Job satisfaction?

alison

Roger Federer last night, having just broken the record for number of weeks (300) at the top of the men's tennis rankings, on why he's still playing:

"Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever.”

Indeed. Wouldn't it be great if everyone could be that lucky?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Neither of my children know what they want to "do" when they're older.

Oldest is almost 17, so it is a frequent discussion. I try to explain that whatever they decide they should try to enjoy it, as they will spend an awful lot of their life working!

I hear of so many adults not happy in their jobs - I know there is not always a choice as bills need to be paid, but for teenagers with the chance to make choices to affect the rest of their life, it is worthy of a lot of soul searching.

Sure, I'd like a dentist and a vet in the family, as I'd save a fortune with a family discount (!) but they need to make that decision (and neither wants to be either of those :( )

It took me until I was 30 to find a job I loved and I really do. Yes, there are moments when I could happily strangle my clients, but day to day I do enjoy what I do and for that I am eternally thankful!

I often think it would be easier if the girls had turned around to me at 10 and said, "Mummy I want to be a ballet dancer"...then I read the Doing Dance forum and realise how hard that path is for everyone involved!

Sx

We are lucky that we live in a time when choosing our life's work is a possibility. ..

I’m not sure that is necessarily true, other than for a small few.

I was one of the lucky ones, I used to have a saying, and you don’t think I do this for a living, it’s my hobby. There was quite a lot of true in that.

I was with the company for 33years, the job / my career evolved around me, I was so so lucky, it was very much being in the right place at the right time with evolving technology. I headed the test systems design department for a world leader in its technology and was involved in many transfer of technology projects to overseas manufacturers. Both me and the company appeared to grow and mature together, It was the hardest thing I have ever done was to leave when I retired, even that was delayed. However I am still on the board of trustees for the company’s pension scheme for the next two years, so I still see everyone at meetings. I also still attend a lot of the professional conferences I used to, I guess in some ways it’s hard to let go. Although I never fell behind with technology, being out of it, that certainly will be the case now.

Even at work I taught Dance (Salsa and Bachata) 2 lunch times a week for 2 years running to raise money for the companies charity.

But now I get to do what I want with my time and that really is new and exiting thing for me (ballet)

Edited by Michelle_Richer

I worked for a government department for 36 years, of which the first 34 were for the most part really satisfying for me on many levels - job interest, great colleagues and actually feeling part of the wider family of the department. The last 2 went from bad to worse and my last 2 months were hell - I felt so demoralised and demotivated I could not wait to escape. A sad end to a job I had loved for most of the time I was there.