Beautiful moth

alison

A few days ago, while walking to work, I saw a very pretty butterfly which I didn't recognise: black-and-yellowy-white striped wings, with something not unlike a peacock (butterfly!) colouring underneath. I've just had another one fly into the flat this evening and go a bit mad around the kitchen light, which made me wonder if it was actually a moth, although I'd never seen one quite this pretty. Sure enough, it turns out to be a Jersey Tiger moth which, surprise surprise, is normally resident in Jersey (Channel Islands, not Bruce Springsteen country, just in case any of our US readers are confused!) and south-west England, but now seems to be becoming established in South London, too. Very attractive. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22jersey+tiger+moth%22&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Jh0wUI7zC8nN0QWw3IDoDA&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=603

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
15 hours ago, alison said:

5973ed37a58a5_Yellowmoth.jpg.13a07f19eda7eab81b8f230a6afc80aa.jpg

More distressing, though, is the number of pretty moths recently which seem to be trying to commit suicide usually in my bathroom.  The above today, and this one a while ago:

5973ee287e7c2_Greenmoth.jpg.6b3c573b8415a9bc84ec84bc5a94fcbe.jpg

Alison, I think the yellow one is a swallowtail moth.  Apparently they are quite common in England but I've never seen one!  Don't know about the dark green one.

Anne, you're right: it turns out that it is a Swallowtail, so thanks.  The green one is, I think, some sort of Emerald, although clearly on its way out to judge by its condition.  I just wonder where on earth they've come from when I don't have any windows open!

How pretty! The dark green one looks like mint leaves. :)

I had to google a very pretty pinkish-red and black moth resting in the sunshine in my garden; it turned out to be a Cinnabar Moth:  http://butterfly-conservation.org/11908-1319/cinnabar.html

Never seen one before so perhaps a new wild flower has sprung up under the trees at the top of the garden?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had one of these in the house last night as well: https://www.norfolkmoths.co.uk/?bf=19610

Pale blue, but still rather brighter than the picture shows - another pretty one.  I assumed it had to be related to the Emerald ones because of the patterning.  Don't know where they're all coming from this year.  Plus another one when I manage to get the camera hooked up to the computer ...

• Like 1