News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Don't worry, Angela ... I've found all the info I need now.  Thanks so.  I know in the past they used to issue all tickets immediately - but - new this year - they are holding them to 11th June (it's in my diary) ... and the Nijinksy Gala is by mail lottery with a requirement that the letter has to be received between specific dates in September.  

Good luck getting tix for the Nijinsky Gala. Did you find these instructions:

For the "Nijinsky Gala" 2019 : Inquiries will be accepted between September 24 and September 28, 2018, exclusively by post (only postage-stamped letters) to the following address : Hamburg State Opera, ticket service / gala order, PO Box 302448, 20308 Hamburg. Telephone or personal delivery of orders, bookings on the Internet or purchase at the box office are not possible. The inquiries received during this period will be processed in the order as delivered to us by the post office. Please give legible (illegible inquiries can not be considered) name, address, if necessary customer number, number and desired price category of the ticket/ s (maximum 2 tickets per customer and household) and choose between the payment by direct debit or credit card. Enter your bank details or credit card details including the expiry date and security code. Inquiries for the Nijinsky Gala, which had to be turned down last year, will be given priority when requested again when they reach us during the mentioned period. As of October 29, 2018, only those who receive a positive commitment will be notified.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Angela said:

And here is the new season at Hamburg Ballet:

http://www.hamburgballett.de/downloads/vorschau/vorschau_ballett_18_19.pdf?m=1522138788& /

(Download for the season brochure)

The premieres are a Balanchine evening with Brahms/Schönberg Quartet and Liebeslieder Walzer, then Neumeier will create a new ballet after Tennessee Williams's The Glass Menagerie (he already made a ballet of A Streetcar Named Desire in 1983). No changes in the roster, as far as I can see. 

Here is a very useful PDF calendar of Hamburg 18/19 performances - love this very handy all one page - German efficiency of course!

https://www.hamburgballett.de/downloads/kalender/spielzeit_18_19.pdf

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, toursenlair said:

Good luck getting tix for the Nijinsky Gala. Did you find these instructions:

For the "Nijinsky Gala" 2019 : Inquiries will be accepted between September 24 and September 28, 2018, exclusively by post (only postage-stamped letters) to the following address : Hamburg State Opera, ticket service / gala order, PO Box 302448, 20308 Hamburg. Telephone or personal delivery of orders, bookings on the Internet or purchase at the box office are not possible. The inquiries received during this period will be processed in the order as delivered to us by the post office. Please give legible (illegible inquiries can not be considered) name, address, if necessary customer number, number and desired price category of the ticket/ s (maximum 2 tickets per customer and household) and choose between the payment by direct debit or credit card. Enter your bank details or credit card details including the expiry date and security code. Inquiries for the Nijinsky Gala, which had to be turned down last year, will be given priority when requested again when they reach us during the mentioned period. As of October 29, 2018, only those who receive a positive commitment will be notified.

Most forbidding!

• Like 1

Well, I'm sure we can rely on the good old Royal Mail/[insert whatever your national postal service is] to make sure the letters get there on time ;_.  Mind you, depending on what the dates are, I wouldn't trust even Deutsche Post to get them there on time - but perhaps they've improved since my day.

It seems easier to get into Bayreuth Festspielhaus, where you have to wait seven years for tickets, than to get a gala ticket at Hamburg :huh:... Hamburg folks go crazy about these galas, but it's not so hard to get tickets for the other performances. There are some people who tend to get a bit tired of Neumeier, to be honest.... Good luck for everybody who tries!

Actually it's not that difficult to get tickets for Nijinsky Gala. I tried it once and got two tickets no problem ( of course, it' s probably important to send the request in the indicated dates. My friend also got a ticket without problems - we both were sending requests from different countries - Denmark and France.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Angela said:

It seems easier to get into Bayreuth Festspielhaus, where you have to wait seven years for tickets, than to get a gala ticket at Hamburg :huh:... Hamburg folks go crazy about these galas, but it's not so hard to get tickets for the other performances. There are some people who tend to get a bit tired of Neumeier, to be honest.... Good luck for everybody who tries!

I've actually got a ticket for Bayreuth this August, after only two years of waiting, thanks to the online sales. I'm so glad I don't want to try for the gala, just reading the instructions toursenlair posted made my head ache - imagine trusting everything to the notorious Italian postal system!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, capybara said:

A lovely review for Ksenia Ovsyanick in Giselle in Berlin: http://ballett-journal.de/staatsballett-berlin-giselle-the-last-ksenia-ovsyanick-denis-vieira-2018/

Although the term First Soloist is initially used to describe her, Ksenia is, in fact a Principal.

What a wonderful review, Capybara, and how lovely to see that Ksenia's interpretative powers and technique are being so richly appreciated.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MAX said:

Does anyone know if Lauretta Summerscales is going to be back at ENB next season ?

In the season brochure for 18/19, which was delivered in print recently, she and Yonah Acosta are still listed as principals at Munich.

• Like 1

New at Zurich Ballet next season:

A Winter’s Journey by Christian Spuck

Nijinski by Marco Goecke (premiere was in 2016 at Gauthier Dance Stuttgart)

a mixed bill by Jiří Kylián with Sweet Dreams, Six Dances and Bella Figura

repertoire: Spuck’s Nutcracker and Romeo, Patrice Bart’s Giselle and a mixed bill by Crystal Pite and Sol León / Paul Lightfoot

Principal dancer Viktorina Kapitonova has disappeard from the roster, does anybody know where she will go?

Edited by Angela
typo
  • Like 2

New at Ballett am Rhein at Düsseldorf/Duisburg next year:

b.37: creations by Robert Binet, Natalia Horecna and Remus Şucheană

a Ballet Gala on New Year’s Eve

b.38: creations by Remus Şucheană, Martin Schläpfer and One Flat Thing Reproduced (William Forsythe)

b.39: Dances With Piano (Hans van Manen), creations by Martin Chaix and Martin Schläpfer

b.40: Pacific by Mark Morris, Locus by Trisha Brown, Night Wandering by Merce Cunningham and Offenbach Overtures by Paul Taylor

A Young Moves 2019 evening with creations by the dancers

repertory: Swan Lake by Martin Schläpfer

• Like 2

New at Vienna State Opera next year: a new Sylvia by Manuel Legris himself, a mixed bill with Artifact Suite by William Forsythe, Trois Gnossiennes and Solo by Hans van Manen, and Psalmensymphonie by Jiří Kylián.

https://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/en/staatsoper/news/detail/news/the-new-season-2018-2019-at-the-wiener-staatsoper/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

John Cranko's Romeo will be in German cinemas on 22.July - a list of screenings (more venues to follow, it says) and a preview here:

http://www.ballett-im-kino.de/

The recording was made last year with Elisa Badenes, David Moore, Marti Fernandez Paixa, and with Marcia Haydée als Juliet's nurse. As far as I know it is supposed to be  published on DVD later on. Onegin was also recorded with Alicia Amatriain and Friedemann Vogel, so maybe it will follow.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2018 at 20:00, Don Q Fan said:

Who dances at the Volksoper in Vienna - the Vienna State Ballet the same as the Wiener Staatsoper?

Apologies, only just seen this question. They are administratively the same organisation, but despite being in the same city, different people are allocated to the two venues and the corps are separated:

https://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/en/artists/ballet/

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Angela said:

John Cranko's Romeo will be in German cinemas on 22.July - a list of screenings (more venues to follow, it says) and a preview here:

http://www.ballett-im-kino.de/

The recording was made last year with Elisa Badenes, David Moore, Marti Fernandez Paixa, and with Marcia Haydée als Juliet's nurse. As far as I know it is supposed to be  published on DVD later on. Onegin was also recorded with Alicia Amatriain and Friedemann Vogel, so maybe it will follow.

Exciting news for Cranko lovers. For me, not so much about Romeo and Juliet but hopefully it may lead to a new recording of Onegin which I'd love though even better to let the Royal ballet film it. Given current dancers you could have several amazing casts. Vadim for Onegin, anyone? Though I love his Lensky too.

• Like 1

Alison - do you mean from an age-perspective? If so, Lantratov (29) dances the role of Onegin - and has been since around 2014 I think; Shklyarov (33) also made his debut this year.  But Muntagirov certainly has time for this role.. and I would be very interested to see him in it, although he may not quite  have at the moment the dramatic forces that these two can generate.

• Like 1

ME neither he is very much the gentler Lensky character!  Interestingly Muntagirov (RB) and Chudin (Bolshoi)  are similar and Chudin dances Lensky too.  Onegin is a bad boy = so more your Soares (RB) or Lantratov (Bolshoi). I love Onegin and Dutch National Ballet are very good at Onegin too.

I'm not familiar enough with the ballet to offer an informed opinion, but I'd like to throw out the suggestion that Onegin, even pre-duel, is not a simple bad boy in the poem (or the opera). Remember, he's pretty young himself at the start of the action and, though it's admittedly convenient for him, thinks he's doing the right thing by rejecting Tatyana.

The best operatic Onegin I've seen (dramatically speaking) conveyed a wide streak of idealism.

• Like 1