Room 101

taxi4ballet

7 hours ago, Jane said:

Alison I have a long haired cat who likes to sit outside in the evening but more than once he has come in with one or more attached to his fur, he doesn't seem to notice. 

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!  Sadly our new puppy likes to crunch snails and chew slugs.  This is potentially harmful (lungworm) but despite nightly torch-lit sweeps it's impossible to find and remove them all.  Wretched things.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in a very rural location, no neighbours and grow own veg. I used to go out early in the morning  to do a cull which involved scooping up on spade and flinging into road where they could be squashed by traffic until I was busy doing one morning and tossed into path of a dog walker. Made for an unusual conversation starter especially as I was in dressing gown and wellies. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jane said:

We live in a very rural location, no neighbours and grow own veg. I used to go out early in the morning  to do a cull which involved scooping up on spade and flinging into road where they could be squashed by traffic until I was busy doing one morning and tossed into path of a dog walker. Made for an unusual conversation starter especially as I was in dressing gown and wellies. 

I used to use a shovel and fling them up over the garage roof at the bottom of our garden until I became convinced I recognised the same ones returning the next day.  Now I flush them down the loo.

I have a feeling MAB may be referring to a slugberg forming down in the sewers....so doesn't matter how many times you flush as that's where it will end up!! 

I seem to remember reading and article and seeing a disgusting picture ( London Standard I think) of a huge oily fatty mass of nappies and other things .....which had formed a huge solid "mountain" in the sewers and so blocking it. 

Dread to think what a snail and slug one would look like ....better to try not to imagine I think!! 

On 22/09/2017 at 00:21, alison said:

I've lost the "oh no!" thread again (if someone can remember what it's called, I'll move this), so will post this here for the time being.  It's not for the squeamish, so I've put it in spoiler tags. You have been warned!

Reveal hidden contents

Went out this evening (it had rained earlier) to put out the recycling.  My heart sank as I heard that familiar crunching noise as I put my foot down which tells you that you've just trodden on a snail.  I hurriedly took my foot off the poor thing and put it down elsewhere - only to feel a horrible squishing as I flattened a VERY large slug.  Euuuughhhh!!

Fiz has very kindly bumped the thread I was after, so I'll copy my post there.  I'd have transferred it completely, but so many people have picked up on it since that it wouldn't make a lot of sense if I did :)

No, the one on Twitter got very possessive after I said I was sorry that he wasn't well. He started DMing me several times a day and wouldn't stop so I blocked him in the end. The Pinterest guy obviously wanted to flirt and sent me a would be complimentary message about how "pretty" I am and he wanted to know me better. The Facebook person was just plain vulgar after I had fallen out with a mutual friend. There are some very strange people on the internet.

• Like 2

I thought you could only receive a private message from someone on Facebook if you were "friends"

A couple of years ago I seemed to remember sending someone a message but we were not friends (though had mutual friends) and she didn't get it ....only later when we did become friends did the message go through. Has this changed?

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

I thought you could only receive a private message from someone on Facebook if you were "friends"

They go into a different inbox. In Messages there's a 'filtered messages' button (or similar) - if you turn that off it shows your messages from non-friends.  When I discovered it the messages in there were already a year old!

• Like 1

Just been on the phone to my building society this morning: went through the security checks, gave my address: "Perfect!"  Gave my date of birth: "Perfect!"  Of course it's perfect - I've had it for the past xx years!  Does anyone else get annoyed by the increasing use of "perfect" as a response to just about anything by certain people in call centres and so on?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, alison said:

Just been on the phone to my building society this morning: went through the security checks, gave my address: "Perfect!"  Gave my date of birth: "Perfect!"  Of course it's perfect - I've had it for the past xx years!  Does anyone else get annoyed by the increasing use of "perfect" as a response to just about anything by certain people in call centres and so on?

Funny you should mention this. Just a few days ago a lady reported calling her travel insurance company about a theft. She was asked to describe what had happened and said that the thief had whizzed past her on a motorbike, slashed the handle on her handbag, grabbed it and sped off into the distance, splashing her with water from a puddle.' 'Perfect!' was the reply... 

• Like 1

‘Colleagues’ who can’t comprehend that someone else may have a different approach to workplace challenges – but that that approach may actually be more appropriate and productive than their ‘bull in a china shop / JFDI’ manner.

Arrgh – :angry: so angry right now at certain people who have learnt their ‘management’ skills from someone who was an out and out bully and can’t comprehend that possibly some of that may have rubbed off on them.  They can’t accept that a calm, controlled and reasoned approach – borne from many, many years of experience, can actually achieve far more productive results.:angry:

Yes, it’s not as dramatic and attention grabbing as storming around the office and slamming your keyboard, but at least my staff aren’t afraid to come to work every day.  They are also far more invested in getting this right for the Customer rather than completing a task as quickly as possible before they get a rollocking!!!!

Sorry just had to get that off my chest – have a lovely weekend Forum Friends!!

• Like 3

On 9/25/2017 at 15:48, Fiz said:

Creeps who private message you on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. I've had more than enough of it just recently.

Me too - Why do they do that?  Do they trawl facebook profiles looking for someone to send a rude or creepy message to?  I have been proposed to several times just this week :blink:

"£$%"£^$"£& Firefox suddenly deciding to seize up, and the little circle rotating.  At 12.55 on a Friday.  And you know what happens at 1 pm on Fridays?  I had to restart the computer, and by the time I could get everything back up and back on to my page on the ROH website everything I wanted had gone :(

People on Freecycle who ask you for a photo even when it's just something like a jam jar!  Fine if it's a piece of furniture, or something, I understand that, but not for something as basic as something that's going in the recycling if nobody needs it!  I'm tempted to reply "Walk down to your local Sainsbury's, go to aisle ... and have a look"!

(And actually it wasn't a jam jar, but it was a standardised container available in any halfway decent supermarket :) )

• Like 3

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:08, Fonty said:

Friends who live in other countries, who think they can just book themselves into your spare room for an unspecified length of time.  Ok, yes, I live in London, in a convenient spot with good transport links to all the major attractions.  

But if you want to come and stay, give me specific dates, and at least ask me first whether or not it is convenient.  And make sure you do not assume you can come back again every year.   :angry:

I know this is an old post, but I've only just seen it, so...

My answer to this is (living in a very handy location a bus ride from Central London) that I only have a one-bedroom flat. So if somebody assumed I'll have them to stay, I have two available answers:

1) "I'd love to put you up, as long as you don't mind a sofa-bed in the living room"

2) "I'm sorry, I don't have a spare bedroom"

Indeed, the ones that "assume" will probably get answer 2 by default!  I've successfully managed never to have relatives stay except my mother :P

Clearing out the freezer in readiness for the pre-Christmas stock-up is resulting in some rather peculiar meals chez Taxi. There are too many random frozen individual leftover portions to make an actual family meal, and it's now getting silly.:wacko:

Tonight we have had to endure a combination of Chinese curry and egg fried rice, meatballs in onion gravy, potato and leek gratin, naan bread and lasagne. And cabbage.

Tomorrow will be another adventure...

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Clearing out the freezer in readiness for the pre-Christmas stock-up is resulting in some rather peculiar meals chez Taxi. There are too many random frozen individual leftover portions to make an actual family meal, and it's now getting silly.:wacko:

Tonight we have had to endure a combination of Chinese curry and egg fried rice, meatballs in onion gravy, potato and leek gratin, naan bread and lasagne. And cabbage.

Sounds very tasty. Random leftovers?... or Taxi's Transcultural Tapas?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Sounds as though you're running a fusion restaurant!

You have the most interesting freezer! I just have some frozen peas and edamame and ice cream in mine.

Oh, and frozen bangers because you can't get fresh ones at the supermarket so we have to order them from a British butcher in North Carolina.

Royal Opera House print-at-home tickets: they are SO inconsistent!  Even if there's only one of you going, you can never tell whether they are going to print neatly on one sheet or just run ever so slightly over onto two!  Surely it can't be outside the realms of possibility to provide a nice, suitable-for-printing version?  At least if they provided a PDF you'd be able to select the page you actually wanted and save wasting paper?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

Royal Opera House print-at-home tickets: they are SO inconsistent!  Even if there's only one of you going, you can never tell whether they are going to print neatly on one sheet or just run ever so slightly over onto two!  Surely it can't be outside the realms of possibility to provide a nice, suitable-for-printing version?  At least if they provided a PDF you'd be able to select the page you actually wanted and save wasting paper?

If you click on "send to me by email", the email has a pdf attached.

• Like 1