Audience Behaviour

I agree about stronger announcements.. It's sad but true that it does need to be spelled out. Plus, even with those who do switch off their phones I am completely bemused at how so many leave it until the absolute last second as if they're going to miss out on something so vital. I definitely find the cinema screening audiences better than theatre ones-interesting seeing that the theatre tickets usually cost at least twice as much. I can't get my head around spending money to just sit in a theatre and do the texting and web browsing you can do for free at home.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the talking was loud last night at the ROH but I was expecting it because of reading this Forum so this softened the blow so to speak.

As I looked around in the Amphi... and I was in row B ....a lot of the noise seemed to be coming from the slips which surprised me as I always thought die hard ballet supporters sat there. This may have been an illusion as the sound wasn't only in the Amphi of course....the stalls circle seemed to,be having a good old chat too .....at least the side I could see well.

I felt lucky as not much sound immediately around our rows and the two ladies next to me who didn't normally go to the ballet as they were more regular opera goers but not a peep out of them when there was no action going on.

I need to get my cast list thingy as I don't remember seeing any info on it that there was a "pause" between Acts 2 and 3 ......it just showed the two acts together so you knew there was no interval etc but neither did it mention the pause.

I think it does need mentioning on the programme or cast list .....that there will be a small musical only interlude and it would be appreciated if people respected this.

I didn't feel the audience wasn't typical last night though ....just because Osipova was dancing( the two ladies next to me didn't know who she was!!) so no excuses!!

I need to get my cast list thingy as I don't remember seeing any info on it that there was a "pause" between Acts 2 and 3 ......it just showed the two acts together so you knew there was no interval etc but neither did it mention the pause.

I think the point is that there isn't a pause; the performance continues immediately with the orchestra playing a prelude.  A pause between acts (as we often get with opera performances) has the performance stopped completely (no music, curtains closed) and is usually accompanied by the house lights rising to half.

May I ask any German ballet fans how the audience behaves ? I have no experience of German ballet going, but a few months ago my first trip to Germany was spent mostly stranded in Hamburg coach station (a tiny, tiny place) My connecting coach was due around midnight.At around 10pm all of a sudden a chap in a high viz jacket arrived shouting something ( I speak no German but gathered that the station was closing for the night). Everybody promptly got up and left the relative warmth of the bus enclosure (I followed) with not so much as an eye roll (it was -2 outside)....to wait for their coaches outside. I was rather surprised and impressed....

My experience in recent years is limited to a few performances by Stuttgart Ballet and by Gauthier Dance, where I haven’t come across any of the topics that have been mentioned here recently - bearing in mind that these performances were mostly mixed bills, and all of them were non-narrative evening performances.

The only aspect that has bothered me since I moved here was during a theatre performance of Florian Zeller’s Father towards the end of last year, where a good part of the audience spent most of the first scene laughing at the old gentleman’s mishaps. This stopped thankfully shortly afterwards, quite possibly as and when they realised that there weren’t in the process of watching a comedy. As someone who has experienced dementia in my own family, I found the laughter rather difficult to bear. Having said that, I didn’t see Father in London when I was living there so I am unable to tell whether the play triggered a similar reaction from part of the audience there and then (or in Paris, for that matter when it was performed there).

• Like 1

This business of people being allowed to go in and out of the auditorium during the performance sounds like yet another way (the most obvious being food and drink allowed in the auditorium) where the theatre is trying to be more like the cinema. The trouble is that rows of seats at cinemas are usually further apart, so it's not quite such a production to get in and out. But still, it can be annoying enough in the cinema - in the theatre where there are live performers, it's really not on unless there's some sort of emergency.

It's sad that people can't sit still for an hour or go without eating and drinking for a while, but that does seem to be the way of it these days.

• Like 1

May I ask any German ballet fans how the audience behaves ?

Ellie, I’ve never experienced anybody eating / drinking at our three opera houses or at theatres / concerts here. Latecomers wait outside. Filming or sound recording is not permitted and the use of phones is strongly discouraged, there are always announcements before the start of a performance.

At smaller or more informal venues, sometimes people bring drinks from the bar but that’s it.

I remember one of my first posts here on balletco must have been after my first visit to the RB’s Sleeping Beauty in 2014, when I was somehow surprised by the mediocre behavior of the audience (checking phones during the Interlude etc).

• Like 1

I can believe that. I go to the ballet a lot with a German friend.  Even after many years in this country his face is often a mask of frozen disbelief at some of the behaviour in the auditorium ( and on the streets).

It makes me feel very embarrassed.

• Like 2

This business of people being allowed to go in and out of the auditorium during the performance sounds like yet another way (the most obvious being food and drink allowed in the auditorium) where the theatre is trying to be more like the cinema. The trouble is that rows of seats at cinemas are usually further apart, so it's not quite such a production to get in and out. But still, it can be annoying enough in the cinema - in the theatre where there are live performers, it's really not on unless there's some sort of emergency.

It's sad that people can't sit still for an hour or go without eating and drinking for a while, but that does seem to be the way of it these days.

I don't think cinemas should allow people to keep going backwards and forwards either.  The trouble is, with cinemas now having multiple screens, often they don't seem to have a dedicated member of staff for that particular screen to prevent people leaving and re-entering noisily once the film has started.  

And I am always shocked that the people who often push their way in and out in cinemas are not youngsters, but mature individuals who certainly would not have been allowed to do it when they were teenagers/young adults.  I still haven't got over the "gentleman" who stood up and had a long, loud conversation with his three companions as to what flavour ice cream they would like....20 minutes into the main film.   :angry: They had been sitting there through endless adverts and Coming Soon trailers, so why the heck couldn't they have bought their refreshments then?

What is the matter with people today?  I just don't get it, I really don't.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 8

I quite like watching the up-and-coming trailers, so lost it a bit when the pair sitting directly behind me (in an almost empty cinema), were talking so loudly about work that I got a bit cross, stood up, turned round and asked them to be quiet. And it worked!!! I was a bit gabberflasted at my own boldness, and I assume they were too, which is why they shut up :)

• Like 3

I think so many people nowadays are used to all entertainment being around them that even live performances are just regarded as wallpaper. So they go to the theatre and just treat it like their sitting room, totally disregarding the fact that they are watching live performers who could well, especially in smaller venues,be distracted by the noise being made by an inattentive audience. Apart from the disturbance to their fellow audience members it shows a total lack of respect to the performers, and we hear a lot these days about having respect for other people.

• Like 5

The amount of talking during the orchestral interlude at the ROH last night was deafening. I was furious because Lauren's beautiful dancing in the first two acts had woven such a magical spell around me that I wanted to remain in that place. Instead, I was brought back to earth with a thud by all the inane yabbering around me. I was standing in the stalls circle and am pleased to report that the standees in my field of vision all remained respectfully silent! Maybe there is hope yet....

• Like 1

It really was deafening last night. I started fantasising about whistling loudly and then shouting 'Quiet, orchestra playing'. I wonder whether I'd be thrown out if I did that. Restrained myself to a shush when the curtain went up.

Edited by Coated
  • Like 1

signage scattered around the front of house (Floral Hall, Amphi bar, near the entrance doors etc), or even projected onto the front curtain - should read:  "music on, mouth off"

Perhaps the gobby-mob might get the message....(he says, somewhat optimistcally)

• Like 2

signage scattered around the front of house (Floral Hall, Amphi bar, near the entrance doors etc), or even projected onto the front curtain - should read:  "music on, mouth off"

Perhaps the gobby-mob might get the message....(he says, somewhat optimistcally)

Last night was the loudest ever I think, and the poor usher near me was rushing around trying to stop people having telephone conversations, from the very top of the amphi I could see mobile phone lights everywhere!

What can be done? There are obviously two totally different streams of theatregoers these days, those that go for enjoyment of the performance they have paid for and those who want a night out or 'an experience' Maybe theatres are a little to blame with their provision of super seats, packages with drinks included, and expensive catering. The ROH is partially guilty of this and it will probably be worse when the Open Up project is finished. Notes in programmes and vigilant ushers seem to have little effect. Any bright ideas for ensuring that those of us who go to enjoy ourselves quietly can continue to do so?

• Like 1

I think some tourists talk also, Bruce! We (loosely defined as the offenders detailed in previous posts) are not alone in talking during these 'music is playing' moments I'm sure.

Vigilant ushers can only do so much. At the first SB I watched in this run, an usher dashed down the stalls aisle three times to tell the same person to stop photographing or filming the show. Often the culprits don't care and carry on!

In China I read that they shine lasers on those talking, but it'd be like Woolf Works all over again if they did it in Sleeping Beauty! ????

Yes, Mab, it was. I was in the SCS and the noise was incredible. A few seconds in I tried a fairly loud "ssshhh" but just got stared at incredulously..... the house lights should NOT go up at all.

I think that's key - if they didn't have the lights on the curtain, people wouldn't get the subliminal message that it's some sort of pause/intermission.

• Like 5

It really was deafening last night. I started fantasising about whistling loudly and then shouting 'Quiet, orchestra playing'. I wonder whether I'd be thrown out if I did that. Restrained myself to a shush when the curtain went up.

I am imaginig this SO vividly now. :-D

I remember a Nutcracker matinee somewhere else where a lot of schoolchildren were so noisy during the ouverture that the conductor stopped and lectured the audience about what an ouverture is and why one has to sit silently and listen.

Then the music resumed and everybody was quiet.

• Like 5

Wouldn't it be relatively straightforward to project very large and simple messages onto the curtain?  "Please switch all mobiles off now" 5 minutes before curtain up etc.  Or in extremis "The music is still paying for God's sake so just SHUT UP!!"

• Like 3

I don't understand all this stuff about not turning off mobiles at the theatre and the ROH. It is mandatory at cinemas which always have a trailer in the advert. We now watch ballet via live link and I only look at my phone during the interval and only then to see if the ballet is trending on Twitter or what my ballet friends are saying about it.

• Like 2

I think it has been so bad at this current run of SB, that in the future, there should be a recorded announcement just before the curtain rises on Act 2, to say:  "There is no interval between Acts 2 & 3, the curtain will remain closed for 3 minutes (or whatever), the orchestra will continue to play, and that this is all part of the performance.  Members of the audience should refrain from talking, shouting, laughing, using mobile phones, throwing things at the people below, enjoying a picnic lunch or dinner, having sex or any of the other activities they normally do when they have three minutes to spare with nothing to see.".

Well, ok, maybe they could leave out the bit about having a picnic.  Might take longer than 3 minutes. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 12

Was at BRBs lovely CInderella at The Lowry last night - a lot of very noisy sweet wrappings being rustled grrrrrr why can; they eat them in the interval and not at the quietest part of the music.

I was there too and was surprised at the number of very young children at an evening performance. Also the number of people that came in late and were allowed to disrupt whole rows.

Strawberyy I was there too and had the same thought as you about the number of very young children, especially considering the ballet didn't end until 10 pm. I've not seen so many children even at Nutcrackers. I imagine the title 'Cinderella' has connotations of Disney/Panto and might attract family audiences who don't quite know the ballet, and if that is the case, and some of them did not quite get what they expected, they may yet have enjoyed the brilliant performance. I must admit it was good to see the Lowry so full, and although I am naturally a disapproving grump, I did not see directly any bad behaviour from the children. Late arrivals in my section were dealt with discreetly by the Lowry volunteers and were not allowed to disturb full rows, sorry to hear this was not the case for you.

Indulging a bit more in my disapproval, the lack of rules and discipline, especially for children I must admit irritates me. Since the dawn of 24 hour supermarkets I often shop late (avoiding the hell of family rush hour with children running around the aisles) but nonetheless see adults with very young children there after 10 pm. I must confess this irritates me, it seems to be to show a casual disregard for discipline and a kind of selfish laziness. I try to remind myself that society is now very different to even 20 years ago, including economic pressures on parents leading to odd and difficult working patterns and knock on effects on childrens' upbringing. But then you see a child being allowed to play a loud harmonica as they are wheeled round the supermarket, with the adult seeming to have no concept that this might be annoying to other people .... I'd better not get started ... 

And yes Don Q Fan I was slightly aware of the rustling sweet wrappers but to be honest the ballet was so enthralling it hardly bothered me. And it's probably a case of confirmation bias, but why do the people who have seats in the middle of long rows always turn up last and make everyone stand up for them ?

• Like 1