'abduction' - ie at the side) but struggle to get that much turnout in standing positions, or with the gesture leg at the front.

• Like 3

I've always been taught that "turnout" is not a noun but a verb. 

That is, that "turn out" is not a thing or a quality or characteristic (or only partly), but that it is a process, and a dynamic movement. Hence the phrase "working your turnout."

Edited by Kate_N

Thank you so much drdance, so for example, my although my dd has 180 degrees turnout in her box splits, she may have amount that in standing position at the barre as the hip is in a different 'plane' of movement.

Dd always says she won't turnout more at the barre than she can when in the centre of the room without support of the barre, she is really strict with herself about form and such a sensible girl which I am thankful for as whether she is dancing recreationally or training to be a ballerina, she wouldn't want any knee injuries plaguing at any point x

Edited by Snowflake