Christmas present ideas for dancers

taxi4ballet

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a really posh scrap book for those that love ballet.

I got my son one when he did his first performance in Alice Adventures in Wonderland

with RB. Now he fills it with pics, who he spoke to what they say to him, mistakes on stage etc (he is 10 by the way)

He has a special book he writes in what he had done! He will come home from ROH tonight and write

about what happened in Swan Lake. His book is great. 4 performance with RB.

Children should have a special memory book. His first ballet teacher has and she

was with RB and she is in her 70's! Great thing to look back on.

• Like 2

My DD was looking at the Degas leotards over the weekend. She has hinted that she would really like one for Christmas as her main present. The reviews on them read superb and I know it is something that she will get so much wear out of. I also liked the skirts that you can buy separately to match:))

• Like 2

If anyone's thinking of designing ballet stuff - any ballet stuff - please remember that not all girls like pink (I used to have terrible trouble finding suitable items for my pink hating ballet dancing daughter!) And more stuff suitable for boys - doesn't necessarily have to be different, just not with pointe shoes pics on it or PINK!!!

• Like 8

I agree the Cath Kidston bedding is lovely - we wanted to stock it, but they wanted a minimum order of several thousand pounds! :o

We do now have the go ahead with Degas :) So open to suggestions for styles you'd like to see and help me build your ideal ballet shop!

http://www.degasusa.com/index.php

They are pricey eg leotards will retail at about £40-£50, but they seem to be recommended on quality - although I haven't tried them myself - yet!

If you would like to input in me getting a basic range together, (not just leos) I can report back once they arrive!

Thanks, as ever :)

The French site has more choice and the option to read it in ENglish :)

http://www.degas.fr/Produits.aspx?cat=4

OOh so far we have a list of :

Leos 9501, 9502, 9505,

Skirted leos (they call tunics) 2500, 2528

MEN'S LEO! 9755

Skirt JP200

Fleece warm ups with long leg 66 and shorty 666

Colours we like are Marine (dark blue) Eglantine (dark pink) ...black ;)

Off to yoga now but will look more later!

Has anyone tried cafepress.co.uk the have themed items for everything just type ballet in their search engine,

also you can customise items as well. Whe my dd went away to school I had a water bottle with her name and photo on

and a mug with a dance them, it's not just ballet but tap, modern. Items included t-shirts, ipad cases, mugs, pillow cases

and more enjoy.

Loving the look of 9502: http://www.degasusa.com/product/1/

or 9501

In terms of colours, I'm looking for a colour like "ciel" at the moment, a dark royal blue as a Inter/Adv leotard as the Freed Alice C is way too baggy on the chest for my dd! :-)

Hi Spanner,

My middle dd had this leo and loved it...but if you get one keep it awasy from the tumble drier. Martin was helping with the washing and shrunk it! Thankfully it fitted smaller daughter!

Very good quality leo and lovely on!

• Like 1

Excellent, Kiwimum! I never tumble dry dd's leos just in case.

Just Ballet, could we like "Ciel" or "Roy" as well as or instead of Marine? I've found it pretty easy to get nice navy leos but that royal blue is tricky to find. :-) Those blues look different on the USA site which is a bit confusing. Basically I need a beautifully cut leotard in the same blue as the new RAD Vocational royal blue (not much to ask!!)

• Like 1

Also a note for any RBS associates shopping at the ROH shop....if you can show something to prove your daughter/son is an associate, you will get a good discount...can't remember if it was 15 or 20 percent. Sadly we didn't find out till my dd's last week as a JA!! (but the discount was welcome anyway!)

• Like 1

The degas leotards are beautiful, but do size up, they are tiny. If you contact then they will send you a few swatches of material and colours, very helpfull.

Just to give you an idea of how small the leotards are, I ordered one for my then very tiny 10 year old, (she was 4' 7" and 4st 7 lbs) after spending £70 and having been back and forward with swatches, the age 10 was too small and it's never been worn. Didnt send it back as to ship back to the US was expensive.

NL

• Like 2

No problem Spanner, colours noted! I'm hoping to finalise a range tonight, so if you have any specific size/colour/style requests, just inbox me and I can give you prices. Absolutley no obligation to buy if you change your mind - happy just to keep a range of stock on the site, but if they're coming from France, I'm not sure what the lead time will be so wouldn't want anyone disappointed for Xmas.

Thanks so much Charlie4dancin! Very kind :) I must admit, I was very pleased with the quality of the cotton lycra we sourced and they wash well - mine have gone in the drier by accident and haen't shrunk - but I wouldn't recommend it! As for the tights - ours have kept their colour longer than normal - hopefully everyone else's have too!

We had an advert in Country Life today - I'm beaming with pride at my DD in a tutu :D She may not be a professional dancer or model, but in my eyes she'll always be my beautiful ballerina! Glad she's not reading over my shoulder or she'd be dying of embarassment - as it was, as I waved the ad at her in Waitrose today I got the rolling of eyes.... :D

• Like 1