Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next, and their insistence that all customer collections are to be from the main cash desk in the Women's department. It is the busiest till in the shop, and the last thing you want to do is be stuck in a queue three people behind somebody who is returning about 8 items, collecting several more and has a query about their account as well. Especially when there is only one cashier working on the tills.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Fiz said:

The idiots who have cyber attacked many hospital databases and are holding them to ransom. How despicable! ?

The greed and sheer selfishness of some people never ceases to amaze me.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Next, and their insistence that all customer collections are to be from the main cash desk in the Women's department. It is the busiest till in the shop, and the last thing you want to do is be stuck in a queue three people behind somebody who is returning about 8 items, collecting several more and has a query about their account as well. Especially when there is only one cashier working on the tills.

....and finally when it gets to your turn, they open a few more tills!

• Like 3

Reporters who are blaming the nursing and ancillary staff for the computer meltdown instead of the government who cancelled the I.T budget for repairs and upgrades. Also the fact that nobody seems to have a clue what to do. My daughter and her co-workers worked their butts off today to prep 73 clinics and my daughter called in to reassure our elderly neighbour that her hospital clinic was running tomorrow to discover that the hospital had waited until the clerical staff had gone home and then rung our neighbour to cancel and had told her that everything tomorrow was cancelled.

• Like 2

(Physically) close neighbours who swan off for months on end while they have major building works done, leaving their poor neighbours to be subjected to all the noise, vibration and so on for week, and don't even have the courtesy to warn the neighbours that said building works are going to be taking place.  I have to sit here with ear defenders on at times, and they make me feel sick.

Not only that, but yesterday's works have, I think, screwed up any chance I might still have had of getting to see Rambert in "Ghost Dances" :(

I assume you have complained to the council, Alison?  Although I am not sure if that would do any good, to be honest.  I've known other people complain about the same thing, only to be told that the noise was "within the permitted levels."  Whatever those are.

I can't see it would do any good, Fonty.  Plus it doesn't change the fact that I'm now well behind schedule, with 4 deadlines tomorrow :(

Incidentally, there are 2 separate sets of building works (at least!) going on within eyesight - not to mention however many it is round the corner.  *All* of them seem to involve *really* squeaky wheelbarrows.  I swear I shall go out and offer them a can of oil if they don't shut up soon!

• 2 weeks later...

People who persist in overtaking me, when I am driving at 30 in a 30mph zone. I live in a fairly rural location with lots of villages, and many roads hereabouts have a 30 limit. Impatient overtaking happens a lot. Why do they think the law doesn't apply to them? 

• Like 6

People who make cold calls and barely speak English because they're from the Philippines or India or wherever, and expect you to believe their names really are Doug or Katie.

Actually, that also goes for the same people who are on the other end of helplines when you're trying to get a problem of some sort fixed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

People who persist in overtaking me, when I am driving at 30 in a 30mph zone. I live in a fairly rural location with lots of villages, and many roads hereabouts have a 30 limit. Impatient overtaking happens a lot. Why do they think the law doesn't apply to them? 

I was driving to my friend's on Saturday.  A longish residential road had the limit dropped to 20 at least a year ago.  I suddenly realised I was driving at nearly 30 and approaching a speed camera.  At that moment a car (dangerously) overtook me doing at least 40 mph!  What a numpty.  Sadly there mustn't have been any film in the camera as it didn't flash him/her.

To be honest the only roads I think should have a 20mph limit on are on certain housing estates where there are likely to be a lot of children around or on roads with schools in them.

It is really VERY slow so if inappropriately applied as it is on some roads I've seen it on around here people just won't stick to it!! 

• Like 1

Various London boroughs have started to change to 20mph speed limits on main roads.  These appear to have been done arbitrarily, rather than for safety reasons. And worse still, there is often no advance warning, just a sign painted on the road.  It is a nightmare for us on a motorbike.  If the traffic is heavy, my husband is not looking down at the road surface, he is watching what all the other road users are doing.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Various London boroughs have started to change to 20mph speed limits on main roads.  These appear to have been done arbitrarily, rather than for safety reasons. And worse still, there is often no advance warning, just a sign painted on the road.  It is a nightmare for us on a motorbike.  If the traffic is heavy, my husband is not looking down at the road surface, he is watching what all the other road users are doing.

This is a co-ordinated approach to improve road safety and I, for one, applaud it.  

In a number of boroughs all roads are 20 mph so it's probably easier to assume that's the limit unless there are signs saying otherwise.

IMO a motorbike doing more than 20 mph in heavy traffic is a danger in any event.

• Like 2

Well of course general traffic conditions always play a part in road safety. Even on roads where the speed limit is say 40 mph but the traffic conditions are such that it would be dangerous to go more than 30mph then as a road user one should be expected to take heed of this. 

But there are some roads down here  under Brighton and Hove council ( where there seems to be a general attitude of annoyance that anyone might actually  want to use a car) where 20 mph signs have appeared for no good reason I can see anyway.

There is one very annoying road in Hove which is residential but not particularly dense and it's very wide but on a slight hill.

Its been 30mph for years and now it's 20mph .....so when you are going one way you have to have your brakes on to hold the car to 20 and when you're going the other you need to accelerate slightly to get up the hill and find it difficult not to go over 20 just to get up the hill!!  

If there had been loads of accidents there for some reason then maybe it would have some purpose but this is not the case so if it's been safe at 30 for all these years why does it need to be 20 now? 

I was wondering the other week whether Caroline Lucas lived in this particular road!!! Although don't get me wrong I think she's great ? .....except where cars are concerned ? 

IIRC there was a study some years ago when variable speed limits were tried on the M25.  When busy and the limit was reduced to 50, people were told not to lane hop and the traffic flowed more smoothly.

I find changing down a gear helps going up hill!

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

There is one very annoying road in Hove which is residential but not particularly dense and it's very wide but on a slight hill.

Its been 30mph for years and now it's 20mph .....so when you are going one way you have to have your brakes on to hold the car to 20 and when you're going the other you need to accelerate slightly to get up the hill and find it difficult not to go over 20 just to get up the hill!!  

There's a road like that where I used to live, back in the days when I had a car with a 1-litre or so engine.  I literally had to be going at 32 mph even to get up the hill, so I dread to think what would happen if the council were to lower the speed limit there.

On 2017-6-2 at 11:18, bangorballetboy said:

This is a co-ordinated approach to improve road safety and I, for one, applaud it.  

In a number of boroughs all roads are 20 mph so it's probably easier to assume that's the limit unless there are signs saying otherwise.

IMO a motorbike doing more than 20 mph in heavy traffic is a danger in any event.

BBB, that is definitely not the case in my part of London.  The speed limit is as specified in the Highway Code, except for some odd patches that are like the road that LinMM mentioned, with a lower speed limit for no good reason.  Other than to catch motorists out with the handily placed speed camera. These are not residential roads, they are main ones. 

Regarding your last remark, I don't know what you mean by that comment, and I have to say I find it rather an offensive comment to make to someone who has stated that they use a motorbike (as a pillion, not a driver, but even so.).  In the instance I mentioned, my steady and careful husband was doing 29 miles an hour on a main road in an unfamiliar part of London, and keeping up with the flow of the traffic.  Please explain to me where the danger is in that?  In fact, the only danger came when he suddenly realised the limit had changed, and started to slow down.  The rest of the traffic was either oblivious or ignoring it.

If you have ever ridden a motorbike, you would know that one of the dangerous things a biker can do is to drive more slowly than the rest of the traffic.  You know why?  Because aggressive twats in cars do their utmost to overtake and cut you up, coming so dangerously close at times that we've had to swerve away from them.  So please think before you come out with remarks like that.   

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

BBB, that is definitely not the case in my part of London.  The speed limit is as specified in the Highway Code, except for some odd patches that are like the road that LinMM mentioned, with a lower speed limit for no good reason.  Other than to catch motorists out with the handily placed speed camera. These are not residential roads, they are main ones. 

Regarding your last remark, I don't know what you mean by that comment, and I have to say I find it rather an offensive comment to make to someone who has stated that they use a motorbike (as a pillion, not a driver, but even so.).  In the instance I mentioned, my steady and careful husband was doing 29 miles an hour on a main road in an unfamiliar part of London, and keeping up with the flow of the traffic.  Please explain to me where the danger is in that?  In fact, the only danger came when he suddenly realised the limit had changed, and started to slow down.  The rest of the traffic was either oblivious or ignoring it.

If you have ever ridden a motorbike, you would know that one of the dangerous things a biker can do is to drive more slowly than the rest of the traffic.  You know why?  Because aggressive twats in cars do their utmost to overtake and cut you up, coming so dangerously close at times that we've had to swerve away from them.  So please think before you come out with remarks like that.   

When I had my Yamaha RD 350 I can't ever remember a car passing me.:)

We have also had lots of roads limited to 20mph, and not all appear to have any obvious reason for the restriction. The most difficult aspect of keeping to the speed is that other vehicles then tailgate or shoot past without taking proper care. Even the local buses and police seem to ignore the 20mph signs and I have had some rude gestures when I'm obeying the speed limit. It can be quite intimidating.

• Like 2

I used to live in a block of roads which, according to the council, had a higher than average accident rate, so they implemented speed control measures to try and bring it down.  So then, by definition, another area would become higher than average, and would need to implement speed controls, and so on and so forth ad infinitum ...  Ultimately, my block would have risen to the top of the accident rates again and further controls would be needed :)