Audience Behaviour

I can't imagine why somebody wouldn't like classical music *at all*... given the fact that in the broader sense of the word, the term covers over 400 years' worth of repertoire. That's a lot of music to write off.

I agree it is a lot of music to write off but I don't think most children are as exposed to classical music as, for example, I was when I was at school.

One of our teachers used a clever device to get our interest.  She mentioned various TV programmes and adverts and asked if we liked the music they used.  She then told us which pieces they were.  I believe it did open our minds.  People may like a piece of music but may not realise that it is defined as "classical".  

• Like 5

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a terrific music teacher at my primary school. She was knowledgeable and enthusiastic and got us organised into a great choir. My secondary school was very different - the music teacher was obsessed with Beethoven and used to play piano pieces incredibly badly. If you liked music it was torture. If you weren't bothered, it was likely to put you off for life. There was no attempt to interest or inspire. It was just sort of deadening.

As for the fingernail picker mentioned above, truly disgusting. I would have had to move too. Much like the smelly feet, body odour and other revolting, anti social behaviours mentioned on this thread, I do wonder at humans sometimes and their complete lack of self knowledge, awareness, manners and basic cleanliness. How difficult is it to at least be clean?

• Like 1

Don't!  You've just revived an awful memory of sitting next to a woman in the upper slips during a performance of Il Turco in Italia who didn't stop fidgeting and, more ominously, scratching.  On my way down the escalator at the end I felt a fearful itching around my ankles.  That bloody woman's fleas had migrated!

Edited by MAB

For a few days now I've been wondering about this usage of "boot", thinking, "Oh that must be some British English expression for what we dictionary editors would define as "a contemptible person". Maybe I'll adopt it. "You BOOT! please stop talking during the performance!!!"

I only just twigged that it was meant to be "boor".

:lol: :lol:

As you were. Nothing to see here.

SORRY! I can't type on my phone :( :(

SORRY! I can't type on my phone :( :(

I rather like toursenlair's initial thought - you Boot!! Could be adapted according to feelings involved. You Clog!! You Slipper!! You Flip-Flop!! You Stiletto!! Unfortunately You Pointe Shoe!! doesn't have quite the same ring. :)

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 8

I rather like toursenlair's initial thought - you Boot!! Could be adapted according to feelings involved. You Clog!! You Slipper!! You Flip-Flop!! You Stiletto!! Unfortunately You Pointe Shoe!! doesn't have quite the same ring. :)

And each type of shoe could be directed towards a particular type of person.

• Like 4

How about : That dancer is a real heel - he is never in-step, and even when he gives it some welly there is just no sole..... load of cobblers if you ask me.

"gives it some welly"??? Now THAT really is UK English. What does it mean? "Load of cobblers" is too but at least I know what that means.

"gives it some welly"??? Now THAT really is UK English. What does it mean? "Load of cobblers" is too but at least I know what that means.

Give it some welly means if driving a vehicle - put your foot down, speed up and that sort of thing. Generally, it just means to put some power into something, run faster, get on with it - give it some welly!!

I don't know where it originates from, possibly tractor related, but it is an expression I rather like.

• Like 3

When i went to the half term matinee with Francesca Hayward, there were many young children in the auditorium including a very young girl behind me (I had forgotten it would be half term when i booked..) .  She was incredibly well behaved.  In fact, it was the two ladies who were with her who were chatting throughout and even turned around to talk to people on different rows during the 'Marche' between Act 2 and Act 3.

• Like 1

I'm glad to say that at Sleeping Beauty today at the ROH the audience was MUCH quieter when the orchestra were playing before Act III. Not sure why because there were no announcements or instructions. There wasn't silence, but only a small amount of talking. Whereas at a performance before Christmas it was as if the audience was deliberately trying to drown out the orchestra - incredible level of noise. And two weeks ago it was pretty noisy too. Today: not! Strange but very welcome.

• Like 1

bridiem, I'm so glad that you didn't have any difficulties with talking in your part of the auditorium. I don't know where you were sitting but I was in the Stalls Circle standing and I'm afraid there were still a lot of people chatting away to each other. My initial shush was mostly successful, but after 30 seconds everyone in the area went back to talking and any subsequent shushing proved ineffectual. Some people were still talking (and did not cease for a while) when the curtains opened.

bridiem, I'm so glad that you didn't have any difficulties with talking in your part of the auditorium. I don't know where you were sitting but I was in the Stalls Circle standing and I'm afraid there were still a lot of people chatting away to each other. My initial shush was mostly successful, but after 30 seconds everyone in the area went back to talking and any subsequent shushing proved ineffectual. Some people were still talking (and did not cease for a while) when the curtains opened.

I was in the side amphi, VickyPage. Sounds as if it was a lot better than where you were, on this occasion. I'm sorry you had the disturbance (but at least the noise didn't carry upwards too much!).

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

Three cheers for the usher in the upper slips this afternoon who leaned over and ordered the woman sitting just below us to switch her phone off :)

Hear, hear, and rather different from the situation in the front few rows of the side amphi on Thursday evening when, after the prologue and act 1, a young women moved into an empty seat in row A. Her phone flashed continually throughout act 2 distracting everyone sitting behind her and she leaned so far forward that the couple next to me couldn't see the stage at all. During the pause before act 4, more than one person sitting behind her asked her to switch off her phone and sit back and when she completely ignored them, my neighbours asked the usher to intervene.

I was surprised, first of all, that the usher needed to be asked and even more surprised when, as the young woman ignored him too, he moved away and left her to it with the result that the couple next to me missed the whole of act 3 as well as act 2. My friend and I advised them to have a word with the management. I really hope that they did.

• Like 3

Today's matinee was good except for the elderly person in the front row balcony centre who firstly loudly tapped his crutch (yes crutch) along to the music then after that was stopped by whoever he persisted in slapping his hand on his leg throughout. Very annoying. Ok I'll be that age and with it or not one day, but if I do something like that someone please shoot me! Bluebird passed me by for the distraction caused.

• Like 1

Have I discovered a new problem? Last night I was sitting in the ROH near several people with Apple smart watches (no idea what they are called, but they are big squarish watches which appear to be able to operate like smartphones as well as watches, ie deliver email etc) At least one of them found his "watch" far more interesting than Osipova, and so lit up the amphitheatre with the technology on his wrist while the performance was going on.

The most exciting thing for him seemed to be reading emails, which he did until his neighbour finally told him to stop it.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 2

I'm always careful to make sure my Apple Watch isn't going to light up in theatres (and ballet classes for that mattter) - they're adding a new question setting to make that easier in the next OS version, though it won't help with idiots like that.

Hear, hear, and rather different from the situation in the front few rows of the side amphi on Thursday evening when, after the prologue and act 1, a young women moved into an empty seat in row A. Her phone flashed continually throughout act 2 distracting everyone sitting behind her and she leaned so far forward that the couple next to me couldn't see the stage at all. During the pause before act 4, more than one person sitting behind her asked her to switch off her phone and sit back and when she completely ignored them, my neighbours asked the usher to intervene.

I was surprised, first of all, that the usher needed to be asked and even more surprised when, as the young woman ignored him too, he moved away and left her to it with the result that the couple next to me missed the whole of act 3 as well as act 2. My friend and I advised them to have a word with the management. I really hope that they did.

That is shocking!  I think I might have been tempted to ask her if she wanted to try the expensive seats in the stalls. Without going down the stairs. 

• Like 7

You would think in this day and age of technology that ROH could install some sort of phone blocking mechanism a counter signal sort of things to render phones useless in the auditorium.  So along with people unable to do without food for 35-50 ,minutes its the same with phones etc...you do wonder why they spend the not inconsiderable amount of money on tickets for a prestigious event.

• Like 1

Have I discovered a new problem? Last night I was sitting in the ROH near several people with Apple smart watches (no idea what they are called, but they are big squarish watches which appear to be able to operate like smartphones as well as watches, ie deliver email etc) At least one of them found his "watch" far more interesting than Osipova, and so lit up the amphitheatre with the technology on his wrist while the performance was going on.

The most exciting thing for him seemed to be reading emails, which he did until his neighbour finally told him to stop it.

Just the flash from those watches is enough to raise my blood pressure! Even when the wearer ignores them, the illumination goes on.

• Like 1

I love this idea, Fonty. A temptation I shall find increasingly hard to resist in future.

Better start warning those in the stalls!! :o (You buy this ticket at your own risk... etc)

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 2

Better start warning those in the stalls!! :o (You buy this ticket at your own risk... etc)

Perhaps rather than going down, forgive the pun, offenders could be catapulted into a large net suspended from the auditorium ceiling, or stuck to velcro there or for the worst and/or repeat offenders, launched through the ceiling hatch and into space. After which, who cares. You go into orbit at your own risk. Don't say you were not warned or you didn't realise your behaviour was obnoxious and anti social. No one can hear you in space. Byeeeee!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 7

I wasn't sure whether to post on the Sleeping Beauty thread  - but have gone for this discussion as the current run has really brought it home for me (not that I didn't know already!) how the audience can really make or break a performance. While agreeing totally with all the enthusiastic comments regarding Francesca's debut, I am sorry to say that I wasn't able to enjoy that matinee at all - it's a huge shame when such a lovely occasion and important debut can be ruined, but ruined it was - with endless loud unwrapping of sweets (continuous), children being hauled onto laps (distracting), and another being taken to the bathroom, meaning the whole row had to stand up, during the grand pas de deux! And this without mentioning the noisy conversations (covered above) during the Act 2 and 3 break.  If anyone has any tips for not getting wound up and letting the audience 'get to you', I'd be really grateful!  

Meanwhile, as many others have commented, last Saturday's matinee was completely different (at least where I was sitting) - it was so lovely to sit back and enjoy the wonderful performances without blood pressure going through the roof!  I overheard a woman in the ladies saying to a little girl 'go now as you have to sit for a whole hour' - so good to hear it being explained that just getting up from your seat when you felt like it was not an option.  Even the dreaded conversation through the music was very muted and there was some applause for the orchestra.  

And last night at the cinema the audience was totally rapt - which has been my experience at every screening, even given the different, more relaxed, atmosphere of the cinema as opposed to the ROH.  I wonder what makes it so - I for one love the fact that we can sit back and enjoy the show with our coffee but everyone seems so much more respectful of each other in the cinema. I can't work why that should be but it definitely seems that way.

Such a shame that this increasing lack of respect is impacting so hugely on enjoyment.  I once sat next to a very long time ballet goer in a performance of Romeo in the narrow part of the horseshoe in the amphi. I did a bit of chuntering about the people in front as they were leaning forward and blocking my view.  She replied that she never minded about this as she would be seeing lots of performances and it might be their first time. Have to say that this brought me up a bit short and made me think that I should try and be equally generous, but it is easier to be so if the reason for the disruption is that someone is really caught up with the action on stage and just wants to see what is going on.  The people just chatting and checking their mobiles don't appear interested and just prevent others from having a good time.

Just read in the Times that Imelda Staunton has asked that no food be allowed into forthcoming performances of Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? (what have we come to?). On the other hand, Kit Hartington said that theatre would die if these sorts of rules   prevented young people from coming - so do we just have to accept that genies can't be put back in bottles?

• Like 3