Mariinsky Ballet: Don Quixote, London, July 2017

52 minutes ago, Coated said:

Shklyarov can come back and guest with the RB anytime. Anytime at all. He is just so incredibly beautiful to watch, sometimes he's just standing on stage with such presence and poise that I nearly forget to watch other proceedings.

He made an adorable, bouncy Basilio. A bit more understated than the previous 2, which worked very nicely, and genuinely funny in his 'death' scene. When he rejected Kitri's advance after she had her hands kissed by his 'love rival', he mimed 'excessive hand kissing' in a wonderfully jealous and annoyed way. He then repeated a ghost of that gesture just before he lay down on his cape in such a droll way that most of the audience around me (self included) caught the giggles. 

I thought Shakirova was very impressive, even more so when someone told me she only graduated and joined the company in 2015. Her movement has a really light quality to it without appearing delicate or fragile and her Kitri had a proper zest for life. And I really didn't expect someone that young to throw out fouetté with such ease and grace.

Those two made a really nice stage couple with lovely chemistry and a bit of mischief thrown in. It felt like they were both taking risks at times to take it up yet another little notch and there were a few bits where the dancing became a little messy, but it was exciting throughout and at times even exhilarating.

Love how you've summed up last night's performance. At the time I was slightly disappointed w the Grand pas because until then they hadn't really put a foot wrong. But you're right & a friend said the same thing this morning - they took a few risks which didn't always work out but the trade off was a far more exciting performance. Shklyarov can be a bit inconsistent technically but he has such wonderful natural charm it really doesn't matter. Shakirova is formidable. I remember the company brought her last time when she was still a student, to dance in DSCH and you could see she would be a star. 

• Like 7

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the above, Vladimir Shklyarov was superb last night, he generated most of the excitement, stopping the show with a marvellous back bend, and again when Renata Shakirova ran across the stage and leapt at him and he twirled her around, it was like Spring Waters! I liked Shakirova very much and she got better as the evening went on, the first act was a little muted I thought, especially after Monday. Saw the same lovely Cupid and Dryad Queen again, but it was Shklyarov that the audience loved, actually his face always reminds me of David Bowie too!

The late starts and curtain calls after every scene drag the evening out, several people near me left before the last act, they might have thought it had ended, also both nights have had bursts of applause whilst waiting for the curtain to go up on the last scene, rather a strange atmosphere, these Russians seasons always are but I do love them!

• Like 3

I think the lack of risks was something I missed on the opening night performance. It just seemed to be missing something, and I thought the dancing was too ‘pretty’ and perhaps a bit too perfect… I definitely left underwhelmed, but am hoping Swan Lake will be better tomorrow.

I do agree with others that it was probably a mistake for the Mariinsky to bring Don Q so soon after the Bolshoi, or to bring it at all really. Viktoria Tereshkina and Kimin Kim didn’t have the same chemistry Alexandrova/Lantratov had, although I suppose that's to be expected (I missed that much feted Osipova/Vasiliev Don Q unfortunately), and seemed to be more focussed on the steps rather than the characters. Tereshkina had an almost permanent grin on her face, but it seemed to be mostly directed out towards the audience rather than towards Kim.

My biggest bug bear of the evening were the multiple curtain calls and stopping mid-act for applause. The curtain call between scenes in act 3 confused a few people, who weren’t sure if it was all over or if there was another interval. I understand this is fairly typical with Russian companies, but I don’t remember the Bolshoi being this bad last year? I may be misremembering of course. After the first act, which nearly bored me to tears, I began to feel like the applause was being milked.

Talking of applause… I don’t think I’ve ever heard people scream (& I mean literally), and make so much noise before after a variation on stage. Maybe I’ve just managed to miss those types of performances before (& maybe it was just a group of people near where I was sitting?), but it really surprised me. I think the loudest screams came after Kim’s act 3 solo & Tereshkina’s fouettes. Both were technically outstanding, but I have to admit the reaction somewhat surprised me: it was good, but not that good (in my opinion, of course!).

I’m glad others mentioned the La Bayadere/carpet dance part. It really confused me. I almost found it amusing, thinking to myself ‘silly, doesn’t she know Bayadere isn’t until August?’. I’ve never seen a Don Q where this happens… is it included on the DVD with Novikova/Sarafanov in the lead roles? If so, I must have conveniently erased it from memory.

Did anyone else find it really noticeable that Tereshkina had donned white tights in the scene before the Dryads, whereas before she had been bare legged (I guess it made the change into her Dulcinea costume easier)? And, one last thought, I found Don Q to be quite insipid. I’ve seen Don Q’s before who have genuinely made me feel sorry for them, but this one elicited no feelings at all.

Some positives: I thought the lighting was nice and bright in act I. I also quite liked the warm/yellow lighting in the Dryad scene. It felt very autumnal (perhaps not the effect they were aiming for though). I also loved the costumes – ok, perhaps not all of them (skipping over act I entirely here) – but the entire Dryad section & a lot of the tutus/dresses in Act 3 were beautiful.

The dancing was technically superb. In act 2, Ekaterina Chebykina was a strong Queen of the Dryads (I felt at ease watching her do those Italian fouettes), as was Tamara Gimadieva as Cupid. Kim had good height to his jumps & didn’t budge an inch on those single handed lifts. Tereshkina was equally strong – I especially liked her variation in the Dryad scene – and I’m looking forward to seeing her in La Bayadere (along with the corps in the Shades scene).

Overall, a somewhat lacklustre start for me, but I’m hoping it can only get better. I admit to feeling somewhat fatigued over the choice of guesting companies… I’d love to see a different company next time (RDB, NYCB… I can dream, right?). Then again, I may feel better after Swan Lake tomorrow. We shall see.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Lenore said:

I’m glad others mentioned the La Bayadere/carpet dance part. It really confused me. I almost found it amusing, thinking to myself ‘silly, doesn’t she know Bayadere isn’t until August?’. I’ve never seen a Don Q where this happens… is it included on the DVD with Novikova/Sarafanov in the lead roles? If so, I must have conveniently erased it from memory.

The “oriental” dance does feature in the recording of the Mariinsky production with Novikova and Sarafanov, but it has a bit more context than as seen in the London performance (which I saw on Monday).

On the DVD, the dancer enters with a be-turbaned male companion, who accompanies her on a tambour. They are obviously meant to be itinerant (Moorish?) performers, and, as they exit, the inn-keeper gives money to the man.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, James said:

The “oriental” dance does feature in the recording of the Mariinsky production with Novikova and Sarafanov, but it has a bit more context than as seen in the London performance (which I saw on Monday).

On the DVD, the dancer enters with a be-turbaned male companion, who accompanies her on a tambour. They are obviously meant to be itinerant (Moorish?) performers, and, as they exit, the inn-keeper gives money to the man.

Thank you for the answer. I wonder why they removed the context?

Re Tereshkina's fouettes, they were remarkable, I've never seen a dancer raise the fan above her head whilst performing doubles - ever.  Whatever the response it was deserved.

My benchmark Kitri and Basil are Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev not Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev, Maxinova performed her fouettes with hands on hips I remember, but it was her infectious sense of fun that gave her ownership of  the role.

• Like 6

Greetings to all Ballet.coers and friends.  I have not been this time around, but I remember Tereskina's fouettes about a decade or so ago at a little-attended matinee at the Birmingham Hippodrome, when she did exactly that trick with the fan whilst performing doubles.  It remains with me as an extraordinary moment of ballet artistry from a truly great ballerina.  I love this production, especially the Dulcinea sequence; I love the Bolshoi's also and celebrate the fact that both productions, in their different and engaging ways, honour a masterpiece that brightens our ballet-going days.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, IPalmer said:

I have not been this time around, 

Will you make it next week, Ian, or in the third week of the tour? I really miss your remarkable reviews and regret now that I didn't collect them. Some of them were masterpieces.

• Like 3

I have just been to the matinee and Elena Yevseyeva was stunning.  One of the best Kitris I have ever seen.  Aside from her magnificent technique, her characterisation was beautiful, cheeky, flirtatious and fun. She sparkled throughout like the Mediterranean sunlight dancing on a Spanish sea.  Gorgeous!  

• Like 10

Just now, Sim said:

I have just been to the matinee and Elena Yevseyeva was stunning.  One of the best Kitris I have ever seen.  Aside from her magnificent technique, her characterisation was beautiful, cheeky, flirtatious and fun. She sparkled throughout like the Mediterranean sunlight dancing on a Spanish sea.  Gorgeous!  

I was just composing something on the matinee when your post popped up and as I can't put it better (or even as well) I'll just say that I agree with every word. 

Today was not one of the better performances I've seen from Yermakov, his partnering was good but his solos unimpressive. 

Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova danced a beautiful Act 3 variation.  Maria Lebedeva's Mercedes has the most pliable back I've ever seen. Sergeyev was again a terrific Espada, but he has so much else in his repetoire that I'm surprised so little use is being made of him on this tour. By contrast, Chebykina seems to be cast in all the major soloist and principal roles and I just don't understand why. Yet again today she danced the Queen of the Dryads and although she's technically strong (no problem with the Italian fouettes) her upper body seems to lack the softness, grace and elegance (not the right words) that the women in the corps have. 

• Like 2

Just came back from the evening performance of "Don Quixote" . What an amazing performance! Everything was great: the orchestra, the dancers, the costumes, the scene set! Anastasia Matvienko danced beautifully and showed perfect partnership with Timur Askerov! There was unfortunately a couple of unlucky moments when Anastasia's foot slipped and she kneeled for a moment and Espada also had been a bit unstable in his performance in the third act but it didn't ruin the great atmosphere the dancers managed to create on the scene. 

Now I'll be waiting for the "Swan lake" on Monday!

I thought the hero of the evening was conductor Alexei Repnikov who really picked up the pace, whether at the request of the dancers or out of regard for the score I don't know, but the contrast with the turgid first night tempi was remarkable.  The whole performance somehow seemed to sparkle and the audience was certainly having a good time with Askerov's mock suicide eliciting more laughter than I've hard in years.   Kitri and Basilio were believable as a couple (not always the case) and the dancers all seemed to be enjoying the evening as much as we were.

A  special word for Renata Shakirova who danced the third act variation, she was just gorgeous.  I admire her so much, I do hope she doesn't get put on the back burner and left there like other prime talents.

I have to say that it's been a long time since I've enjoyed a Don Q as much as I did this afternoon's performance.  I too echo Sim's comments about Yevseyeva (and Anna's about Yermakov, as well).  Everyone on stage appeared to be having fun, and it was contagious - so different to what I saw earlier in the run.  And MAB's point about the change of conductor may apply ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MAB said:

I thought the hero of the evening was conductor Alexei Repnikov who really picked up the pace, whether at the request of the dancers or out of regard for the score I don't know, but the contrast with the turgid first night tempi was remarkable.  

Agree that Repnikov is a vast improvement.

16 hours ago, Sim said:

Thank you - you've saved me struggling for the words. Just terrific.

I yield to the more expert views of others on technical aspects of Yermakov's performance but he had such an engaging stage presence and such good chemistry with her, that I was carried along regardless by the joie-de-vivre emanating from the stage. I've occasionally noticed it before with partnerships, that the superior qualities of the one can make up for any shortfalls in the other (even in solos), a side-effect of "chemistry", perhaps.

Sergeyev was again an excellent Espada. I see he's down to do Toreador in Carmen Suite. Type-casting? I'd like to have seen him as something else.

I see that all three are First Soloists.

I'll be very interested to see how Mr Repnikov approaches Swan Lake in terms of tempi on Monday.

• Like 2

Just to chime in to agree with pretty much everything that has been said about the Saturday DonQs. Yevseyeva has the rare combination of exquisite comedic timing, awe inspiring dancing and real stage presence and charm. She didn't just quickly shake her tabourine in the one handed lifts, she did something different each time and managed to convey the equivalent of a cheeky wink at the audience. Her variation in the dryad scene was beautiful an ethereal, and her fouettés were to die for. Her arms went above her head for some, and she finished with having one arm on her hip, making it all look so easy whilst turning perfectly and finishing with a little flourish. Yermakov was a little underpowered which I didn't expect after his Rothbarting, but hopefully he'll get that ironed out.

I thought Matvienk and Askerov were competent, but not desperately exciting in their Swan Lake, so it was lovely to see them come properly to live in their DonQ. Matvienko is probably never going to be what I would think of as a dance actress, so I was pretty chuffed with her Kitri - not exuberant, but light and charming, a little exasperated with her Basilio at times. They appeared like a charming couple of long standing and I thought their partnership worked really well. 

Gimadieva's Cupid was once again a real delight, and it was great to see a bit more of Shakirova in the act 3 variation - she's such a beautiful dancer and I hope to see her in a bunch of leading roles when the Mariinsky comes back for its next London season.

The Saturday performances were a perfect antidote to the initial slow start of the DonQ, and I'm exceedingly glad that I didn't return one of my tickets. 

• Like 8

Saw both DonQs on Saturday.  My favourite was the matinee for all the above reasons.  Yevseyeva was amazing in her 32 fouettes with her arms above her head several times and one arm with the other holding her skirt - awesome!  Not so Matvienko in the evening.  The audience were more appreciative int eh evening but really I think the matinee cast deserved the same level of adoration.Extremely impressed with Yevseyeva and she was ably partnered by Andrey Yermakov who performed better one hand lifts I felt than Askerov in the evening.  Some curtain call pics from the matinee:-

DGpdTDrXkAEar6E.jpg

DGpdI-GXsAAv3rV.jpg

DGpdNauXsAAACmO.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the lovely pictures. Very glad that you liked Elena Yevseyeva as much as you did. I saw her do Kitri several years ago and thought that she was absolutely vibrant. I was also very impressed with how well she handled the drama and technical demands of The Bronze Horseman last year in St. Petersburg.

• Like 2

Thanks, DQF - particularly for the reminder of the many beautiful tutus this production contains :)

(And I love the design of the dryad-scene ones - I was trying to work out how they could be adapted for Valses Nobles et Sentimentales, or Les Rendezvous)

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:08, Sim said:

Enjoyed the adorable sparkling Elena Yevseyeva with Sim on Saturday - she was absolutely brilliant - such a wonderful sense of fun and her technique was brilliant without being flashy - one of the best Kitri's I have every seen - loved her performance, a pure joy !!!

• Like 2

Really gorgeous piccies Don Q fan. Since people here started posting about this Don Q performance have been looking on YouTube at Evseeva  videos and she does look a really vivacious dancer. Unfortunately don't think she's in the matinee performance of  Bayadere this Saturday. The other dancer who caught my eye watching these videos was Shakirova haven't seen either of these dancers before.

• Like 1