Room 101

taxi4ballet

27 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Nah - book yourself on one!;)

Mmmm, what a good idea. I have plans to write a book, so a lengthy cruise to distant and exotic places would be necessary for artistic reasons.  Just interesting would do, they don't have to be exotic. They do have to be distant though!B)

• Like 5

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm humbled" when it actually means "I'm proud".  Increasingly seeing this on social media when dancers and other people pock up awards, honours etc and it strikes me as both completely illogical and irritatingly disingenuous!  If you want to tell the world you've been recognised, than just say how proud you are  - there's nothing wrong with that....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

"I'm humbled" when it actually means "I'm proud".  Increasingly seeing this on social media when dancers and other people pock up awards, honours etc and it strikes me as both completely illogical and irritatingly disingenuous!  If you want to tell the world you've been recognised, than just say how proud you are  - there's nothing wrong with that....

When I receive my inevitable prizes for services to literature, I will say thank you very much for giving me these awards which I thoroughly deserve and although the creative process was a nightmare and a trauma, if the money's good, I'd do it all again.

I would of course, do my best to look "ever so 'umble"  throughout.;)I might even squeeze out a few tears. I wouldn't thank anyone cos I done it all by myself.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 5

I'm going to have to pop unhygienic orthodontists who don't wear surgical masks and don't tie their hair back properly, fiddle with their hair then venture into my child's mouth with the same hand into 101. Yuk! 

Also dental nurses who don't adhere to the rule of being 'bare below the elbow' at all times in the healthcare setting. Ugh!

Friends who live in other countries, who think they can just book themselves into your spare room for an unspecified length of time.  Ok, yes, I live in London, in a convenient spot with good transport links to all the major attractions.  

But if you want to come and stay, give me specific dates, and at least ask me first whether or not it is convenient.  And make sure you do not assume you can come back again every year.   :angry:

• Like 4

Oh, my mother would so agree, Fonty. When her siblings had young children, we lived near a seaside resort, so every summer we were hosting one or the other family for a week or two for a cheap holiday by the sea. Then later my parents moved to a town near Gatwick, very convenient for those same kids who were now young adults and had gone from holidays by the sea to cheap flights (usually at the crack of dawn) to overseas resorts in the sun, and who didn't especially want to pay for an airport hotel the night before.

• Like 2

My friends who are teachers constantly sighing over how 'they have really earned their holiday' and how teachers apparently work harder and for less reward than anyone else. Rather tough to take when a few weeks' holiday a year, constantly expected (and performed) unpaid overtime, including being available at all times by email or phone even when on a booked holiday, very early starts and very late finishes and all for what I know is a very similar salary to that of a couple of teacher friends is the norm. 

I should add that not all of my teacher friends indulge in this. But those who do do so with wearying regularity as every school holiday approaches and during the holidays. If they feel this is true for them I would really rather they kept it to themselves. 

I am very much aware that teachers do lesson preparation, marking and organisation in their spare time and during the holidays, by the way. A vast amount of work is involved. It's just that in comparison with many, if not most, people in other jobs or professions they often seem to complain extremely loudly whilst not doing much if any more. 

(And the unseasonal 'bah, humbug' in me is now, thankfully, finished.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

Probably been covered but, people who use words like "amazing" or "incredible" etc, when the situation is quite average. 

I like the thought of just saying "quite average.";)

I also dislike terms such as so and so "blasts" or "slams" something they don't care for very much. Aggressive tabloidese I suppose.

• Like 1

A dislike of mine is when people use the word 'respect' when they are actually talking about politeness, good manners and consideration for others. It is almost as though nowadays you have to earn someone's 'respect' before they will consider whether they want to be pleasant towards you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

I like the thought of just saying "quite average.";)

I also dislike terms such as so and so "blasts" or "slams" something they don't care for very much. Aggressive tabloidese I suppose.

Oh, aggressive tabloidese should really be shoved immediately into 101!

It really annoys me when a British sports person or team are said to have "crashed out" of a tournament.  This implies that they were hopeless, even if the actual match was very close.  What's wrong with "lost" or "was beaten by"?

• Like 2

On 16/04/2017 at 11:10, Vonrothbart said:

Probably been covered but, people who use words like "amazing" or "incredible" etc, when the situation is quite average. 

I agree with the point but I'm enjoying imagining your ruthless honesty when congratulating someone on their quite average-looking new baby which in no way resembles its father but does look a bit like a pug ;) 

• Like 3

Nouns and verbs being used interchangeably in writing when the only difference is the number of words involved.

Lookout is a noun, look out is a verb. I'm not sure why it annoys me so much to see lookout (and equivalent one-word terms) used as a verb; must be something to do with old age.

• Like 1

People who try to tell me how to think on Social Media.  I am thoroughly fed up of people leaving statuses on my facebook telling me how I should vote tactically to "get the tories out" or to "save the UK from Brexit" or to "save the NHS" or any of the other causes that take their fancy.  It is a pointless quest - I have my own views and opinions and am not going to be swayed by a facebook post, but they are so frequent at the minute that I am getting to the stage where I will defriend the offenders.  I look at facebook to see random pictures of my friends, stupid cat video's and other general fluffiness or sarcastic funnies, not to be bombarded by social and political rants.  

If I want to have a political rant I will  watch question time and shout at the tv in the comfort of my own home.  I will discuss with friends in the pub over a nice glass of wine but I will not put my political views on a social media site - expect Trump bashing as I find that highly amusing!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Well, you are one shop up, Jacqueline, so I suppose it is good news.

Unless it is yet another estate agency, to join the 9 already there?

Apparently, the new shops are mostly food outlets and tobacconists. To add to the hundreds already trading. When we moved here, we commented that we had never seen so many places to buy "food" in one relatively small place. How it is not the fattest town in England I don't know, can't be far off. Everything is chips, chips, chips, burgers, kebabs and more chips. There was a proper deli years ago.  I was talking to the owner one day and he said he had to fight the council for permission to open. They opposed it on the grounds that people don't want poncy overpriced deli stuff, they want chips. In a rare deviation from the norm, the council was right. The deli bombed after lasting a surprising 6 whole months, the last one being a closing down everything must go sale, in which they did their best trade.  There has been a fish and chip shop there ever since. On the rare occasions I walk through town, the smell of fried food and specifically onions is nauseating.

Going down, according to the report, are estate and employment agencies as people do more of that sort of business on line now it appears.

19 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

Going down, according to the report, are estate and employment agencies as people do more of that sort of business on line now it appears.

Really?  I wish that was the same around my way!  We are awash with estate agents.

We also have loads of take away fast food joints of the chicken/burger/kebab & chips variety, but when a new development went up around one of the docks, we were asked what sort of shops we would like see.  About 95% said they would like to see cafes or restaurants that made the most of the view.

So far, we have ended up with two new estate agents and a Sainsburys local. There are some spaces vacant, but when we asked one of the very few local restaurants whether they would consider moving in to it, they said the rent was far too high for them.  

Edited by Fonty

On 28/03/2017 at 08:24, zxDaveM said:

definite pet peeve - women "putting their face on" by trowelling on make-up on the train. Get up 5-10 mins earlier and do it home!!

Talking of things best done at home, a woman parked her car outside my house about half an hour ago. I thought she was on her phone but now I can see she appears to be having some sort of eyebrow plucking session. She's got her tweezers in one hand and her compact mirror in the other and is really going for it. Can it really be such an emergency? At least she has pulled over. 

Added to that, we have the builders in. Efficient though they are, the noise, dust and upheaval are making me want to weep. They did ask if it was ok before they put the radio on - we've had one or two that just came in and put the radio on without so much as a by your leave, followed by me turning it off again - and one of the current crew likes singing along. So, we have drilling, wood cutting, radio, singalong and the fantom eyebrow plucker. How many eyebrows can a person have, or maybe she is drawing them back on.

I think I could quite happily live in a caravan by the sea. Top of the range model of course. Not like the one friends kept near Cuckmere. Always had a funny smell. They never found out what it was.:mellow:

Edited to say we also have some serious builder's bottom from the chap doing the floorboards and singing. Would put Kim Kardashian in the shade, literally!

Edited by Jacqueline

The dentist I am registered with only works Monday and Friday. 

I cracked a tooth on Monday but as I wasn't in pain, it was not an emergency and so I managed to get appt today. Dentist put temp filling in tooth and I need to go back for X rays to decide what 'we' do next ...

Next Monday is a bank holiday. Next Friday dentist is fully booked, the following week he is away, the following week is fully booked so I've got to wait till 22nd! But because I'm registered with him and it's not an emergency I can't see anyone else! However, if my 'temp' filling falls out, then give them a call and go back! 

Grrrr!

Throwing the trains, particularly GWR, in here (although I'm sure they've been added before!). Regrettably had to return my matinee Mayerling ticket as I needed to be home earlier. Got on the 13:30 train at Paddington. Now, 5, nearly 6, hours delayed am still on the same train & have yet to reach my destination :( looking unlikely that I'll make my last connecting train at 22:11 as well. Should have arrived around 3pm. 

We were thrown off at Didcot Parkway & told to get a coach to Swindon. Told by the guy at the coach station to 'go back to platform 1, there's a train in 40 mins'. That train then sat there for nearly 2 hours, in which time we were advised there'd be no replacement bus services & that their 'official' advise was to not travel (bit late for that). We were then told that we could catch the train to Oxford & then change to get the Birmingham - Bristol train. Then they announced 15 minutes later that actually, that wouldn't be a good idea, as by the time you reached Birmingham there'd be no connection to Bristol :wacko: Brilliant.

I have so many issues with GWR trains being delayed during my morning rush hour journey, but funnily enough, never longer than the 1 hour compensation cut off. Guess the silver lining here is that a 5/6 hour delay should get me my ticket cost back. Annoyingly though, I could have seen the matinee & got home not much later than I'm going to... grr

38 minutes ago, Lenore said:

Throwing the trains, particularly GWR, in here (although I'm sure they've been added before!). Regrettably had to return my matinee Mayerling ticket as I needed to be home earlier. Got on the 13:30 train at Paddington. Now, 5, nearly 6, hours delayed am still on the same train & have yet to reach my destination :( looking unlikely that I'll make my last connecting train at 22:11 as well. Should have arrived around 3pm. 

We were thrown off at Didcot Parkway & told to get a coach to Swindon. Told by the guy at the coach station to 'go back to platform 1, there's a train in 40 mins'. That train then sat there for nearly 2 hours, in which time we were advised there'd be no replacement bus services & that their 'official' advise was to not travel (bit late for that). We were then told that we could catch the train to Oxford & then change to get the Birmingham - Bristol train. Then they announced 15 minutes later that actually, that wouldn't be a good idea, as by the time you reached Birmingham there'd be no connection to Bristol :wacko: Brilliant.

I have so many issues with GWR trains being delayed during my morning rush hour journey, but funnily enough, never longer than the 1 hour compensation cut off. Guess the silver lining here is that a 5/6 hour delay should get me my ticket cost back. Annoyingly though, I could have seen the matinee & got home not much later than I'm going to... grr

What a nightmare :( 

• Like 1

I wonder at the utter hypocrisy of the modern age, where we are supposed to be so advanced and enlightened. Watching a few chart hits - showing my age! - on a music channel last night, about 8pm, not late night, it was the usual sort of thing with barely dressed women cavorting provocatively.  Any men were of course, fully dressed. What century are we in now?

I had to laugh at the irony of one video in particular, with some female popstar prancing in her bra and knickers, singing about sex 'n' drugs, her backing dancers similarly attired. What passed for lyrics included the word b*tch but it was bleeped out. In a video on mainstream tv, depicting scenes I found offensively tiresome for their utter banality, we can see her simulating sex and apparently in a drug induced trance, but we are not allowed to hear the lady say a rude word. 

Other than that, it was an almost uninterrupted run of barely dressed women posing explicitly in tiny costumes and pretending  they weren't bothered about being dumped by their ex, cos they're  strong women who don't need men. Although, they make a living out of singing about how much they're so not bothered. Still, it shifts product and that's what counts.

I would put all these trashy productions into Room 101.

• Like 3