Room 101

taxi4ballet

49 minutes ago, Mary said:

Went down to make coffee and there was a little group of birds sitting by the back door waiting for me, feathers all fluffed up, looking steadily up at the kitchen window. I sighed and put a raincoat on over my dressing gown-  went out to feed and water them- the watering can I had left full, was frozen like a rock to the path and unusable..I had to shovel snow to clear a path to put some food down and get a kettle to the bird bath....

Got shivering back into bed eventually then realised I had snow on my feet.

This little fellow was outside our door yesterday looking frozen and forlorn - I warmed him up in my hands for a while then put him back, and his mother appeared after a while ad chivvied him into flight..   And no, I hadn't thrown a snowball at him - he face-planted trying to take off!

oi8IQgW.jpg

• Like 10

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will try that, thanks!

I love my birds.  They have had a long hard winter and were just beginning to get ready for spring when this happened- like most of us..

If we can help them out for a few days they should make it through...

• Like 6

We’ve had masses of snow too (about 7 inches on the wall so deeper where drifted) and very few cars have even attempted our road today but there have been a couple that have gone past with masses of snow on their roofs, side and rear windows. 

I love your little Robin Quintus!

One of our feeding dishes is just outside the bedroom window so literally just have to open it!

This morning as I was putting some food out one of our two resident robins ( we think they have recently paired up) came over to the dish and waited on it till I'd finished!! Nearest I've got to touching it yet. But one of the robins is much bolder than the other.

For some reason the starlings were missing today. They have already started sorting out one of the nest boxes but were nowhere to be seen today. I have a feeling our garden group are part of a huge roosting group at the Marina. Perhaps they didn't stray too far today because of the strong icey wind here today ....it is unusual for them not to turn up though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jane said:

very few cars have even attempted our road today but there have been a couple that have gone past with masses of snow on their roofs, side and rear windows. 

Ouch.  Please, folks, if you are driving, take the time to clear your windows and roof properly first.  All it takes is sudden braking (or an impact), and all that snow may get dislodged and block your vision completely, and you really don't need that!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Websites which ask you to register with a password, so you come up with a new password and only *after* you've entered it do they tell you that actually they needed more than 12 characters, at least one uppercase letter, 2 digits, one special character ...

I mean, can't they just tell you that at the beginning, so you can plan accordingly?!

• Like 3

Parents who allow their toddlers to "be helpful" and pull one of those wheeled supermarket baskets around, then start shopping and pay no attention to them.  A little darling ran straight across my path and hit me with one of them: if I'd been elderly, I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from falling, and might well have ended up with a hip fracture or something :(

The mother didn't even notice what had happened ...

Agree!! Even adults sometimes have difficulty controlling those things especially the bigger ones so it's ridiculous to let a child( under 12) push them around. It's okay if the parent is "pretending" to let their child help .....as they still have one hand on it as well ...which I have seen but giving a three or four year old full reign is dangerous in my view as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, I'm seriously wanting to dump the ROH's new customer satisfaction survey in Room 101.  I mean:

"We are always looking for ways to improve our audience's experience and we'd love to get some feedback on your latest visit."

So all they ask me is how likely I'd be to recommend the production I've just seen (unspecified, but I'd hope that the individual survey would be "invisibly" linked back to the specific production) to someone else, and how likely I'd be to recommend the ROH.  Never mind whether I enjoyed the performance, what I thought of it, my experiences of the Open Up works, staff interactions, etc. etc.  Gee.  How does that either improve the audience's experience or give them any feedback?

Actually, I've seen quite a few customer satisfaction surveys over the last year or so which are equally inane and unproductive, so I'll toss those in as well.

• Like 5

I had noticed the 'dumbing down' of the survey too Alison- it did use to ask detailed questions about the production and the experience in the theatre...(and it used to promise entry to a draw to win some tickets  not that I ever did)

Disappointing. I was wanting to give some feedback on ushering, which I have always thought was good until recently- in the amphi far too many people are getting through the wrong door then causing a lot of delay while they stand looking around, go down the wrong row, make everyone in a row stand up only to realise they are on the wrong side, wrong  level, in the wrong theatre etc... etc-

Ushers need to catch people earlier and make sure they go in the right door to start with...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I want to dump in room 101 all those companies who have left it to the last minute to send out their GDPR compliance notifications asking us whether we want to stay subscribed to their mailing lists etc.   I mean, they've had a year to get it sorted, so why leave it until one week before the deadline?  They should have appointed data controllers and got the whole thing under control some considerable time ago, so ... ?  I just spent the best part of an hour and a half last night trying to fish out of my junk mail folder anything that might possibly be a notification - and it's by no means always easy to tell from the header - and deal with them, and that's only my main personal email account.  I still have my main business account (worryingly quiet thus far) and my other secondary email accounts to do, not to mention anything else which comes into my personal account by Friday!

• Like 1

Not sure if this is true of all of them....where you have chosen to subscribe to a newsletter etc ....but then these tend to just inform you that they have updated their policies etc so you don't have to do anything unless you now want to discontinue and so on.

But agree Alison I had a couple of days away from IPad ( one day because my partner had hidden it) and when I went on this morning there were 97 emails awaiting!! 

On a different matter I'd like to put into Room 101 all those big Companies who just  assume you have an iPhone....and keep asking me to do things in texts that I can't .....click on links etc etc.

one firm in particular who I told only to email me as I didn't have an iPhone still continued to text me in this way. 

And today I went to pay a bill by the automatic phone system and the customer number had some additional symbols which were impossible to reach easily on a non iPhone. So had to end up going through the long " sorry all our lines are currently receiving high volumes of calls at the moment"  ( when are they not!) route.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

But agree Alison I had a couple of days away from IPad ( one day because my partner had hidden it) and when I went on this morning there were 97 emails awaiting!! 

Oh dear, that's even worse than me!  (And I had an influx of maybe 30 emails simply because people had hit "Reply All" to a mass GDPR mailing, rather than simply replying to the originator!)  I spent loads of time today trying to deal with last-minute "please confirm that you want to stay on our list" mails - don't these people realise that we don't all have the luxury of time to deal with them all at such short notice? 

10 hours ago, alison said:

I had an influx of maybe 30 emails simply because people had hit "Reply All" to a mass GDPR mailing

This rather suggests that the person who sent the original email doesn't have the first idea about protecting people's data, if they are cc-ing rather than bcc-ing the list of recipients!

• Like 2

Quite.  Having got to my local station - and having carefully checked the train times beforehand - I find that although I have trains coming back from a specific London station I don't appear to have any going to that station, regardless of what the timetable says!

18 minutes ago, alison said:

Quite.  Having got to my local station - and having carefully checked the train times beforehand - I find that although I have trains coming back from a specific London station I don't appear to have any going to that station, regardless of what the timetable says!

Well, if you will insist on going to a place before you come back .. :-)

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:09, alison said:

Would it not have worked if they'd been Bcc'd, then?  I'm never too sure how that works.

No, the recipient wouldn't be able to see who else the message had been sent to, even if they clicked "reply all" - and therefore would not have the ability to reply to the other anonymous recipients.

Sainsbury's.  Have just been in there to get some squash, and was shocked to find they've virtually doubled the prices of the non-sugar-free ones - alleging it's because of the sugar tax 😮   Apart from the fact that the tax was supposed to be aimed at the fizzy drinks which contain a lot of sugar, rather than something you water down to drink, I notice they haven't put up the price of some really high-sugar squashes, so it seems like just a rip-off to me.  (And no, I can't drink the no-sugar versions - the sweeteners are so disgusting I can't stand them).

So, off to Tesco's, where I bought a couple of bottles of the same at a price much closer to the old price ...

Not to mention the fact that their twin packs of McVitie's Digestives have dropped from 2 x 500 g to 2 x 400 g, without as yet any corresponding drop in price ... 

You're not seriously suggesting they're going to slap another quid on the no-sugar options?

Think a trip to a different supermarket tomorrow is called for before everyone else decides to follow suit ...

Oh joy.  A rush-hour train half its usual length, and just before it left a party of some 40-50 loud primary schoolchildren join it, in my carriage, of course.  Way to kill any residual appreciation of Cojocaru's marvellous Aurora this afternoon :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Supermarket delivery people on late-evening deliveries who don't even stop to think that some people might already have gone to bed, but just carry on crashing around their boxes, trolleys and so on as if it's midday.  I've no particular objection to post-10 pm deliveries (although I try not to use them myself), but quite a few people will have gone to bed before 10.40 pm, and left their windows open because of the heat, no doubt, so a little consideration and an attempt to muffle the noise would be welcome.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alison said:

Supermarket delivery people on late-evening deliveries who don't even stop to think that some people might already have gone to bed, but just carry on crashing around their boxes, trolleys and so on as if it's midday.  I've no particular objection to post-10 pm deliveries (although I try not to use them myself), but quite a few people will have gone to bed before 10.40 pm, and left their windows open because of the heat, no doubt, so a little consideration and an attempt to muffle the noise would be welcome.

I live in a block of flats above a Tesco Express on a fairly busy road. My flat faces out the back of the building and I get very little disruption from post-10pm activities (they close at 11) though I am occasionally vaguely aware of the sound of people moving things around when they're getting ready to open at 7am.  But neighbours whose flats face the street frequently complain of staff hanging around underneath their bedroom windows after closing time, chatting and smoking.

(I've been there longer than Tesco has, but I viewed 3 flats in the building, and discounted the street-facing one on principle for noise reasons.  My flat's lovely and quiet! The only delivery-related disruption I get on a regular basis is from couriers, when a parcel turns up for one of the neighbours who isn't in, and it's always my doorbell they ring by default because I'm Flat 1.)

Edited by RuthE