Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have trouble with the dreaded "throat tickle from nowhere" which is pretty much impossible to suppress. However I have found that if I can really force myself to relax (not easy as one's instinct is to tense up in panic!) I can get control of the coughing much more easily - and water or a cough sweet also helps.

• Like 1

I had a really scary experience last week on a dance course.

It was the lunch break and one of the dancers had just given herself a good spray with a deodorant before dashing off to grab a bite to eat.

The class had only just finished so I was a bit puffed still but not excessively. Anyway I felt an initial tickle in my throat after this spray and then a bit of a cough and I drank some water left over from the class however I couldn't stop this cough and then my whole thrall seized up and I couldn't take a breath in!

Luckily one of the dancers there (whose son suffers from asthma) noticed I was in difficulties and took me outside the room and sort of helped me to breathe again!

I've never experienced anything like this before and hope I'm not developing asthma at my age but I think it was an allergic reaction to this spray.

I'm saying all,this because it could happen in a theatre ....people surprisingly do spray perfume around copiously on occasions not always in the cloakroom!!

So occasionally things in the atmosphere might set you off even when you havent got a bad cold/cough etc

I don't happen to think that on the whole most people cough for pleasure or competition and for most when it does happen it's very irritating and annoying and sometimes embarrassing.

Lin that sounds awful!! :( hope you were okay afterwards!!!

I have mild asthma which seems to have flared up recently- during Corsaire on Saturday I kept desperately needing to cough, but tried to hold it in until during the applause!

The Stalls Circle Standing area seemed suspiciously overcrowded, there must have been at least double the amount of people standing than there were tickets for....

And WHY the gentleman sat just in front of me decided to noisily swap seats with his companion DURING a variation, I have no idea!!! Grr!!

• Like 4

Where I worked people were not allowed to spray perfume or deodorant as it could cause problems.

I adore perfume (and makeup) and have whiled away many happy hours in perfume departments.  However as I have got older I have discovered that I have much less tolerance of perfume so I no longer spray it on my wrist until I have tried it on a card.  Strong perfume can not only give me a headache but cause me to cough too.

I was always told that if a perfume really suits you, you cannot smell it on yourself.  If people do not realise this it can make them keep spraying because they think the perfume has worn off.  And then you are sitting next to them and it knocks you out!

• Like 5

Last month I had a very mild cold and cough. However once on the tube (on the way to watch a voc school performance) my cough became uncontrollable, I even left my seat as I felt so sorry for the lady beside me - she probably thought I had TB or something -On the walk from the station to the theatre I was fine, but once in the theatre with the air con and the lady beside me (understandably fanning herself- it was rather warm) the cough started again. I spent the first half of the performance sweating, eyes watering and rather shattered and embarrassed trying to suppress the cough....I left in the interval and once at home didn't cough again :/

Where I worked people were not allowed to spray perfume or deodorant as it could cause problems.

I adore perfume (and makeup) and have whiled away many happy hours in perfume departments.  However as I have got older I have discovered that I have much less tolerance of perfume so I no longer spray it on my wrist until I have tried it on a card.  Strong perfume can not only give me a headache but cause me to cough too.

I was always told that if a perfume really suits you, you cannot smell it on yourself.  If people do not realise this it can make them keep spraying because they think the perfume has worn off.  And then you are sitting next to them and it knocks you out!

I too have heard that if a perfume suits you you can't smell it yourself.

One of the House Rules I saw for the Royal Opera House in STOCKHOLM is as follows:-

PERFUME

Keep in mind that many people may be sensitive to strong smells. Please refrain from perfumes to make the visit at the Opera pleasant for allergy sufferers.

I also find that as some people seem to bring out out their seldom used perfume which they got for Xmas 10 years ago and unfortunately for us neighbours this has actually gone off so it smells even worse than a fresh bottle!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

I was sitting in the stalls circle for Corsaire on Saturday afternoon & although the audience was very well behaved there was a dreadful smell of stale alcohol! My friend could see a couple of men drinking from a bottle or flask. It really was most unpleasant.

Susan

Wish they could bring programmes like THIS to Sadler's Wells .... or even the Coliseum ... (Scroll down for programme and casting) ... Somehow I'm sure they would have no problem filling one or two performances - (do you think they would? ... Maybe I'm wrong about the proclivities of current indigenous audiences - but certainly the tourist factor would scurry inside I think - much as they did for the Bolshoi) - and certainly THAT audience - whate'er its national makeup - would I hope be so mesmerised as to be stunned into silence ;)

Also such a programme would be a chance to see:  (i) a goodly number of ballet dancers who otherwise are not to be seen in London ... (ii) long favoured ballet personages who have largely retired dance again and certainly some (iii) ballet (as opposed to contemporary) repertory which would not otherwise be seen hereabouts.  

I myself would love to see Murphy/Heymann in a Fille pas; in the TPDD or a PDD from Who Cares ... or Ferri/Cornejo in a segement from Ashton's Rhapsody or - and perhaps most especially - in a R&J take by THARP ... Now THAT would be interesting!!! ... or to have the ravishing C Trenary introduced to British audiences  ... especially in the thrall of M. Gomes or (and how I would love this) to be able to once again glimpse a personal favourite - Ananiashvili - in ANYTHING nowadays.  That latter - Ananiashvili I mean - would definitely be a glorious blast from certain people's past and here I include myself.  The lady ALWAYS was a class act :)

Surely such a programme would help teach decorum to one and all  :)   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Sounds fab-u-lous!  Apart from Russian Icons we don't really get many, if any, galas here (Gary Avis has one soon but Ipswich too awkward for me).  Guess we are seen as having more than our fair share with having so many companies resident.  Lucky Japan though!

• Like 1

Oh has anyone else noticed how the Royal Opera House stinks of fish lately?  It is awful - I think it is since they have expanded the dining areas into the Hamlyn Hall - the smell hit me as soon as I walked in on Saturday I mentioned it to staff in passing but they could not smell it.  On one performance of DonQ (BOlshoi) I could even smell fish in the auditorium - quite off putting.

Sounds fab-u-lous!  Apart from Russian Icons we don't really get many, if any, galas here (Gary Avis has one soon but Ipswich too awkward for me).  Guess we are seen as having more than our fair share with having so many companies resident.  Lucky Japan though!

This kind of all-stars gala has been Japanese specialty for years. Occasionally, one may come across some exquisite dancing, most of the time, however, such galas are really stilted.

Considering your comments about the smells of various dishes invading the auditorium, for quite some time I have been feeling rather uneasy about an imbalance between High Arts and 'arts gastronomiques' under the roof of the Royal Opera House.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Today's general rehearsal of Norma at Covent Garden was initially marred for me by a young woman sitting close by in the stalls. She had a mobile phone which seemed far more interesting to her than the opera (she clearly was not staff or involved with the production in any way, otherwise it is just possible that she might I suppose have been sending messages backstage).

Eventually, seeing others raising eyebrows with growing discontent and urgency, and as I found myself distracted again by the light of her phone screen, watching her wavering over which was the best emoticon to add to yet another text message (the little jumping rabbit perhaps or maybe the exploding star) inspiration struck me. I leaned over, chose my moment and whispered, "Some of us are trying to work in here" - and she immediately complied, muttered an apology, switched everything off and sat obediently and quietly for the rest of the show.

The line - which I "borrowed" from (name drop coming up, please forgive me) Shelley Winters when she was bothered by little noises during a rehearsal at the Actor's Studio in New York - was clearly effective but afterwards made me sad. Why should asking someone not to disturb work in progress be more effective than saying, you are disrespecting the performers, or annoying an audience that is trying to enjoy this undisturbed, or whatever. The Protestant work ethic trumping all, perhaps? Anyway, feel free to use this in the future, it may work for you too.

Today's general rehearsal of Norma at Covent Garden was initially marred for me by a young woman sitting close by in the stalls. She had a mobile phone which seemed far more interesting to her than the opera (she clearly was not staff or involved with the production in any way, otherwise it is just possible that she might I suppose have been sending messages backstage).

Eventually, seeing others raising eyebrows with growing discontent and urgency, and as I found myself distracted again by the light of her phone screen, watching her wavering over which was the best emoticon to add to yet another text message (the little jumping rabbit perhaps or maybe the exploding star) inspiration struck me. I leaned over, chose my moment and whispered, "Some of us are trying to work in here" - and she immediately complied, muttered an apology, switched everything off and sat obediently and quietly for the rest of the show.

The line - which I "borrowed" from (name drop coming up, please forgive me) Shelley Winters when she was bothered by little noises during a rehearsal at the Actor's Studio in New York - was clearly effective but afterwards made me sad. Why should asking someone not to disturb work in progress be more effective than saying, you are disrespecting the performers, or annoying an audience that is trying to enjoy this undisturbed, or whatever. The Protestant work ethic trumping all, perhaps? Anyway, feel free to use this in the future, it may work for you too.

Hmmm... interesting.  You generally have to be Somebody to get into the stalls at a dress rehearsal, but that can range from being involved with the production to having got a ticket through a cast member.  The only 2 occasions I have ever sat in the ROH Stalls for a dress rehearsal were (a) having been slipped a spare ticket on the way in by a friendly member of front-of-house staff, as a considerable upgrade on my Upper Slips seat - though it did mean it was in the centre block and restricted by the presence of the authorised photographers, and ( b ) a great seat in the side block procured for me by a major cast member as a thank you for a favour.  I could be wrong but I think the front corners are raffled to ROH staff members, too.

I wonder how your neighbour came by hers?

At Semiramide last weekend at the Proms I had a neighbour directly in front of me who from time to time woke up her smartphone and started taking photos.  When she turned around in the interval I recognised her as an opera singer (and former ROH young artist).  I would have hoped that artists would be more considerate.

Edited by RuthE

I only wish the little girl sitting behind me at Gary Avis and Friends in Ipswich yesterday afternoon had heard of Silent Snacks.  What with the rattling of the box of sweets, the rustling as each sweet was unwrapped and the enthusiastic chomping and sucking as each sweet was enjoyed (not to mention the frequent kicking in the back as the little girl crossed or uncrossed her legs, wriggled in her seat or just plain fidgeted - possibly a sugar rush?) my enjoyment of the programme was rather diminished.

But hey, who would dare to spoil a little girl's enjoyment by asking her oblivious mother to curb the enthusiasm?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of Cosi at Covent Garden. Outstanding was Daniel Behle holding us spellbound with 'Un aura amorosa': a rather lively young crowd fell completely silent as (at last) there was some really great singing (no need to take my word for it, see other comments here: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/your-reaction-what-did-you-think-of-mozarts-cosi-fan-tutte)

Just at this point a woman in the amphitheatre started coughing. And coughing. And coughing. From the sound of it she made no attempt to muffle the sound (perhaps she couldn't leave the auditorium but surely she could at least have put her face in her sleeve or something?) She stopped, eventually, just around the point he stopped singing the aria. The whole thing was spoiled.

The reason I am posting is not because of her and her coughing (maybe she was new to the opera house, new to opera, new to music, retarded or in the throws of something maddeningly painful): I am posting because I want to know why those around her did nothing to help. A shush could have made her think; the offer of a scarf to cough into might actually have deadend the sound; thumping her with a programme would probably have been illegal but possibly effective.

In any case the musical highlight was ruined. Bravo Behle (as someone shouted at the end), particularly for not losing focus against an appalling distraction.

I'm not defending her but I was in the middle of the front row of the stalls in Nottingham last year and had the coughing fit to end all coughing fits.  I would have probably caused even more disruption if I had tried to get out.  My coughing fit came out of nowhere - I wonder if there was some haze on the stage or something.  The more I tried to suppress it the worse I got.  I was so embarrassed...

I'm not defending her but I was in the middle of the front row of the stalls in Nottingham last year and had the coughing fit to end all coughing fits.  I would have probably caused even more disruption if I had tried to get out.  My coughing fit came out of nowhere - I wonder if there was some haze on the stage or something.  The more I tried to suppress it the worse I got.  I was so embarrassed...

Janet, from what you say I am sure you did what you could to reduce the sound. Tonight's person did not.

The reason I am posting is not because of her and her coughing (maybe she was new to the opera house, new to opera, new to music, retarded or in the throws of something maddeningly painful): I am posting because I want to know why those around her did nothing to help. A shush could have made her think; the offer of a scarf to cough into might actually have deadend the sound; thumping her with a programme would probably have been illegal but possibly effective.

Sorry Geoff, but I'm not all that sure I like the term 'retarded'.

• Like 6

Moving on from audience behaviour, a word about the cloakroom staff at ROH.

Guys, you really need to get over this renovation business.  Yes, it's a bind but if the Box Office staff can handle operating out of a tiny shop on the corner of the piazza with great efficiency and courtesy, then you surely need to stop being quite so precious.  Tonight was the third time I've had problems and I'm getting just a little fractious.

We GET that space is limited and that you'd prefer us not to arrive with a couple of steamer trunks, a complete set of lycra or a hostess trolley, but one lightweight jacket and a small basket really shouldn't send you into spasm. My nimby award goes to the lady in the foyer who earnestly explained that the best cloakroom for those of us with Grand Tier seats was the one outside the Ampitheatre Restaurant!  When I demurred, she shunted us off to the Conservatory where I was 'instructed' that due to shortage of space, my jacket would need to be folded and packed into my basket.  This was said (with a straight face) against a backdrop of rows of empty hangars, the same ones that greeted us on our return three hours later.  My jacket now looks like a rag.

Some of us travel great distances to visit ROH.  I left home at 1300 and do an eight hour round trip.  I bring as little as possible but need flat shoes for hoofing it over Waterloo Bridge and a book for the journey.  Given the cost of tickets, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to be able to leave a coat and a small bag.  God help us when the weather turns cold. There is a degree of officiousness creeping in at ROH which I don't appreciate.

• Like 6

Oh dear, Penelope.  The original system always had scenes of milling confusion at the end of a performance, I always hated checking anything in, and avoided if I possibly could. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

I can't understand why there are any troubles with coats etc because Berlin, Amsterdam any European theatre usually has little or no such trouble with loads of staff, plenty of room and a smile to serve you with. Crazy.

Now I wish to RANT about the 2 girls (about 9/10) in front of me at ENB Giselle on Friday night.  They ate noisily wrapped and tubbed sweets and drank fizzy drinks (shhh noise each time bottles opened) solidly through BOTH acts whether the music was loud or none at all whilst their mothers sat along side doing NOTHING to tell them to be quiet.  And one had a phone they switched on now and then.  Did these parents not feed their kids before the show? It's not a cinema.  If they are reading this (unlikely - row L Circle Right Manchester Palace) then you really did marr an otherwise stellar performance it's not often a whole theatre falls silent but your girls succeeded spectacularly in breaking every single silence and it's so rude to the dancers and patrons! :angry:

Rant over, and relax  :)

• Like 5

I can't understand why there are any troubles with coats etc because Berlin, Amsterdam any European theatre usually has little or no such trouble with loads of staff, plenty of room and a smile to serve you with. Crazy.

Now I wish to RANT about the 2 girls (about 9/10) in front of me at ENB Giselle on Friday night.  They ate noisily wrapped and tubbed sweets and drank fizzy drinks (shhh noise each time bottles opened) solidly through BOTH acts whether the music was loud or none at all whilst their mothers sat along side doing NOTHING to tell them to be quiet.  And one had a phone they switched on now and then.  Did these parents not feed their kids before the show? It's not a cinema.  If they are reading this (unlikely - row L Circle Right Manchester Palace) then you really did marr an otherwise stellar performance it's not often a whole theatre falls silent but your girls succeeded spectacularly in breaking every single silence and it's so rude to the dancers and patrons! :angry:

Rant over, and relax  :)

I would have called a member of staff.  I did this at ROH when a woman was on her phone the whole time and I got moved to a better seat and she was told to close the phone or leave.

• Like 1

We had an elderly commentator behind us in Stalls S at Fille tonight.  He was enjoying himself greatly but kept up a very audible conversation of appreciative but inane remarks to his wife, for example when Lise was miming wanting three children he chortled loudly and remarked "Two's enough, two's enough".  I left it to the lady in front of me to turn and give him basilisk glares, as I tend to escalate too quickly these days..

• Like 1

At the ROH it's only without a big main cloakroom while the building work is going on, and they apologise for not, at the moment having a proper place for coats etc, only a number of smaller temporary ones at different levels.

I went to see Bejart on Friday lunchtime and I realised there is a problem in going alone - there's nowhere for your elbows! Both ladies on either side of me took all the elbow space and I ended up clutching a large programme, cardigan, handbag and bottle of water with arms cramped up for the nearly two hours of interval-less performance!

Another thing that was difficult was going to the loo - I wish they had a little shelf in each cubicle as well as a handbag hook. Are we supposed to hold the programme in our teeth? As mentioned above - it was a very large one!

• Like 2