Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it one step further and you don't need to enter the auditorium at all. Surely the ROH could devise an even better scheme for those who merely want the "ROH experience" without the bother of sitting in the dark unable to eat or drink alcohol for thirty or forty minutes at a time. There is clearly a market among those who want the freedom to booze as at most performances there are people who try to take glasses of drink into the performance and seem most put out when they can't. I am not suggesting that the ROH should lower its standards and follow the lead given by Sadler's Wells and the Coli, merely that it should make provision for such people by giving them a room where they can drink and talk to their heart's content and watch as much or as little as they want to on a big screen. The ROH equivalent of one of those annexes that the CE introduced to a number of their churches in the 1970's so that church goers would not be distracted by babies and toddlers during the service.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 7

Am I the only one who holds their breath as 'Dance of the Knights' begins in R and J and a whisper of, 'It's the Appentice' goes all round the audience like a Mexican wave? Grrr!

No, I've heard that whisper and others when a piece of music cranks up, along the lines of ooh, isn't that from the ad with the cute kids, ugly but fast car, dancing sheep, holiday destination etc. I admit I have had such product recognition moments myself with some of the more obscure ditties, but manage to keep the excitement internalised.  ;)

• Like 1

What about "Everyone's a Fruit and Nutcase"???

I must confess I still have this thought.  Leading straight into a woman waltzing around a black & white tiled floor with Flash Liquid and a mop, of course...

• Like 2

On a slightly different note, so to speak, I can never see Swan Lake's dance of the Cygnets, without remembering that Morecambe and Wise film, where, dressed as ancient Egyptians for some reason, Eric and Ernie are trying to escape from a genuinely homicidal Rothbart and have no alternative but to join the cygnets on stage. :lol:

• Like 4

When I first saw Swan Lake I was amazed to hear music that I completely associated with the opening of old horror films - took a while for that association to be overridden by balletic ones!

I've been known to snigger during the Arabian segment of The Nutcracker. Whenever I hear it, immediately "I say Holmes, what was that?" leaps into my mind. Why you ask? Spike Jones! His version of The Nutcracker Suite is by far the best.

Isn't it supposed to be the definition of an aesthete to be able to hear the William tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger, or is it Spartcus without thinking of the Onedin Line?

Apparently so, although in my case I grew up without a TV until the age of 14, and therefore never had such associations!

"Who's got a head like a pingpong ball?" (Sung round a scout/guide campfire)

And anyone else know "Oh father, look at Uncle Jim, diving in the bathtub, learning how to swim" ? That's the one that really gets me.

(Perhaps these misplaced earworms need their own section, so people don't alight on them unexpectedly and get caught!!!)

And anyone else know "Oh father, look at Uncle Jim, diving in the bathtub, learning how to swim" ? That's the one that really gets me.

Except I know the latter as "Oh Jemima, look at your Uncle Jim/He's in the duck pond learning how to swim"... it took me quite by surprise when I discovered what the tune actually was, while rehearsing for an opera-choruses concert in my teens.

What's "Who's got a head like a pingpong ball?" (Educated guess: Galop from William Tell overture?)

(Perhaps these misplaced earworms need their own section, so people don't alight on them unexpectedly and get caught!!!)

I remember the Uncle Jim song, although my mother always sang "...diving in the duck pond".

Isn't it supposed to be the definition of an aesthete to be able to hear the William tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger, or is it Spartcus without thinking of the Onedin Line?

I think it's more a definition of when you were born. Am I the only one who can't hear the adagietto from Mahler's 5th without recalling the hair dye running down Dirk Bogarde's face in Visconti's Death in Venice?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My word. Today takes theatre in-seat dining to a new level. Young lady sat next to me in front row at Bristol Hippodrome calmly tucked into smoked salmon salad. The smell of smoked fish was overwhelming. She then proceeded to crack open bag a smelly bag of popcorn. At this point I gave her a withering glare.... popcorn ceased. Aghhh.....

Edited by nottsballetlover

Not sure whether it's bad behaviour, but it certainly falls into the category of entitled.

Anyone who has ever booked the second row of the upper slips will find a little note on their ticket about other patrons blocking the view, after having been given copious warnings when booking.

We often go for the front row of upper slips for opera and take reasonable care to block as little stage view for the 'hearing seats' as possible, but not to the exclusion of seeing only 5% of the stage ourselves. The not leaning at all rule doesn't apply in the slips in the usual fashion due to extreme restrictions otherwise.

A rather entitled patron asked my friend to sit back during the performance to not interfere with her view. This was a few minutes before the performance had even started. Anyway, she was informed that that is a bit of an unreasonable request and we left it at that, but that type of entitlement does spoil things a little, particularly when one normally leaves those seats with backache in the attempt to block as little viewing space as possible.

Edited by Coated

A double first for us tonight, sitting in the front row of the Royal Circle for the Ayckbourne which has just transferred to the Duke of Yorks in the West End:-

* A party of four - also in the front row - noisily shared a large bucket of popcorn until eventually shushed by someone sitting behind them (actually, does popcorn come with a quiet option?)

* And right next to us a man was checking emails, exchanging texts and searching the internet on his phone during much of the performance.

What seemed astonishing to us was, given the size and design of the theatre, there is no way the cast could not see both of these activities, indeed hear one of them. As (massive name drop coming up, sorry) Shelley Winters, sitting in front of me during a rehearsal at the Actor's Studio in New York, said when I made a noise with my nails, "Please, there are people trying to work here".

• Like 1

A double first for us tonight, sitting in the front row of the Royal Circle for the Ayckbourne which has just transferred to the Duke of Yorks in the West End:-

* A party of four - also in the front row - noisily shared a large bucket of popcorn until eventually shushed by someone sitting behind them (actually, does popcorn come with a quiet option?).

Correction, seems like I have failed to move with the times. I have just examined a piece of card I found in my programme: the food is supplied by the theatre management "delivered to your seat". The menu includes, not only two litres of popcorn (which explains where they got it), but boxes of crisps, bottles of wine and cocktails. There is an ATG (a company which presumably hates actors) app for it. So.

• Like 3

Our local ATG company fortunately seems to have stopped selling popcorn now.  When you are booking tickets you get a lot of options for pre-booking snacks and drinks packages.

I've got to admit that, because I go to several ATG theatres, I gave in and got an ATG card.  You don't pay the fees and they have some good card holders offers on tickets.  I've saved over £100 pa for the last 4 years since I have had one.  But you have to work out if it is worth it for you.  

Correction, seems like I have failed to move with the times. I have just examined a piece of card I found in my programme: the food is supplied by the theatre management "delivered to your seat". The menu includes, not only two litres of popcorn (which explains where they got it), but boxes of crisps, bottles of wine and cocktails. There is an ATG (a company which presumably hates actors) app for it. So.

Oh for goodness sake.  You know you are getting old when you can remember a time when people went to the theatre to watch the performers.

And either ate before, and waited until afterwards for their food and drink. 

• Like 11