English National Ballet’s Youth Dance Company

dancing10

To me it looks more like a youth DANCE company rather than pure ballet - although the webpage did say that dancers need ballet training.

NB it might be a good idea to change the title of this thread to 'ENB's Youth Dance Company' or something similar as I thought it was originally someone getting confused between National Youth Ballet and English Youth Ballet!

• Like 2

My Dd was offered a place in the company at auditions back in April. But for several reasons she had to turn it down. From the little that we know I think it will be contemporary dance no ballet. As well as the Thursday rehearsals Dd was asked to commit to many weekends as well. The first performance for the company was due to be at big dance 2012 in Traflagar square and also something at Greenwich leading up to the olympics( on a week day though so Dd would have needed time off school). Dd said that the dance they did at the audition was of a high standard and she enjoyed it, she was disappointed to have to turn it down. There is another person on here who's Dd also had a place she might be able to tell you more.

Hi, my DD is part of this group and absolutely loves it.

It was set up after Easter and meets on a Thursday early evening in Hammersmith.We also had to commit to some weekends in the run up to The Big Dance in Trafalgar Square.

It was primarily contemporary last term as this was dictated by the choreography required for Big Dance. However I know that they intend to do much more ballet work this coming term but it will not just be limited to this.

The artistic director is called Holly Noble and she also has her own dance company called ADDance which you could also look up.

DD says that the standard is high and much is expected from them. So in essence I would highly recommend going along to the auditions and who knows what may come of it. If you have any more questions feel free to DM me, hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

They are now taught ballet technique by Renato Peroni at the beginning of their rehearsal - Tamara Rojo's private ballet teacher. A few of the dancers have also been selected by Tamara Rojo to perform with ENB at the London Coliseum in July. 

• Like 3

My DD auditioned last autumn and was offered a place - she had a lovely time. Unfortunately it was impossible to get to the weekly classes from Suffolk so she had to decline. Another student from Dance East accepted and has really enjoyed it - I think his school was more flexible and he lives a little closer.

A lovely day at a lovely venue - and parents can do the museums during the audition  :D

• Like 1

For anyone interested in applying see this e-mail I was sent for DD

Dear Dancer,

English National Ballet is inviting young dancers between the ages of 14-19 years to participate in a taster workshop aimed at recruiting dancers for its Youth Dance Company. The Company promotes innovation, personal creativity and commitment, whilst focusing on the development of each participant’s potential. Led by Youth Dance Company Artistic Director Holly Noble, participants will have the opportunity to meet and work with the current members.

Launched in April 2012, ENBYouthCo meets on Friday evenings at Markova House. Since its inception, the company has gone from strength to strength performing at a number of locations and events across London. Their inaugural performance was as part of Wayne McGregor's Big Dance Trafalgar Square 2012 and they have since been selected as one of the leading youth companies in the country, performing a new work at ReFresh at The Place with music selected by hip hop artist Jonzi.D. Most recently the youth company has performed at the Clore Ballroom, Richdance and at Roehampton University’s dance festival.

Current company dancers have been successful in securing places at Rambert School, Northern School of Contemporary Dance, Tring Park and Central School of Ballet.

There are two workshop dates to choose from, Saturday 27 July and Thursday 22 August from 10am-1pm. The classes will take place at English National Ballet studios, Markova House, 39 Jay Mews, London, SW7 2ES. Dancers from the taster workshops who are offered a place with the youth company will start in September.

We are interested to hear from dancers with both ballet and contemporary experience.

To register your place on the workshop please fill out the attached form, ticking your preferred workshop date and email back to laura.harvey@ballet.org.uk or send to English National Ballet, 39 Jay Mews, London, SW7 2ES

You must register your place by Monday 15 July 2013.

I look forward to receiving your application.

With best wishes,

Laura

• 3 years later...

Hello, does anybody know what is happening with this scheme more recently? I've had an email from them about auditions, and was just wondering whether it would be worthwhile? I prefer classical but do study contemporary, where would the classes take place? On what day/time? How often? Etc etc!

• Like 1

ENBYouthCo is a great opportunity for anyone thinking about auditioning. Auditions are on Sunday 21st May - you can apply here

https://www.ballet.org.uk/blog-detail/just-announced-enbyouthco-auditions/

They meet on Friday evenings at Markova House 6.30-8.30pm and also have some Sunday rehearsals/ workshops. The Summer term is relatively short and finishes before the exam season gets too intense as well. They have a fabulous Artistic Director Jo Meredith who works really hard to get the best from everyone and have wonderful opportunities to meet Company Dancers, work with great choreographers and learn a lot from each other. The standard is high and fast paced and the work has its roots in both ballet(no pointe work though and contemporary dance - They are encouraged to think of themselves as dancers first and foremost rather than ballet, or contemporary dancers and draw on each other's skills. Why not go and audition? You will find them a welcoming group and will get a better feel for whether it's for you, or not then. You can see a bit more of them here if you haven't seen this video on the website 

https://www.ballet.org.uk/project/enbyouthco/