Hiya guys,

How is everyone doing? Just a check in and a few question for parents of older dancers.

My 10 year old DS is struggling with these long limbs that have appeared out of nowhere! He's developed a clumsiness that would put Bambi to shame and it's like his brain hasn't caught up with how fast he's growing!!!

Bit of a problem for a dancer! ? So what age did your boys and girls catch up with their limbs?? Were there any particular spatial awareness exercises you came across?

How can I help him through the Bambi/Goofy stage with his street cred! ??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrsMoo2 said:

it's like his brain hasn't caught up with how fast he's growing!!!

Funnily enough, that's exactly what's happening! He'll be fine:)

It takes a little while for everything to catch up. It is a bit like playing tennis with a racquet a foot longer than you are used to, you can't hit the ball until you have re-developed the spatial awareness of a longer racquet and the time it takes to move to the right position. It is also worth taking it a bit easier in class for a bit, and leave out the stretching as the muscles are already stretched to try and catch up with the sudden increase in length of the bones. 

• Like 3

I can definitely relate to this. DS is 11 and for the last couple of years this has been him at regular intervals. He struggles with pain in his heels when he has had a growth spurt, too, which isn't helpful. His ballet teacher has helped him focus on strengthening his core so that he feels more centred, but I think it's just one of those things as they are growing. It does improve over time, but DS has struggled with confidence at times. I think he's now resigned himself to the fact that as he grows he will have to put up with it! xx

We were told that pain in the heels during a growth spurt was caused by Severs disease - but as usual it's because of the disparity in length of muscles/bones due to the sudden growth. Wishing your son not many more episodes of heel pain along with the Bambi look! 

• Like 2

Last year DD had one leg longer than the other during a growth spurt which threw her hips out of alignment and this year has problems with arms which has thrown her shoulders out.  Thankfully she has not been too concerned but we have seen some rather odd positioning.  I definitely agree that working on core strength has helped and this last year we steered her towards classes that allowed her to develop this and also given her some private lessons.  She was able to tell the teacher what she wanted to work on and this has helped her confidence and given her lots to work on over the summer.  I am not sure how long this will go on but I think the key is supporting them and moving the breakables!

• Like 1

Interesting again to see how normal changes in a child often appear magnified in a DC due to the intense training & let's face it, frankly unusual positions/movements they do! 

Word of advice....take care when seeing professionals who have little/no experience of dancers/sportspeople. We saw a podiatrist when heel pain struck who basically said straight off don't expect to ever dance again. The fear & panic that a massive life change may be enforced onto a child was awful & incredibly tactless & inept I thought. however, a change of daily footwear (away from dreadful flatter than flat Velcro fastened shoes), paying more attention to stance, leg alignment & reminding not to roll all helped improve the situation swiftly - as did just settling into the new height/body shape. If we need advice/help/physio again I would certainly seek out a dance/sports specific professional & steer away from those whom mostly see Johnny Average.