Bolshoi Ballet: La Bayadère, London 2013

There was a brilliant loss of wig for Antonio Savichev's Magedaveya.

Ha! He recovered it well though! (literally and artistically!). Such a wonderful performance by him in fact. I really loved the power of the male temple dancers (not sure what they are called - the ones in long black wigs).

Can I just add; blacked up performers of any kind are a total no in my view and have no place in any performance. The young dancers today were wonderfully well rehearsed and danced brilliantly - their dancing was a joy to watch. Their make up was not...

• Like 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one little thing that surprised me today -  Evgenia O. was wearing noticeably tatty, frayed pointe shoes for the first two acts (third act being 'white' saw her change to a fresh pair).  I'd always assumed they'd have a new pair per performance, or at least a new-looking pair - or so the 'pointe shoe appeal' would have me believe! 

The ladies break in their pointe shoes to ensure as much comfort as possible during a performance.  I often think they look tatty, caused by what I understand they can do to them to break them in - eg with hammers and cutting off the satin at the tip to give more grip.

First the sad news:  I've heard via a source close to Alexandrova that it was in fact a ruptured achilles tendon that she suffered in the accident on Friday night.  This makes entire sense with reference to the aforementioned 'click'.  Also I understand Ms. Alexandrova is now safely (one trusts) ensconced back in 'the homeland', e.g., Moscow, Russia.  I'm certain we ALL send this fine artist our best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.  She will be much missed during the Bolshoi's 2013 London season.  (I very much hope that the Bolshoi have the kind consideration to update their replacement casting on their website - as they have done thus far.  As we know the ROH/Hochhausers do not extend the same courtesy.  Now of course they have even less incentive being aware as they must be that ALL the seats to the entire Bolshoi London 2013 season are sold out.  It is for this reason I'm sure that the pregnant/absent Kaptsova is STILL showing on the ROH site as dancing Aurora on Monday evening.)

Now for much happier news.  I agree that that Obraztsova was generally fine this afternoon as Nikiya and that Volchkov was much improved in relation to his rather sorry state during the Bolshoi's opening in Swan Lake this past Monday.  I also thought Anastasia Stashkevich particularly charming in the Manu variation.  Indeed she was - as appropriate - most endearing.  HOWEVER ... and it comes with a fairly major BUT ... THIS EVENING WIPED THE ALL SAD MEMORIES OF THE EVENING BEFORE OR EVEN THE SHAKY OPENING ON MONDAY FROM ONE'S MIND.   'How so?' you quite rightly enquire.  Well, the entirety of this performance was of another dimension altogether.  Basically it can be summed up in two words:  OLGA SMIRNOVA. 

Smirnova is possessed both of an BY a supreme epaulement as well as almond eyes a la Rita Hayworth.  Need I say more? ... I will.  Her perfume is as exotic as it rare and I pray you have the opportunity to sample it.  PLEASE:  Beg, borrow or STEAL a ticket if you have to ... erm ... can.  I promise you you will feel it both worthy and worthwhile.  One thing I DO know:  If Balanchine were now alive this young 22 year old would be in New York: NO QUESTION: NONE.  Smirnova was BUILT for the fourth movement of BRAHMS SCHOENBERG or LA SOURCE.  She is ENTIRELY bewitching and her finely etched Nikiya was this evening magically (for the large part) transported/partnered by the equally sensitive, strong and enchanted Semyon Chudin as Solar.  There is no question but he is the best male principal dancer seen with the Bolshoi this time round ... at least in my estimation.  So, let's be generous and make the summation a full four word folly. :)  There is I now find hope for our DIAMONDS after all, mjosh.  Praise be to God and his Smirnova/Chudin combo.  The audience understandably erupted in a fashion they have not heretofore done at the five Bolshoi performances I have been privileged to attend so far on this 2013 visit.  .  

A final word for Igor Tsvirko once again.  While his golden idol would not I fear entirely wipe away the memory of Vasiliev's (whose could I wonder?) it came enriched by a much longer lyrical line given the fine frame of this sensitive dancer.  He too enraptured all and I was especially moved to note that after he had taken his own much deserved curtain call at the end of Act II, he very briefly paused on his way back to his established rank to compliment the two British girls who had danced aside Anna Rebetskaya's magical Manu that evening.  I doubt few in the audience noticed this but the breadth of those young ladies' smiles in response to his momentary comment obviously ensured that this was a new highlight in their Bolshoi experience.  Bless you, Igor. While your idol may have been - and was - golden it was your humanity that made your person especially telling for me.  It's a very special trait.    

Still, let it be called from the rafters:  OLGA IS PROUDLY - NEIGH RIPELY - BOLSHOI ... Let the Balletcoforum family big up Smirnova!!!   Certainly I will happily join in, as I did tonight, with those cries of 'BRAVA' .... BRAVISSIMA!!   

What a change a day can make.   :) 

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 3

Smirnova, Chudin and Krysanova offered an exceptional performance tonight :D .  They had shown their warmth and passion, and true love to the Solar, unlike the frosty Ms Z on Friday.  Usually, Gamzatti is a rather nasty role, Krysanova made it innocent and passionate.  Smirnova's natural elegance reminds me seeing Uliana Loptikina danced Nikiya in 2011. Very happy that Bolshoi has gone back to its usual standard at tonight's performance :D  :D

• Like 2

I'm too tired to post anything much at the moment, but I saw the 3 performances and happily each one got better, so many exciting dancers new to me, but Olga Smirnova was out of this world, for once all the hype was lived up to and surpassed :)

• Like 2

Hooray, I'm glad to hear that the Bolshoi has finally delivered that special thing they can be so good at :)

And checking my remaining tickets, I have actually booked for the Smirnova/Chudin Swan Lake and my only Jewels ticket is for the night she is on. Looks like my slightly random approach to buying tickets might finally pay off.

• Like 2

Last night, the conductor played the arasbesque shades scene so fast he must have wanted an early night! This spoiled the beauty of this scene for me. I've never heard the tempo so fast, having watched the Royal Ballet's and Mariinsky's productions.

I saw the matinee, not impressed it was an 'OK' performance the only star for me being Anna Tikhimorova.  She was great.  As for Obratsova well in Act 3 she stumbled out of her pirouettes about 4 times I was really surprised...not really acceptable for a principal of the Bolshoi.  The shades were messy -under rehearsed - when in lines down the stage sides, they did not lift arms/legs in time and it looked a bit of a shambles from high up...they could take a lesson in timing and straight lines from Sofia National Ballet who recently toured and it was woefully poor compared to the Mariinsky when they did Bayadere THAT was beautiful.  I then went to see Carlos and Co in the evening.... what a joy total opposite end of the spectrum!  

Looking forward to seeing Smirnova in Diamonds and I wonder who will replace Maria Alexandrova for Swan Lake...I live in hope??!!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

If you want to see where the accident took place with Alexandrova, please pull through to 2.23 on the following filmed clip of the cinema release performance with the same principal Bolshoi cast:  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nkNcLy-Pzbk  She feel from her full jete prep to the floor of the stage landing on her foot.  Lantratov may well have accidentally been out of placement on the cross.  Certainly she indicated by her immediate glare that she had been hit and understandably looked to be in shock.  You can imagine what was seen by the ROH audience by removing the principal couple thereafter in your imagination and entirely cutting (again understandably) Gamzatti's variation.

I have been following this discussion with interest, as I am unable to go to any of the performances this time around.  I watched the video clip as well.  I know we have had discussions about this before, but I know that they always used to have understudies who could be brought on at a few minutes notice at the RB.  They just don't seem to do that any more, and I don't know why. I  understand about last trains home, running times and so on.  However, I remember when I first started going as a child, on a couple of occasions somebody being injured, and the understudy coming on wearing warm up clothing and completing the appropriate section, and then getting into costume at the first available opportunity. 

On a slightly different subject, in the link above, I watched the appropriate piece, but I couldn't help noticing that one of the other links Youtube threw up was a complete recording of the 1994 Sleeping Beauty from the RB, which I just had to dip into.   Wonderful!  And not completely off topic, as the Bolshoi are doing The Sleeping Beauty ......!

Edited by Fonteyn22

I saw the matinee, not impressed it was an 'OK' performance the only star for me being Anna Tikhimorova.  She was great.  As for Obratsova well in Act 3 she stumbled out of her pirouettes about 4 times I was really surprised...not really acceptable for a principal of the Bolshoi.  The shades were messy -under rehearsed - when in lines down the stage sides, they did not lift arms/legs in time and it looked a bit of a shambles from high up...they could take a lesson in timing and straight lines from Sofia National Ballet who recently toured and it was woefully poor compared to the Mariinsky when they did Bayadere THAT was beautiful.  I then went to see Carlos and Co in the evening.... what a joy total opposite end of the spectrum!  

Looking forward to seeing Smirnova in Diamonds and I wonder who will replace Maria Alexandrova for Swan Lake...I live in hope??!!

The Bolshoi "Shades" could also take a big lesson from the RB's "Shades", as seen in their recent La Bayadere run! They were stunning and the scene was danced to perfection at all 5 performances I watched. 

I saw the Friday evening performance (Zakharova/Alexandrova/Lantratov) and the Saturday evening performance (Smirnova/Krysanova/Chudin) and here are my unfiltered and unorganised thoughts :)

- Igor Tsvirko (friday as Magedaveya, the fakir and saturday as the Golden Idol) just steals the show when he is on stage. Moments literally stop when he jumps in the air. He dances his roles with such a passion that you just cannot detach your eyes from him.

- I won't spend more time on the Alexandrova accident. It looks like Lantratov misjudged the distance and hit her foot mid air (he glanced right at him with anger just as it happened) Poor Maria, she was brilliant in the first Act. Unlike what Meunier thinks, I think it was with great professionalism then the company kept the story rolling to appear the most seamless. The dance (and the music) always has to go on, used to say my ballet teacher.

- I experienced two very different Nikiyas and I tend to come back to Zakharova (although I don't necessarily love everything about her moves). But I found her musicality outstanding, raising her foot until the last bit of the violin arch. I preferred Zakharova's version of the dance at the fire (her arms are so expressive). Smirnova was doing something with her neck/shoulder that I was finding disturbing. When Zakharova started that dance in Act I, the room went silent, as if people had stopped breathing. 

Smirnova's version of Nikiya is less mature, more sexy, less desperate in her agony. I have to admit I was a little unsettled on friday after Alexandrova's accident to fully 'feel' Nikiya's death, but I found Zakharova's death more desperate and poignant.

In Act III, Smirnova was however superb.

- Ekaterina Krysanova was perfect in Gamzatti, all powerful dancing in all the role's very demanding variations. She is a delight to watch.

• Like 1

The Bolshoi "Shades" could also take a big lesson from the RB's "Shades", as seen in their recent La Bayadere run! They were stunning and the scene was danced to perfection at all 5 performances I watched. 

Errr I agree the RB shades were good but "the Bolshoi shades could take a big lesson" from them ? I really don't see that at all.

Briefly on the performances ..... I watched all three and I'm far more positive than some posters here.

The opening night obviously suffered from the unfortunate accident to Alexandrova - I have heard that there was no contact between her and Lantratov, her achilles tendon just snapped. Over the three performances, I saw some wonderful dancing at all levels of the company. Yes there have been small wobbles such as Obraztsova's scarf scene mentioned by a poster above but I found that a minor distraction in an otherwise excellent performance from her. Lantratov has a fine stage presence and is a fabulous dancer. His Act 3 variation was terrific, extraordinary height on his assembles (?) and panther light landings. Smirova has to be seen to be believed, she was exquisite - Sarah Crompton has just published her review 5*. I could go on and on Zakharova, Chudin, Tikhomirova, Krysanova, Stashkevich, Khoklova, Alizade.

Unlike the Bolshoi Swan Lake I love this production and I much prefer ending with the shades scene as Jann Parry notes in her excellent review for Dance Tabs.

My only gripe is that they didn't schedule more than three performances of Bayadere.

• Like 2

I saw the matinee performance and for me it was so-so. Some bits were really good, namely the scene between Nikiya and Gamzatti, everything Gamzatti did and the three shades all danced well but for me the ballet never really got off the ground and sparkled. The dancing was lovely overall, don't get me wrong, but I felt it never really got going and I prefer the version the RB use with the final act at the temple, the story seems more finished. 

• Like 1

Smirnova was fantastic last night, beautiful in acts one and two.

But from where I was sitting she had some real technical wobbles in act three, not holding positions or falling out of them. Lots of grabbing chudin

But her acting ability was amazing. She cited vishneva as her inspiration in an article and that really came through

While I tend to agree with all the compliments paid above, I do not (yet) feel the sense of excitement about the Bolshoi in 2013 that I have experienced in the past. I don't think that it was simply that Irek Mukhamedov, Ludmila Semenyaka and Nina Ananiashvili blew us away in the 80s; there seemed, then, to be something magical about the company as a whole which held us in thrall and carried us - well me at least - through the 90s and 00s.

I expect that there are others who would say that the Vasiliev/Maximova era (Vladimir, I mean!) cannot be bettered. And I know that there are those who are missing the Osipova/Vasiliev factor this time around.

Anyway, despite my reservations I look forward to 'getting to know' and watching Olga Smirnova over the next 2 weeks and in the years to come. She seems to have that 'special something' which lifts not only a performance but the company itself.

• Like 3

So I joined this forum to keep up with this (not sure if I'm supposed to introduce myself or what, but hi anyway).

I was at the Lantratov/Zakharova/Alexandrova performance on Friday, and actually loved it. Obviously Alexandrova's injury was very unfortunate, as she was by far the best dancer and actress in Act I (and to echo someone else's sentiments, I also did not see any collision, but I suppose that doesn't really matter any more. I hope she recovers quickly!). I must say the orchestra was absolutely amazing in dealing with this, and played perfectly throughout the entire ballet (and did anyone witness the conductors embarrassment in the final curtain call? When he kept trying to grab one of the shades hand?  :lol: ).

I also loved Lantratov, especially in act III. And although Svetlana brings in mixed reviews I found her Act II solo absolutely mesmerising (her act III was okay, but I didn't feel as much from her as I did from Lantratov).

And I know that there are those who are missing the Osipova/Vasiliev factor this time around.

Aren't Osipova/Vasiliev performing in the flames of Paris though?? Towards the end of August? I seem to recall their tickets sold out very quickly...

• Like 2

Aren't Osipova/Vasiliev performing in the flames of Paris though?? Towards the end of August? I seem to recall their tickets sold out very quickly...

Yes, they are - on the penultimate day. But some people have commented that it might have been a good idea to put them on earlier in the run. I disagree but have to admit that they got the Mikhailovsky season off to a flying start.

• Like 1

Some time ago I thought I saw somewhere on this Forum a cast list with David Hallberg dancing possibly just one performance. My memory says its next tuesday in the Sleeping Beauty but now can't find ant evidence of this so did I imagine this does anyone know?

^ edited to add that your memory is correct. According to the roh website he's dancing tuesday the 6th in the Sleeping Beauty with Zakharova (and Smirnova as the lilac fairy).

Capybara:  I see! I agree with you to a point, because I don't think it would have made much of a difference to other performances.  I do remember being a bit surprised they were only scheduled to dance one performance though...

Welcome to the Forum, Sylph! Many thanks for posting, and please do keep 'em coming.

Thank you!  :D

Edited by sylph
  • Like 1

So I joined this forum to keep up with this (not sure if I'm supposed to introduce myself or what, but hi anyway).

I was at the Lantratov/Zakharova/Alexandrova performance on Friday, and actually loved it.... I found her [svetlana Zakharova] Act II solo absolutely mesmerising....

Very glad to hear this.  

Edited by Buddy

I’m afraid I can’t review with eloquence of Meunier or the expertise of the others but I was at both Les Bayadères yesterday and jolly good they were. On first watching it took awhile to get to grips with the first act as the storyline didn’t really seem to come out, on the second watch I enjoyed it much more. The second act and the third act were both superb. Fantastic dancing throughout and the shades were sublime, to me they looked pretty much perfect with some very minor wobbles in the matinee performance but only if you’re really picky!

The Manu/water jug dance was great fun with the two young water girls very entertaining and talented. The dancing throughout was amazing and I’ll be buying the Blu Ray to watch it again. But from a choreography/costume/acting point of view I thought Gamzatti was a bit to Princess Aurora-like rather than the wicked Princess I expect from watching Miss Nunez who for me is the definitive Gamzatti.

I did like the Bolshoi ending though with the shade of Nikiya fading away high up on the ramps (the four ramps were also an excellent feature for the entrance of the shades). I did mentally add on the Royal Ballet ending in my minds eye to get closure!

• Like 1

I saw the matinee, not impressed it was an 'OK' performance the only star for me being Anna Tikhimorova.  She was great.  As for Obratsova well in Act 3 she stumbled out of her pirouettes about 4 times I was really surprised...not really acceptable for a principal of the Bolshoi.  The shades were messy -under rehearsed - when in lines down the stage sides, they did not lift arms/legs in time and it looked a bit of a shambles from high up...

Yes, I had reservations about the performance, too: enjoyed most of it, but like you was rather disappointed in the third act.  There were certainly a lot fewer wobbles in the performances by the RB corps a few months ago that I saw, and as you say Obratsova wasn't having the best of times.  I *did* like her in the second act, though.

I did like the Bolshoi ending though with the shade of Nikiya fading away high up on the ramps (the four ramps were also an excellent feature for the entrance of the shades). I did mentally add on the Royal Ballet ending in my minds eye to get closure!

Totally invisible from the back of the amphi, alas.  I did manage to count the four ramps, but could only see ankles on the top one (or maybe the second one).  It would have been even worse if they'd been at the Coliseum, though.  It was good to see 32 Shades - where the staging permitted this.

I'm going to have to radically disagree with the comments regarding Olga Smirnova; with her rapid ascent to stardom within the company I was expecting a lot (too much?) but found little to admire in her performance.  She has a particular unattractive port de bras with her arms marring her line again and again, in fact her general epaulement was rather poor and in slow turns her back seemed almost to contort, she's not the most musical of dancers either.  nor did her personality project much.  I believe this dancer hasn't climbed the ranks like other Bolshoi principals but has simply been handed all the leading roles on a plate which makes me wonder why.

At the same performance Krysanova gave the most satisfying performance of the evening and the Shades, particularly Chinara Alizade, were near faultless.  I was enjoying Mr Chudin's performance very much until he omitted the double assembles in the last act, why was that I wonder?

Comparing Bolshoi seasons?  The 70's gave us Maximova, V. Vasiliev, Bessmertnova, Lavrovsky and M.Liepa.  The 80's & 90's Ananishvili, Semenyaka, A. Liepa, Mukhamedov and Taranda.  The 00's Alexandrova, Osipova, Tsiskaridze and I. Vasiliev.  Losing Osipova and I. Vasiliev was idiocy in my view and although I believe there is talent galore within the company ranks, there has to be a question mark as to how some of that talent is being nurtured.

• Like 1

Comparing Bolshoi seasons?  The 70's gave us Maximova, V. Vasiliev, Bessmertnova, Lavrovsky and M.Liepa.  The 80's & 90's Ananishvili, Semenyaka, A. Liepa, Mukhamedov and Taranda.  The 00's Alexandrova, Osipova, Tsiskaridze and I. Vasiliev.  Losing Osipova and I. Vasiliev was idiocy in my view and although I believe there is talent galore within the company ranks, there has to be a question mark as to how some of that talent is being nurtured.

Sorry removed this.  My writing is too wordy and I don't have time to slim it down.  As my mother would have said: 'If I had more time I would have written a shorter letter.'  Letters?? Ah, yes, I am that old!!!

Edited by Meunier

I'm going to have to radically disagree with the comments regarding Olga Smirnova; with her rapid ascent to stardom within the company I was expecting a lot (too much?) but found little to admire in her performance.  She has a particular unattractive port de bras with her arms marring her line again and again, in fact her general epaulement was rather poor and in slow turns her back seemed almost to contort, she's not the most musical of dancers either.  nor did her personality project much.  I believe this dancer hasn't climbed the ranks like other Bolshoi principals but has simply been handed all the leading roles on a plate which makes me wonder why.

At the same performance Krysanova gave the most satisfying performance of the evening and the Shades, particularly Chinara Alizade, were near faultless.  I was enjoying Mr Chudin's performance very much until he omitted the double assembles in the last act, why was that I wonder?

MAB, it is so interesting to read such differing perceptions of the same dancer! Both Ismene Brown and Sarah Crompton think that Smirnova is wonderful and is going to be a world star very soon....see Today's Links.

• Like 1

Smirnova was fantastic last night, beautiful in acts one and two.

But from where I was sitting she had some real technical wobbles in act three, not holding positions or falling out of them. Lots of grabbing chudin

But her acting ability was amazing. She cited vishneva as her inspiration in an article and that really came through

Sitting in row B orchestra stalls, I could see everything mentioned above very well. In particular, Smirnova couldn't hold her turn out in développé a la seconde as Chudin promenaded her, probably a consequence of too high an extension. Rotation of her leg inward looked so ugly it made me wince. It's something I would not expect of a dancer in a Bolshoi principal role.

Regarding her acting, she was a few degrees warmer than the icy Zachorova but could have defrosted a little more and showed more joy and warmth towards Solor in Act 1...whilst she still had something to be happy about.

Nevertheless, I was pleased to see this talented cast, especially Filin's protégé, the magnificent Seymon Chudin. After one of his astoundingly executed variations, my partner turned to me and exclaimed, "Chudin' hell!", meant in the most complimentary of ways. :-)

A comparison that interests me very much is the somewhat parallel rising to stardom of Olga Smirnova and Oxana Skorik. I'll begin by saying that I like Oxana Skorik very much and think that she may actually carry the Mariinsky banner especially for *Refinement* as well as many other remarkable qualities. Olga Smirnova, although schooled at the Mariinsky's Vaganova is looking much more Expressive these days, perhaps a Bolshoi characteristic.

Both are quite young, especially Olga Smirnova. Both I think are *Remarkably Talented*, which will hopefully show more and more. I continue to wonder what Olga Smirnova would be like if she had stayed at the Mariinsky and been given the opportunities that the Bolshoi is giving her. I also wonder if we're eventually going to see a sort of Galina Ulanova/Maya Plisetskaya 'duality' occurring between Oxana Skorik and Olga Smirnova. How will Olga Smirnova balance her much praised ability to fuse the Mariinsky and Bolshoi basics? I think that it will be fascinating to watch.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

I saw both Saturday Bayaderes but before commenting on them specifically I would like to make a few observations on the season and the production.

At the risk of repeating myself, for me this is the least attractive Bolshoi season since I first started seeing them in 1999 in terms of repertoire. I know many ballet enthusiasts like seeing different productions of the Tchaikovsky ballets but when I see the Russian companies I like seeing rep. I wouldn't normally see such as Raymonda, Spartacus, Don Q, Bright Stream or Pharoah's daugher. Previous Bolshoi seasons provided several of these wonderful ballets. Then there are ballets such as Esmerelda and Lost Illusions which we haven't seen at all here. I know the programme has to be balanced and provide a mix of well known and not so well known productions but I think this years season has an imbalance of too many Tchaikovsky performances (though as the season has sold out completely what do I know!!). I can understand them bringing Sleeping Beauty as it is a new production and seems very spectacular. But I do think there has been too many performances of Swan lake. it would have been great to have a couple less days of this and 2 days of any of the above. I am also surprised they started the season with Swan lake as their production was not popular with the critics last time it was shown and even though I think there have been revisions, reviews were still not very enthusiastic. I would have thought it better to start with Sleeping Beauty. I agree with the previous poster who says this years season has lacked some of the excitement of previous seasons and I think this is partly at least due to the unadventurous rep. but perhaps also due to the fact that a younger generation is coming through the ranks and it takes time to get to know them. I was in London all last week but only attended performances on Saturday. Living in Lancashire it was disappointing to be there and only attend a couple of performances. When Pharoah's Daughter and even more so, Bright Stream, were debuted here there was real excitement. I also well remember the excitement generated by Osipova's first performance in Don Q and, the following year, her debut in the ballet with Vasiliev. This was also the same year as Carlos' Spartacus and then there was Vasiliv's Spartacus; also exciting. Smirnova could be the dancer providing this year's excitement. I saw her Bayadere and thought she was terrific. it brought back memories of Altynai in the role. Rep. wise there is only Flames that has excited me as I have never seen it live; only the dvd. I'm pleased by the news that Osipova and Vasiliev are dancing both the Friday and Saturday evenings though I'm really sorry for the reason behind it and hope Alexandrova makes a full recovery. She will be sadly missed. Incidentally, what has happened to the wonderful Andre Merkuriv this season? I assume he has been pidgeon holed as a character dancer and as this year there are more classical ballets this is why he hasn't featured much yet. I hope he is in at least one of the Flames performances. I heard he may be in Rubies but I'm not attending Jewels.

To get back to Bayadere. I thought there were pros and cons with this production. I did like the early solos for Gamzatti as I felt it established her character more firmly. However, I was slightly puzzled by the alteration in time for the slave pas de deux. In other productions it is after the rajah had announced the 'betrothal' of Solor and Gamzattii and it is a sort of celebration with Solor usually trying to hide behind a pillar and pretend he's not there! Having it before the introduction of Solor and Gamzatti seemed to remove it's point but perhaps there is a reason for this I'm not aware of.

I am firmly with the previous posters who want the removal of blacked up children from the production. Keep the children if you must but remove the blacking though they are still an unnecessary distraction from the bronze idol dance. They danced beautifully and it must be a real thrill for them but I don't really think they are necessary.

I was disappointed that the procession in the betrothal act was done in front of the backcloth when they had such a wonderful set to process through. it was also disappointing not to have an elephant for Solor! I was puzzled as to why the Fakir and not Gamzatti's maid, gave the basket of flowers to Nikia. I thought he was meant to be on Solor's side or did he not realise what was in it?

I thought the Satuday matinee performance was ok but still not very exciting. For me it was the evening performance which was really inspiring.The dancing seemed to me to be of a very high standard, especially Smirnova. I enjoyed Chudin's performance but would like to see him again before committing myself to definately seeing his performances.  I was thrilled we had 32 shades and nor 24; Markarova take note! if the Bolshoi can get 32 shades on the ROH stage why can't the Royal Ballet? I liked the 4 levels on the processing ramp though it looked difficult to negotiate. All principals were excellent and special mention to Denis Medvedov, one of my favourite dancers, who gave an inspired Indian dance, throwing and catching his drum as if he does nothing else. After a week the excitement has arrived!!             Joan

• Like 2

I saw both Saturday Bayaderes but before commenting on them specifically I would like to make a few observations on the season and the production.

At the risk of repeating myself, for me this is the least attractive Bolshoi season since I first started seeing them in 1999 in terms of repertoire. I know many ballet enthusiasts like seeing different productions of the Tchaikovsky ballets but when I see the Russian companies I like seeing rep. I wouldn't normally see such as Raymonda, Spartacus, Don Q, Bright Stream or Pharoah's daugher. Previous Bolshoi seasons provided several of these wonderful ballets. Then there are ballets such as Esmerelda and Lost Illusions which we haven't seen at all here. I know the programme has to be balanced and provide a mix of well known and not so well known productions but I think this years season has an imbalance of too many Tchaikovsky performances (though as the season has sold out completely what do I know!!). I can understand them bringing Sleeping Beauty as it is a new production and seems very spectacular. But I do think there has been too many performances of Swan lake. it would have been great to have a couple less days of this and 2 days of any of the above. I am also surprised they started the season with Swan lake as their production was not popular with the critics last time it was shown and even though I think there have been revisions, reviews were still not very enthusiastic. I would have thought it better to start with Sleeping Beauty. I agree with the previous poster who says this years season has lacked some of the excitement of previous seasons and I think this is partly at least due to the unadventurous rep. but perhaps also due to the fact that a younger generation is coming through the ranks and it takes time to get to know them. I was in London all last week but only attended performances on Saturday. Living in Lancashire it was disappointing to be there and only attend a couple of performances. When Pharoah's Daughter and even more so, Bright Stream, were debuted here there was real excitement. I also well remember the excitement generated by Osipova's first performance in Don Q and, the following year, her debut in the ballet with Vasiliev. This was also the same year as Carlos' Spartacus and then there was Vasiliv's Spartacus; also exciting. Smirnova could be the dancer providing this year's excitement. I saw her Bayadere and thought she was terrific. it brought back memories of Altynai in the role. Rep. wise there is only Flames that has excited me as I have never seen it live; only the dvd. I'm pleased by the news that Osipova and Vasiliev are dancing both the Friday and Saturday evenings though I'm really sorry for the reason behind it and hope Alexandrova makes a full recovery. She will be sadly missed. Incidentally, what has happened to the wonderful Andre Merkuriv this season? I assume he has been pidgeon holed as a character dancer and as this year there are more classical ballets this is why he hasn't featured much yet. I hope he is in at least one of the Flames performances. I heard he may be in Rubies but I'm not attending Jewels.

To get back to Bayadere. I thought there were pros and cons with this production. I did like the early solos for Gamzatti as I felt it established her character more firmly. However, I was slightly puzzled by the alteration in time for the slave pas de deux. In other productions it is after the rajah had announced the 'betrothal' of Solor and Gamzattii and it is a sort of celebration with Solor usually trying to hide behind a pillar and pretend he's not there! Having it before the introduction of Solor and Gamzatti seemed to remove it's point but perhaps there is a reason for this I'm not aware of.

I am firmly with the previous posters who want the removal of blacked up children from the production. Keep the children if you must but remove the blacking though they are still an unnecessary distraction from the bronze idol dance. They danced beautifully and it must be a real thrill for them but I don't really think they are necessary.

I was disappointed that the procession in the betrothal act was done in front of the backcloth when they had such a wonderful set to process through. it was also disappointing not to have an elephant for Solor! I was puzzled as to why the Fakir and not Gamzatti's maid, gave the basket of flowers to Nikia. I thought he was meant to be on Solor's side or did he not realise what was in it?

I thought the Satuday matinee performance was ok but still not very exciting. For me it was the evening performance which was really inspiring.The dancing seemed to me to be of a very high standard, especially Smirnova. I enjoyed Chudin's performance but would like to see him again before committing myself to definately seeing his performances.  I was thrilled we had 32 shades and nor 24; Markarova take note! if the Bolshoi can get 32 shades on the ROH stage why can't the Royal Ballet? I liked the 4 levels on the processing ramp though it looked difficult to negotiate. All principals were excellent and special mention to Denis Medvedov, one of my favourite dancers, who gave an inspired Indian dance, throwing and catching his drum as if he does nothing else. After a week the excitement has arrived!!             Joan

Enjoyed your post, particulary the mention of the superlative Altynai.  I only saw her dance once in Bayadere and thought I had gone to heaven.  The only thing that compares for me is the opening night of Mayerling this year when Edward Watson gave the performance of his life - almost equalled by the last performance of Cojocaru and Kobborg which I was also privileged to see.

Reading the Bolshoi reviews it would seem things are not as they should be.  I have a ticket for Jewels next Tuesday - I hope it will be worth it.

Smirnova clearly does have an amazing future, It's just how her technique is allowed to develop fast enough to keep pace with the roles she's being given.

People seem to be saying obraztsova was on poor form on sat. Am supposed to be seeing her in sleeping beauty. Were her pirouette falls an injury or the role or what?

Edited by Dancefan