Missing ballet through illness

charlie4dancin

Hi balletco

Thought I would post as we are struggling to keep dd positive through illness :( she has been unwell now since nov and has been unable to attend school and obviously dancing... She has had lots of admissions to hospital including most of this wk and she is getting really frustrated and very down... Her ballet teacher has been amazing sending her ballet DVD's to watch and the physio has now got her up and about on crutches as she has been unable to walk unsupported!!!

Any ideas to keep her motivated and give her a glimmer of hope would be appreciated as its proving to very frustrating!

Thanks for reading and lastly a thank you to justballet.co.uk for sending a lovely gift for dd she loves it ;)

Cxxx

• Like 3

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear she is so poorly. Is she well enough to get to a theatre to see a performance? If you contacted them and explained your situation, then maybe a backstage invite or similar treat might be offered. Hope she feels better soon.

• Like 1

Your poor dd :-(

Does she have the book "The Ballet Companion" by Eliza Gaynor Minden? As well as being a beautiful book with lots of interesting info (and pictures), there is a section on staying positive whilst ill or injured. It might be a nice book for your dd to dip into while she's off dance.

• Like 1

aww, your poor dd!! Couldn't she try something totally non-dance related, to take her mind off the fact that she can't dance? What about drawing, or (i know it sounds so old-fashioned, but I quite like it,) embroidery? You can make some lovely things with a piece of fabric, some thread and a needle, and it will keep her busy for quite a while! hope she is better soon xx

• Like 1

These are all lovely ideas. I am so sorry to hear how ill your daughter has been. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is so miserable being ill for even a short time, so this must be really tough. Let us know how things go. You can probably get hold of back copies of Dancing Times magazines if you contacted them. Maybe she could make a scrapbook of all the articles and pictures she loves. You can buy really lovely scrapbooks with stickers and other ways to decorate them. Hugs to you both xxx

• Like 2

so sorry to hear how poorly she has been and I hope your DD is on the mend.  I would echo the idea of craft for keeping her busy.  At DD's ballet summer school they always do some ballet themed craft work - little bags for hair accessories, shoes, paintings of ballerinas etc.  There must be a few things out there that she can pick up and put down depending on how she is feeling.  It sounds like your DD has a fantastic ballet teacher.  Get well hugs to DD from my DDs and myself and a big hug to you too as I imagine you need one just as much. xx

• Like 1

Like every one else on this forum,I am so sorry to hear of your DD`s continued health problems. When I`m on this forum I sometimes think of you and your DD and wonder how things are,so I bet I`m not the only one.!! Big hugs to you and your DD and hope she fully recovers soon.xx

• Like 1

Would your DD be interested in getting an old pair of her pointe shoes and decorating them? You can colour them in with Sharpies pens and the colours don`t run.Or  sewing on nice [non ballet] ribbons of different colours.Using sequins and glitter, and sticking on coloured diamantes. Etc. If she doesn`t want to "mess up" her old pointe shoes,there is a company on the internet,I think called Discount Pointe or something like that.They sell pointe shoes at £5 a pair and they would be ideal for doing something craft related .

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that you dancer is so poorly. I have tried to pm you but it says you can not receive any more messages. Apart from keeping
your daughter’s spirits up, it is a very worrying and stressful time for you too I am sure and I send my best wishes and thoughts to you and your family.

I think Jack Widdowson is also a truly inspiring person. There are I am sure lots you can do,such as the little things that all help with dance. Many people on here are much better informed than I am and could perhaps offer some ‘little steps’ you could take. I am thinking about things like strengthening feet with flexibands, watching the grade dvd's so you know the music, exercises and the terminology really well ready for returning. Have a look at the Prix de Lausanne finals, they are short solo's. Choose a favourite solo or variation that you particularly like and learn it in your head. Watch it so you can imagine yourself dancing the part. Learn some basis music theory. Look at costume designs/stage design and design some of your own. Some gentle swimming and later on start thinking of cardiovascular activities, use of a cross trainer, static bike, I imagine a physio could advise with these. Even if it is only for 30seconds initially! Small steps and above all make a mental note or even write on the calendar that day’s achievements; however small. My advice would be for your daughter listen to her body.Today I got up. Today I got up and I had a shower. Today I read a page of a book. So hard I know, but try to look for the positives you achieve and then you will find it easier to stay more positive. Look after you, where you are now and build from there. I wonder whether timetabling 'dance related activities' into the day in a few little blocks, a bit like the timings that one attends dance classes, then this way the whole day isn't about dance and those periods are about the positive steps she is doing towards a return to dance and filling gaps in the meantime. Not sure if that makes sense! But, Good luck and very best wishes.

Edited by ELee
  • Like 3

I am sorry to read how poorly your dd has been.I don't know how old she is. When my niece's daughter was ill for some time, I sent her modelling clay. There are lots of fairly inexpensive kits for all sorts of crafts, but they are for under tens, I would say. I do hope she recovers very soon.

• Like 1

Hi C4d, so sorry 2 hear your dd is under par. What a rotten time your both having :-(. Still they do say the bad times make us appreciate the good and you're certainly due some of those soon :-)

At 11 my dd used to love those puzzle books so they may be useful to keep her brain active whilst her body recovers.

Wishing your dd a speedy and full recovery.

• Like 1

Just to wish your daughter a speedy recovery Charlie4dancing, onwards and upwards for your daughter I hope. The only suggestion that I would make is that in a few weeks take her to see a ballet performance as that will give her something to look forward to. I would probably just have her ballet friends around her regularly because at least she can keep the social side of dancing going, which is important at this age.

• Like 1

Mean't to add, sorry you dd is so poorly, sending her lots of get well vibes along the World Wide Web!

Had one suggestion to keep her occupied, how about teaching her to darn her own point shoes or soft blocks and sew on the ribbons (if she doesn't already know) Takes me hours so am thinking of teaching my dd (same age as yours I think) to do her own!

xx

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ballet co...

We are getting ready to go to the theatre to see Birmingham Royal Ballet perform Aladdin ;) DD's first proper look out since becoming unwell last November... I am slightly nervous about it all going smoothly, getting parked and walking with crutches to the theatre and her having a long evening!!

I'm sure it will be worth it ;)

Cx

• Like 10