Associates in east of England?

Splitz

I know there are a zillion posts on associates and I've tried a search but... I'm on the lookout for associates programmes in the east of England - apart from Dance East in Ipswich (which I understand is not so ballet focused) I can't seem to find anything in our corner of the country - so many are based in London/southeast/midlands way. My dd is 10 (end of yr 5) and on swl for JAs, but assuming a place doesn't come up she would love to do some extra training over the coming year, and it would be great to find somewhere reasonably close to home!

Thanks

I believe Norfolk Dance association replaced what was Norfolk ballet scholars, Rachel Hunt from ENBS teaches. From website doesn't appear to run regularly but still an opportunity to work with a different teacher and meet dancers from outside your own studio. 

Dance East finished it's ballet scholars a number of years ago which was a shame as small classes and variety of teachers. 

English Youth Ballet is a good opportunity when it is in Norwich. 

There might be something over in Cambridge area now otherwise it is a trip to London. 

There is Cambridgeshire Youth Ballet; Three Counties Youth Ballet based in Hertfordshire; and there's Harlow Ballet Association and Chelmsford Ballet Company in Essex as well. They aren't associate programmes as such, they put on annual performances and invite local dancers to audition to take part. Don't know of anything in Norfolk or Suffolk though.

1 hour ago, Harwel said:

Norfolk dance association is pretty much finished now. Shame that after all the years it's been in existence that Ilsa didn't put a succession plan in place. 

It is a shame as was a good scheme and it was at Norfolk scholars that dd was taught by Jackie Barrett and the seed of vocational training was planted, her own teacher had never mentioned it as an option. 

• Like 3

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ilsa on behalf of ALL the children (and their parents) who have benefitted from her devotion and determination. Ilsa has provided support for their ballet lessons and careers over the last 35 years and I wish her a speedy recovery and much love xx

• Like 4

Agreed Canary, David and Ilsa did a wonderful job creating the association and have added to the enjoyment and development of Childrens dancing in the area for almost 40 years - I was one of the first beneficiaries - just a shame it's coming to an end. 

Thanks for your replies. I'm familiar with TCYB but not Harlow or Cambridgeshire ones - anyone had any experience with either of them?

I'm not aware of any in the Cambridge area. And that is a shame about the Norfolk Dance association.

It does seem that the east of England is under-represented in ballet - the RBS JAs for example covers 8 corners of England and completely misses out East Anglia!

7 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

There is Cambridge Ballet Academy set up in 2016 by Mark Swann (you can easily look up the website) which has Associates.  I don't have any first hand experience, but teachers I know and respect say he is very good.

Thanks. I spotted this already actually, but dd's ballet teacher knew nothing about it (or the teacher) so wasn't keen on her auditioning for it just yet. But interesting you have heard good things :)

On 7/18/2017 at 11:03, Canary said:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ilsa on behalf of ALL the children (and their parents) who have benefitted from her devotion and determination. Ilsa has provided support for their ballet lessons and careers over the last 35 years and I wish her a speedy recovery and much love xx

I'm a parent whose daughter benefitted last summer from her summer school. My daughter is gutted that this years is cancelled (due to sickness) but I hadn't known until reading here that it's Ilsa that's poorly :(. Wishing her well too.

• Like 1

Chelmsford Ballet Company do monthly company classes that non-members can attend. My daughter has attended a couple and she has thoroughly enjoyed them - though found them quite difficult as she is at the lower ability end of the range. South East Ballet Scholars offers weekly training but may be too far south? They're based in Essex near Brentwood. It's a real shame DanceEast in Ipswich doesn't have a significant ballet content.

Oh and EYB is in Norwich every couple of years. Not an associate scheme I know but still an opportunity for some extra ballet training.

Edited by OnlyDance
To add EYB information